Mark Dickenson, NMI Digi Player

Patrick Pritchard

Aug 11, 1994, 10:27:11 PM8/11/94
i. Does anybody know if Mark Dickenson has an internet address?

ii. Does anybody know if MD is still honouring his offer stated in
DigiPlayer V3.1 to give source code to an NMI Digi Player w/ a donation of
$10 or more?

iii. Does anyboyd know _how_ to play a Digi (IE: .RAW File) using the NMI
routine described in DigiPlayer V3.1? <I can play a digi using the old
method, but I would prefer _not_ to hack around -- I don't like hacking
into other peoples code -- PERIOD>

Thnx.

-Cyberad/RPG
p...@io.org

-- Via DLG Pro v1.0

--
Usenet News Administrator
ne...@cbmtor.gts.org ....!gts!cbmtor!news

DUCK@PEMBVAX1.PEMBROKE.EDU (CRAIG TAYLOR)

Aug 14, 1994, 1:24:59 PM8/14/94
In article <19940811.78...@comnet.cbmtor.gts.org>, Patrick_...@comnet.cbmtor.gts.org (Patrick Pritchard) writes:
> iii. Does anyboyd know _how_ to play a Digi (IE: .RAW File) using the NMI
> routine described in DigiPlayer V3.1? <I can play a digi using the old
> method, but I would prefer _not_ to hack around -- I don't like hacking
> into other peoples code -- PERIOD>

Not positive but I believe it's simply a matter of taking each byte - scaling
it to a 4-bit value and throwing it at $d418 - the volume register... If it's a
Commie RAW then I imagine the bytes would be 2 4-bit values that you'd play -
not sure about the speed 'tho .... you could prob. adjust it with some delay
values... ie: this should work if the .raw files are really raw :-)

ldx #$00
start inc ptr
bne +
inc ptr+1
+ lda (ptr),x ;; Always forget whether it's (ptr),x or (ptr),y.
;; Adjust as nesssc...
pha
ror
ror
ror
ror
sta $d418
pla
and #%00001111
sta $d418
jmp start

> Thnx.
>
> -Cyberad/RPG
> p...@io.org
>

> -- Via DLG Pro v1.0
>
> --
> Usenet News Administrator
> ne...@cbmtor.gts.org ....!gts!cbmtor!news

Craig Taylor (910)521-3814 The sayings I uttereth I utter for myself only.
* du...@pembvax1.pembroke.edu(preferred) _or_ c.tay...@genie.geis.com *

If you raise your hands to heaven you will live a hundred years. I stood there
like a mystic lost in the atmosphere. The clouds were suddenly parted - for a
moment I could see the patterns of the landscape reaching through the eastern
sea. I looked upon a prism spanning fourty centuries. I stood at the top of the
mountain and China sang to me. In the peaceful haze of harvest time a song of
eternity. - Tai Shan / RUSH.

DUCK@PEMBVAX1.PEMBROKE.EDU (CRAIG TAYLOR)

Aug 14, 1994, 1:27:54 PM8/14/94
> iii. Does anyboyd know _how_ to play a Digi (IE: .RAW File) using the NMI
> routine described in DigiPlayer V3.1? <I can play a digi using the old
> method, but I would prefer _not_ to hack around -- I don't like hacking
> into other peoples code -- PERIOD>

Already replied to the programming aspect of this but just curious about this
question that popped in my mind reading this:

What do people think about "hacking into other peoples code"?? I've seen
several statements in posts recently of people frowning on it - Personally, I
see it as an educational "snooping" experience - the same way I'd analyze an
author's writing style to learn techniques from... There is a difference in
"snooping" and "plagerizing" but I'm not sure I understand where some of the
people that are so adamantly against "snooping" (don't like that term) are
coming from...

Just curious,

Daryl King

Aug 14, 1994, 4:49:20 PM8/14/94
I have no problem poking around (no pun intended) with someone else's Code. I
have learned more about ML programming by dis-assembling someone elses stuff
and determining what routines did what. Since many of the routines are fairly
Standard (there's not too many different ways to read in a SEQ file from disk
for example), then I see no problem with it. And I'm not above using a piece of
Code from someone elses program if I can use it in mine.

Paul M. Gardner-Stephen

Aug 14, 1994, 7:43:13 PM8/14/94
Most digi's use a NMI delay value of around $60-$C0 .. ofcourse on a C128
or a C65 this would have to be multiplied appropriately. On a 2Mhz mode on
C128 you dont need to drop back to 1Mhz to access the sids, where as in
"FAST" (about 3.5Mhz) mode on a C65 you MUST drop back to 1Mhz to write to
the sids, if you dont the result is only approx 1 in 3.5 writes are sucessful,
if not much less!

---
|Paul Gardner-Stephen USENET: gard...@ist.flinders.edu.au |
| BBS: Fishbowl +61 8 2771361 v.22bis |
| 64NET Author Voice: +61 8 2777479 +9:30 GMT |
| C64 Programmer Snail: 1 Hurst St,Morphettville SA 5043 |
| "Who needs an emulator Australia. |
| when you have the Alias: Highlander/FLT |
| real thing!?" |

Chris M. McBride

Aug 15, 1994, 1:22:23 AM8/15/94
In article <1994Aug14.132754.1@acavax>,

>What do people think about "hacking into other peoples code"?? I've seen
>several statements in posts recently of people frowning on it - Personally, I
>see it as an educational "snooping" experience - the same way I'd analyze an
>author's writing style to learn techniques from... There is a difference in
>"snooping" and "plagerizing" but I'm not sure I understand where some of the
>people that are so adamantly against "snooping" (don't like that term) are
>coming from...

I don't see anything wrong with looking at other people code. This is
probably the best way to learn how to code(especially if you look at
several drasticially different coders).
But I think it is a Bad Idea to give out "source" code of someone
elses code. (i.e. disassembling code for your benifit, then giving
that output to someone else)
I also think its not that Great of an idea to just use someone elses
code.

Well that also depends....
If you are writing a demo that consists mainly of a plotter I think it
is a VERY bad idea to "borrow" someone elses plotter. (especially when
you claim it as your own). Now for that scroller, or some other
"minor" routine, isn't that big of a deal.

Part of my question, is whats the point of programming something, if a
good portion of it is someone elses code?

But back to the original question. I find it very hard to fault anyone
for looking at someoneelses code, to learn. Its how we learn, its how
people in other walks of life learn.. Artists look at other peoples
art. Companies will look at their competitors, etc.

Chris

Patrick Pritchard

Aug 18, 1994, 8:21:27 AM8/18/94
I don't mind LOOKING at other peoples _source code_. The reason I say
source is:

i. It's easier -- I could never hack MLM coding, and don't want to bother
learning. I prefer symbolic labels and such, which is why I prefer BASIC
7.0 to 2.0 as well! It's easier to read through

here lda #$00
cmp somereg
bne there
jmp here

ii. Using source, you know that you have the authors permission. Well, you
should know! :)

I will on occasion snoop through memory, but I won't steal code. That's
where the fine line comes in. A lot of people get the two terms confused:
_looking_ at other peoples code is fine, but then your own code is
influenced by that and people accuse you of `ripping'. Several coders got
naile for this in my area when Toronto was big on demos. Luckily, I have
the code to prove that I did _not_ rip my code. Several programmers claim
I was on acid at the time of writing my demos (IE: my analyzer page for
Carcass..), and close to none have figured it out. Come to think of it,
_noone_ has figured out my `original' code unless I restructure it for
them!

Proof tha I didn't rip it.. ;)

Patrick Pritchard

Aug 18, 1994, 8:17:21 AM8/18/94
In a message dated Thu 18 Aug 94 0:07, Du...@pembvax1.pembroke.edu (duck@pe
wrote:

D> Not positive but I believe it's simply a matter of taking each byte -

D> scaling
D> it to a 4-bit value and throwing it at $d418 - the volume register...
D> If it's a
D> Commie RAW then I imagine the bytes would be 2 4-bit values that you'd
D> play -
D> not sure about the speed 'tho .... you could prob. adjust it with some
D> delay
D> values... ie: this should work if the .raw files are really raw :-)

Hi, yeah. That's the code I already have. But I wanted to know how to do
it from the NMI. Using that code your computer is locked up iin that
cycle, but if you use the NMI method you can play it in the background,
etc. For games and such.. I'm not good with NMI programming..

Pontus Berg

Aug 21, 1994, 12:33:13 PM8/21/94
In a message of 18 Aug 94 Patrick Pritchard wrote to All:

PP> I will on occasion snoop through memory, but I won't steal code.
PP> That's where the fine line comes in. A lot of people get the two terms
PP> confused: _looking_ at other peoples code is fine, but then your own
PP> code is influenced by that and people accuse you of éripping'.

I don't agree!
If you snoop in somebody elses code and if you can improve it, use it in a
better or at least in some other way, then it's OK to me.

No matter if you snoop in someone elses code or not, but produce something
that has been done already, then you've proven to be a looser! Carbon copy or
copy or the result is both pretty lame! I won't bother if you are a "cloned
lamer" or an "original lamer"! A lamer is a lamer, no matter how he got to be
just that!

From: Pontus Berg AKA:Bacchus of FairLight 64
Sveavägen 88,5tr
113 59 Stockholm Bac...@p71.anet.bbs.bad.se
SWEDEN Fido: 2:201/411.71

... John Bright:
Mr Disareli is a self made man. And he adores his creator
--- Spot 1.3 #676