ATOS - a new GUI for the Atari 8-bit

Tom Hunt

Jul 22, 2001, 1:12:31 PM7/22/01

ATOS is a new GUI for the Atari 8-bit computer.

I've decided that it's time to open up the ATOS web site and download files
to the general Atari 8-bit computer enthsusiasts. I would like to thank
the beta testers here who have helped me with all sorts of suggestions and
bug reports.

You are invited to check out the ATOS web site at:

http://cth.dtdns.net/atos/

I've also updated my main web page at:

http://cth.dtdns.net

Best,
Tom

NoOne

Jul 22, 2001, 4:10:11 PM7/22/01
Tom Hunt wrote:

> ATOS is a new GUI for the Atari 8-bit computer.

> http://cth.dtdns.net/atos/

Sounds great! The link doesn't work from here (yet?) though...

Richard Douwes

Mirko Sobe

Jul 22, 2001, 4:14:39 PM7/22/01
One minute ago, the link works, but now it seems to be dead...

What is exactly the different to my BOSS-X system?
-is it written in ML
-does it only work under SpartaDOS

Mirko

"NoOne" <No...@NoWhere.Com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Tom Hunt

Jul 22, 2001, 4:48:59 PM7/22/01
atar...@12move.de (Mirko Sobe) wrote in
<9jfc4l$1vmn$1...@wrath.news.nacamar.de>:

>One minute ago, the link works, but now it seems to be dead...
>
>What is exactly the different to my BOSS-X system?
>-is it written in ML
>-does it only work under SpartaDOS

Hi Mirko,

Sorry about the server outage. My wife was playing an online game on that
system and it got hosed up for a while. It's back online now. How is ATOS
different? Now that the server is back online the best thing might be to
read all about it. The ATOS core is written in assembly language. It uses
the object model at the conceptual level. The majority of the various
accessories were written in CC65. Some were written in MAC/65. It uses
overlays. It boots in Sparta but can read and write to the root
directories of MyDOS and Atari DOS disks. There's still some rough edges
to it, but I will keep working to improve it.

Best,
Tom

Daniel Miller

Jul 22, 2001, 11:18:18 PM7/22/01
On Sun, 22 Jul 2001 20:48:59 GMT, No...@FakeEmail.com (Tom Hunt)
wrote:

>overlays. It boots in Sparta but can read and write to the root
>directories of MyDOS and Atari DOS disks. There's still some rough edges
>to it, but I will keep working to improve it.

Please support BW-DOS.

Thomas Havemeister

Jul 23, 2001, 2:58:54 AM7/23/01
wrote:

>Sorry about the server outage. My wife was playing an online game on that

>system and it got hosed up for a while. It's back online now. How is ATOS
>different? Now that the server is back online the best thing might be to
>read all about it. The ATOS core is written in assembly language. It uses
>the object model at the conceptual level. The majority of the various
>accessories were written in CC65. Some were written in MAC/65. It uses
>overlays. It boots in Sparta but can read and write to the root
>directories of MyDOS and Atari DOS disks. There's still some rough edges
>to it, but I will keep working to improve it.

you did a great job with your new ATOS! It's quite interesting to see
new software for our 8-bit atari computer. And after so long, as atari
officaly died!

As for downloading you 2Mb zipped atos-archive, I was very amused to
see a download constantly giving a rate of (and now: hold on!!!) 1042
byte per second!!!!

boah :-)

bye sayz:
-thomsen@munich

--
Thomas Havemeister Student of Business Computer Science
Technical University of Ilmenau

P.S.: Sturz des Zaren & Take those Atarian care!

Tom Hunt

Jul 23, 2001, 5:58:42 PM7/23/01
DC...@USA.NET (Daniel Miller) wrote in
<3b5b9761...@news.CIS.DFN.DE>:

>Please support BW-DOS.

I would love to. Could you please tell me if there is an equivalent
vector in BW-DOS as the VCOMND vector in Sparta? From what I can see that
is the only thing that would need to be changed to make ATOS compatable
with BW-DOS. I haven't tried this yet, but there's a possiblility that a
program could could accomplish the same sort of thing by intercepting
control by first changing $a/$b to point to a command pre-processor.

Best,
Tom

Edward S. Baiz Jr.

Jul 23, 2001, 7:54:28 PM7/23/01
Hello,

I converted the 16meg ATR file in a 4meg DI file for use with 800XLDJ.
The DI image would load in. The program complain of not enough memory.
I guess the program does not use memory of the computer it is running
on. It looks like I will have to split up the files and put them on
separate disks.

If I wanted to do that Tom, what files should go on which disk? Let's
say I want to split them up between four disks.

Edward S. Baiz Jr.
(Gamer)
HADES 060: 256meg Ram, Yamaha CDRW Drive, 1 gig Jaz
Drive, MicroTek E3 Scanner, Mach 64 w/4meg Ram, Epson
Photo 700 printer, 56k US Robotics Modem, ICQ#91257633
PROGRAMS: Extendos Gold, Cab 2.8, ScanX, STiK2, aFTP,
Calamus SL2000, Newsie, PlayMyCD, Papyrus 8, Smurf,
Nova Driver 2.67, NVDI 5, Linux, Magic, N.AES, Geneva

Tom Hunt

Jul 23, 2001, 9:31:16 PM7/23/01
eb...@skyenet.net (Edward S. Baiz Jr.) wrote in
<UO277.995$cE1....@newsfeed.slurp.net>:

>It looks like I will have to split up the files and put them on
>separate disks.
>
>If I wanted to do that Tom, what files should go on which disk? Let's
>say I want to split them up between four disks.

I would start by moving the >desktop>wnd> directory and files to one of the
other drives. After that you'll have to edit the desktop.cfg file. In it
you'll have to change the "1" in the "drive for windows files" to the new
drive number.

If ATOS is complaining while it is running about "overlays" then you can
move the >desktop>overlays directory over to another drive. You'll have to
change the "drive for overlays" entry in the desktop.cfg file for it also.

You can save alot of space on D1: by moving the >UTT> directory and it's
files to one of the other drives. You'll have to edit the D1:>PATH.SYS so
that the "D1:>UTT>" is changed to the correct drive.

If you need more space than this then let me know and we can take another
look at it.

Best,
Tom

Mirko Sobe

Jul 24, 2001, 6:56:47 AM7/24/01
Thank you for your info!
I've downloaded and tested it, may I upload it on my homepage as a mirror?

My impressions was the following:
-I think, ATOS is a different GUI to BOSS-X, the best thing is that it's not
written in (Turbo-)BASIC
-ATOS, and it's ST-Mouse support is a great thing, but are joystick and
keyboard also supported (the standard pointer devices for A8)?
-it's very nice, the there more than one choice to open a file, for exsample
*.BAS-Files: here you can choose, if you want to start it in BASIC or in
Turbo-BASIC, great!

What memory is needed or supported? Is it using a swap-file like Windows?

Mirko

"Tom Hunt" <No...@FakeEmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Daniel Miller

Jul 24, 2001, 5:19:04 PM7/24/01
On Mon, 23 Jul 2001 21:58:42 GMT, No...@FakeEmail.com (Tom Hunt)
wrote:

>DC...@USA.NET (Daniel Miller) wrote in

><3b5b9761...@news.CIS.DFN.DE>:
>>
>>Please support BW-DOS.
>
> I would love to. Could you please tell me if there is an equivalent
>vector in BW-DOS as the VCOMND vector in Sparta? From what I can see that

Errk, I don't know about that. I read more about ATOS at your site and
see that it is only for XL/XE. It wouldn't work for my 800. I am not
asking you to support 400/800 or memory less than 64K. That would be
cruel and unusual punishment for a GUI author!

Edward S. Baiz Jr.

Jul 24, 2001, 5:29:25 PM7/24/01
On 24 Jul 2001 01:31:16 , Tom Hunt wrote:

>>If I wanted to do that Tom, what files should go on which disk? Let's
>>say I want to split them up between four disks.
>>

>I would start by moving the >desktop>wnd> directory and files to one of the
>other drives. After that you'll have to edit the desktop.cfg file. In it
>you'll have to change the "1" in the "drive for windows files" to the new
>drive number.

Thanks for the tips Tom. I will give it ago. I will extract all the
files and folders from the BIG ATR file and move them onto separate DI
images disks and see if that works.

Tom Hunt

Jul 24, 2001, 7:51:38 PM7/24/01

If your 800 has RAM up to $BFFF and a hard drive like the Corvus then
I think it could run ATOS if I could find how to intercept the command
processor in BW-DOS. I'll check into it when time permits.

Tom Hunt

Jul 24, 2001, 7:44:57 PM7/24/01

Hi Mirko,

<9jknmm$hpn$1...@wrath.news.nacamar.de>:

>I've downloaded and tested it, may I upload it on my homepage as a
>mirror?

Sure! I bet your server is about 10 times faster than mine. ;-)

>but are joystick and
>keyboard also supported (the standard pointer devices for A8)?

The keyboard isn't supported. But you can use ATOS with other pointer
devices through the use of the appropriate Multi-Mouse driver.

>What memory is needed or supported? Is it using a swap-file like
>Windows?

Right now ATOS doesn't use any of the extended ram banks. Users can set
their ATOS system up to use a ramdisk quite effectivly though. Maybe in
the future I might place some things in the extended ram banks but I'm not
sure how many users actually have more than 64k. I may have to take a
survey.

ATOS uses swap files called overlays. There are two types of swap files.
The first type is a partial overlay that only saves the screen memory and
the area that modules run in. This is used for running modules designed to
run as an ATOS accessories. The second type is the big overlay that saves
everything the partial overlay does, plus the core area, zero page, the
processor pointer, and a couple of other things. This is saved whenever
ATOS runs a regular COM file and is reloaded when it's done to restore the
machine state.

Best,
Tom

Mirko Sobe

Jul 25, 2001, 1:33:23 PM7/25/01
A GUI for the ATARI 800 is a very difficult thing: first, you have not so
much memory, the second is, that Turbo-BASIC doesn't run on it...so we (the
authors of the two GUI's) had to write a very new version of a GUI. No
question, it's possible, but difficult...

I could try to write a GUI in Turbo-BASIC 1.4 (for ATARI 800), but I really
had to begin with a very new program and concept...
Mirko

"Daniel Miller" <DC...@USA.NET> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Sysop Fox-1

Jul 25, 2001, 4:44:22 PM7/25/01

Tom Hunt <No...@FakeEmail.com> wrote

: If your 800 has RAM up to $BFFF and a hard drive like the Corvus

then
: I think it could run ATOS if I could find how to intercept the command
: processor in BW-DOS. I'll check into it when time permits.

I'll probably meet Jiri Bernasek (BeWe-soft) again at the next
Atari-meeting in Germany (UnConventional 2001, September). Should I ask
him some things?

Have downloaded ATOS too, but haven't played with it yet. I'll copy the
ATR to my Black-Box HD so Jiri can take a look at it himself :-))

--
Grtx, Sysop Fox-1 http://www7.ewebcity.com/atari
Email: fox-1 AT aq DOT nl

"Remember what the dormouse said"

Sysop Fox-1

Jul 25, 2001, 4:52:33 PM7/25/01

Tom Hunt <No...@FakeEmail.com> wrote

: >but are joystick and

: >keyboard also supported (the standard pointer devices for A8)?

: The keyboard isn't supported.

That's a pity. Keyboard may be useful if one has no mouse or joystick
available (which always happens to me when visiting a meeting :-))

: But you can use ATOS with other pointer

: devices through the use of the appropriate Multi-Mouse driver.

Is there info about how to program such a driver (asm equates,
entry-vectors, or whatever)?
Then one could write a keyboard-driver. Or a lightgun-driver! Looks cool
to me, shooting at windows :-)

: ATOS uses swap files called overlays. There are two types of swap files.

: The first type is a partial overlay that only saves the screen memory and

: the area that modules run in.

Sound very "BBS Pro!" to me :-))

Tom Hunt

Jul 25, 2001, 6:43:30 PM7/25/01
fox-1@aqDOTnl (Sysop Fox-1) wrote in <01c1154b$aa364b60$031ea8c0@p400>:

>I'll probably meet Jiri Bernasek (BeWe-soft) again at the next
>Atari-meeting in Germany (UnConventional 2001, September). Should I ask
>him some things?

Does Jiri have an email address where I can contact him? If not then
please ask him what is the best way to intercept the BW-DOS command
processor. With Sparta you change the VVCOMND vector.

>Have downloaded ATOS too, but haven't played with it yet. I'll copy the
>ATR to my Black-Box HD so Jiri can take a look at it himself :-))

Sounds good. Just be sure to change the startup.bat file so that SHELLGX
gets loaded and do a BOOT X32GX.DOS when running it on a real 8-bit using a
real hard drive.

Best,
Tom

Sysop Fox-1

Jul 26, 2001, 1:36:26 PM7/26/01

Tom Hunt <No...@FakeEmail.com> wrote

: >I'll probably meet Jiri Bernasek (BeWe-soft) again

: Does Jiri have an email address where I can contact him?

Unfortunately, he hasn't.

: please ask him what is the best way to intercept the BW-DOS command
: processor.

I will. More news will follow in September :-)

: >ATR to my Black-Box HD so Jiri can take a look at it himself :-))

: Sounds good. Just be sure to change the startup.bat file so that SHELLGX

: gets loaded and do a BOOT X32GX.DOS when running it on a real 8-bit using
: real hard drive.

Actually, I want to use it with X33B.DOS, the version jkp has patched
(relocated buffers to o.s. RAM). I don't use BASIC XL/XE anyway...

Andreas Magenheimer

Jul 27, 2001, 11:12:42 AM7/27/01
Er,
is it 2MB zipped for the complete stuff or already for the main files
?!?
- I merely have PC HD (1,44Mb; 1,2MB) drives and a PC CD ROM drive...
How should I download then ?? Andreas.

Mirko Sobe

Jul 27, 2001, 11:20:04 AM7/27/01
Tom Hunt alowed me to upload ATOS to my server: you can download ATOS now
faster from this location:

www.atarixle.de/download/

Mirko

"Tom Hunt" <No...@FakeEmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

David\Julie Wilson

Jul 27, 2001, 5:09:23 PM7/27/01
There is a folder that contains individual arcs. Click on the download ATOS
link and then select files2. 19 files total.

David

"Andreas Magenheimer" <mage...@mail.uni-mainz.de> wrote in message

Tom Hunt

Jul 27, 2001, 8:29:21 PM7/27/01
mage...@mail.uni-mainz.de (Andreas Magenheimer) wrote in
<3B6184EA...@mail.uni-mainz.de>:

>- I merely have PC HD (1,44Mb; 1,2MB) drives and a PC CD ROM drive...
>How should I download then ?? Andreas.

ATOS comes set up with all kinds of interesting programs and
applications. You can cut out most of the extra stuff if you just want
to see it boot up. If you don't install the BASIC programs, games, HIPs,
CMC musics, etc., and most of the wallpapers and icons, you probably could
make it fit onto your system. But I'm not sure how practical such a setup
would be. It might be done to satisfy one's curiosity. If you have a
ramdisk you could configure ATOS to use it for overlays, icons, object
files, etc. One of these days I want create an ATOS setup that might be
based upon two 180k floppy drives and a 256/320k ramdisk. With such a
setup I'll make it so that if you click an icon in a window and it cannot
find the desired program it will prompt you to "Please place the correct
floppy disk in the drive and click OK", or something like that. But this
is on the list of things to do, right after completing the online manual,
bug fixes, new feature requests, etc. ;-)

Best,
Tom

Tom Hunt

Jul 27, 2001, 8:30:15 PM7/27/01
<9js0ns$303m$1...@wrath.news.nacamar.de>:

>Tom Hunt alowed me to upload ATOS to my server: you can download ATOS
>now faster from this location:
>
>www.atarixle.de/download/

Thanks Mirko!

Mirko Sobe

Jul 28, 2001, 4:15:39 AM7/28/01
Please tell me, if you update ATOS.

Mirko

"Tom Hunt" <No...@FakeEmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Andreas Magenheimer

Aug 2, 2001, 11:15:44 AM8/2/01
Well,
thank for the answer Tom. But as I already found out, there are also
downloads for individual ARC packages (I should have taken a better look
at your page)... -Andreas

P.S.: For the little atari I own 2 different harddisk systems a) the MSC
IDE-interface and b) Sijmen`s My-IDE interface, so using Atos won`t be a
problem...

mundousbi...@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2014, 4:51:49 PM12/5/14
El domingo, 22 de julio de 2001 14:12:32 UTC-3, Tom Hunt escribió:
> ATOS is a new GUI for the Atari 8-bit computer.
>
> I've decided that it's time to open up the ATOS web site and download files
> to the general Atari 8-bit computer enthsusiasts. I would like to thank
> the beta testers here who have helped me with all sorts of suggestions and
> bug reports.
>
> You are invited to check out the ATOS web site at:
>
> http://cth.dtdns.net/atos/
>
> I've also updated my main web page at:
>
> http://cth.dtdns.net
>
> Best,
> Tom

the both web pages are offline!!!

Bill Marcum

Dec 7, 2014, 1:41:41 AM12/7/14
Not surprising if you look at the date of the original post. Have you
tried archive.org?

Clu

Feb 2, 2015, 10:13:05 AM2/2/15
Ah ATOS! This always looked interesting. That was by Tom Hunt right
who once ran the Closer To Home BBS? I miss him and his BBS.

And ATOS looked really good. Wanted to try it, but alas was not a
SpartaDos user then. I barely am now.

Doc Clu