How to fix HD checksum error?

Alan Bair

Jun 29, 1991, 12:33:27 AM6/29/91
I was running a program last night (tar) and it went wild while untaring a
file. The HD light just went sold on for many minutes, the keyboard and mouse
were frozen, so I finally did the 3 finger reset. Yea, I know you are not
suppose to do that while the HD light is on, but it was the only way I cound
figure to recover control.

So when the machine rebooted, it took much longer to come up and there was a
lot of disk activity, which I thought was disk validation. Well after it all
came up, a system requestor poped up with the following message:
Volume Work has a checksum error on disk block 69601
I selected retry several times with no luck, so I selected cancel.
Work:incoming is the directory where the tar program was running. I can still
run programs, but trying to list the directory in Work:incoming always brings
up the system requestor.

The big question is, how to correct this problem? The info command also
indicates that the Work: partition is now 99% full, here are the details:
size: 92M used: 188843 free: 1 full: 99% status: validating
I checked the directory listing and can find no file that is taking up the
~20MB that had been free before running the tar program.

Here is the run down on my system:
A3000 25/100 1MB chip 1MB fast KS 36.207 WB 36.69

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
--
Alan Bair SSDT Logic Synthesis,
Motorola, Inc. Simulation & Test

FURRY R

Jun 29, 1991, 9:22:02 PM6/29/91
In article <ABAIR.91J...@olympic.sps.mot.com>, ab...@olympic.sps.mot.com (Alan Bair) writes...

>I was running a program last night (tar) and it went wild while untaring a
>file. The HD light just went sold on for many minutes, the keyboard and mouse
>were frozen, so I finally did the 3 finger reset. Yea, I know you are not
>suppose to do that while the HD light is on, but it was the only way I cound
>figure to recover control.
>
>So when the machine rebooted, it took much longer to come up and there was a
>lot of disk activity, which I thought was disk validation. Well after it all
>came up, a system requestor poped up with the following message:
> Volume Work has a checksum error on disk block 69601
>I selected retry several times with no luck, so I selected cancel.
>Work:incoming is the directory where the tar program was running. I can still
>run programs, but trying to list the directory in Work:incoming always brings
>up the system requestor.
>
>The big question is, how to correct this problem? The info command also

Ah, this is the reason we make backups :). Anyhow, I had a similar problem,
and I used Qb Tools to "Repair Volume". This at least got the drive to
a state where I could get a directory without a requester/lockup. It
turned out that only 5 of my files were trashed, so I made a backup of
all the good files, formatted the drive, and restored from the backup.
That's the best I can do for ya. Hope it doesn't need to be formatted.

/ |CIVI...@ucsvax.sdsu.edu| Q: Is there a UNIX FORTRAN optomizer? \
\ | Scott Ellis | A: Yeah, "rm *.f" _ /
/ |_________________________| _ // Amiga \
\_______________________________________________\X/_________________/

Atiya Y. Hakeem

Jun 30, 1991, 4:14:37 AM6/30/91
The PD program FixDisk, on Fred Fish 403, can be used to make
your hard drive validate. I have used it for this, and have
not had to format my HD, which has given me no further
problems. Whatever file was being written
during the crash is probably bad, and should be deleted.

Atiya Hakeem
at...@iago.caltech.edu
A3000

Scott J. Kramer

Jul 3, 1991, 5:02:38 PM7/3/91

From: ab...@olympic.sps.mot.com (Alan Bair)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.hardware
Date: 29 Jun 91 04:33:27 GMT
Sender: ne...@oakhill.sps.mot.com

I was running a program last night (tar) and it went wild while
untaring a file.

. . .

So when the machine rebooted, it took much longer to come up and
there was a lot of disk activity, which I thought was disk
validation. Well after it all came up, a system requestor poped up
with the following message:
Volume Work has a checksum error on disk block 69601

Which version of `tar' did you use? The 'p' option in some versions
(e.g. one from Fish Disk #445) will cause filesys damage, at least on
my A3000 w/ KS 2.0. Someone with a removable HD may be able to
test/debug it. On the few occasions I need to use `tar', I extract to
RAM: just in case it goes berzerk.
--

Scott J. Kramer UUCP: {sun,ucbvax}!pixar!aura!sjk
P.O. Box 3392 Internet: s...@aura.nbn.com