Strange problem with GUIDE application that corrupts MATLAB

Ben Schoepke

May 5, 2009, 6:20:13 PM5/5/09

MATLAB works fine until I try to open a .fig file I created with
GUIDE. When I do that I get all sorts of MATLAB errors and Java
exceptions (see end of post) and it totally makes MATLAB itself
unusable--if I go back to the command prompt and type "ver", for
example, it throws up errors related to the subsindex function:

>> ver
??? Error using ==> subsindex
Function 'subsindex' is not defined for values of class
'function_handle'.

My search path also seems to get messed up because it then won't be
able to find scripts that are in directories that should be in the
path.

I'm not sure what happened, I've been working on the GUI for a few
days now with no problems (nothing too fancy, just controls inputs to
a Simulink simulation and plots the output). Is there any way to
repair/recover the .fig file and fix whatever is causing this problem
or am I out of luck?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Ben

"
??? Error using ==> subsindex
Function 'subsindex' is not defined for values of class
'function_handle'.

Error in ==> cellstr at 28
c{i} = deblank(s(i,:));

Error in ==> errordlg at 47
ErrorString = cellstr(ErrorStringIn);

Error in ==> guidefunc>showErrorDialog at 3781
h = errordlg(message, title);

Error in ==> guidefunc at 152
showErrorDialog('Unhandled internal error in guidefunc');

Error in ==> guide at 132
result = LayoutEditor.openLayoutEditor(filename);

Error in ==> guidetemplate>processDialogResult at 172
guide(destfigfile);

Error in ==> guidetemplate>dialogCallback at 91
processDialogResult(quickstartpanel);

com.mathworks.jmi.MatlabException: Error using ==> subsindex
Function 'subsindex' is not defined for values of class
'function_handle'.
at com.mathworks.jmi.NativeMatlab.SendMatlabMessage(Native Method)
at com.mathworks.jmi.NativeMatlab.sendMatlabMessage(NativeMatlab.java:
211)
at com.mathworks.jmi.MatlabLooper.sendMatlabMessage(MatlabLooper.java:
121)
at com.mathworks.jmi.Matlab.mtFevalConsoleOutput(Matlab.java:1465)
at com.mathworks.jmi.MatlabWorker.feval(MatlabWorker.java:182)
at com.mathworks.jmi.MatlabWorker.feval(MatlabWorker.java:159)
at
com.mathworks.toolbox.matlab.guide.utils.LayoutWorker.runOnMatlabThread
(LayoutWorker.java:51)
at com.mathworks.jmi.MatlabWorker$2.run(MatlabWorker.java:73)
at com.mathworks.jmi.MatlabWorker.start(MatlabWorker.java:226)
at com.mathworks.toolbox.matlab.guide.utils.LayoutWorker.start
(LayoutWorker.java:70)
at
com.mathworks.toolbox.matlab.guide.utils.LayoutWorker.fevalConsoleOutput
(LayoutWorker.java:41)
at com.mathworks.toolbox.matlab.guide.LayoutLooper.readFigure
(LayoutLooper.java:678)
at com.mathworks.toolbox.matlab.guide.LayoutEditor.openLayoutEditor
(LayoutEditor.java:1884)
at com.mathworks.toolbox.matlab.guide.LayoutEditor.openLayoutEditor
(LayoutEditor.java:1847)"

Ben Schoepke

May 5, 2009, 6:56:30 PM5/5/09
Never mind, I just remade the .fig file. Seems like this is a common
problem, at least for 2008a or earlier versions:

http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/newsreader/view_thread/170444

So be sure to keep backups of your GUIDE .fig files!