new QMEG+OS 4.0!!

Thomas Havemeister

Oct 26, 1997, 2:00:00 AM10/26/97

Howdy!

Today I installed the new Atari OS-ROM "QMEG+OS 4.04" of Stefan Dorndorf
in my XE. It's great to have a brandnew OS (1997) ticking in my 10 ten
years old Atari....

I'm really surprised about the power!

--
6502 RíSC power! ||| ěntel Outsíde! | ,- _ C64 II - alternate
*(MEGA) 8-bít* / | \ 130 XE 256kB | `- ~ * 6510 * 8-bět power !

OdaMan t2o-MaNiaC

Oct 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/28/97

In article <6gbqC...@peter.soemtron.sb.sub.de>, pe...@soemtron.sb.sub.de
says...

>Today I installed the new Atari OS-ROM "QMEG+OS 4.04" of Stefan Dorndorf
>in my XE. It's great to have a brandnew OS (1997) ticking in my 10 ten
>years old Atari....

I don't know well about this OS, can you let me know details of it?
I'm interested in it.

Thanx!

Thomas Havemeister

Oct 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/30/97

In article <Re: new QMEG+OS 4.0!!>, oda...@pfu.co.jp (OdaMan t2o-MaNiaC) wrote:

Howdy OdaMan!

> >Today I installed the new Atari OS-ROM "QMEG+OS 4.04" of Stefan Dorndorf
> >in my XE. It's great to have a brandnew OS (1997) ticking in my 10 ten
> >years old Atari....
> I don't know well about this OS, can you let me know details of it?
> I'm interested in it.

look in my other mail, posted in comp/sys/atari/8bit

grtx to japan!

Thomas Havemeister

Oct 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/30/97

In article <Re: new QMEG+OS 4.0!!>, tdr...@gl.umbc.edu (drake thomas) wrote:

Howdy drake!

> What are the features of this QMEG+OS 4.04 OS-ROM?
>
> What additional benefits/power does it provide one when using it with
> their 8-bit?

*full automatic floppy speeder (speedy,happy etc.)
*two ramdisk drives at the same time
*diskcopier in os
*drive assign per key click
*file loader (you don't need a dos or game dos on disk)
*basic and cartridge controll
*built-in cas-simulator
*asm monitor
*freezer for game pokes
*freeze and reload in/out ramdrives (sort of multitasking)
*many function keys (cursor control,speed control,ctrl+4-9)

removed features:
- self test
- cassette handler (now the cas-simulator)
- international charset

You can ALWAYS reboot by key, enable a XL-mode and turn on/off floppy
enhancments

enough for you?! ;-)

--
whoa, ís that freaky or what? It's not a trěck, ít's a 8-bět!
XE rulez 4ever since 1986...U gotta love em' !

William Kendrick

Nov 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/3/97

Thomas Havemeister (pe...@soemtron.sb.sub.de) wrote:

: *full automatic floppy speeder (speedy,happy etc.)

: *two ramdisk drives at the same time
: *diskcopier in os
: *drive assign per key click
: *file loader (you don't need a dos or game dos on disk)
: *basic and cartridge controll
: *built-in cas-simulator
: *asm monitor
: *freezer for game pokes
: *freeze and reload in/out ramdrives (sort of multitasking)
: *many function keys (cursor control,speed control,ctrl+4-9)

: removed features:
: - self test
: - cassette handler (now the cas-simulator)
: - international charset

: You can ALWAYS reboot by key, enable a XL-mode and turn on/off floppy
: enhancments

: enough for you?! ;-)

Do all of those cool (but incompatibly written) European demos work
with it? :) And when you said "XL mode", do you mean it has the
XL OS built into it to?

This is a chip, right?

-bill!
Bill Kendrick
/|\ Software Engineer
kend...@zippy.sonoma.edu
http://zippy.sonoma.edu/kendrick/

Thomas Havemeister

Nov 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/4/97

In article <Re: new QMEG+OS 4.0!!>, kend...@zippy.sonoma.edu (William Kendrick) wrote:

Howdy William!

> : enhancments
> : enough for you?! ;-)
> Do all of those cool (but incompatibly written) European demos work
> with it?

every european demos works on a european computer :-) .. and yes I think
so. Stefan Dorndorf found up here only one (really unknown) game, which
won't run with qmeg. It changes imho some os routines
own) game, that modifies the os. So qmeg won't work right. But that's not
a problem. I have installed a little switcher, which activates the
original atari os with his pretty useless self test ;-)

> :) And when you said "XL mode", do you mean it has the
> XL OS built into it to?

no, well at least not really. But it can change automatically to an very
compatible xl-mode which should run nearly all the old and newer 800XL
stuff. I know only 2 or 3 (bad) games which enable this mode, but work
perfectly.

...and yes, it's a 16k Eprom chip.

hey, it's cool to load the whole "Silent Service" disk into ram and play
it with no disk drive access ;-) faaaasst ;-)

Curt Vendel

Nov 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/7/97
to pe...@soemtron.sb.sub.de

pe...@soemtron.sb.sub.de

This sound very interesting, is it disk based or on ROM chip, how much
and where?

Curt

Bill R. Core

Nov 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/8/97

What are the main features of the QMEG OS? I read in demos all
the time how the coders use it. I have heard that it is flaky?
--

||| ////Pakrat |||
/ | \ Discover Atari - and discover how far you can go! / | \

dkl...@iwaynet.net

Nov 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/11/97

On 1997-11-04 pe...@soemtron.sb.sub.de(ThomasHavemeister) said:
>hey, it's cool to load the whole "Silent Service" disk into ram and
>play it with no disk drive access ;-) faaaasst ;-)

That's not a very good example since Silent Service doesn't do any disk access
while you're actually in a game.A better example would be Ultima 1,Wizard's
Crown or Alternate Reality<shiver>.

Net-Tamer V 1.09 - Test Drive

Raphael James Espino

Nov 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/13/97
Or Zork I, something I've been playing from my new ramdisk recently,
which is almost finished now just got to finish writing the docs,
watch this space ;)

Thomas Havemeister

Nov 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/13/97

In article <Re: new QMEG+OS 4.0!!>, dkl...@iwaynet.net wrote:

Howdy dklugh!

> >hey, it's cool to load the whole "Silent Service" disk into ram and
> >play it with no disk drive access ;-) faaaasst ;-)
>
> That's not a very good example since Silent Service doesn't do any disk
> access while you're actually in a game.A better example would be Ultima
> 1,Wizard's Crown or Alternate Reality<shiver>.

I don't think so. Silent Service reloads after the mission setup up !

peter(thomas h.)

Thomas Havemeister

Nov 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/17/97

In article <Re: new QMEG+OS 4.0!!>, r...@co.umist.ac.uk (Raphael James Espino) wrote:

Howdy Raphael!

> > That's not a very good example since Silent Service doesn't do any disk
> > access while you're actually in a game.A better example would be Ultima
> > 1,Wizard's Crown or Alternate Reality<shiver>.

> Or Zork I, something I've been playing from my new ramdisk recently,
> which is almost finished now just got to finish writing the docs,
> watch this space ;)

good example! Zork or the rest of infocom adventures were really slow with
a diskdrive, unbelievable faast with ramdisk ;-)