Introducing CardSwipe - An Original Game for the VIC-20

Payton Byrd

Mar 19, 2011, 8:54:20 AM3/19/11
Instructions:

* Requires 32K VIC-20

CardSwipe is a game of skill where you must collect one of each card (Ace, King, Queen, and Jack). The first person to collect all four cards wins. 4 people can play at once. The winner's score is displayed at the end. The scores are calculated based on the color of the cards in your tray. Black is worth more than Red, which is worth more than Green, which is worth more than Blue.

* There is no AI in this initial version.

You can download on CSDb at:
http://noname.c64.org/csdb/release/?id=98714

Payton Byrd

Mar 19, 2011, 9:24:14 AM3/19/11
Don't use the CSDb link, the entry has been deleted. Please use this link instead:

http://www.paytonbyrd.com/wiki/GetFile.aspx?File=CardSwipe-1.0.d64.zip

Sorry for the inconvenience.

PS. The VIC20 community needs it's own CSDb, or CSDb needs to support the VIC20 as it does the 128.

iAN CooG

Mar 19, 2011, 10:39:02 AM3/19/11
Payton Byrd <plb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Don't use the CSDb link, the entry has been deleted. Please use this
> link instead:
>
> http://www.paytonbyrd.com/wiki/GetFile.aspx?File=CardSwipe-1.0.d64.zip
>
> Sorry for the inconvenience.
>
> PS. The VIC20 community needs it's own CSDb,

Denial is there since ages for Vic20 stuff. If they haven't a specific
archive for Vic20 stuff, their problem.

> or CSDb needs to support the VIC20 as it does the 128.

No it doesn't. C128 and C64dtv are exceptions because they contain a C64
and/or can run most C64 software.

--
-=[]=--- iAN CooG/HVSC & C64Intros ---=[]=-
"Ma poi a Berlino a quest'ora non c'hai altro da fare????"

Payton Byrd

Mar 19, 2011, 10:54:11 AM3/19/11
On Saturday, March 19, 2011 9:39:02 AM UTC-5, iAN CooG wrote:

> Denial is there since ages for Vic20 stuff. If they haven't a specific
> archive for Vic20 stuff, their problem.

So, you don't particularly care for a platform, so you don't care whether or not other people would find CSDb or an equivalent useful? That's all fine and well, but the attitude really isn't necessary. I would venture a guess that the majority of readers of this newsgroup DO care about the VIC-20 and would love to see a well organized archive of releases. Hell, such a thing would probably spur some interest in developing for the VIC-20.

> > or CSDb needs to support the VIC20 as it does the 128.
>
> No it doesn't. C128 and C64dtv are exceptions because they contain a C64
> and/or can run most C64 software.

That makes no sense for the C128 and DTV compared to a VIC-20. Software listed in the C128 category does NOT work on a 64. Plain and simple. C128 releases are no more C64 compatible than a VIC-20 release is.

iAN CooG

Mar 19, 2011, 11:03:46 AM3/19/11
Payton Byrd <plb...@gmail.com> wrote:

you can complain how much you want, unless you convince the *C64 scene*
database creators to convert their site to a "all Commodore scenes"
database, there's not much you can do than making your own.

--
-=[]=--- iAN CooG/HVSC & C64Intros ---=[]=-

without words

Payton Byrd

Mar 19, 2011, 11:08:10 AM3/19/11
On Saturday, March 19, 2011 10:03:46 AM UTC-5, iAN CooG wrote:
> Payton Byrd
> wrote:
>
> you can complain how much you want, unless you convince the *C64 scene*
> database creators to convert their site to a "all Commodore scenes"
> database, there's not much you can do than making your own.

I'm not the one bellyaching and bitching all the time. I simply made a respectful request for the addition of a VIC-20 release category. You're the one who doesn't seem to be capable of a positive post that doesn't attack something or somebody.

iAN CooG

Mar 19, 2011, 11:59:12 AM3/19/11

?
I haven't attacked anyone in reply to you, you haven't yet see me really
attacking, and you don't want me to do it.
Live with it, C64 scene database is not for vic 20, pet or plus4 releases.
It's not even a game release site and not even a game repository to be
precise. Post them elsewere.

--
-=[]=--- iAN CooG/HVSC & C64Intros ---=[]=-

Unable to locate Coffee -- Operator Halted!

vic20owner

Mar 21, 2011, 8:59:25 PM3/21/11

I agree it would be nice to have a Vic-20 category. But I can
understand if it is c64 only..

WinstonSmith6079

Mar 22, 2011, 1:21:57 PM3/22/11
> I agree it would be nice to have a Vic-20 category.  But I can
> understand if it is c64 only..

Yeah, I guess that makes sense hehehe

But since WinVICE includes and emu for the VIC-20, I'm gonna get this
program hehehehe

Thanks game-author-guy! :) Very cool hehehe

Wells Morong

Mar 27, 2011, 2:14:08 AM3/27/11
On Mar 19, 11:59 am, "iAN CooG" <GETianRIDc...@OFaliceME.it.invalid>
wrote:

> ?
> I haven't attacked anyone in reply to you, you haven't yet see me really
> attacking, and you don't want me to do it.

"You wouldn't like me when I'm angry!" ;)

christianlott1

Mar 28, 2011, 11:01:53 AM3/28/11

> "You wouldn't like me when I'm angry!" ;)

Haha.

Let me ask - Are .nib and .g64 allowed on CSDB?

I post a tools collection and it keeps getting deleted - "Reason:
wtf".

Literally impossible to find this software anymore but the a-holes on
csdb don't allow the post for "reason: wtf" - was the actual response.

I guess they are just 'too cool' to give meaningful explanations.. We
definitely need a new archive site not hosted by such lame dicks.

MagerValp

Mar 28, 2011, 1:54:30 PM3/28/11
On 28 mar, 16:01, christianlott1 <christianlo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Let me ask - Are .nib and .g64 allowed on CSDB?

Original, protected software is not allowed on CSDB. As it's a
database of scene releases, you'd have to crack it before uploading.

christianlott1

Mar 28, 2011, 5:27:08 PM3/28/11

> Original, protected software is not allowed on CSDB. As it's a
> database of scene releases, you'd have to crack it before uploading.

So if I carve a 'C' into the bottom of the load page it's a crack? And
if it works when it's copied from g64 to disk or right inside VICE, it
still needs to be unprotected for someone?

They should have just told me "Reason: hypocrisy".

Groepaz

Mar 28, 2011, 5:39:45 PM3/28/11
christianlott1 wrote:
> Let me ask - Are .nib and .g64 allowed on CSDB?

let me ask: did you bother reading the rules of what belongs to csdb ?

> I post a tools collection and it keeps getting deleted - "Reason:
> wtf".

if by that you mean that it was deleted twice, and the second time the
reason was "six different programs in one entry, clearly should be different
entries" then you are right

> Literally impossible to find this software anymore but the a-holes on
> csdb don't allow the post for "reason: wtf" - was the actual response.
>
> I guess they are just 'too cool' to give meaningful explanations.. We
> definitely need a new archive site not hosted by such lame dicks.

i guess you dont realise that the content at csdb is pretty much managed by
the users (some more dedicated than others). you never bothered to even tell
those nice people who are hosting the site about your issue with one of the
users deleting what you uploaded.

--

http://www.hitmen-console.org http://magicdisk.untergrund.net
http://www.pokefinder.org http://ftp.pokefinder.org

If you want to have creative workers, give them enough time to play.
<John Cleese>

Groepaz

Mar 28, 2011, 5:50:04 PM3/28/11
christianlott1 wrote:
> So if I carve a 'C' into the bottom of the load page it's a crack?

no. if you actually remove the copyprotection, then it is a crack and then
it belongs to csdb.

> And
> if it works when it's copied from g64 to disk or right inside VICE, it
> still needs to be unprotected for someone?

indeed. non cracked originals are not scene releases and thus do not belong
into an archive of scene releases. csdb is not an archive for all c64
software, it explicitly concentrates on scene releases only. for originals,
post them elsewhere - c64preservation.com (who make the collection available
through gamebase) is usually the right place for unmodified original dumps.

some of these g64 dont even quite work in vice btw =P

typewriters, and Usenet is *nothing* like Shakespeare.
<Blair Houghton>

Christian Lott

Mar 28, 2011, 8:40:30 PM3/28/11
On Mar 28, 4:39 pm, Groepaz <groe...@gmx.net> wrote:
> christianlott1 wrote:
> > Let me ask - Are .nib and .g64 allowed on CSDB?
>
> let me ask: did you bother reading the rules of what belongs to csdb ?

hell no. of course not. why?

> > I post a tools collection and it keeps getting deleted - "Reason:
> > wtf".
>
> if by that you mean that it was deleted twice, and the second time the
> reason was "six different programs in one entry, clearly should be different
> entries" then you are right

I didn't see that.

> > Literally impossible to find this software anymore but the a-holes on
> > csdb don't allow the post for "reason: wtf" - was the actual response.
>
> > I guess they are just 'too cool' to give meaningful explanations.. We
> > definitely need a new archive site not hosted by such lame dicks.
>
> i guess you dont realise that the content at csdb is pretty much managed by
> the users (some more dedicated than others). you never bothered to even tell
> those nice people who are hosting the site about your issue with one of the
> users deleting what you uploaded.

A 'user' is allowed to delete uploads?

Christian Lott

Mar 28, 2011, 8:58:18 PM3/28/11

> > And
> > if it works when it's copied from g64 to disk or right inside VICE, it
> > still needs to be unprotected for someone?
>
> indeed. non cracked originals are not scene releases and thus do not belong
> into an archive of scene releases. csdb is not an archive for all c64
> software, it explicitly concentrates on scene releases only. for originals,
> post them elsewhere - c64preservation.com (who make the collection available
> through gamebase) is usually the right place for unmodified original dumps.

I'm thinking gamebase doesn't carry utilities.

> some of these g64 dont even quite work in vice btw =P

Looks like an excellent upload for a scener db then, right? Or maybe
you guys just forgot how to crack =D

Besides, uploading each of these to a separate entry serves no purpose
at all. Combined file is 507kb. Splitting it out into 8 files gains
nothing. There's no 'extra information' that I have for each file.
Surely your db matches against the 'aka' field?

But you guys argue about this all day and play 'crack masters' with
your purposeless scener upload rules. Yawn.

Groepaz

Mar 28, 2011, 9:49:30 PM3/28/11
Christian Lott wrote:

>> let me ask: did you bother reading the rules of what belongs to csdb ?
>
> hell no. of course not. why?

yeah why should you? it's much easier to turn around and call them nice
people when you get your ass kicked!

lol?

>> if by that you mean that it was deleted twice, and the second time the
>> reason was "six different programs in one entry, clearly should be
>> different entries" then you are right
>
> I didn't see that.

no shit. could be because you didnt bother to contact anyone about it and
only moderators can actually even see the reason that was entered.

>> i guess you dont realise that the content at csdb is pretty much managed
>> by the users (some more dedicated than others). you never bothered to
>> even tell those nice people who are hosting the site about your issue
>> with one of the users deleting what you uploaded.
>
> A 'user' is allowed to delete uploads?

if it is clearly not belonging there - yes ofcourse. thats how open user
managed databases work you know.

--

Wenn einer mit Vergnügen zu einer Musik in Reih und Glied marschieren kann,
dann verachte ich ihn schon; er hat sein großes Gehirn nur aus Irrtum

Christian Lott

Mar 28, 2011, 11:28:25 PM3/28/11
On Mar 28, 8:49 pm, Groepaz <groe...@gmx.net> wrote:
> Christian Lott wrote:
> >> let me ask: did you bother reading the rules of what belongs to csdb ?
>
> > hell no. of course not. why?
>
> yeah why should you? it's much easier to turn around and call them nice
> people when you get your ass kicked!
>
> lol?

I think the point is that some of these rules are just plain silly.
But of course since they've been around so long and unendingly debated
- why change?

> >> if by that you mean that it was deleted twice, and the second time the
> >> reason was "six different programs in one entry, clearly should be
> >> different entries" then you are right
>
> > I didn't see that.
>
> no shit. could be because you didnt bother to contact anyone about it and
> only moderators can actually even see the reason that was entered.

It's a tools collection *clearly* - whether they're all shoved onto
one d64 or not.

> >> i guess you dont realise that the content at csdb is pretty much managed
> >> by the users (some more dedicated than others). you never bothered to
> >> even tell those nice people who are hosting the site about your issue
> >> with one of the users deleting what you uploaded.
>
> > A 'user' is allowed to delete uploads?
>
> if it is clearly not belonging there - yes ofcourse. thats how open user
> managed databases work you know.

So 1000 faggoty +1 trainers are worth more than 8 rare g64s?

grope-ass says YES.

what an awesome 'scene'.

I always thought of the cracking scene as a way to distribute
expensive or hard to get software. The way gopeaz and molok have it
set up though - it's about spray-painting your initials all over
someone else's creation and calling it cracked +10!

If you want it split into parts split away but it's stupid to say a
zipped collection of g64s is not a collection when they were all part
of the same series. It's also a pain in the ass to download each one
individually.

Groepaz

Mar 29, 2011, 8:39:45 AM3/29/11
Christian Lott wrote:

> I think the point is that some of these rules are just plain silly.

and you can tell that without even reading them. impressive !

> But of course since they've been around so long and unendingly debated
> - why change?

i think the same about football rules. so what? if you dont like the rules,
dont play the game.

> It's a tools collection *clearly* - whether they're all shoved onto
> one d64 or not.

no it is not. its dumps of originals. zipping them up dont magically make
them a tool collection or even a scene release.

> So 1000 faggoty +1 trainers are worth more than 8 rare g64s?

no. they just do not belong there. csdb is not a file host for everything
c64.

> grope-ass says YES.

awesome arguments you have there!

> what an awesome 'scene'.

you dont have to like it really.

> I always thought of the cracking scene as a way to distribute
> expensive or hard to get software.

the cracking scene is about competing who makes the best crack quickest.
(ok, these days the time factor is void) distribution of software is just a
side effect really. and only the lamers care(d) about the actual software =P

> The way gopeaz and molok have it
> set up though -

me and moloch have set it up? strange, why dont these names even appear
here: http://noname.c64.org/csdb/crackstandards.php ? looks like the members
of the cracking scene agreed on these silly rules to me.

> it's about spray-painting your initials all over
> someone else's creation and calling it cracked +10!

you really show that you have no idea. especially this "spraypainting" of
initials is frowned upon in the scene for at least 10 years now. and infact
if you do it, its a reason for getting the release removed from csdb.

and despite your assumptions, calling something cracked and actually
cracking it are two entire different things.

> If you want it split into parts split away but it's stupid to say a
> zipped collection of g64s is not a collection when they were all part
> of the same series. It's also a pain in the ass to download each one
> individually.

you didnt really get the point at all. stuffing them all into a zip doesnt
make them a collection - true. now IF they were even scene releases at all
and not original dumps, then they should get seperated entries. csdb is not
about letting people leech software the most easy way, its about documenting
what was released in the scene.

--

Modern art is what happens when painters stop looking at girls and persuade
themselves that they have a better idea.

Joe Forster/STA

Mar 30, 2011, 1:52:56 PM3/30/11
On Mar 29, 5:28 am, Christian Lott <christianlot...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think the point is that some of these rules are just plain silly.

Wow, that's bold: questioning the sanity of rules of a site that's
been around for almost a decade (probably _because_of_ its rules)
within a few minutes of ever seeing the site?!

christianlott1

Mar 30, 2011, 2:18:22 PM3/30/11

What you assume is even bolder and more naive = that I haven't been in
the C64 scene for over a decade and was not witness to the site coming
into the scene at it's start.

I am guilty of one thing - bickering with bull headed moderators
knowing these same rules have been argued since the site's origin. I'm
sure gropeass and moukuk will agree to being constantly (and
consistently) questioned about all of their ambiguous, silly and
hypocritical rulz.

It should go without saying that the reason the site has been around
for over a decade may have absolutely nothing to do with the
ridiculous rule in question. But keep making assumptions and positing
canards fanboy.

Please note that despite what groupass and muchuk claim, the C64 scene
is the sum of those who use their C64s - whether they give a rats ass
about csdb rulz or not.

Groepaz

Mar 30, 2011, 2:24:24 PM3/30/11
Joe Forster/STA wrote:

its just the usual clash between sceners and community types. nothing to see
here, move on.

--

Trotzdem bin ich sehr dafr, dass moeglichst viele Parlamentarier nach
Afghanistan fahren.

Groepaz

Mar 30, 2011, 2:42:02 PM3/30/11
christianlott1 wrote:
> Please note that despite what groupass and muchuk claim, the C64 scene
> is the sum of those who use their C64s - whether they give a rats ass
> about csdb rulz or not.

thats entire debatable and matter of opinion. and thats why it is clearly
stated that "CSDb tries to collect as much information about what we call
the "productive Scene" as possible."

and that simply excludes that part of the "scene" that doesnt produce
anything. and no, dumping a disk and zipping it isnt a production. the site
is about, and for, those who produce and crack software (in a non commercial
context). no more no less.

and if anything is naive, then it is thinking a site like this can exist for
a decade with the majority of users disagreeing with its rules. they are
indeed questioned over and over - always by the same 10 people, which is
entire normal for such a big user base. i am sure every football club has
the same percentage of members who constantly question these silly football
rules. and i am equally sure that none of these football clubs are worried
about it, or even care.

--

Bei Fragen zu diesem Vorgang wenden Sie sich bitte an the administrator of
that system

christianlott1

Mar 30, 2011, 3:55:37 PM3/30/11
You keep comparing your rules to the rules of football which were
invented, changed and expanded upon for hundreds of years to achieve
their present state.

Likening your csdb 'scener rulz' to football is pure egotism, not in
the least surprising from you.

You have your site rules. Fine. Whatever. The end. l8r.

Groepaz

Mar 30, 2011, 4:37:01 PM3/30/11
christianlott1 wrote:

> You keep comparing your rules to the rules of football which were
> invented, changed and expanded upon for hundreds of years to achieve
> their present state.

just like the rules have changed in the scene, even the csdb rules
themselves. your point beeing?

--

if brute force doesn't work, you're not applying it hard enough.

christianlott1

Mar 30, 2011, 5:03:47 PM3/30/11
On Mar 30, 3:37 pm, Groepaz <groe...@gmx.net> wrote:
> christianlott1 wrote:
> > You keep comparing your rules to the rules of football which were
> > invented, changed and expanded upon for hundreds of years to achieve
> > their present state.
>
> just like the rules have changed in the scene, even the csdb rules
> themselves. your point beeing?

Point being in response to your first ref to football.

I said about csdb rulz:

> But of course since they've been around so long and unendingly debated
> - why change?

Your response:

> i think the same about football rules. so what? if you dont like the rules,
> dont play the game.

So we see gropee say if I don't like the rules, don't play but then
admits to changing the rules. So which is it?

I'll just take the educated guess that he didn't feel like re
evaluating this particular rule on it's merits and just wanted me to
f*k off.

As well, I think Joe's faith in the sage and unyielding csdb rulz as
condition for the lifeblood of csdb itself is facing massive
disillusionment just about now based on what gropee just said..

Groepaz

Mar 30, 2011, 6:04:49 PM3/30/11
christianlott1 wrote:

> On Mar 30, 3:37 pm, Groepaz <groe...@gmx.net> wrote:
>> christianlott1 wrote:
>> > You keep comparing your rules to the rules of football which were
>> > invented, changed and expanded upon for hundreds of years to achieve
>> > their present state.
>>
>> just like the rules have changed in the scene, even the csdb rules
>> themselves. your point beeing?
>
> Point being in response to your first ref to football.
>
> I said about csdb rulz:
>
>> But of course since they've been around so long and unendingly debated
>> - why change?
>
> Your response:
>
>> i think the same about football rules. so what? if you dont like the
>> rules, dont play the game.
>
> So we see gropee say if I don't like the rules, don't play but then
> admits to changing the rules. So which is it?
>
> I'll just take the educated guess that he didn't feel like re
> evaluating this particular rule on it's merits and just wanted me to
> f*k off.

oh, i just dont think you wont accomplish any time soon what is needed to
have the rules changed the way you seemingly want them: get a significant
amount of csdb users behind you to support your ideas, and we can talk about
it. (hint: that would be more than 10) should be obvious, since thats how
changing the rules in pretty much every community, your family, football
club and also csdb works. and it is exactly how csdb was extended to allow
anything but demos, for example.

--

If you can't beat them, join them. Family time can include playing a video
game.

christianlott1

Mar 31, 2011, 4:06:44 PM3/31/11
First, the cracking scene would be nothing without it's suppliers.

> get a significant
> amount of csdb users behind you to support your ideas, and we can talk about
> it. (hint: that would be more than 10)

Or at least one of the few who call the shots around there anyway,
right?

Joe Forster/STA

Mar 31, 2011, 5:37:15 PM3/31/11
> But keep making assumptions and positing canards fanboy.

"Fanboy", huh? I never uploaded and rarely downloaded anything to/from
CSDb and have no idea about its rules. I just pointed out that it is
exactly your attitude that gets you nowhere. And not only on CSDb and
not only recently, at that.

Groepaz

Mar 31, 2011, 5:53:30 PM3/31/11
christianlott1 wrote:

i mean exactly what i wrote, no more no less. you are free to approach
whoever you like, but i can tell you that things like a rule change need
approvement from every admin and moderator - so sleeping with just one wont
get you very far (unless you have really awesome boobies, maybe).

--

Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?
<George W. Bush>

christianlott1

Apr 1, 2011, 10:56:06 AM4/1/11
On Mar 31, 4:37 pm, "Joe Forster/STA" <s...@c64.org> wrote:
> > But keep making assumptions and positing canards fanboy.
>
> I just pointed out that it is
> exactly your attitude that gets you nowhere. And not only on CSDb and
> not only recently, at that.

'Somewhere' being?

christianlott1

Apr 1, 2011, 10:58:40 AM4/1/11

> i mean exactly what i wrote, no more no less. you are free to approach
> whoever you like, but i can tell you that things like a rule change need
> approvement from every admin and moderator - so sleeping with just one wont
> get you very far (unless you have really awesome boobies, maybe).

Don't you three get enough sex with each other?

Groepaz

Apr 1, 2011, 11:15:52 AM4/1/11

unfortunately we do not often get such nice offers from intelligent beeings
with awesome boobies, no.

--

If you look at scrollback and the last 30 lines are from you ... please shut
up

christianlott1

Apr 1, 2011, 11:46:12 AM4/1/11

> unfortunately we do not often get such nice offers from intelligent beeings
> with awesome boobies, no.

being beings

Groepaz

Apr 1, 2011, 11:55:25 AM4/1/11
christianlott1 wrote:

sorry, i accidently mistook your sound of awesomeness for a bee.
bzzzZzZzzzZzzZzZzZ

--

Weil die Klügeren ständig nachgeben regieren die Dummen diese Welt.