Brutal Deluxe Releases Multi-Purpose LZ4 Compression Algorithm

Antoine Vignau

Dec 10, 2013, 7:39:26 AM12/10/13
Dear All,

This technical article discusses the recent LZ4 data compression algorithm and its ability to become a good multi-purpose lossless compression format for the Apple IIGS computer. Mostly for game programming area, where we have to handle multi-types of data (Graphic, Sound, Music, Code, Misc data…), the availability of one generic compression / decompression algorithm will ease developers’ life!

Find more at http://www.brutaldeluxe.fr/products/crossdevtools/lz4/

LZ4 Compression for the Apple IIgs is part of Brutal Deluxe’s Cross Development Tools project, a full set of utilities available on Windows (and other) platforms to enable the creation of new Apple IIgs software : 65c816 Assembler, 65c816 Disassembler, 65c816 Simulator, Graphic File Converter, Resource Catcher…

Antoine Vignau & Olivier Zardini
Brutal Deluxe Software
http://www.brutaldeluxe.fr/

STYNX

Dec 10, 2013, 2:33:01 PM12/10/13
On Tuesday, December 10, 2013 1:39:26 PM UTC+1, Antoine Vignau wrote:
> This technical article discusses the recent LZ4 data compression algorithm ...

Wow, talk about high speed! Thats really neat.

-Jonas

qkumba

Dec 11, 2013, 1:50:36 PM12/11/13
Great! One minor thing:
LZ4_Match_3 CLC
It seems that carry should be already clear in all cases at this point, because you'll never cross a 64kb boundary to set the carry in LZ4_GetLengthMat.

winston...@yahoo.com

Dec 12, 2013, 7:09:48 AM12/12/13
Nice post! So much information, you've made my coding-fingers itchy!
Unfortunately my brain is full of cobwebs...

I remember many years ago writing a Dezip program for my TI-99... only to have PKZIP release a new version with new compression just over a year later.

Still, I did make a few dollars... and it was fun!

Ben

dagz

Dec 16, 2013, 6:15:10 PM12/16/13
Thanks very much. Awesome work you guys.