is PowerScribe Dragon in disguise?

jfk

Apr 17, 2007, 2:22:36 PM4/17/07
i have been using PowerScribe for about three years. prior to that
time, and intermittently during the same period i have used Dragon.

i and my colleages find PowerScribe to be a much poorer system than
Dragon, in that it frequently puts in words which have not been
uttered, does not include words which have been said, incorrectly
tries to correct grammar, and incorrectly makes plural singular, and
singular plural. it has improved only minimally over the past three
years, continuing to make the same errors as it did the first day,
and not allowing any form of correction of these same errors. it
also is much slower than Dragon in that proofing the PowerScribe
dictation requires meticulous reading to find the errors.

now.....................a colleague swears that PowerScribe uses the
same engine as Dragon. can this possibly be? i have used both
systems extensively, and think they are as different as day and
night.

i would appreciate input from someone who might know the answer. i
cannot believe that the difference lies only in the microphones as
PowerScribe is so incredibly awkward in the program.

thank you for your input.

jfk

Martin Markoe

Apr 17, 2007, 6:31:16 PM4/17/07
On Apr 17, 2:22 pm, jfk <jfkad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i have been using PowerScribe for about three years. prior to that
> time, and intermittently during the same period i have used Dragon.
>
> i and my colleages find PowerScribe to be a much poorer system than
> Dragon, in that it frequently puts in words which have not been
> uttered, does not include words which have been said, incorrectly
> tries to correct grammar, and incorrectly makes plural singular, and
> singular plural. it has improved only minimally over the past three
> years, continuing to make the same errors as it did the first day,
> and not allowing any form of correction of these same errors. it
> also is much slower than Dragon in that proofing the PowerScribe
> dictation requires meticulous reading to find the errors.
> would appreciate input from someone who might know the answer

My understanding is that Power Scribe uses an older version of Dragon
possibly version 7. Frankly, we were getting fairly good results with
Dragon 7 although Dragon is quite a bit more accurate because it is
the first version that uses Quad-grams (groups of four words to
analyze context).

Also, other factors that impact accuracy include:
1. A good microphone that not only reproduces your voice faithfully
but cancels background noise
2. Good pronunciation of every word as you speak. The software may use
continuous speech, but it does not use conversational speech.
3. It helps to speak in phrases such software can analyze the words in
context as well as listen for the sounds of words.

--
Martin Markoe, eMicrophones, Inc.
The best microphones for Speech Recognition

John Doe

Apr 18, 2007, 12:42:35 AM4/18/07
jfk <jfka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> also is much slower than Dragon in that proofing the PowerScribe
> dictation requires meticulous reading to find the errors.

I have text-to-speech read to me from the computer and help with
proofreading, namely TextAloud MP3 combined with IMO the best
computer-generated voices that happen to come with IBM ViaVoice. It
helps with grammar and word errors.

> now.....................a colleague swears that PowerScribe uses the
> same engine as Dragon. can this possibly be? i have used both
> systems extensively, and think they are as different as day and
> night.

I have the same impression about the functionality of IBM ViaVoice
versus Dragon NaturallySpeaking. Granted, I started out with IBM
ViaVoice and might have had a tough time with Dragon NaturallySpeaking
too, but I could tell that ViaVoice was never polished, it was like a
big bowl of programming spaghetti.

> i would appreciate input from someone who might know the answer. i
> cannot believe that the difference lies only in the microphones as
> PowerScribe is so incredibly awkward in the program.

Given a properly configured system, the user's voice versus a stupid
computer (programming expertise and hardware muscle) trying to
recognize it is by far the greatest impediment to successful speech
recognition. I use an inexpensive Labtec microphone that works just
fine.

I use a digital recorder (Olympus). They are very useful for taking
notes, especially for a to-do and a to-buy list. Being able to
instantly play back the single word or phrase recording without even
stopping it first gives feedback that helps me hear and correct
speaking errors. Used a digital recorder for at least one year before
being able to use speech recognition.

I dictate single words frequently, with no context. It usually works
but for whatever reasons sometimes it doesn't. Given the amazing
usefulness the program usually provides, those odd times can be very
funny to me.

"metal"

... medal

"metal!"

... Mattel

"METAL!!!"

... Disneyland

:o/

Martin Markoe

Apr 18, 2007, 6:05:32 AM4/18/07
On Apr 18, 12:42 am, John Doe <j...@usenetlove.invalid> wrote:

> jfk <jfkad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > also is much slower than Dragon in that proofing the PowerScribe
> > dictation requires meticulous reading to find the errors.
>
> I have text-to-speech read to me from the computer and help with
> proofreading, namely TextAloud MP3 combined with IMO the best
> computer-generated voices that happen to come with IBM ViaVoice. It
> helps with grammar and word errors.

PowerScribe is a "Professional" speech recognition software. It was
designed for Radiologists to use to create reports, often up to a
hundred every day. Radiologists are willing to read to proof their
work but are not willing to spend the time to hear their dictation
read back to them. Over the last 14 years we have installed, trained
and supported dozens of radiologists using speech recognition. I
cannot imagine a radiologist spending the time waiting for text/speech
readback when they can read through the report in a fraction of the
time. Perhaps the original poster will come back and correct one of
us?

Martin Markoe, eMicrophhones, Inc.

John Doe

Apr 18, 2007, 8:43:07 AM4/18/07

The malicious misfit Martin Markoe's only USENET activity is spamming
the speech users group, filling the archives with his advertising, and
driving other regular authors away.

If you deal with the spammer, check a price comparison web site before
you get ripped off.

Following are a few quotes from others directed to the chronic liar
and malicious troll Martin Markoe. They help illustrate the annoyance
and frustration that unrestrained advertising causes for real users
looking for help on unmoderated USENET groups.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.speech.users/msg/3becc9fa6c340ffc?

You are not a technologist. You sell microphones.

Marty, how come whenever someone disagrees with you, you get into this
high school urinating contest mode? Actually I can't find your
credentials anywhere either, except as a guy selling something.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.speech.users/msg/473a2b3f9dd6a0f0?

Man you really are full of yourself! Just leave me alone. I asked you
a question. Silly me, I wanted to know what I was buying before I
bought it. How absurd! I then get email after email after email from
you telling me that you won't answer my question and trying to justify
it. Lets cut the crap. You won't answer my question. I won't buy from
you. So now go away and let me get USEFUL information from someone who
will be honest with me instead of evasive, devisive and insulting!

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.speech.users/msg/d256b8b7563712e9?

More importantly I am not here touting my business. A position which
makes anything you say suspect, doesn't it.

I have been watching this group for a long time and you have managed
to turn it into the eMicrophones, Inc. mail list. Almost no one with
expertise posts here any longer.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.speech.users/msg/6014c0e38032578f?

Is anyone else beyond annoyed with the two pathetically desperate
"small business owners" that have driven this group into the ground?

I subscribed 6 months ago hoping to learn something about the
"state-of-the-art" in voice recognition from the user's perspective.

All I've managed to learn is that most users are apparently being
ripped off by over-charging slimy weaseloid microphone hawkers.

Martin Markoe and Mr. "speaktoyourpc.com", I beg you to consider the
number of potential customers you're pissing off before you further
demonstrate your witlessness by posting again. Your childish
King-of-the-Group games should've stopped a loooong time ago.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.speech.users/msg/3b57c2d47a1d5994?

Well said...Refreshing.

[That in response to the prior message.]

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.speech.users/msg/ce73180162c1d199?

... dealing with you on the newsgroups is not an easy thing and most
always turns into some type of flaming war.

... you do get into fights with many regarding microphones and you do
wave your website around more often than necessary and you don't
always tell the truth about competitive products.

I didn't respond because I simply did not want to get into another
fight which is the reason my posts have been very light in the last
few months.

Here are my qualifications. Certified and trained for Philips
SpeechMagic, IBM ViaVoice, IBM Medspeak, Kurzweil VoiceMed, Dragon
NaturallySpeaking Enterprise & L&H VoiceXpress... So please, don't
call me a "Charlatan" because it is simply not true.

And believe me when I tell you that some users actually get better
recognition from $20 headsets than with $100 headsets.

I see vendors posting all the time and as long as you are not a member
of the newsgroup, there aren't constant one-up battles.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.speech.users/msg/ba6cc5fd879272fd?

After getting caught with his pants down regarding his so called
privacy policy, Martin continues to make a complete ass out of
himself.

With this pattern of behaviour, the next step is usually
stalking--email stalking (... to menacingly spread deceit)

[Coincidentally, Martin Markoe did exactly that recently.]

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.speech.users/msg/84f362b69d93a460?

... you don't see the authors in all the newsgroups in a constant
battle. Only with you Marty.

You have left such a bad taste in my mouth about your constant
bickering...

I can't believe you are talking about spamming. I have seen posts from
you that link to as many as 8 direct links to your website (all in one
post) and your signatures fall within 5 or 10 lines long. In my book,
that's called SPAMMING.

... about 2 weeks ago, you claimed to have sold thousands of GN MPA
Satellites. I know for a fact that is not true.

This has become a game and if the flaming stops, perhaps we can get
this group active again.

Guess what Marty.... I have a life. I don't have time to live on the
newsgroups as you do.

This is the 2nd time you have mentioned me being moderated on user
groups. Last time, you apologized about confusing me with someone
else. YOU ARE OUT OF CONTROL MARTY MARKOE.

Marty, your constant abuse on these newsgroups... must come to an end.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.speech.users/msg/5585a5e972b1cc1c?

I give up. I've dealt with delusional people like you before, and it
leads to nowhere... you continue attacking people who are FAR more
experienced and qualified than you, not to mention professional...

See also:
"Martin Markoe" <martin emicrophones.com>
... <mmarkoe bestweb.net>
... <martin speechcontrol.com>
... <mmarkoe optonline.net>
"Michael Mendick" <michael emicrophones.com>

From: Martin Markoe <mmarkoe optonline.net>
Newsgroups: comp.speech.users
Subject: Re: is PowerScribe Dragon in disguise?
Date: 18 Apr 2007 03:05:32 -0700

John Doe

Apr 18, 2007, 8:43:24 AM4/18/07

From: Martin Markoe <mmarkoe optonline.net>
Newsgroups: comp.speech.users

Date: 17 Apr 2007 15:31:16 -0700

Martin Markoe

Apr 18, 2007, 9:14:48 AM4/18/07
On Apr 18, 8:43 am, John Doe <j...@usenetlove.invalid> wrote:

> The malicious misfit Martin Markoe's only USENET activity is spamming
> the speech users group, filling the archives with his advertising, and
> driving other regular authors away.

I apologize if I missed it, but was John Doe attempting to contribute
something to this message thread?

jfk

Apr 18, 2007, 11:33:10 AM4/18/07

i am a radiologist with extensive experience with both programs. if
you are only a vendor of powerscribe then you are not willing to
understand that what i said is accurate, only that someone is being
critical of a program you sell.

Martin Markoe

Apr 18, 2007, 12:12:06 PM4/18/07
jfk,

> i am a radiologist with extensive experience with both programs. if
> you are only a vendor of powerscribe then you are not willing to
> understand that what i said is accurate, only that someone is being

> critical of a program you sell.- Hide quoted text -

I am not sure whose message you are referring to because there is no
name at the beginning. I understand this thread is getting very
confused because the anonymous unskilled, unprofessional person
calling themself John Doe has been spamming this newsgroup with the

worthless minutia and lies. John Doe wrote:

> > I have text-to-speech read to me from the computer and help with
> > proofreading, namely TextAloud MP3 combined with IMO the best
> > computer-generated voices that happen to come with IBM ViaVoice. It
> > helps with grammar and word errors.

I was referring to his suggestion that you should use text to speech
and how that would be impractical for a professional radiologist to
do.

I am just a long time user of Dragon NaturallySpeaking and other
speech recognition software. My business as vendor is to provide
microphones to professionals and along the way I assist with answering
questions if they are within the realm of my knowledge. I do not sell
Dragon NaturallySpeaking or any other speech recognition software and
have not for almost 10 years. We do do training and installations and
that is wherefore I was speaking about our experience has shown most
radiologists would not want to spend the time having their text read
back to them. I was the one who went to a dragon dealer and got the
information that the speech engine in power scribe is an older version
of dragon.

There was no program one way or the other for me to defend or be
critical of.

Sincerely,
Martin Markoe, eMicrophones, Inc.

John Doe

From: Martin Markoe <mmarkoe optonline.net>
Newsgroups: comp.speech.users

Date: 18 Apr 2007 06:14:48 -0700

John Doe

Apr 18, 2007, 5:04:14 PM4/18/07

From: Martin Markoe <mmarkoe optonline.net>
Newsgroups: comp.speech.users

Date: 18 Apr 2007 09:12:06 -0700

Martin Markoe

Apr 18, 2007, 7:26:33 PM4/18/07
Dear Doe,

Please snip and edit your messages. They are impossible to read the
way you post them. As you are the keeper of etiquette on this website,
be kind enough to follow good etiquette by referencing your messages
and contributing in a professional manner.

John Doe

Apr 18, 2007, 7:32:18 PM4/18/07

From: Martin Markoe <mmarkoe optonline.net>
Newsgroups: comp.speech.users

Date: 18 Apr 2007 16:26:33 -0700

Martin Markoe

Apr 18, 2007, 7:44:20 PM4/18/07

John Doe

Apr 18, 2007, 11:16:58 PM4/18/07

From: Martin Markoe <mmarkoe optonline.net>
Newsgroups: comp.speech.users

Date: 18 Apr 2007 16:44:20 -0700
References: <1176834156.502111.162830 q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com> <%khVh.16196$JZ3.5246 newssvr13.news.prodigy.net> <1176890732.516470.79250 q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com> <1176910389.968444.26340 q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com> <1176912726.815276.195280 b75g2000hsg.googlegroups.com> <iJvVh.17497$Um6.4209 newssvr12.news.prodigy.net> <1176938793.444251.140810 l77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com> <6UxVh.4646$2v1.2903 newssvr14.news.prodigy.net>

Martin Markoe

John Doe

Apr 19, 2007, 9:44:44 PM4/19/07

From: Martin Markoe <mmarkoe optonline.net>
Newsgroups: comp.speech.users

Date: 19 Apr 2007 03:32:03 -0700
References: <1176834156.502111.162830 q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com> <%khVh.16196$JZ3.5246 newssvr13.news.prodigy.net> <1176890732.516470.79250 q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com> <1176910389.968444.26340 q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com> <1176912726.815276.195280 b75g2000hsg.googlegroups.com> <iJvVh.17497$Um6.4209 newssvr12.news.prodigy.net> <1176938793.444251.140810 l77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com> <6UxVh.4646$2v1.2903 newssvr14.news.prodigy.net> <1176939860.766358.266760 d57g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>

Martin Markoe

Apr 19, 2007, 10:20:50 PM4/19/07

Martin Markoe

Apr 19, 2007, 10:21:29 PM4/19/07

John Doe

Apr 20, 2007, 6:39:07 AM4/20/07

From: Martin Markoe <mmarkoe optonline.net>
Newsgroups: comp.speech.users

Date: 19 Apr 2007 19:21:29 -0700
References: <1176834156.502111.162830 q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com> <%khVh.16196$JZ3.5246 newssvr13.news.prodigy.net> <1176890732.516470.79250 q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com> <1176910389.968444.26340 q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com> <1176912726.815276.195280 b75g2000hsg.googlegroups.com> <iJvVh.17497$Um6.4209 newssvr12.news.prodigy.net> <1176938793.444251.140810 l77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com> <6UxVh.4646$2v1.2903 newssvr14.news.prodigy.net> <1176939860.766358.266760 d57g2000hsg.googlegroups.com> <1176978723.609896.279290 y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com> <gWUVh.11406$YL5.554 newssvr29.news.prodigy.net>

Martin Markoe

Apr 20, 2007, 8:11:14 AM4/20/07

John Doe

Apr 20, 2007, 10:58:04 AM4/20/07

From: Martin Markoe <mmarkoe optonline.net>
Newsgroups: comp.speech.users

Date: 20 Apr 2007 05:11:14 -0700
References: <1176834156.502111.162830 q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com> <%khVh.16196$JZ3.5246 newssvr13.news.prodigy.net> <1176890732.516470.79250 q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com> <1176910389.968444.26340 q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com> <1176912726.815276.195280 b75g2000hsg.googlegroups.com> <iJvVh.17497$Um6.4209 newssvr12.news.prodigy.net> <1176938793.444251.140810 l77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com> <6UxVh.4646$2v1.2903 newssvr14.news.prodigy.net> <1176939860.766358.266760 d57g2000hsg.googlegroups.com> <1176978723.609896.279290 y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com> <gWUVh.11406$YL5.554 newssvr29.news.prodigy.net> <1177035689.903834.47810 y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com> <fL0Wh.405$ns5.384 newssvr17.news.prodigy.net>

Martin Markoe

Apr 29, 2007, 7:13:02 AM4/29/07
Message received from Mrs. XXXXXX, mothher of John Doe:

Dear Mr. Markoe,
I am John Doe's mother. Sadly, John was born with serious mental
problems that have plagued him his entire life. From an early age he
could not develop interpersonal relationships and although he
performed well academically, he was constantly getting beat up by
otherwise normal children because of his uncontrollable verbal abuse.
Because of his mental depression and inability to form
relationships, he could not get a job. He was deemed a danger to
himself due to the trouble he was getting in as an adult. I
reluctantly agreed to have him admitted to Sunnyvale Hospital for the
Mentally Unstable. I visit John regularly and when he is on his
medications he is almost normal. Unfortunately he seem to have
numerous schemes to avoid taking his medications.
Mr. Coombs, the administrator of Sunnyvale reported to me that John
sneaks into unattended offices and uses the Internet to harass people
and groups at random. They are constantly trying to stop him but do
not have the resources to constantly monitor him.
It is understandable that you and thousands of other people would
like to stop John. This is not likely to happen. I am not asking
forgiveness, just understanding of John's unique mental disability.

Sincerely,
Mrs. XXXXXX (real name is being kept in confidence)

John Doe

Apr 29, 2007, 6:00:36 PM4/29/07

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.speech.users/msg/3becc9fa6c340ffc?

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.speech.users/msg/473a2b3f9dd6a0f0?

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.speech.users/msg/d256b8b7563712e9?

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.speech.users/msg/6014c0e38032578f?

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.speech.users/msg/3b57c2d47a1d5994?

Well said...Refreshing.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.speech.users/msg/ce73180162c1d199?

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.speech.users/msg/ba6cc5fd879272fd?

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.speech.users/msg/84f362b69d93a460?

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.speech.users/msg/5585a5e972b1cc1c?

... <martin speechcontrol.com>
... <mmarkoe optonline.net>
"Michael Mendick" <michael emicrophones.com>

billyrichbroker yahoo.com

From: Martin Markoe <mmarkoe optonline.net>
Newsgroups: comp.speech.users

Date: 29 Apr 2007 04:13:02 -0700
References: <1176834156.502111.162830 q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com> <%khVh.16196$JZ3.5246 newssvr13.news.prodigy.net> <1176890732.516470.79250 q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com> <1176910389.968444.26340 q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com> <1176912726.815276.195280 b75g2000hsg.googlegroups.com> <iJvVh.17497$Um6.4209 newssvr12.news.prodigy.net> <1176938793.444251.140810 l77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com> <6UxVh.4646$2v1.2903 newssvr14.news.prodigy.net> <1176939860.766358.266760 d57g2000hsg.googlegroups.com> <1176978723.609896.279290 y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com> <gWUVh.11406$YL5.554 newssvr29.news.prodigy.net> <1177035689.903834.47810 y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com> <fL0Wh.405$ns5.384 newssvr17.news.prodigy.net> <1177071074.948873.33190 y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com> <0y4Wh.5048$2v1.1495 newssvr14.news.prodigy.net>