Amiga<->Psion Serial Link?

Rod Crookes

Nov 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/23/95
> On 21 Nov 1995 14:06:03 GMT, Richard Stevens wrote:
>
> : Is there anyone who has managed to get a Psion to communicate nicely
> : with an Amiga?
> :
> : Will the Psion "serial link" hardware work with the Amiga serial port?
> :
> : Is there any software for such a connection?

Sure, if you have the Series3 Organiser, you must get the AmigaNCP suite -
it's available as comm/misc/amincp15.lha from any Aminet site.

It really does make the transfer of files between the S3a and the Amiga
just so easy and as a very important added bonus if you also have a PC, there
is a freely available S3a emulator which links fine with AmiNCP on the Amiga!

Rod
--
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
\\\ Rod Crookes - rod...@rvac.demon.co.uk \\\

'For too long my life has been in ruins' - Skangen Tizeri

Timothy Eves

Nov 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/23/95
Yes there is, it's called AmigaNCP and can be downloaded from Aminet,
probably from the comms section. I got it from the recent uploads list.

Just installed it last night, it's great, it provides a fileserver for
the Psion to read ADOS drives and a file system for the amiga to access
Psion devices like ADOS devices.

You will need the IBM Serial (Soap on a rope) link to use this package
though.

Timothy Eves <se...@dmu.ac.uk>

Daniel Pfund

Nov 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/23/95
In article <4910lm$1...@zippy.cais.net>, sw...@cais.cais.com (Robert D. Swank) writes:

> Richard Stevens (ri...@rd.bbc.co.uk) wrote:
> : Is there anyone who has managed to get a Psion to communicate nicely
> : with an Amiga?
> Yes there are several archives on Aminet. The software package is called
> AmigaNCP, but I don't recall the exact archive names.
>
> I haven't tried the link on anything other than the Amiga, but I can
> attest to the Amiga link being quite well implemented, and very easy to
> use. Effectively you get access to the Amiga from the PSION and access to
> the PSION from the Amiga. Files and directories on the PSION show up as
> device, drawer and file icons on the workbench.

Sure, the soft is EXCELLENT for networking and such, but now that those
clone heads have gotten PsiWin, which does the translation between different
formats... they brag ;-)

No, get AmigaNCP and try it, it's getting better and 1.8 hasn't crashed
on me yet (used it twice only... )

Daniel P.
--
__
/// Daniel Pfund Email:<Pfu...@uni2a.unige.ch> AX25: HB9VBC@HB9IAP

Daniel Pfund

Nov 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/24/95
In article <4940pb$e...@clyde.open.ac.uk>, g.n.w...@open.ac.uk (Graham Watson) writes:
> In article <48smcb$p...@bbcnews.rd.bbc.co.uk>, ri...@rd.bbc.co.uk says...

>>Is there anyone who has managed to get a Psion to communicate nicely
>>with an Amiga?
>>

> Yes

You might also like to check out the Psion FAQ (see sig) which contains
info.

Graham Watson

Nov 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/24/95
In article <48smcb$p...@bbcnews.rd.bbc.co.uk>, ri...@rd.bbc.co.uk says...

>Is there anyone who has managed to get a Psion to communicate nicely
>with an Amiga?

Yes

>Will the Psion "serial link" hardware work with the Amiga serial port?

Yes

>Is there any software for such a connection?

Yes, I have used AmigaNCP. It is a shareware program which mounts the
Psion's devices as AmigaDOS devices.

It is available on Aminet - but the version I had has an expiry date,
meaning you can only use it for a couple of weeks, without registering.

>Currently I use Psion 3a with the A2286 Bridgeboard, then copy docs
>etc. BB <-> Amiga for wp etc.
>A GUI access from Amiga to Psion would be a big improvement!

That's exactly what you get.

I think it in comms/misc on Aminet - Enjoy !!!

Regards - Graham Watson
The Open University

Lance Tagliapietra

Nov 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/26/95

> : Is there anyone who has managed to get a Psion to communicate nicely
> : with an Amiga?

What is a Psion?

--
Regards,
Lance Tagliapietra | Amiga 2000 | Embedded Systems Programmer |