ODBC Driver login screen??

Wim Kraan

Aug 9, 2001, 10:08:24 AM8/9/01
Hello newsgroup,

Since I use SPSS 10 instead of SPSS 9 I get a ODBC driver login screen when
I try to open a file by File-->Open Database-->New Query (for example an
Access database).

What for login-name and or password I have to fill in there? Is there a way
to hide that screen? In SPSS 9 there was no driver login screen when i tried
to open a ODBC database in the same way.

Regards,

Wim Kraan
wgc.kra...@med.vu.nl

Tom

Aug 9, 2001, 8:22:39 PM8/9/01
WIM,

That is a very common question among people trying to connect to an
Access database. The reason is that the "MS Access Database" ODBC data
source is a very generic "data scource name" (DSN). The default login
for ALL Microsoft Access databases unless permissions are explicitly
set/changed is username="Admin" and password="" (i.e. no password).
However, this will not likely help you in here because it's not really
the problem - even though it "seems" like it is! If you go into the
ODBC data source manager and choose to configure "MS Access Database",
I'll bet anything that no database is actually associated with the
DSN.

So, I can think of atleast 2 options for you. The 1st involves doing
something manually, the 2nd involved using SPSS syntax.

OPTION 1
========
Add... a new User DSN, choosing the "Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb).
Be sure to select a database. Once, you set that up, you could always
do a File-->Open Database-->New Query like you're trying to do
(without being prompted) and pull data from THAT specific database.

OPTION 2
========
Take a look at the "Import from ACCESS or LotusNotes.SPS" syntax
located at Ray Levesque's website at
http://pages.infinit.net/rlevesqu/SampleSyntax.htm#ExportImpor. It
gives an example of how to connect to any Access database - without
going through the trouble of creating new DSN's (as in option 1
above)! Moreover, it lets you do a lot more flexible (and easy to
read) things than by using the SPSS menus.

Hope it helps!
TOM