syntax error when dealing with Norwegian letters

Jo Blois

Oct 13, 2010, 10:19:14 AM10/13/10

A problem I can't resolve.
On a Macbook running on SPSS 17.0 on Leopard, this problem does not
occur.

But it does on an iMac running SPSS 18.0 on Snow Leopard.

Unable to work with a Norwegian database because every time a
Norwegian character is encountered, SPSS deals as if the word
terminates there.

For example:

RENAME VARIABLES (fødselsår=ybirth).

works fine on the laptop with SPSS 17.0 but I get :

">Error # 5241 in column 19. Text: f
>Undefined variable name. Check spelling, verify the existence of this
>variable. Has it been dropped or renamed in this command?
>Execution of this command stops.

>Error # 5241 in column 1. Text: EXECUTE
>Undefined variable name. Check spelling, verify the existence of this
>variable. Has it been dropped or renamed in this command?

>Error # 5219 in column 1024. Text: (End of Command)
>Invalid symbol in the RENAME new variable list. PASW Statistics encountered
>something other than a variable name or the TO keyword."

With the iMac running SPSS 18.0

Does anyone knows how to deal with this issue?

Thank you

Jon

JKPeck

Oct 13, 2010, 4:48:51 PM10/13/10

It sounds to me like you have a problem with the character set
setting. Check your locale and Unicode settings
(SHOW LOCALE UNICODE).

You can use SET LOCALE to change the locale appropriately. There
could be a conflict between the database character encoding and the
setting for SPSS. The simplest thing to try, though, is
SET UNICODE ON (which you can also do in Edit>Options). You can't
have any open datasets when you issue this command.

HTH,
Jon Peck

Jo Blois

Oct 19, 2010, 9:15:14 PM10/19/10
Thank you Jon,

It certainly has to do with the character set but I had tried what you
suggest but it won't work.

Whether LOCALE or UNICODE is the default, the problem persists.

So I am stuck with having to do my analyses on the laptop.

I wonder if it has something to do with the SPSS version?

Jon