FTP source members AS400-PC-AS400

Neil

Mar 24, 2003, 5:20:43 AM3/24/03
Is there a simple user guide for FTP from AS400 to PC (and back again). I am
having trouble getting a source member from the AS400:

ftp> get QSYS.LIB/library.LIB/sourcefile.FILE

But it tells me that the specified object name is too long. Help!

Thanks in advance.
Neil.

Marc Rauzier

Mar 24, 2003, 6:48:35 AM3/24/03
Neil racontait dans comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc:

> Hi,

Hello

> Is there a simple user guide for FTP from AS400 to PC (and back
> again). I am having trouble getting a source member from the
> AS400:
>
> ftp> get QSYS.LIB/library.LIB/sourcefile.FILE

This syntax (with a starting "/") would be correct if you use the IFS
name format. By default, the FTP server uses the library name format.

Try :

cd library
get sourcefile.FILE/member.MBR

or

get library.LIB/sourcefile.FILE/member.MBR

--
Cordialement/Best regards
Marc Rauzier

Volker Jordan

Mar 24, 2003, 7:09:57 AM3/24/03

try the command 'quote site namefmt 1' .

You need this for accessing the libraries from a NT-Computer.

regards

Volker

"Neil" <ca...@remember.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Neil

Mar 24, 2003, 7:34:21 AM3/24/03
Thanks for your help guys. That works fine.
How about transfering a savefile?
Neil

"Volker Jordan" <vjo...@stud.uni-frankfurt.de> wrote in message

Volker Jordan

Mar 24, 2003, 7:50:46 AM3/24/03
Hi Neil,

there is no difference. Be sure to use binary transmission.

regards

Volker

"Neil" <ca...@remember.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Me

Mar 24, 2003, 7:32:53 AM3/24/03
Just simply use :-

get lib/srcfile.member

Sivaprasad

Mar 24, 2003, 9:21:25 AM3/24/03
"Neil" <ca...@remember.com> wrote in message news:<b5mm54$73c$1$8302...@news.demon.co.uk>...

Are u trying to FTP from the PC (DOS command line)?. The AS400 server
must be told to accept name in the IFS format that you have specified.

before the get command give the command
quote site namefmt 1

This is because by default it uses the AS400 specific format.

siva

QMAGIC

Mar 24, 2003, 10:45:32 AM3/24/03
I agree that it appeares that the name format for the AS/400 is set to
the AS/400 format.

So the GET command would look like this:

"Get Lib_Name/File_Name"

If you needed to get a member it would be like this:
"Get Lib_Name/File_Name.Member_Name"

This is NOT CORRECT:
"get sourcefile.FILE/member.MBR"

Hope it helps,
Dan

Marc Rauzier

Mar 24, 2003, 11:21:25 AM3/24/03
QMAGIC racontait dans comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc:

> I agree that it appeares that the name format for the AS/400 is
> set to the AS/400 format.
>
> So the GET command would look like this:
>
> "Get Lib_Name/File_Name"
>
> If you needed to get a member it would be like this:
> "Get Lib_Name/File_Name.Member_Name"
>
> This is NOT CORRECT:
> "get sourcefile.FILE/member.MBR"

250 "/QSYS.LIB/QGPL.LIB" is current library.
ftp> get qclsrc.file/x.mbr
200 PORT subcommand request successful.
150 Retrieving member X in file QCLSRC in library QGPL.
250 File transfer completed successfully.

Bent Ronne

Mar 24, 2003, 11:46:02 AM3/24/03
Hi Neil.

If you are looking for a way to "backup" data from one AS/400 and
restore it one the same or another system, please take a look at
ZipSeries. ZipSeries are free in this spring and can be found at
www.ZipSeries.com

Regards,
Agent Data

Bent Ronne

Dan Hicks

Mar 24, 2003, 7:57:20 PM3/24/03
A hint: If the first cd, get, put, etc that you do in a session
contains a leading "/" in the path then the session will be set to
use IFS file naming style. If the "/" is absent, then the session
will be set to use OS/400 style names.

--
Dan Hicks
When you are in it up to your ears, keep your mouth shut.

John

Mar 25, 2003, 8:20:02 PM3/25/03
> Hi,
> Is there a simple user guide for FTP from AS400 to PC (and back again). I
am
> having trouble getting a source member from the AS400:
>
> ftp> get QSYS.LIB/library.LIB/sourcefile.FILE
>
> But it tells me that the specified object name is too long. Help!
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Neil.

That's because by default, FTP assumes your in the qsys.lib file system, so
use:

If you want to use the IFS to get this, enter the following:

QUOTE SITE NAMEFMT 1

then issue the ftp command (but why would you bother?)

Dan Hicks

Mar 25, 2003, 9:44:45 PM3/25/03

Yeah, I can never remember QUOTE SITE NAMEFMT 1, so I always just do
a cd / or some such right at the start.

--
Dan Hicks
In nothing do men approach so nearly to the gods as in doing good to