Can't Ping AS/400

Robert Ramsdell

Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99
I am setting up TCP/IP on our AS/400. I have configured the AS/400 and I
can ping the AS/400, however, I cannot ping any other machine on the
network. In addition, any other machine cannot ping the AS/400.

All of the machines are Win95, with a few NT servers, a CheckPoint
FireWall-1 firewall, and a Cisco router (outside of the firewall). The
firewall is set as the default gateway.

The network is setup with 172.27.0.0 addresses (255.255.0.0 is the subnet
mask). 172.27.1.1 is the default gateway. IP addresses are assigned
through DHCP on an NT box. DNS is run from the same NT box.

The AS/400 was configured on the AS/400 with an address of 172.27.1.11 and
subnet mask of 255.255.0.0, following the Client Accesss manual's setup
guidelines.

I have tried the configuration with and without a default gateway entry of
*DFTROUTE, *NONE, *NORMAL, 172.27.1.1

Is there any else besides restarting TCP in TCPADM that needs to be
restarted (ie ETHLINE)?

Robert Ramsdell

Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99
Another Question...

I currently have ETHLINE defined for our ethernet connection to the AS/400.
Do I need to set up an additional Line Description for TCP (ie ETHTCP)?

Robert Ramsdell wrote in message <0hJm2.24$US5...@news.ntplx.net>...

>I am setting up TCP/IP on our AS/400. I have configured the AS/400 and I
>can ping the AS/400, however, I cannot ping any other machine on the
>network. In addition, any other machine cannot ping the AS/400.

<SNIP>

Paul Nicolay

Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99
Hi Robert,

No. Just configure TCP/IP via CFGTCP, start it and OS/400 will do the rest
(ie. creating the necessary controllers...)

Regards,
Paul
--------------------
Robert Ramsdell <ramsdellr...@ntplx.net> wrote in article
<__Jm2.25$US5...@news.ntplx.net>...

my employer, Merck & Co., Inc. All responsibility for the statements
sender.

Robert Ramsdell

Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99
Thanks for the reply!

Any ideas why I can ping the local loopback on the AS/400, but nothing else
on the network?
BTW, nothing else on the network can ping the AS/400, either. I did a
packet capture and found that the AS/400 was not replying to ARP requests.

Jeff Crosby

Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99
Robert Ramsdell wrote:

> The network is setup with 172.27.0.0 addresses
>

> The AS/400 was configured on the AS/400 with an address of 172.27.1.11 and

I don't know if this is it, this is a wild stab. When I set mine up
with addresses starting at 192.168.0.0, everything was OK until I
decided I wanted a particular PC at 192.168.1.0. That one could not
ping or be pinged.

Then someone told me the first 3 numbers had to be the same. I.E., they
all had to be 192.168.0.? due to the address class or something. When I
changed that PC's address to 192.168.0.11, with no other changes than
that, it worked fine.

--
-Jeff

jlcr...@fwi.com

Barry deFreese

Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99
You cannot use a .0 or .255 address for a host. The .0 address is
reserved for the network address and .255 is the broadcast address.

Barry deFreese

On Tue, 12 Jan 1999 12:19:48 -0500, Jeff Crosby <jlcr...@fwi.com>

Jeff Crosby

Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99
Barry deFreese wrote:

> You cannot use a .0 or .255 address for a host. The .0 address is
> reserved for the network address and .255 is the broadcast address.

I misspoke(tm). I started at 192.168.0.1.

(tm) "misspoke" is a trademark of Richard Nixon, circa early 1970's. <g>

--
-Jeff

jlcr...@fwi.com

tho...@inorbit.com

Jan 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/13/99
Robert:

Is the interface started (i.e., status shows "Active")?

Tom Liotta

In article <KQKm2.26$US5...@news.ntplx.net>,

Robert Ramsdell

Jan 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/13/99
Yup.

When I start the TCP Servers from the TCPADM screen, everything appears to
start properly. I checked NETSTAT *CNN and the daemons appear to be
listening.

As stange note, when I do STRHOSTSVR SERVER(*ALL), I get a error message
about the host being unable to start the IPX daemon. Are they refering to
NetWare's IPX? If so, we don't run IPX on the AS/400.

Anyone know why would I get this message?

Jack J. Woehr

Jan 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/13/99
Robert Ramsdell wrote:

> Thanks for the reply!
>
> Any ideas why I can ping the local loopback on the AS/400, but nothing else
> on the network?
> BTW, nothing else on the network can ping the AS/400, either. I did a
> packet capture and found that the AS/400 was not replying to ARP requests.

There are lots of possible glitches.

You could have an address configured which requires routing. Do you
understand IP routing?

There is a "feature" in some levels of OS/400 in which the MTU can
be too large. Read appropriate APARs and reduce MTU accordingly, even
in SNA configuration, how the heck those two got tangled, only IBM knows.

If all else fails, hire a consultant. Shouldn't take but an hour to
fix.

--
Jack J. Woehr # The Drug War is Race War
PO Box 51, Golden, CO 80402 # The Drug War is Class War.

Samwise Gamgee

Jan 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/13/99
Just ignore the message. If you're at V2R2 or above you dont need the
STRHOST cmd.

Samwise Gamgee

Jan 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/13/99
You're absolutely right, Jeff.

tho...@inorbit.com

Jan 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/14/99
Robert:

The message is normal and in essence is simply a confirmation of your
configuration. You don't have IPX configured, so it can't start the IPX
daemon. Exactly what you want to see.

BTW, are you following the thread "Why won't TCP/IP work???" Good tidbit in
there on Ethernet frame size.

Tom Liotta

In article <g31n2.39$US5...@news.ntplx.net>,

"Robert Ramsdell" <ramsdellr...@ntplx.net> wrote:
> Yup.
>
> When I start the TCP Servers from the TCPADM screen, everything appears to
> start properly. I checked NETSTAT *CNN and the daemons appear to be
> listening.
>
> As stange note, when I do STRHOSTSVR SERVER(*ALL), I get a error message
> about the host being unable to start the IPX daemon. Are they refering to
> NetWare's IPX? If so, we don't run IPX on the AS/400.
>
> Anyone know why would I get this message?
>
> tho...@inorbit.com wrote in message <77h4sf$o7v$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
> >Robert:
> >
> >Is the interface started (i.e., status shows "Active")?
> >
> >Tom Liotta
> >
> >In article <KQKm2.26$US5...@news.ntplx.net>,

> > "Robert Ramsdell" <ramsdellr...@ntplx.net> wrote:
> >> Thanks for the reply!
> >>
> >> Any ideas why I can ping the local loopback on the AS/400, but nothing
> else
> >> on the network?
> >> BTW, nothing else on the network can ping the AS/400, either. I did a
> >> packet capture and found that the AS/400 was not replying to ARP
> requests.

sami...@bix.com

Jan 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/14/99
I have a system at OS/400 V3R2 that has an address of 192.168.0.0 subnet of
255.255.255.0, talking to CA PC's on ethernet by TCP/IP, everything works
fine. My understanding is that you can use an entire address that computes
to 0 or 255, i.e. 0.0.0.0 or 255.255.255.255. Max/min value for _segments_
should be OK.
On Tue, 12 Jan 1999 19:37:17 GMT Barry deFreese of SpeedGate Communications
Inc. wrote this re Re: Can't Ping AS/400:

>You cannot use a .0 or .255 address for a host. The .0 address is
>reserved for the network address and .255 is the broadcast address.
Scott A. Miller
sami...@bix.com sami...@cyberenet.net
card carrying member of the Java Conspiracy

Barry deFreese

Jan 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/14/99
In a class C subnet the .0 and .255 addresses should not be used for
hosts. Check with the IETF, your ISP, anyone!

Barry deFreese
Manager Network Services
Sports Specialties Corp.
bdef...@sportsspecialties.com

It's much easier to get forgiveness than permission!

sami...@bix.com

Jan 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/14/99
Oops. Shoulda read: "My understanding is that you CAN'T use an entire

address that computes to 0 or 255, i.e. 0.0.0.0 or 255.255.255.255"
On 14 Jan 1999 13:50:28 GMT samiller of BIX Squire wrote this re Re: Can't
Ping AS/400:

>My understanding is that you can use an entire address that computes
>to 0 or 255, i.e. 0.0.0.0 or 255.255.255.255.

Martin Ferreira

Jan 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/15/99
Hi Robert,

This seems to be quite a strange problem.

I have a feeling that the AS400 thinks he is on a different subnet to the
rest of the network and will therefore send the packet to the default
gateway.
A suggestion would be to isolate the AS400....put a hub on the AS400 and
connect a pc to it and try to communicate. This way you will not be affected
by dhcp,etc. When the AS400 responds to a ping to itself it does not go onto
the network itself, it merely talks to its loopback address which is an
internal function.
On the pc you can do a traceroute and see where this packet is going.
Hope it helps

Martin

Robert Ramsdell

Jan 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/15/99
Thanks for the info.

I have been following the thread as well as emailing back and forth with
Tim. We are no up and running with a few PCs connection via TCP/IP. Once
we get the configurations fine tuned, we will be a migration from the
NetSoft Router to TCP/IP.