Disassembling code in a .dsk file?

Carl

Dec 30, 2009, 10:52:52 PM12/30/09
Hi. I wrote a game for the Apple II+ in 6502 assembly a long time ago
and recently discovered that it could be downloaded off the net,
bundled with another game, in a .dsk file. I can run it under the
Apple2oasis emulator on Windows. I'd like to disassemble my game and
reminisce about the pathetic quality of my code, etc. I'm hoping
someone can give me some pointers as to where to start with this.
It's been so long since I've done anything with the Apple II that even
if I could find a disassembler and figure out how to run it on my
game, I'm not sure how I would get the generated code into a text file
on Windows. Maybe I'm better off trying to decode the raw data in
the .dsk file?

Not much to go on, I realize, but any pointers would be welcome.
Thanks.
-Carl

John B. Matthews

Dec 30, 2009, 11:22:43 PM12/30/09
In article
<243edf50-5c59-4302...@l30g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
Carl <car...@gmail.com> wrote:

Either of these can read disk image files:

<http://ciderpress.sourceforge.net/>
<http://applecommander.sourceforge.net/>

I've used Marko Makela's 6502 cross-disassembler, d65:

<http://home.roadrunner.com/~jbmatthews/apple2.html>

I've heard good things about "The Flaming Bird Disassembler":

<http://www.brutal-deluxe.fr/products/french/tfbd.html>

--
John B. Matthews
trashgod at gmail dot com

D Finnigan

Dec 31, 2009, 5:09:35 AM12/31/09
ADFS can open disks and do disassembly. I have it for Mac.

Michael J. Mahon

Dec 31, 2009, 1:42:22 PM12/31/09

Merlin (and it's predecessor, Big Mac) include a disassembler
(Sourcerer), and the S-C Assembler is also accompanied by the
S-C Disassembler.

Both are "script-driven" so you can attaqch meaningful labels to
the disassembled source.

-michael

NadaNet and AppleCrate II: parallel computing for Apple II computers!
Home page: http://home.comcast.net/~mjmahon

"The wastebasket is our most important design
tool--and it's seriously underused."

Toinet

Dec 31, 2009, 4:52:43 PM12/31/09

Dear Carl,

John, Dean and Michael all told about the current software to
disassemble your program. If you need help, feel free to tell us where
it can be downloaded and we (or maybe I) may disassemble it for you or
help you do that.

Regards,

Antoine Vignau
Brutal Deluxe Software

Carl

Jan 2, 2010, 4:08:47 PM1/2/10
On Dec 31 2009, 4:52 pm, Toinet <antoine.vig...@laposte.net> wrote:
> John, Dean and Michael all told about the current software to
> disassemble your program. If you need help, feel free to tell us where
> it can be downloaded and we (or maybe I) may disassemble it for you or
> help you do that.

Thank you so much for the offer. The game is called Millenium Leaper
and can be downloaded from one of these two locations:

http://doperoms.com/roms/apple_ii/Beer%20Run%20%281981%29%28Sirius%29%5Bcr%5D%20&%20Millenium%20Leaper%20%2819xx%29%28-%29.zip.html
http://nitroroms.com/view/Apple_II-rom/77693/named-Beer%20Run%20%281981%29%28Sirius%29%5Bcr%5D%20&%20Millenium%20Leaper%20%2819xx%29%28-%29.zip.html

I've just written a blog about my experience developing the game if
anyone is interested. It's still password protected until I finish a
few details. Password is "fubar".
http://carlgay.wordpress.com/2009/12/24/millenium-leaper/

I'll try some of the other suggestions pretty soon, but if you get to
it first I'll have no objections. :-)

-Carl

Toinet

Jan 2, 2010, 6:24:12 PM1/2/10
On 2 jan, 22:08, Carl <carl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 31 2009, 4:52 pm, Toinet <antoine.vig...@laposte.net> wrote:
>
> > John, Dean and Michael all told about the current software to
> > disassemble your program. If you need help, feel free to tell us where
> > it can be downloaded and we (or maybe I) may disassemble it for you or
> > help you do that.
>
> Thank you so much for the offer.  The game is called Millenium Leaper
> and can be downloaded from one of these two locations:
>
> http://doperoms.com/roms/apple_ii/Beer%20Run%20%281981%29%28Sirius%29...http://nitroroms.com/view/Apple_II-rom/77693/named-Beer%20Run%20%2819...

> I've just written a blog about my experience developing the game if
> anyone is interested.  It's still password protected until I finish a
> few details.  Password is "fubar".http://carlgay.wordpress.com/2009/12/24/millenium-leaper/

> I'll try some of the other suggestions pretty soon, but if you get to
> it first I'll have no objections.  :-)
>
> -Carl

What a game Carl! It is great. I'd be delighted to move it to my real
IIgs and disassemble it. It has plenty of different graphics and
sounds. You did a great job, congratulations.

BTW, the speaker is $C030 :-)

antoine

Glandeur Lessard

Sep 15, 2020, 10:49:22 PM9/15/20
Bonjour Antoine,

(back to english for potential other readers)
I stumbled on this thread looking for an Apple II disassembler. I'm actually playing a game found on your servers (https://www.brutaldeluxe.fr/products/france/logidisque/logidisque_arsenelarcin.dsk), one of the earliest québécois games. I reached the end but the final moves are quite obscure and even the author (with whom I'm discussing) doesn't remember. I'm really not familiar with Apple II and its utilities, but if I had a disassembly or even better to be able to break and debug at a given point, I could maybe find out!

Si jamais vous intéresse! Je suis conscient que c'est priorité zéro ;)

Cordialement,

Jonathan

thef...@gmail.com

Sep 16, 2020, 10:46:35 AM9/16/20

Disassembler: https://6502bench.com/

> I'm really not familiar with Apple II and its utilities, but if I had a disassembly or even better to be able to break and debug at a given point, I could maybe find out!

Some tips on using the AppleWin debugger to aid disassembly: https://6502disassembly.com/applewin-dbg.html

AppleWin: https://github.com/AppleWin/AppleWin

Antoine Vignau

Sep 17, 2020, 7:16:27 AM9/17/20
Bonjour Jonathan, le glandeur :-)
I'll see what I can do with Arsène Larcin and I will come back to you.
What does the author say about the game?
Antoine

Antoine Vignau

Sep 17, 2020, 7:59:18 AM9/17/20
I've exported the BASIC files (and there is an extra one, PUISSANCE 5, that is not related to the original game) with pics of the instructions and maps.
There is no useful assemble in the game, everything is in BASIC. That is now your job to understand it, not mine :-)

==> http://www.brutaldeluxe.fr/public/arsenelarcin.zip

Enjoy,
Antoine

doug....@gmail.com

Sep 23, 2020, 6:32:08 PM9/23/20
Carl

Thanks for the enjoyable read. "poking values into the HGR screen to figure out the pixels" struck a chord. Your game looks great and I will have to give it a go in the near future.