xml file format

Dan

Oct 3, 2005, 11:46:43 AM10/3/05
hey I'm having trouble reading from an XML file format i can't seem
to wrap my head around it. I've tried xmlread but i get this error
message

??? Java exception occurred:
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Content is not allowed in prolog.

at org.apache.xerces.parsers.DOMParser.parse(DOMParser.java:235)

at
org.apache.xerces.jaxp.DocumentBuilderImpl.parse(DocumentBuilderImpl.j
ava:201)
.

Error in ==> xmlread at 46
parseResult = p.parse(fileName);

I've tried other functions from toolboxes but they all give me errors
as well, here's a copy of some of the XML document

HDF

ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ×V ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ
` HEAP ( HDFEOS
HDFEOS INFORMATION Ø

TREE ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ X

` HEAP
0 x TREE
ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ (

SNOD ( Ð
x @

HEAP
À FILE_ATTRIBUTES TREE ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ø

SNOD ø Ø x

HEAP
TREE ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ

Randy Poe

Oct 3, 2005, 11:47:55 AM10/3/05

Dan wrote:
> I've tried other functions from toolboxes but they all give me errors
> as well, here's a copy of some of the XML document
>
> HDF
>

> ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ×V ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ
> ` HEAP ( HDFEOS
> HDFEOS INFORMATION Ø
>

> TREE ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ X
>

> ` HEAP
> 0 x TREE
> ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ (

> SNOD ( Ð
> x @
>

> HEAP
> À FILE_ATTRIBUTES TREE ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ø

> SNOD ø Ø x
>

> HEAP
> TREE ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ

That doesn't look much like XML, which should be human
readable text. This looks like some sort of binary format.

- Randy

Christopher Hulbert

Oct 3, 2005, 11:51:13 AM10/3/05

Looks like a binary HDF file?

Dan

Oct 3, 2005, 11:56:52 AM10/3/05
well actually the rest got cut off

GROUP=SWATH_1
SwathName="O3"
GROUP=Dimension
OBJECT=Dimension_1
DimensionName="nTimes"
Size=3498
END_OBJECT=Dimension_1
OBJECT=Dimension_2
DimensionName="nTimesTotal"
Size=3498
END_OBJECT=Dimension_2
OBJECT=Dimension_3
DimensionName="nLevels"
Size=37
END_OBJECT=Dimension_3
END_GROUP=Dimension
GROUP=DimensionMap
END_GROUP=DimensionMap
GROUP=IndexDimensionMap
END_GROUP=IndexDimensionMap
GROUP=GeoField

that's what's after the crap i showed before but i dont understand
why all that junk at the beginning of the file is there. it looks
like it's messing me up.

Dan

Oct 3, 2005, 11:59:04 AM10/3/05
ya I thought it might be HDF too but when i ran an HDF function in
matlab (hdfinfo) it told me it wasn't a valid hdf file format. thanks
though

-Dan

Christopher Hulbert

Oct 3, 2005, 11:59:19 AM10/3/05

It's an HDF-EOS file. It's a specialized form of HDF that was developed
for the Earth Observing Satellites Terra and Aqua.

Randy Poe

Oct 3, 2005, 11:59:16 AM10/3/05

This still doesn't look like XML, which uses tags that look like
HTML. Ex: <OBJECT>Dimension_3
<DimensionName="nLevels">
<Size=37>
</OBJECT>

You should go back to the source that created this file
and try other formats.

- Randy

Steven Lord

Oct 3, 2005, 12:09:29 PM10/3/05

"Christopher Hulbert" <cchgro...@gmail.com> wrote in message

If that's the case, the OP might be interested in this MATLAB Digest article
from November 2002.

http://www.mathworks.com/company/newsletters/digest/nov02/earth.html

and this section of the MATLAB documentation:

http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/matlab_prog/ch_imp42.html

--
Steve Lord
sl...@mathworks.com

dan

Oct 3, 2005, 1:30:32 PM10/3/05
wow thanks a bunch that really helped. reading the articles though I
realized i have the data format HDF-EOS5 or .HE5 and the article
unfortunately told me there is no support for this data format. You
wouldn't happen to know where i could get any toolkits to read this
data format would you? I'm having a bit of trouble finding them.

-Dan

Scott Seidman

Oct 3, 2005, 1:29:43 PM10/3/05
dan <tib...@hotmail.com> wrote in news:ef16...@webx.raydaftYaTP:

Careful about drawing conclusions on 3 year old articles.

Try "help hdf5read"

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply

Christopher Hulbert

Oct 3, 2005, 1:32:03 PM10/3/05

Did you look at any of the HDF 5 tools (h5info, h5read, etc)?

Dan

Oct 3, 2005, 1:47:15 PM10/3/05
wow i didn't even know those existed. It worked too. Thank you all
for everything.