Cannot Print in Matlab 2006b (or R14 SP3)

rag...@gmail.com

Oct 27, 2006, 6:23:43 PM10/27/06

I am unable to print from Matlab 2006b (I have a similar problem in
R14SP3, which I have installed in the same machine).

I'm runnind Debian/Sid (and CUPS), and when I try to print using
printdlg, I get (in R14SP3):

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: services must be non-null and
non-empty
at javax.print.ServiceUI.printDialog(Unknown Source)
at
com.mathworks.page.export.printdlg.Printdlg.setVisible(Printdlg.java:435)

I've attached at the bottom of the message what I get from using File
-> Print.

Matlab 2006b doesn't print either, but only popups a 'there are no
properly configured printers on the system'.

Printing from the command window with lpr -Psomeprinter works fine for
figures.

I've seen issues like this here, but no solutions. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Carlos

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0"
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: services must be non-null and
non-empty
at javax.print.ServiceUI.printDialog(Unknown Source)
at com.mathworks.mde.cmdwin.XCmdWndView.print(XCmdWndView.java:1596)
at
com.mathworks.mde.cmdwin.CmdWinEditorKit$PrintAction.actionPerformed(CmdWinEditorKit.java:1273)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(Unknown Source)
at
com.mathworks.mwswing.MMotifMenuItemUI$MouseInputHandler.mouseReleased(MMotifMenuItemUI.java:408)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown
Source)

Richard Quist

Oct 30, 2006, 10:42:57 AM10/30/06

<rag...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> I am unable to print from Matlab 2006b (I have a similar problem in
> R14SP3, which I have installed in the same machine).
>
> I'm runnind Debian/Sid (and CUPS), and when I try to print using
> printdlg, I get (in R14SP3):
>
> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: services must be non-null and
> non-empty
> at javax.print.ServiceUI.printDialog(Unknown Source)
> at
> com.mathworks.page.export.printdlg.Printdlg.setVisible(Printdlg.java:435)

It sounds like you're experiencing what is described here:
http://www.mathworks.com/support/bugreports/details.html?rp=264363

--
Richard Quist
Software Developer The MathWorks, Inc.

lars....@gmail.com

Nov 1, 2006, 10:13:02 AM11/1/06
Hi!

I experienced a printing problem after installing MatlabR2006b. Before
I had R14SP3 running on my machine (Kubuntu Dapper 6.06 - printing with
CUPS) and printing was no problem at all. Now I get the error message
"There are no properly configured printers on this system".

The workaround given in Richard's reply doesn't seem to work in my
case.

I'm grateful for every suggestion!!! :-)

Thanks,
lars