Windows 10 ftp server

John Rickman Iyonix

Dec 20, 2015, 6:37:57 PM12/20/15
Breaking the habit of a lifetime I have bought a Windows computer,
DELL XPS 13. I intend to install a Linux system on it but there it has
a documented problem with the Broadcom wireless card.

In the meantime I need to access the machine from RISC OS. Can anyone
recommend an FTP server that runs on win 10? I have been put off from
trying FileZilla by negative comments online.

Alternatively, is it possible touse !Omni, or anything else, to access
Windows 10 shared files?

John

--
John Rickman - http://rickman.orpheusweb.co.uk/lynx
Estos días azules y este sol de infancia AM

Alan Calder

Dec 21, 2015, 4:02:07 AM12/21/15
In article <cac52c355...@rickman.argonet.co.uk>,
John Rickman Iyonix <ric...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

[Snip]

> Alternatively, is it possible touse !Omni, or anything else, to access
> Windows 10 shared files?

Why not use Lanman98? There's probably a good reason why you've not used
it but to my naive mind that seems the obvious route!

Alan

--
Alan Calder, Milton Keynes, UK.

Vince M Hudd

Dec 21, 2015, 4:17:59 AM12/21/15
John Rickman Iyonix <ric...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

[...]

> Alternatively, is it possible touse !Omni, or anything else, to access
> Windows 10 shared files?

The latest version of LanmanFS is version 2.52, 9th August 2015, which
supports NTLM encrypted log-ins. This *should* work with Windows 10 (I'm
using Win8, and it works with that).

It's in the most recent version of RISC OS I've installed on ARMX6 and I
believe (but don't shoot me if I'm wrong) it's in the more recent beta
releases for the other platforms. Look for the overnight builds on the ROOL
website.

If you aren't running RISC OS 5* (or aren't willing to upgrade to a more
recent build) then Lanman98 (which CJE sell) *should* be okay, but I'm less
confident - that would be a case of ring them and double check.

* According to your headers you are (5.21 - so an antique version ;)

--
Vince M Hudd
Soft Rock Software

Don't forget to vote in the 2015 RISC OS Awards:
www.riscosawards.co.uk/vote2015.html

John Rickman Iyonix

Dec 21, 2015, 5:50:31 AM12/21/15
Vince M Hudd wrote

> John Rickman Iyonix <ric...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> [...]

>> Alternatively, is it possible touse !Omni, or anything else, to access
>> Windows 10 shared files?

> The latest version of LanmanFS is version 2.52, 9th August 2015, which
> supports NTLM encrypted log-ins. This *should* work with Windows 10 (I'm
> using Win8, and it works with that).
> * According to your headers you are (5.21 - so an antique version ;)

Thanks, Vince (and Alan)

I have 5.22 on the ARMiniX, but must get around to upgrading my
antique Iyonix.

I have an old version of LanMan98 but from your note above it seems I
should not need to use it, as LanmanFS does the same job.

My problem is confusion compounded by out of date information and lack
of documentation. Could you point me to a link which explains !Omni
and how to use it.

John

--
John Rickman - http://rickman.orpheusweb.co.uk/lynx
Infinity is Sad. God is infinite. God is very sad.

spampling

Dec 22, 2015, 2:58:45 AM12/22/15
In article <55355e0078...@o2.co.uk>, Alan Calder
<alan_...@o2.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <cac52c355...@rickman.argonet.co.uk>, John Rickman
> Iyonix <ric...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> [Snip]

> > Alternatively, is it possible touse !Omni, or anything else, to access
> > Windows 10 shared files?

> Why not use Lanman98? There's probably a good reason why you've not
> used it but to my naive mind that seems the obvious route!

Actually, as Vince pointed out John is using RO5.21 and really ought to
use 5.23 as both are development versions but 5.23 has no need for
LanMan98.

--

Steve Pampling

Dave Symes

Dec 22, 2015, 10:54:54 AM12/22/15
In article <5535de5b6b...@btinternet.com>,
Oh! Why not, have they taken networking out of 5.23?

I have 5.22 on my RPCEmu, but I still need LM98.

Do tell?

Thanks
Dave

--

Dave Triffid

Peter Young

Dec 22, 2015, 11:45:01 AM12/22/15
Sorry to be ignorant (as usual), but in what way does 5.23, which I
have, not need LanMan98? If you mean Omni, I can get this to connect
to my NAS but not to the shares on my Win7 laptop.

Best wishes,

Peter.

--
Peter Young (zfc Os) and family
http://pnyoung.orpheusweb.co.uk

John Williams (News)

Dec 22, 2015, 11:57:41 AM12/22/15
In article <5536093...@triffid.co.uk>,
Dave Symes <da...@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> Oh! Why not, have they taken networking out of 5.23?

> I have 5.22 on my RPCEmu, but I still need LM98.

Because Omni (built-in app) with 5.23 has this later version of Lan
Manager/TCPIP Client whaich /can/ do the NTLM encrypted log-ins.

Even I got that bit!

John

--
John Williams, now back in the UK - no attachments to these addresses!
Non-RISC OS posters change user to johnrwilliams or put 'risc' in subject!

Stuart

Dec 22, 2015, 1:01:54 PM12/22/15
In article <55360fce...@tiscali.co.uk>,
John Williams (News) <UCE...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> Because Omni (built-in app) with 5.23 has this later version of Lan
> Manager/TCPIP Client whaich /can/ do the NTLM encrypted log-ins.

Does it show full, proper, filenames?

--
Stuart Winsor

Tools With A Mission
sending tools across the world
http://www.twam.co.uk/

Vince M Hudd

Dec 22, 2015, 4:06:55 PM12/22/15
John Rickman Iyonix <ric...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> Vince M Hudd wrote

[...]

> > The latest version of LanmanFS is version 2.52, 9th August 2015, which
> > supports NTLM encrypted log-ins. This *should* work with Windows 10 (I'm
> > using Win8, and it works with that).

> I have an old version of LanMan98 but from your note above it seems I
> should not need to use it, as LanmanFS does the same job.

It certainly does here!

> My problem is confusion compounded by out of date information and lack of
> documentation. Could you point me to a link which explains !Omni and how
> to use it.

I've just knocked together a quick step by step guide to setting up a
Windows Share and accessing it from RISC OS - hopefully I've not missed any
steps (obviously, everything's already up and running here, so it's possible
I may have forgotten to mention something I had to do in the first place -
but I *think* it's all there).

http://posts.softrock.co.uk/2015/12/windows-folder-access-risc-os/

Dave Symes

Dec 22, 2015, 4:35:18 PM12/22/15
In article <55360fce...@tiscali.co.uk>,
John Williams (News) <UCE...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <5536093...@triffid.co.uk>,
> Dave Symes <da...@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> > Oh! Why not, have they taken networking out of 5.23?

> > I have 5.22 on my RPCEmu, but I still need LM98.

> Because Omni (built-in app) with 5.23 has this later version of Lan
> Manager/TCPIP Client whaich /can/ do the NTLM encrypted log-ins.

> Even I got that bit!

> John

If it's built in, how do you get at it?

I've looked in The Boot Configure, Network Configuration, nothing in there?

Dave

--

Dave Triffid

David Pitt

Dec 22, 2015, 5:06:27 PM12/22/15
Dave Symes, on 22 Dec, wrote:

> In article <55360fce...@tiscali.co.uk>,
> John Williams (News) <UCE...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> > In article <5536093...@triffid.co.uk>,
> > Dave Symes <da...@triffid.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > > Oh! Why not, have they taken networking out of 5.23?
>
> > > I have 5.22 on my RPCEmu, but I still need LM98.
>
> > Because Omni (built-in app) with 5.23 has this later version of Lan
> > Manager/TCPIP Client whaich /can/ do the NTLM encrypted log-ins.
>
> > Even I got that bit!

> If it's built in, how do you get at it?

> I've looked in The Boot Configure, Network Configuration, nothing in
there?

!Omni is in ROOL's HardDisc4 Images, in Apps, :-

https://www.riscosopen.org/content/downloads/common

--
David Pitt

Brian Howlett

Dec 22, 2015, 5:16:02 PM12/22/15
On 22 Dec, Dave Symes <da...@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> If it's built in, how do you get at it?

> I've looked in The Boot Configure, Network Configuration, nothing in there?

!Omni is in Resources:$.Apps on this 'ere Iyonix.
--
Brian Howlett - Email to From: address deleted unseen
This place would be a paradise tomorrow, if every department had a

John Rickman Iyonix

Dec 22, 2015, 5:51:17 PM12/22/15
Peter Young wrote

>> Actually, as Vince pointed out John is using RO5.21 and really ought to
>> use 5.23 as both are development versions but 5.23 has no need for
>> LanMan98.

> Sorry to be ignorant (as usual), but in what way does 5.23, which I
> have, not need LanMan98? If you mean Omni, I can get this to connect
> to my NAS but not to the shares on my Win7 laptop.

I have downloaded 5.23 and extracted the new !Omni with encrypted
log-in support.
Unfortunately I cannot get it to work with my Windows 10 system. I may
specified the parameters incorrectly.
But it may have somethngto do with Windows 10 Home edition not having
support for domains.

John

--
John Rickman - http://rickman.orpheusweb.co.uk/lynx
John Rickman - http://mug.riscos.org/

John Rickman Iyonix

Dec 22, 2015, 6:12:11 PM12/22/15
Vince M Hudd wrote

> John Rickman Iyonix <ric...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
>> Vince M Hudd wrote

> [...]

>>> The latest version of LanmanFS is version 2.52, 9th August 2015, which
>>> supports NTLM encrypted log-ins. This *should* work with Windows 10 (I'm
>>> using Win8, and it works with that).

>> I have an old version of LanMan98 but from your note above it seems I
>> should not need to use it, as LanmanFS does the same job.

> It certainly does here!

>> My problem is confusion compounded by out of date information and lack of
>> documentation. Could you point me to a link which explains !Omni and how
>> to use it.

> I've just knocked together a quick step by step guide to setting up a
> Windows Share and accessing it from RISC OS - hopefully I've not missed any
> steps (obviously, everything's already up and running here, so it's possible
> I may have forgotten to mention something I had to do in the first place -
> but I *think* it's all there).

> http://posts.softrock.co.uk/2015/12/windows-folder-access-risc-os/

Thanks again Vince - I will give it a go and let you know if anything
is not clear:-)

John

--
John Rickman - http://rickman.orpheusweb.co.uk/lynx
Tout a été dit, mais comme personne n'écoute, il faut toujours

John Rickman Iyonix

Dec 22, 2015, 6:53:44 PM12/22/15
Vince M Hudd wrote

> I've just knocked together a quick step by step guide to setting up a
> Windows Share and accessing it from RISC OS - hopefully I've not missed any
> steps (obviously, everything's already up and running here, so it's possible
> I may have forgotten to mention something I had to do in the first place -
> but I *think* it's all there).

> http://posts.softrock.co.uk/2015/12/windows-folder-access-risc-os/

I followed your very clear instructions to the letter.

Result - message from Omni - "cannot find given server"

Then I changed the server name from xps to 192.168.1.7

Result - message from Omni - "Already connected to this drive on this
server"

so near and yet so far!

Dave Symes

Dec 23, 2015, 3:40:24 AM12/23/15
In article <f4e535365...@rickman.argonet.co.uk>,
John Rickman Iyonix <ric...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
Yes I'm having the same problem.

Using the same info as I use to config a disk in LM98, Omni continues to
throw up "Cannot find given server"

Whatever that means...
The given server is: "Blackfan" or 192.168.0.4 (Sans quotes).
The Dir path is: "C:\Apps" Which on the Win side is a shared dir.
User: Everyone

So what is the answer? I have no idea...

Dave

--

Dave Triffid

Dave Symes

Dec 23, 2015, 3:43:09 AM12/23/15
In article <aaea2c3655...@bhowlett.plus.net>,
Brian Howlett <news-s...@brianhowlett.me.uk> wrote:
> On 22 Dec, Dave Symes <da...@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> > If it's built in, how do you get at it?

> > I've looked in The Boot Configure, Network Configuration, nothing in
> > there?

> !Omni is in Resources:$.Apps on this 'ere Iyonix.

Undeedy, that's where I found it last evening after posting.

Thanks
Dave

Unfortunately I can't get it to work... As others have noted.
"Cannot find given server."

Dave

--

Dave Triffid

Adrian Crafer

Dec 23, 2015, 5:29:25 AM12/23/15
In message <5536665...@triffid.co.uk>
I also tried as instructions were very clear. On the first attempt I
also got "Cannot find given server". Changing server name to the IP
address produced the error "Connection rejected by server" which
suggests a small step forward. Any suggestions?

I checked the connections to my couple of NAS drives and I note I had
to use IP addresses to make them work rather than the server name.

Adrian Crafer

--

acr...@orpheusmail.co.uk

News

Dec 23, 2015, 6:01:11 AM12/23/15
In article <5536665...@triffid.co.uk>,
Dave Symes <da...@triffid.co.uk> wrote:
> Unfortunately I can't get it to work... As others have noted.
> "Cannot find given server."

You need a very recent version. The LanManFS module is dated 21 Aug
2015.

--
Chris Johnson

John Rickman Iyonix

Dec 23, 2015, 6:11:04 AM12/23/15

>> Unfortunately I can't get it to work... As others have noted.
>> "Cannot find given server."

>> Dave

Adrian Crafer wrote
> I also tried as instructions were very clear. On the first attempt I
> also got "Cannot find given server". Changing server name to the IP
> address produced the error "Connection rejected by server" which
> suggests a small step forward.
> Any suggestions?

I do enough about Windows innards to be sure but there might be a log
that shows details of failed connection attempts.

John

--
John Rickman - http://rickman.orpheusweb.co.uk/lynx
The camel driver has his thoughts, the camel he has his. EGLR

John Rickman Iyonix

Dec 23, 2015, 6:22:24 AM12/23/15
John Rickman Iyonix wrote

> I do enough about Windows innards ........
^^
do not
The essence of reaching a political solution is that you must let
by-gones be by-gones - Nelson Mandela

Alan Adams

Dec 23, 2015, 6:35:12 AM12/23/15
In message <mpro.nzs2ec002mlp...@dotcodotukat.co.uk>
Vince M Hudd <atdotc...@dotcodotukat.co.uk> wrote:

> John Rickman Iyonix <ric...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
>> Vince M Hudd wrote

> [...]

>>> The latest version of LanmanFS is version 2.52, 9th August 2015, which
>>> supports NTLM encrypted log-ins. This *should* work with Windows 10 (I'm
>>> using Win8, and it works with that).

>> I have an old version of LanMan98 but from your note above it seems I
>> should not need to use it, as LanmanFS does the same job.

> It certainly does here!

>> My problem is confusion compounded by out of date information and lack of
>> documentation. Could you point me to a link which explains !Omni and how
>> to use it.

> I've just knocked together a quick step by step guide to setting up a
> Windows Share and accessing it from RISC OS - hopefully I've not missed any
> steps (obviously, everything's already up and running here, so it's possible
> I may have forgotten to mention something I had to do in the first place -
> but I *think* it's all there).

> http://posts.softrock.co.uk/2015/12/windows-folder-access-risc-os/

Thanks. That worked here - except -

When I click "save mounts" Omni crashes with "insufficient memory". It
needs a larger Next slot, but I can't see/remember how to change that
permanently.

I find the interface irritating. There's no help for a start. If you
run Omni, and click on the icon bar icon, it shows "Lan Manager".
Clicking on that gives what looks like a connection window, which
isn't.

The Mounts -> Protocols -> Lan Manager route isn't easily discovered.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
al...@adamshome.org.uk

Dave Symes

Dec 23, 2015, 6:36:00 AM12/23/15
In article <553672956cc...@spamcop.net>,
The one in my 5.23 install is 2.52 (9th Aug 2015) and I can't seem to
find a later one.

Dave

--

Dave Triffid

druck

Dec 23, 2015, 7:05:06 AM12/23/15
On 23/12/2015 11:32, Alan Adams wrote:
> When I click "save mounts" Omni crashes with "insufficient memory". It
> needs a larger Next slot, but I can't see/remember how to change that
> permanently.

Edit the Wimpslot line in it's !Run

---druck

Tim Hill

Dec 23, 2015, 7:21:48 AM12/23/15
In article <5536665...@triffid.co.uk>, Dave Symes
I gave up on LanMan and switched to SunFish so long ago, I forget why
exactly but I remember it had something to do with Windows updating
itself and suddenly LanMan stopped working, leaving me high and dry and
swearing a lot, being reduced to swapping files on USB memory.

I had the choice to wait for an upgrade or switch to SunFish and stick an
NFS server on my PC. I needed it to work right away and it did but
installing the NFS server wasn't trivial and felt always like a terrible
bodge. It involved an arcane command being typed into a command window!!
(shudder!). Nowadays I don't bother with accessing my PC directly because
of those Windows updates which at any time could suddenly block RISC OS.
(OH! LOOK! W10!) Instead, I use shared folders on a NAS to exchange
files, which is really the only way to share files between RISC OS and
un-jailbroken Android anyway.

Better to have one server device rather than everything running multiple
servers (bandwidth!). So much easier to maintain too. Anyone without a
NAS can buy one when they need a new backup device. So cheap now. As a
bonus, personal 'clouds' are said to be more secure than 'real' cloud
services.

--
from Tim Hill who welcomes incoming email to tim at timil dot com.
* Share in a better energy supplier: http://tjrh.eu/coopnrg

John Rickman Iyonix

Dec 23, 2015, 7:38:10 AM12/23/15
druck wrote
Thanks - obvious really:-)

Saving now works, but where are the savings?
the save spec does not seem to be on offer from any menu.

John

--
John Rickman - http://rickman.orpheusweb.co.uk/lynx
Ein nasser Vogel fliegt nicht bei Nacht - Das ist der Sinn des Lebens.

Alan Adams

Dec 23, 2015, 7:55:37 AM12/23/15
In message <n5e2gn$vld$1...@dont-email.me>
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was wanting to increase the value of Next
shown in Tasks, as a number of other aplications also seem to have
trouble on 5.23 - does the ArmX6 use a different page size or
something?

John Rickman Iyonix

Dec 23, 2015, 8:27:15 AM12/23/15
Alan Adams wrote

> In message <n5e2gn$vld$1...@dont-email.me>
> druck <ne...@druck.org.uk> wrote:

>> On 23/12/2015 11:32, Alan Adams wrote:
>>> When I click "save mounts" Omni crashes with "insufficient memory". It
>>> needs a larger Next slot, but I can't see/remember how to change that
>>> permanently.

>> Edit the Wimpslot line in it's !Run

>> ---druck

> Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was wanting to increase the value of Next
> shown in Tasks, as a number of other aplications also seem to have
> trouble on 5.23 - does the ArmX6 use a different page size or
> something?

The failure has nothing to do with 5.23 or ArmX6. It also happens on
5.21 on Iyonix.
The wimpslot in the !Run file has min and max set to 36K.
I changed max to 200k and the Save appeared to work, but as noted
somewhere else there seems to be no way of retrieving the Save.

John

--
John Rickman - http://rickman.orpheusweb.co.uk/lynx
Foot it featly here and there And, sweet sprites, the burden bear.

News

Dec 23, 2015, 10:08:08 AM12/23/15
In article <0d6080365...@rickman.argonet.co.uk>,
John Rickman Iyonix <ric...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> I changed max to 200k and the Save appeared to work, but as noted
> somewhere else there seems to be no way of retrieving the Save.

Have you looked in Choices:Omni.mounts?

--
Chris Johnson

News

Dec 23, 2015, 10:08:08 AM12/23/15
In article <5536762...@triffid.co.uk>,
Dave Symes <da...@triffid.co.uk> wrote:
> The one in my 5.23 install is 2.52 (9th Aug 2015) and I can't seem
> to find a later one.

Ahhh - my version came from R-Comp. It is fine with my two NAS boxes.
I do not use Windows, so cannot speak for that. I have stopped using
LM98 with the NAS.

--
Chris Johnson

John Rickman Iyonix

Dec 23, 2015, 10:34:41 AM12/23/15
News wrote
I have now - the save wrote headers but no data
:-

# Mount list saved by OmniClient at 12:32:52 on 23 Dec 2015
#
# Protocol, Alias, Flags, Server, Mount path, User ID, Password,
Authentication
#

John

--
John Rickman - http://rickman.orpheusweb.co.uk/lynx
For ye have the poor always with you; but me ye have not always.

Vince M Hudd

Dec 23, 2015, 10:58:05 AM12/23/15
John Rickman Iyonix <ric...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

[...]

> Saving now works, but where are the savings? the save spec does not seem
> to be on offer from any menu.

When you save the connections you have made/set up, they should just appear
as entries on the 'Mounts' submenu the next time you run OmniClient.

(The only thing that isn't saved is the password - there may be a way to do
that, but I prefer security over convenience!)

As an aside (perhaps I should have read the whole thread before posting at
all) - if you're saving the connections, does that mean you've now solved
the problem of not being able to connect to the share?

Vince M Hudd

Dec 23, 2015, 10:58:05 AM12/23/15
John Rickman Iyonix <ric...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

[...]

> I followed your very clear instructions to the letter.

> Result - message from Omni - "cannot find given server"

> Then I changed the server name from xps to 192.168.1.7

> Result - message from Omni - "Already connected to this drive on this
> server"

(And similar comments from others)

Hmm. It wouldn't surprise me if there are other things I did when setting
the computer up in the first place that were relevent, but have since
forgotten, therefore didn't mention in that post.

The only real way to be sure is to go through the whole set up from scratch
- and while I *do* have another virgin PC to set up (it's been sitting new
in its box since around July IIRC), which would therefore be ideal for this,
I've nowhere to put it at the mo.

That aside, one thing that seems plausible in the context of this problem,
which I didn't mention, is how your network is set up: I'm using DHCP, and
I'm fairly sure the router is set as the name server on RISC OS. (It
certainly is on Windows).

If you are using static addresses, I would expect it to still work, but
you'll need an appropriate entry in your hosts file to address the computer
by name. (This is probably stating the obvious, but sometimes the obvious
can be overlooked).

Vince M Hudd

Dec 23, 2015, 10:58:06 AM12/23/15
Dave Symes <da...@triffid.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <553672956cc...@spamcop.net>,
> News <chrisj...@spamcop.net> wrote:

[...]

> > You need a very recent version. The LanManFS module is dated 21 Aug
> > 2015.

> The one in my 5.23 install is 2.52 (9th Aug 2015) and I can't seem to
> find a later one.

The version I'm using - which was the basis of my instructions - is that
version. The 21st August version is newer still.

Alan Adams

Dec 23, 2015, 11:23:00 AM12/23/15
In message <0d6080365...@rickman.argonet.co.uk>
John Rickman Iyonix <ric...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> Alan Adams wrote

>> In message <n5e2gn$vld$1...@dont-email.me>
>> druck <ne...@druck.org.uk> wrote:

>>> Edit the Wimpslot line in it's !Run

>>> ---druck

>> Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was wanting to increase the value of Next
>> shown in Tasks, as a number of other aplications also seem to have
>> trouble on 5.23 - does the ArmX6 use a different page size or
>> something?

> The failure has nothing to do with 5.23 or ArmX6. It also happens on
> 5.21 on Iyonix.
> The wimpslot in the !Run file has min and max set to 36K.
> I changed max to 200k and the Save appeared to work, but as noted
> somewhere else there seems to be no way of retrieving the Save.

I saw that wimpslot, and was therefore surprised that increasing Next
from 640K to 1500K seemed to fix the problem. (The times when Next
matters are when one program, with it's own Wimpslot definistion,
launches a helper application that may/does not.)

> John

John

Dec 23, 2015, 11:49:09 AM12/23/15
In article <c5ee74365...@rickman.argonet.co.uk>, John
Rickman Iyonix <ric...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> John Rickman Iyonix wrote

> > I do enough about Windows innards ........
> ^^
> do not
^
know

:-))

John

--
John
new...@blueyonder.co.uk

News

Dec 23, 2015, 1:48:07 PM12/23/15
In article <mpro.nztizo0019mg...@dotcodotukat.co.uk>,
Vince M Hudd <atdotc...@dotcodotukat.co.uk> wrote:
> (The only thing that isn't saved is the password - there may be a
> way to do that, but I prefer security over convenience!)

I just added it to the mounts file in choices - I think the mounts
file tells you the format. Added it between the two commas in the pw
column.

--
Chris Johnson

Dave Symes

Dec 23, 2015, 2:20:09 PM12/23/15
In article <5536762...@triffid.co.uk>,
Dave Symes <da...@triffid.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <553672956cc...@spamcop.net>,
> News <chrisj...@spamcop.net> wrote:
> > In article <5536665...@triffid.co.uk>,
> > Dave Symes <da...@triffid.co.uk> wrote:
> > > Unfortunately I can't get it to work... As others have noted.
> > > "Cannot find given server."

> > You need a very recent version. The LanManFS module is dated 21 Aug
> > 2015.

> The one in my 5.23 install is 2.52 (9th Aug 2015) and I can't seem to
> find a later one.

> Dave

Well, I had another go this evening, but just couldn't get Omni and
LanManFS to connect to anything... Either by server name or ip address.
Same old reply..."Cannot find given server."

Which is a load of toilet contents, as linking it (Omni) to LanMan98 with
the same data in the writables, connected okay.

Think I've wasted enough time on this... Unless someone has some useful
suggestions.

Dave

--

Dave Triffid

Dave Higton

Dec 23, 2015, 2:27:41 PM12/23/15
In message <9e1f703...@orpheusnet.co.uk>
Curious. "Cannot find given server" when trying to connect by name
looks like a failure to resolve the server name.

"Connection rejected by server" might have several causes: incorrect
credentials, or the firewall blocking port 139/TCP, are the first
things I would look at.

Dave

druck

Dec 23, 2015, 2:31:43 PM12/23/15
On 23/12/2015 12:56, Alan Adams wrote:
> Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was wanting to increase the value of Next
> shown in Tasks, as a number of other aplications also seem to have
> trouble on 5.23 - does the ArmX6 use a different page size or
> something?

If you don't have the "Misc" !Configure setting which has an option for
this, add an obey file to !Boot.Choices.Boot.Tasks containing:-

Wimpslot -next 4096K

Or whatever value you need.

---druck

Dave Symes

Dec 23, 2015, 2:53:05 PM12/23/15
In article <785fa1365...@my.inbox.com>,
Here RPCEmu is explicitely allowed through the Firewall.

Dave

--

Dave Triffid

Dave Symes

Dec 23, 2015, 2:57:31 PM12/23/15
In article <5536a3a...@triffid.co.uk>,
Dave Symes <da...@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

[Snip]

> Here RPCEmu is explicitely allowed through the Firewall.
^
That should have said... explicitly...

Dave

--

Dave Triffid

Alan Adams

Dec 23, 2015, 4:15:13 PM12/23/15
In message <n5esm4$5gg$1...@dont-email.me>
Thanks. The ARMX6 doesn't have a Misc configure tile, so I'll do the
above.

Peter Young

Dec 23, 2015, 5:11:25 PM12/23/15
On 23 Dec 2015 Alan Adams <al...@adamshome.org.uk> wrote:

> In message <n5esm4$5gg$1...@dont-email.me>
> druck <ne...@druck.org.uk> wrote:

>> On 23/12/2015 12:56, Alan Adams wrote:
>>> Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was wanting to increase the value of Next
>>> shown in Tasks, as a number of other aplications also seem to have
>>> trouble on 5.23 - does the ArmX6 use a different page size or
>>> something?

>> If you don't have the "Misc" !Configure setting which has an option for
>> this, add an obey file to !Boot.Choices.Boot.Tasks containing:-

>> Wimpslot -next 4096K

>> Or whatever value you need.

>> ---druck

> Thanks. The ARMX6 doesn't have a Misc configure tile, so I'll do the
> above.

You need to get Misc Setup from the late lamented Paul Vigay's sire to
get this addition to !Boot. Well worth it, IMHO.

Best wishes,

Peter.

--
Peter Young (zfc Os) and family
http://pnyoung.orpheusweb.co.uk
pny...@ormail.co.uk

Dave Symes

Dec 24, 2015, 1:41:27 AM12/24/15
In article <d058b0365...@pnyoung.ormail.co.uk>,
Peter Young <pny...@ormail.co.uk> wrote:
[Snippy]
> You need to get Misc Setup from the late lamented Paul Vigay's sire to
> get this addition to !Boot. Well worth it, IMHO.

> Best wishes,

> Peter.

Another very useful gadget from Paul was/is !TaskSetup.

This adds a new gadget to Boot Configure, particularly useful for none
RISC OS user to configure Boot items On or Off (Enable/Disable) without
having to Remove (Delete) it as happens in some RISC OS versions.

Last version I have is 1.05.

Dave

--

Dave Triffid

Dave Symes

Dec 24, 2015, 1:45:49 AM12/24/15
In article <5536df0...@triffid.co.uk>,
Dave Symes <da...@triffid.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <d058b0365...@pnyoung.ormail.co.uk>,
> Peter Young <pny...@ormail.co.uk> wrote:
> [Snippy]
> > You need to get Misc Setup from the late lamented Paul Vigay's sire to
> > get this addition to !Boot. Well worth it, IMHO.

> > Best wishes,

> > Peter.

> Another very useful gadget from Paul was/is !TaskSetup.

> This adds a new gadget to Boot Configure, particularly useful for none
> RISC OS ***** user to configure Boot items On or Off (Enable/Disable)
> without having to Remove (Delete) it as happens in some RISC OS versions.

> Last version I have is 1.05.

> Dave

Sorry missed a bit.

***** 6.20 users

It should read...

This adds a new gadget to Boot Configure, particularly useful for none
RISC OS 6.20 users to configure Boot items On or Off (Enable/Disable)
without having to Remove (Delete) it as happens in some RISC OS versions.

Dave Triffid

Dave Symes

Dec 24, 2015, 1:57:55 AM12/24/15
On 24 Dec, da...@triffid.co.uk wrote:

> This adds a new gadget to Boot Configure, particularly useful for none
> RISC OS 6.20 users to configure Boot items On or Off (Enable/Disable)
> without having to Remove (Delete) it as happens in some RISC OS versions.

Just done a test after installing TaskSetup 1.05 on some ROOL RISC OS
installs... and it does seem to work okay with RISC OS 5.22 and 5.23

Dave Triffid

David H Wild

Dec 24, 2015, 5:16:54 AM12/24/15
In article <5536df0...@triffid.co.uk>,
Dave Symes <da...@triffid.co.uk> wrote:
> > You need to get Misc Setup from the late lamented Paul Vigay's sire to
> > get this addition to !Boot. Well worth it, IMHO.

> > Best wishes,

> > Peter.

> Another very useful gadget from Paul was/is !TaskSetup.
Have you a URL, please.

--
David Wild using RISC OS on broadband
www.davidhwild.me.uk

Peter Young

Dec 24, 2015, 6:24:33 AM12/24/15
On 24 Dec 2015 David H Wild <dhw...@talktalk.net> wrote:

> In article <5536df0...@triffid.co.uk>,
> Dave Symes <da...@triffid.co.uk> wrote:
>>> You need to get Misc Setup from the late lamented Paul Vigay's sire to
>>> get this addition to !Boot. Well worth it, IMHO.

>>> Best wishes,

>>> Peter.

>> Another very useful gadget from Paul was/is !TaskSetup.
> Have you a URL, please.

http://www.vigay.com/software/index.html

Peter Young

Dec 24, 2015, 8:58:36 AM12/24/15
On 22 Dec 2015 Vince M Hudd <atdotc...@dotcodotukat.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]

> I've just knocked together a quick step by step guide to setting up a
> Windows Share and accessing it from RISC OS - hopefully I've not missed any
> steps (obviously, everything's already up and running here, so it's possible
> I may have forgotten to mention something I had to do in the first place -
> but I *think* it's all there).

> http://posts.softrock.co.uk/2015/12/windows-folder-access-risc-os/

Many belated thanks to Vince for this. I've finally got a round tuit,
and at last I can see Win7 shares from this ARMX6. Seasonal blessings
upon Vince and all his tribe!

I can now also transfer using ShareFS files from VRPC to the ARMX6;
till now, I could transfer ARMX6 > VRPC but not vice versa; that I can
do now is presumably a side-effect of successful sharing. Till today I
had to transfer either via the NAS or using a USB stick.

Only one problem remains, and not a major one. The only W7 folder I've
tried to share is its Dropbox folder. The correct word appears beneath
the LanMan98 icon, but clicking this gives the message "Connection
down". If I then try connecting to any of the other shares they
connect properly. Anyone have any idea why this should be so?

Peter Young

Dec 24, 2015, 9:58:01 AM12/24/15
On 24 Dec 2015 Peter Young <pny...@ormail.co.uk> wrote:

[snip success with W7 sharing from RISCOS]

> Only one problem remains, and not a major one. The only W7 folder I've
> tried to share is its Dropbox folder. The correct word appears beneath
> the LanMan98 icon, but clicking this gives the message "Connection
> down". If I then try connecting to any of the other shares they
> connect properly. Anyone have any idea why this should be so?

Well, blow me down! No idea what I did, but I can now share the
Dropbox folder too. I shall reverse the Windows Haiku:

Once it did not work.
Now, behold, it works for me.
Windows is like that.

David H Wild

Dec 24, 2015, 12:16:52 PM12/24/15
In article <48f9f8365...@pnyoung.ormail.co.uk>,
Peter Young <pny...@ormail.co.uk> wrote:
> > Have you a URL, please.

> http://www.vigay.com/software/index.html

Thank you.

spampling

Dec 27, 2015, 5:42:19 AM12/27/15
In article <5536a3a...@triffid.co.uk>,
Dave Symes <da...@triffid.co.uk> wrote:
> Here RPCEmu is explicitely allowed through the Firewall.

It's inside the firewall going out.

--

Steve Pampling