RO2 boot-up sequence

Owen Smith

Jul 14, 1992, 11:54:21 AM7/14/92
In article <1992Jul14....@rhrk.uni-kl.de>
m_sa...@halma.informatik.uni-kl.de (Matthias Sattler) writes:

>Some configuartons that are useful:
>- Font cache 128K or more

Excellent number, but probably too large on 1MB machine and a bit iffy on
2MB.

>- System sprites 32K

What on earth for? System sprites are deprecated, nothing should be using
them. Set it to 0K (RISC OS 3 defaults it to 0K).

>- Wimpmode 31 (800x600x16 colours)
> If you have an old machine and don't want to use 800x600 (or you have
> no VIDC-enhancer) use mode 27 as it is 60Hz.

Screen modes are a very personal thing, and any recommendation must carry a
caveat. I like very high refresh rates (they let me work all day and not
have a splitting headache when I go home), and I find that even with an A540
a high refresh rate combined with square pixels just takes too much memory
bandwidth, so I use oblong (2:1) pixels. The mode I actually use gives 960 x
384 pixels, 1920 x 1536 OS units, 120 x 48 chars, 16 colours with a 78 Hz
refresh rate (36 MHz VIDC clock) yet it only takes a third of my memory
bandwidth. OK so it's smaller than the Atomwide Mode 102, but it's bigger
than any of the standard modes. (It's actually very similar to Computer
Concepts Mode 78 except with VIDC clocked at 36 MHz rather than 24). Mode 39
in RISC OS 3 is quite nice too.

Owen.

PS. These comments apply equally to RISC OS 2 and RISC OS 3.

The views expressed are my own and are not necessarily those of Acorn.

TMOTA

Jul 14, 1992, 7:17:33 PM7/14/92
m_sa...@halma.informatik.uni-kl.de (Matthias Sattler) writes:

>run $.!Fonts
>run $.APP.!Draw.!Boot
>run $.APP.!Paint.!Boot
>run $.APP.!Edit.!Boot
>run $.Utilities.!Aidon
>run $.!System.!SetUp.!obscure

>desktop *run $.!System.!SetUp.!PlaceIt
>desktop *run $.App.!PrinterDM

Hmmm... looks to me like you need an AutoRun program in your !boot...

This is a small BASIC program that simply Runs (or *IconSprites) any files
that it finds in a given directory. This can include Obey scripts,
modules, Icon sprites, applications, etc.

This way, to add programs to your boot sequence, you simply move them into
the AutoRun directory (or place a symbolic link of some kind, like an
Obey file that points to the real application).

I'll grab my one and post it on comp.sources.acorn for you...
--
_________________ "I'd like to answer this question in two ways:
/____ _ _/_ __ First in my normal voice, and then