Anti-Gravity

Ignatz Mouse

May 14, 2003, 1:19:02 AM5/14/03

This was an incredible public-domain game for the Apple II.

Besides the games from Rod (aka Hot Rod?), this is the only game I
really miss. It too seems to be missing from Asimov.

If anyone has this game is DSK format, please get it contact with me,
post it to Asimov, or post it here. And if you haven't tried it- give
it a whirl! I've heard it called "The Thinking Man's Pac-Man" and
that's a good description if you ask me.

drol
@
apple2.com

Tom Zuchowski

May 14, 2003, 4:55:39 PM5/14/03
Anti-Gravity rocked! I'd like to have it myself.

Tom Zuchowski

"Ignatz Mouse" <No...@one.com> wrote in message

Obsbedia2

May 14, 2003, 10:21:11 PM5/14/03
I believe that Shareware Solutions carries it.
Jay Edwards

<< Subject: Anti-Gravity
From: Ignatz Mouse No...@one.com
Date: Tue, May 13, 2003 9:19 PM

The Psychedelick Pope

May 15, 2003, 2:17:30 PM5/15/03
It's available in a collective unidos 3.5 disk (DSK) archive on Asimov.
Here's the disk name and it's in and the URL - to download it from.

(3445 Anti Gravity Game Unidos)

ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net//pub/apple_II/unsorted/3445.DSK

Ignatz Mouse

May 15, 2003, 10:28:03 PM5/15/03
On 15 May 2003 18:17:30 GMT, ctur...@aol.complexity (The Psychedelick
Pope) wrote:

The only trouble is this has been changed slightly so that it only
seems to work with a ][ GS emulator.

It works with KEGS in Windows, and that's cool. Ideally, tho, I'd like
one that works with Apple PC on my main apple emulation system... or a
version I can trasfer over to my real ][c.

So, I'm still looking. Thanks for this lead Psychedelick Pope.

And thanks also Obsbedia2. Shareware Solutions might be the only way
I'm gonna get ahold of this thing to use on my real Apple.

But if anyone out there has the DSK image of the original binary, or
knows how to make one out of this file that works with Apple PC, I'm
still looking for it!
(...that and Hot Rod's game disk)

Thanks all.
-Ignatz

Hot Rod

Jun 30, 2012, 10:47:04 PM6/30/12
I found that I had Anti-Gravity (a nice little game written by Tom Johnson and Michael Katz, c1984) as part of the disks I've been imaging. I've now uploaded it to Asimov (it's sitting in Incoming currently, so won't be available for download until it gets moved I think). But it's a .dsk image, straight from a 5.25" floppy. Seems to work in AppleWin OK at least.

(Also, I think the 'game disk' you mention was actually just another KeyPunch Software collection, which I've clarified in another thread, albeit 9 years late... oh well! That disk was Seahunt.)

]HR

BLuRry

Jul 2, 2012, 3:08:23 AM7/2/12
Worked in JACE on the first try! (I used keyboard-emulated joystick, no issues) Thanks for the upload. Let's see, we should ask the sysop to grant you 10,000 d/l credits for that one especially since it was not an edu-ware! ;-)

(are you in fact _the_ hot rod?)

-B

Hot Rod

Jul 2, 2012, 5:24:34 PM7/2/12
On Monday, July 2, 2012 2:08:23 AM UTC-5, BLuRry wrote:
> Worked in JACE on the first try! (I used keyboard-emulated joystick, no issues) Thanks for the upload. Let's see, we should ask the sysop to grant you 10,000 d/l credits for that one especially since it was not an edu-ware! ;-)
>
> (are you in fact _the_ hot rod?)
>
> -B

Good - it seemed to work in AppleWin OK after I imaged it from floppy. I'm still going through images to see if they work in AppleWin (at least), and finding a few that need a bit of help. I have a ways to go though.

And yep, even after 25 years, it's still me. :)

]HR

Steve Nickolas

Jul 2, 2012, 8:12:14 PM7/2/12
On Mon, 2 Jul 2012, Hot Rod wrote:

> And yep, even after 25 years, it's still me. :)

O_______________________O

*picks jaw off floor*

lol, me a noob cracker, and you an apparent legend in the scene...

-uso.

Vladimir Ivanov

Jul 3, 2012, 9:27:27 AM7/3/12

On Mon, 2 Jul 2012, Hot Rod wrote:

> Good - it seemed to work in AppleWin OK after I imaged it from floppy.
> I'm still going through images to see if they work in AppleWin (at
> least), and finding a few that need a bit of help. I have a ways to go
> though.

Would it bother you to upload both untouched and emulator-fixed version?
While I don't mind the latter, the former is more important from an
archival point of view.

Original image and a text file describing how to patch for emulator fix is
even better, IMHO. Same goes for copy protection bypassing.

Antoine Vignau

Jul 4, 2012, 8:23:52 AM7/4/12
And if you feel some sort of nostalgia, please visit http://www.hackzapple.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=13

Antoine "LoGo" Vignau
Brutal Deluxe Software

Hot Rod

Jul 4, 2012, 12:11:29 PM7/4/12
After seeing the news about the Prince of Persia source code, it did poke me to reopen the various boxes tucked away since the 80's and see what there was. And that led to the adventure of deciding to image the collection of floppies, and then sort things out. That's still an ongoing process.

So while there is some nostalgia fun, unforuntately my French is quite limited. :)

I do recall there being a Tennis Championship game that came from France back in the mid-80's though...

]HR

Hot Rod

Jul 4, 2012, 12:14:17 PM7/4/12
Yes, I've been trying to document what I can as I go. Usually over in comp.emulators.apple2 though (or in an accompanying text file to Asimov). Long ways to go still.

]HR

Antoine Vignau

Jul 4, 2012, 2:44:33 PM7/4/12
No worries, explanations are mainly in English and source code in 65(c)02 ;-)

Mr. Levy is the author of Tennis Championship. The opening credits has a top scrolling of two HGR pages, a nice program.

Antoine

kinka...@yahoo.com.au

Jul 11, 2012, 10:59:58 PM7/11/12
On Tuesday, 3 July 2012 10:12:14 UTC+10, Steve Nickolas wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Jul 2012, Hot Rod wrote:
>
> &gt; And yep, even after 25 years, it&#39;s still me. :)
>
> O_______________________O
>
> *picks jaw off floor*

LOL, same here. Thanks for uploading Hot Rod and for the background information.

Location: ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/images/games/action/ANTI_GRAVITY.dsk

Controls:
<- (left arrow) = Left
-> (right arrow) = Right
Space bar = Turn force on / off (see On/Off at top of screen)

Goal: navigate the arrows and blocks to and collect the little numbered icons.

When you collect the last icon (number 1) you go to the next level.

A thinking man's Pac-Man. :)

Another great Apple 2 game that I had never seen / heard about before. :)

Moose's Software Valley - Established July, 1996.

Apple2Games

Jul 13, 2012, 8:05:36 PM7/13/12
On Wednesday, July 11, 2012 10:59:58 PM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:
> On Tuesday, 3 July 2012 10:12:14 UTC+10, Steve Nickolas wrote:
> &gt; On Mon, 2 Jul 2012, Hot Rod wrote:
> &gt;
> &gt; &amp;gt; And yep, even after 25 years, it&amp;#39;s still me. :)
> &gt;
> &gt; O_______________________O
> &gt;
> &gt; *picks jaw off floor*
>
> LOL, same here. Thanks for uploading Hot Rod and for the background information.
>

> Location: ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/images/games/action/ANTI_GRAVITY.dsk
>
> Controls:
> &lt;- (left arrow) = Left
> -&gt; (right arrow) = Right
> Space bar = Turn force on / off (see On/Off at top of screen)
>
> Goal: navigate the arrows and blocks to and collect the little numbered icons.
>
> When you collect the last icon (number 1) you go to the next level.
>
> A thinking man&#39;s Pac-Man. :)
>
> Another great Apple 2 game that I had never seen / heard about before. :)
>
> Moose&#39;s Software Valley - Established July, 1996.

Well I spent the better part of 2 hours playing this on cAndy Apple emulator while on a conference call this morning. :) Never saw this game before... will have to do a write up for the site.

Hot Rod

Jul 13, 2012, 9:11:07 PM7/13/12
On Friday, July 13, 2012 7:05:36 PM UTC-5, Apple2Games wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 11, 2012 10:59:58 PM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:
> &gt; On Tuesday, 3 July 2012 10:12:14 UTC+10, Steve Nickolas wrote:
> &gt; &amp;gt; On Mon, 2 Jul 2012, Hot Rod wrote:
> &gt; &amp;gt;
> &gt; &amp;gt; &amp;amp;gt; And yep, even after 25 years, it&amp;amp;#39;s still me. :)
> &gt; &amp;gt;
> &gt; &amp;gt; O_______________________O
> &gt; &amp;gt;
> &gt; &amp;gt; *picks jaw off floor*
> &gt;
> &gt; LOL, same here. Thanks for uploading Hot Rod and for the background information.
> &gt;
> &gt;
> &gt; Location: ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/images/games/action/ANTI_GRAVITY.dsk
> &gt;
> &gt; Controls:
> &gt; &amp;lt;- (left arrow) = Left
> &gt; -&amp;gt; (right arrow) = Right
> &gt; Space bar = Turn force on / off (see On/Off at top of screen)
> &gt;
> &gt; Goal: navigate the arrows and blocks to and collect the little numbered icons.
> &gt;
> &gt; When you collect the last icon (number 1) you go to the next level.
> &gt;
> &gt; A thinking man&amp;#39;s Pac-Man. :)
> &gt;
> &gt; Another great Apple 2 game that I had never seen / heard about before. :)
> &gt;
> &gt; Moose&amp;#39;s Software Valley - Established July, 1996.
>

> Well I spent the better part of 2 hours playing this on cAndy Apple emulator while on a conference call this morning. :) Never saw this game before... will have to do a write up for the site.

I'll also mention that the softdocs for the game are in a text file on the disk (in case it wasn't noticed).

IIRC, this wasn't a commercially published game. Possibly it was one they shopped around for a publisher, but I don't know. Or it just could be an early work that was unpublished (ala Peter Ward's Demonic Decks or South Pacific Quest). I can't recall if the authors had any other programs published.

There might be another version of it floating around, but I don't know that it has the level editor like this version does.

Apple2Games

Jul 14, 2012, 11:35:34 AM7/14/12

> IIRC, this wasn't a commercially published game. Possibly it was one they shopped around for a publisher, but I don't know. Or it just could be an early work that was unpublished (ala Peter Ward's Demonic Decks or South Pacific Quest). I can't recall if the authors had any other programs published.
>
> There might be another version of it floating around, but I don't know that it has the level editor like this version does.

Ah yes... downloaded CidarPress and here they are... wow... how did I miss that there's an editor...

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
() SOFT-DOCS ()
() FOR ()
() ANTI-GRAVITY ()
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Game play....

Anti-Gravity is a quick paced game which requires careful
planning as well as good coordination. The goal is to reach
certain locations on the playing screen in a certain amount
of time while avioding aliens in your path.

Levels....

The game has 3 levels each are divided into a number of screens
with level 1,2,3 having 5,10,15 screens. Before each screen you
are told what level, what screen number, and how many men.

Characters....

You are given 4 white men to start with and an additional man
when you finish each screen (up to 9 men). The aliens a blue
and float around the screen.

Prizes....

The prizes are flashing numbers and each has 5 to 9 prizes.
The prizes count down as you pick them up.

Blocks....

The red blocks are barriers the player and the aliens cannot
pass through (it is possible to have invisible blocks).

Arrows....

The player is affected by gravity and the aliens are not.
The white arrows affect the player when he touches them, if
the arrows are on he will be in the opposite gravity to the
arrow (he will flip). Turn the arrows on and off with the
spacebar or button 0 on the joystick. If the arrows are on
they act as red blocks to the aliens (they cannot move thru
them).

Score....

Points are given for each prize picked up and also a bonus
of the amount left on the timer.

USING THE EDITOR
----------------

When the game starts it gives you 2 options - to play or to use the
Editor. If you enter (P) to play the next question wants to know if
you want to load a new level3. If you answer yes to this question
you will get a catalog of the disk and asked for the name of the level
you want to play (a level and screen that you designed). Using the
Editor will load in an Empty Level (prototype screens), they contain
the minimum - 3 aliens, 3 prizes, and the player. The level editor
page is where you design your own screens. The top will say that you
are working on 'no name' screen. You will have to give it a name when
you save it.

You may edit a level from the disk by pressing (L), and
entering the name of the level you want to edit.

Designing....

On the right side of the screen is the place you will enter
the Bonus, Gravity, and Delay. Bonus must contain 4 digits
and the Score must contain 3. The V or /\ will give you
rightside-up or upside-down gravity respectively. Use the
left/right arrows and A/Z keys the build your screens using
the following symbols.

Delay - a value between 001 and 255 will determine the speed
of the game (higher and more aliens is slower).

M - the man (only one).

P - a prize (flashing numbers, 3 to 9 per screen).

p - an alien (3 to 9 per screen).

/\ - up arrow, change the direction of gravity so the
player is upside down.

V - down arrow, change the direction of gravity so the
player is right-side up.

# - a solid block.

I - an invisible block.

Saving....

After you have completed a screen you must save it before
you design or change another one. You are saving the whole
level of many screens. Enter (S) and a file name to save.

Changing Screens....

When you load in a level it will always display the first
screen. To get to another screen press (C) and enter the
number of the screen to edit.

Special control keys....

Use during game play -

CTRL-L - wins that screen and advances you to next
screen (useful when testing screens you
design with the editor).
CTRL-R - restarts game.
CTRL-S - turn sound on/off.
ESC - pause/start game.

Antoine Vignau

Jul 15, 2012, 2:31:28 PM7/15/12
I also have an untouched version of Anti-Gravity now available @ http://www.brutaldeluxe.fr/public/ANTIGRAVITY.dsk

antoine

Apple2Games

Aug 9, 2012, 1:32:55 AM8/9/12
Interesting side note... was looking around on the Softdisk Supreme CD-Rom I got years ago and noticed in the index Anti-Gravity. Booted it up and was surprised to see a text intro with two authors listed and a "not public domain" warning from Softdisk. Also odd that the disk was published in 1987 yet the (C) date on the game was 1984.

Anyhow... struck me as interesting & odd since I'd never seen this game and find that I'm STILL playing it :)

]A2G