Client Access Connection Problem

Geoff Wiggs

Feb 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/7/99
Hello All,
Having a problem with CA400. Anyone care to take a guess?

I have a new AS/400 model 170-2290. Preloaded with CA400.
An 8 port Netgear Ethernet hub.
A Gateway 2000 455Mhz PC with an Intel EtherExpress Pro 100+ card.

My 400 is running V4R3M0. It's only been on-site for 2 weeks, fresh out of
Rochester.

My host table seems to be set up fine.
I can successfully ping from my AS/400 to my pc and from my PC to my AS/400.
I can successfully cwbping from my PC to my as/400

If I use Telnet I get a signon screen on my PC.

HOWEVER, when I try to start the client access connection, the process
always times out. Giving the System not available message. Following the
help text advice about starting and stopping TCP and the Host servers makes
no difference.

When I try to connect I can hear the AS/400 accessing the hard drives. So
far nothing I've tried has worked.

I've checked the QUSER profile. Everything looks okay there.

When I track down the error I eventually come to the following:
" A connection with a remote socket was reset b y that socket.
Host server communications error
occurred on
recv() - MSG_PEEK -TCP
Error code 3426 received while processing the
recv() - MSG_PEEK - TCP
"
My cumulative level is at TL98279 Perm

I know that this has run long and is probably annoying by now, but does
anyone have ANY ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Geoff Wiggs, Orcas Technologies
gwi...@orcastech.com

Hui Kiat Bin

Feb 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/8/99
Looks like your Host Servers sockets may be corrupted. Advisable to delete
the Host Servers sockets from the IFS structure and restart the Host
Servers. Furthermore install the latest CUM PTF for V4R3M0. You may have to
report to IBM on this problem because I remember there is a similar problem
in V3R2M0 which requires PTF to resolve. If not every time you restart the
Host Servers you must delete the QSERVER sockets from the IFS structure.

/QIBM/ProdData/OS400/Servers
--
Thanks and Much Appreciated

Regards,
Hui Kiat Bin

Jack E. Kingsley II

Feb 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/8/99
I don't have an exact answer, but what version of Client Access on the
PC and Host.

Jan Megannon

Feb 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/25/99
Just a thought, go check how many virtual devices you can auto create as per
your QAUTOVRT (?) system value.

Hope this helps.
Cheers.

Jan Megannon

Podnars

Feb 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/26/99
When you installed client access on the PC do
you remember it asking you about a DNS server?
If you answer it one way (can't remember what the
screen says -sorry) it will locally for a host table.
The file name is HOST.SAM and is located in
the windows directory on win95. If you edit this file
by putting in your systems IP address than host name
(I think that the order - it should have a sample one
in there) and than fire up CA400 it should connect.

Hope this helps.

hoy

Feb 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/27/99
Important little side tip on HOSTS.SAM...

HOSTS.SAM is a "sample" HOSTS file. The actual file must be named
HOSTS in the same directory as HOSTS.SAM came from.
Surf Usenet at home, on the road, and by email -- always at Talkway.