HP PRIME GRAPHING CALCULATOR - 2013

Gustavo Portales

Mar 31, 2013, 10:40:25 PM3/31/13
This information data of February 2013, it's a hp50g successor?
http://Gaak.co/y4fihp

Cheers.
http://www.gaak.org

Gustavo Portales

Mar 31, 2013, 11:24:40 PM3/31/13
ok, more info:

Legal Trademark
http://Gaak.co/5nm3ot

Date
1/31/2013

Stock backorder USD 112.95
http://Gaak.co/kkmmkf

Cheers.
http.//www.gaak.org

Bruce Horrocks

Apr 1, 2013, 5:51:16 AM4/1/13
Well spotted on finding the trademark application but the name could
equally well apply to a new, low-end model.

:-(
--
Bruce Horrocks
Surrey

Georg Bisseling

Apr 1, 2013, 5:56:48 AM4/1/13
Am 01.04.2013, 11:51 Uhr, schrieb Bruce Horrocks <07....@scorecrow.com>:

> On 01/04/2013 03:40, Gustavo Portales wrote:
>> This information data of February 2013, it's a hp50g successor?
>> http://Gaak.co/y4fihp
>>
>> Cheers.
>> http://www.gaak.org
>>

> Well spotted on finding the trademark application but the name could
> equally well apply to a new, low-end model.
>
> :-(

Or even worse: a merchandising contract for the "Transformers 3" movie.
;-)

--
http://www.this-page-intentionally-left-blank.org/

john...@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2013, 1:14:19 AM4/2/13

in...@ti-bank.fr

Apr 2, 2013, 2:28:14 AM4/2/13

David Griffith

Apr 2, 2013, 10:36:03 PM4/2/13
Here's to hoping they put the ENTER key back where it belongs.

--
David Griffith
davidmy...@acm.org <--- Put my last name where it belongs

TW

Apr 3, 2013, 9:27:26 AM4/3/13
> Here's to hoping they put the ENTER key back where it belongs.

The dust bin of history? A museum? ;-P

TW

BartdB

Apr 4, 2013, 5:33:16 AM4/4/13
Sad, but I guess that's where it's going.

BartdB

Apr 8, 2013, 8:11:40 AM4/8/13
NCTM conference is coming up next week.

I'm sure many calculator manufacturers will have something new/modified/upgraded to show.

Can't help but wonder....

mnhol...@yahoo.com

Apr 10, 2013, 6:21:09 PM4/10/13
Teachers are only interested in TI. I think math should be taught without a calculator. I've seen too many students who are calculator dependent. Besides, the human brain is the best calculator of them all! Do you think Euler kept a calculator in his shirt pocket?

pablo.serr...@gmail.com

Apr 11, 2013, 3:03:47 AM4/11/13
El jueves, 11 de abril de 2013 00:21:09 UTC+2, mnhol...@yahoo.com escribió:
> Teachers are only interested in TI. I think math should be taught without a calculator. I've seen too many students who are calculator dependent. Besides, the human brain is the best calculator of them all! Do you think Euler kept a calculator in his shirt pocket?

Surely he would kept one if he had the chance, or what dou you think logarithms tables were made for?

BartdB

Apr 18, 2013, 10:14:40 AM4/18/13

> NCTM conference is coming up next week.
>

> I'm sure many calculator manufacturers will have something new/modified/upgraded to show.
>

> Can't help but wonder....

Well, HP have a slot on Friday titled "unveiling graphing excellence".

The description starts with "Attend the unveiling of HP’s breakthrough calculator and discover new, exciting ways to approach mathematics learning."

So, is this just the US version of the 39GII (so far released in the far east & europe but not USA), or is HP Xpanding it's educational calculator line?

johnet123

Apr 19, 2013, 4:20:30 AM4/19/13

in...@ti-bank.fr

Apr 21, 2013, 1:59:27 AM4/21/13

Dueño de Monte

Apr 23, 2013, 3:18:51 PM4/23/13

David Griffith

Apr 24, 2013, 1:06:40 AM4/24/13
I'm a bit miffed as to how they managed to reintroduce the double-wide
ENTER key above the numbers, but on the right instead of left.

John H Meyers

Apr 24, 2013, 5:28:21 AM4/24/13
On 4/24/2013 12:06 AM, David Griffith wrote:

> in...@ti-bank.fr wrote:
>> Picture and features of HP Prime :
>> http://www.calc-bank.com/index.php?mod=news&ac=commentaires&id=1903
>> http://www.calc-bank.com/index.php?mod=news&ac=commentaires&id=1904

> I'm a bit miffed as to how they managed to reintroduce the double-wide
> ENTER key above the numbers, but on the right instead of left.

Who remembers when the "big ENTER key" first appeared on an HP handheld?

Do you happen to also remember on which side of the keyboard
the arithmetic operator keys happened to be? Any idea why?

What was the order (top to bottom) of those operator keys, and why?

Did Ed Liljenwall ever comment on these things,
or can you intuit what he might well have been thinking?

<http://www.hpmuseum.org/9805_15/9815s.jpg> (desktop predecessor)
<http://www.hpmuseum.org/9805_15/9815keys.jpg> {where's ENTER?)
<http://www.hpmuseum.org/35last.jpg> (ENTER is in same column as arith keys)
<http://commerce.hpcalc.org/images/50g-front-medium.jpg> (and still is)
<http://www.solocalculadoras.com/85-511-thickbox/hp-prime.jpg> (here, too)

<http://archive.computerhistory.org/resources/access/text/2011/12/102746048-05-01-acc.pdf>

<http://www.hpl.hp.com/hpjournal/72jun/jun72a3.pdf>

[r->] [OFF]

John H Meyers

Apr 24, 2013, 5:38:40 AM4/24/13

Jim Lipsey

Apr 24, 2013, 11:11:02 AM4/24/13
In none of the photos or video do I find any representation of the Prime being used as a calculator. I realize education is driving the bus in the scientific calculator business, but I'm worried this will be a frustrating tool for professionals. I really don't want to have to navigate an app screen before crunching numbers. Hopefully, it'll have a way to turn off all the 'helpful' UI cruft like the 48GX.

WattSekunde

Apr 28, 2013, 3:09:36 PM4/28/13
I totally agree! Thats the biggest plus of my 48SX over all the others I tried. It's a bit like working in a shell vs. working with windows. Maybe we are a small dying group of shell users out there... ;-(

I don't see RPN on this like there is no RPN on 39gII. :-(. In the available 39gII Manual is nothing to read about stack or RPN.

The only chance I saw here is a community driven OS replacement if the Hardware is as good as it looks.

BartdB

Apr 30, 2013, 5:37:31 AM4/30/13

> I don't see RPN on this like there is no RPN on 39gII. :-(. In the available 39gII Manual is nothing to read about stack or RPN.

Ideed there is no RPN on the 39GII.

However, the Prime will have RPN entry mode, but not for programming (no RPL or SysRPL). Programming will apparently be similar to the 39GII, a bit Pascal-like. See posts by TW in this thread:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/comp.sys.hp48/t_LvY38fJgI

WattSekunde

Apr 30, 2013, 8:49:28 AM4/30/13

> Ideed there is no RPN on the 39GII.
>

> However, the Prime will have RPN entry mode, but not for programming (no RPL or SysRPL). Programming will apparently be similar to the 39GII, a bit Pascal-like. See posts by TW in this thread:

That's sounds good. Programming in other languages ist no problem. If the new Prime works as a good RPN calculator and RPN isn't only another app I'll give it a try. ;-)

But the practicability of RPN in the 48SX was significant higher through RPL. All the object handling was on one level. Complex numbers, equations, units, matrix, etc. all of them come together on one working environment. That was the biggest advance for me against all other handhelds where you have to open an app for each problem domain.

For larger problems/programs RPL was not so ideal. But then I switch to my Mac, Python, Xcode, Maple... and sometimes to my iPad. But I still need real keys for quick and secure calculations.

Toby

May 5, 2013, 6:30:28 PM5/5/13

Eric Rucker

May 5, 2013, 7:42:42 PM5/5/13
On Sunday, May 5, 2013 6:30:28 PM UTC-4, Toby wrote:
> Finally listed, sort of...
>
> http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF04a/215348-215348-64232-30821-215351.html?dnr=1

Although they've clearly copy and pasted specs from the 50g. No wonder some of the rumors got it wrong.

Virgil

Jun 4, 2013, 2:30:28 PM6/4/13
Will the connectivity kit for the Prime provide for connecting to
Macintoshes?

pablo

Jul 22, 2013, 7:52:34 AM7/22/13
On Monday, April 1, 2013 12:40:25 PM UTC+10, Gustavo Portales wrote:
> This information data of February 2013, it's a hp50g successor? http://Gaak.co/y4fihp Cheers. http://www.gaak.org

this link provided from a contributor at the hpmuseum website [try before you buy] [the file (from china) hasn't crashed my computer - pre release of HP prime
emulator]
http://www.cncalc.org/forum.php? mod=viewthread&tid=9087