looking for Forth for Commodore PET

chitselb

Oct 15, 2010, 11:51:10 AM10/15/10
I'm writing my own, but it would be nice to have a Forth
contemporaneous with the era my (1979) machine is from. I've looked
high and low and the only one that might be out there is on the TPUG
CD collection, which I don't have and don't want to spend $25 bucks on
for a maybe. Can anybody help me?

Thanks,
Charlie

BruceMcF

Oct 15, 2010, 4:02:01 PM10/15/10

I can't find any copies of a PET FIG-Forth, but this is the original
6502 FIG-Forth listing:
http://www.forth.org/fig-forth/fig-forth_6502.pdf

And T. H. Ting's implementation guide:
http://www.forth.org/library/eforth_SOC/eforth_SOC_source/figforth/guide.ZIP

Message has been deleted

BruceMcF

Oct 17, 2010, 1:06:29 AM10/17/10
On Oct 16, 10:14 am, Chris Baird <ab...@brushtail.apana.org.au> wrote:
> >> I'm writing my own, but it would be nice to have a Forth
> >> contemporaneous with the era my (1979) machine is from. I've looked
> >> high and low and the only one that might be out there is on the TPUG
> >> CD collection, which I don't have and don't want to spend $25 bucks
> >> on for a maybe. Can anybody help me?
>
> I believe the first 6502 FORTH was the Ragsdale/Selzer FIG-FORTH system,
> which was originally published in 1978. It took a while for other people
> to munge their public domain code into 1978-$100 products that I
> couldn't afford, foreever turning me towards what's now known as the
> Free Software movement. :P :)
>
> http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/forth/family-tree/would indicate FIG
> then being the origin for later 6502 FORTH systems, and would certainly
> be the only contender in the 1979-1980 era.

I'm pretty sure the one I had for the C64 was the Datatronic, but long
since floated away on the streams of time:

http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/vic20/programming/VIC-Forth/Manual.txt

... before the C64 the only computer I had was a Timex Sinclair 1000,
the world's most closet-compatible home computer.

chitselb

Oct 17, 2010, 2:10:26 AM10/17/10

> >http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/forth/family-tree/wouldindicate FIG

> > then being the origin for later 6502 FORTH systems, and would certainly
> > be the only contender in the 1979-1980 era.
>
> I'm pretty sure the one I had for the C64 was the Datatronic, but long
> since floated away on the streams of time:
>
> http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/vic20/programming/VIC-Forth/Ma...

Or here: http://roms.zophar.net/commodore-64/applications/t64

Charles Richmond

Oct 17, 2010, 11:17:06 PM10/17/10

HesWare 64Forth is available with the blessing of the author Tom
Zimmer. In fact, IIRC, he told how to break the "copy protection".
Originally, this Forth was in a cartridge. The program had a "copy
loop" that would copy the entire executable 3 bytes forward. This
had *no* effect on the ROM cartridge, but if the program had been
copied to RAM, obviously it would trash some 16-bit address
destinations.

You can download a RAM version of 64Forth from:

http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/c64/programming/index.html

| Charles and Francis Richmond |
| |
| plano dot net at aquaporin4 dot com |

chitselb

Oct 18, 2010, 12:30:52 AM10/18/10

Finding several different C=64 or even VIC-20 Forths was no problem.
Locating figForth 6502 and the installation document was no problem.
Finding binaries for the PET is the problem. What I'm looking for is a
Forth binary (that probably loaded from cassette) for the PET, so I
can see how cassette-based virtual memory was implemented and what
other things were done differently.

Charles Richmond

Oct 18, 2010, 8:55:23 PM10/18/10
On 10/17/10 11:30 PM, chitselb wrote:

> [snip...] [snip...] [snip...]

> Finding several different C=64 or even VIC-20 Forths was no problem.
> Locating figForth 6502 and the installation document was no problem.
> Finding binaries for the PET is the problem. What I'm looking for is a
> Forth binary (that probably loaded from cassette) for the PET, so I
> can see how cassette-based virtual memory was implemented and what
> other things were done differently.

I can *not* help you with Commodore PET Forth. But here is a
manual for C64Forth by Datatronics. This Forth had support for
cassette. You might look over the manual and see how Datatronics
did cassette for the C64. That might give you some ideas on
modifying the FIG 6502 Forth for the PET:

<http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/vic20/programming/VIC-Forth/Manual.txt>

BruceMcF

Oct 19, 2010, 12:22:45 AM10/19/10
On Oct 18, 12:30 am, chitselb <chits...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Finding several different C=64 or even VIC-20 Forths was no problem.
> Locating figForth 6502 and the installation document was no problem.
> Finding binaries for the PET is the problem. What I'm looking for is a
> Forth binary (that probably loaded from cassette) for the PET, so I
> can see how cassette-based virtual memory was implemented and what
> other things were done differently.

The only cassette based 6502 forth info I have seen is the Sym-1,
which can be patched to use cassette, but the way its done is very
primitive: see "modification for cassette linkages"

http://www.6502.org/trainers/synertek/symforth/fig_4th.pdf

... but no source code. But the cartridge based Vic-Forth from HES
would be Tom Zimmer's work, and reviews from the time suggest that it
was workable for operating with a cartridge-based Forth using
cassettes for mass storage. The VIC-20 was his first CBM port.

MikeS

Oct 19, 2010, 10:26:02 AM10/19/10
On Oct 15, 11:51 am, chitselb <chits...@gmail.com> wrote:

You own a PET and don't have copy of the TPUG CD? Tsk... ;-)

If you still haven't found a PET version, PM me at
Delta Mike five six one at Torfree point Net
and I'll dig it out for ya.

mike

Message has been deleted

BruceMcF

Oct 21, 2010, 10:48:26 PM10/21/10
On Oct 21, 4:15 pm, Chris Baird <ab...@brushtail.apana.org.au> wrote:
>  > The only cassette based 6502 forth info I have seen is the Sym-1,
>  > which can be patched to use cassette, but the way its done is very
>  > primitive: see "modification for cassette linkages"
>  >http://www.6502.org/trainers/synertek/symforth/fig_4th.pdf

> I have a SYM-1 and have studied the disassembly of FLEXFORTH-- it's a
> straight FIG-FORTH port.

The question at hand would be how it handles loading from tape rather
than disk, but the impression I got was that it was less sophisticated
than what Charles Richmond was aiming for.