Ethernet instead of Token Ring on Type1 cable?

Walter

Jul 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/18/00
We connect PCs with Token Ring adapters via Type 1 cabling to HUBs. Works
fine, no Baluns or whatever needed.
No I want to add a Ethernet LAN. Does Ethernet also work via Type 1 cabling
by just using RJ45-Type1 patch cables on the PC and HUB side?

Walter

derekl...@my-deja.com

Jul 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/19/00
Hi Walter,

Type 1 cabling will work for 10BaseT ethernet, but not for 100 Base TX
or gigabit ethernet.

Cabletron's website at
http://www.cabletron.com/support/dni-config/cables/et_cable.htm
goes into more detail.

I hope this helps

Derek Linders
EDS Innovations
Halifax, Nova Scotia

In article <8l1pn6$2u9b$1...@euler.space.net>,

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Brian Scott

Jul 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/22/00
We ran Eternet over Type 1 for a few years (before we recabled with Cat-5)
using 10bt to Type 1 baluns from BlackBox. By the way, I just looked and
they now have a balun that supports 100BaseTX. (Haven't tried that one,
though.)

Daniel Hicks

Jul 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/27/00
Walter wrote:

> We connect PCs with Token Ring adapters via Type 1 cabling to HUBs. Works
> fine, no Baluns or whatever needed.
> No I want to add a Ethernet LAN. Does Ethernet also work via Type 1 cabling
> by just using RJ45-Type1 patch cables on the PC and HUB side?

Note that you need different patch cables or adapters from those you'd
use for TR -- they use different pairs in the 4-pair Cat-5 cable.
DataComm Warehouse carries them, I think.