fyi> README of popme version 0.04 (simple pop3 client) (3 parts)

Robin A. Goodfellow

Oct 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/10/97

Popme README file for version 0.04
Popme has originally been written by some else.

POPME(1) USER COMMANDS POPME(1)

NAME
popme - simple mail client for post office protocol ver-
sion 3

SYNOPSIS
popme --server SERV --user USER --passwd PWD [options] ...

The options are:
`--port' or `-P', `--delete' or `-D', `--debug' or
`-d', `--help' or `-h', `--output FILE' or `-o
FILE', `--verbose' or `-v', `--version' or `-V',
`--warranty' or `-W'.

DESCRIPTION
Popme is a simple mail client for post office protocol
version 3 mail servers. It lets you specify your POP3
server, your POP3 account name, and your POP3 password to
download your email messages. The mail can be left on the
server, or maye be deleted whatever you choose. You can
retrieve the full contents of all messages or only the top
N lines. (CAVEAT: If you decide to download only the top N
lines remember NOT to delete the messages; otherwise
they're gone.) You may also alter the IP port used to
connect to the POP3 server; in cases you use a "hidden"
POP3 server or have to circumvent a firewall, or must use
a proxy. You can also turn on the debugging and verbose
options for educational purposes and see what popme is
doing and how the POP3 protocol works.

OPTIONS
popme recognizes the following options:

-s, --server SERV
to set the POP3 server SERV.

-u, --user ID
to set the POP3 user ID.

-p, --passwd PWD
to set the POP3 password PWD.

-P, --port PORT
to set the POP3 server port. Default is port 110,
per RFC.

-D, --delete
to delete mail from server. Default is to keep
mail.

-T, --top LINES
to get only the top LINES of mail.

Version 0.04 October 1997 1

POPME(1) USER COMMANDS POPME(1)

-d, --debug
to print debugging information, which may help you
understand how POP3 works.

-h, --help
to print this information.

-o, --output FILE
to specify the output FILE. If you do not specify
an output file, the program writes to stdout.

-v, --verbose
to print information about what is being done.

-V, --version
to print version and COPYRIGHT information.

-W, --warranty
to print WARRANTY information.

SEE ALSO
elm(1), eudora(1), mh(1), netscape(1), pine(1), zmail(1).

EXAMPLES
Show me my email:
example% popme --server pop3.earthling.net --user
rag --passwd foobar

Show me my email and delete it from the server:
example% popme -s pop3.earthling.net -u rag -p foo-
bar -D

Save my email in file "mbox" deleting it from the server:
example% popme -s pop3.earthling.net -u rag -p foo-
bar -D -o mbox

Show me the top 5 lines (envelope headers excluded) of
my email messages:
example% popme -s pop3.earthling.net -u rag -p foo-
bar -T 5

Save my email in file "mbox" from a server using a non-
standard port for POP3 delivery:
example% popme -s pop3.earthling.net -u rag -p foo-
bar -P 10110 -o mbox

In cases when there is no email waiting for you popme will
prompt you with:

popme: Sorry, no fish.

After you've sucessfully saved your email to an mbox file,
you can process the mail using your favourite mailreader,
like elm(1), pine(1), mh(1).

Version 0.04 October 1997 2

POPME(1) USER COMMANDS POPME(1)

Process my email from "mbox" file using elm(1):
example% elm -f mbox

BUGS
Bugs? In my programs? Are you kidding??

AVAILABILITY
Popme has been cross posted to USENET's alt.sources,
comp.sources.unix and is consequently available from your
local netnews archive.

AUTHOR
Copyright (c) 1997 Robin A. Goodfellow. All rights
reserved.
Send bugs, comments, and all the usual fish to r...@earthling.net

WARRANTY
This program is free software; you can redistribute it
and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public
License as published by the Free Software Foundation;
either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any
later version.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be
useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied
warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more
details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public
License along with this program; if not, write to the Free
Software Foundation, 59 Temple Place--Suite 330, Boston,
MA 02111-1307, USA.

Version 0.04 October 1997 3
--
Choose life, -rag

Robin A. Goodfellow
Philosopher, Thinker, Hacker. "The structure is that there
United Earthlings, Inc. is no structure at all."
r...@earthling.net --Andrew S. Tanenbaum