java.lang.NumberFormatException error

Camilo Cano

Jun 10, 2005, 12:01:24 PM6/10/05
Hi, I've been getting this error in the command window... it is a
large stack so please bear with me:

java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: ""
at java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Integer.<init>(Unknown Source)
at
com.mathworks.mlservices.MatlabDebugServices.createStackInfo(MatlabDeb
ugServices.java:740)
at
com.mathworks.mlservices.MatlabDebugServices$StackDispatch.completed(M
atlabDebugServices.java:1662)
at
com.mathworks.jmi.Matlab$CompletionHandler.messageReceived(Matlab.java
:2079)
at
com.mathworks.services.message.MWLooper.dispatchMessage(MWLooper.java:
412)
at
com.mathworks.services.message.MWLooper.runBridge(MWLooper.java:557)
at com.mathworks.services.message.MWLooper.run(MWLooper.java:526)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: ""
at java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Integer.<init>(Unknown Source)
at
com.mathworks.mlservices.MatlabDebugServices.createStackInfo(MatlabDeb
ugServices.java:740)
at
com.mathworks.mlwidgets.stack.StackComboBox$Builder.run(StackComboBox.
java:174)
at
com.mathworks.mlwidgets.stack.StackComboBox$StackCallback.matlabEvent(
StackComboBox.java:140)
at
com.mathworks.mlwidgets.stack.StackComboBox$DBStackCallback.matlabEven
t(StackComboBox.java:303)
at com.mathworks.jmi.Matlab$AWTReplyEvent.dispatch(Matlab.java:2319)
at
com.mathworks.util.QueueEvent$QueueTarget.processEvent(QueueEvent.java
:100)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown
Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown
Source)
java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: ""
at java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Integer.<init>(Unknown Source)
at
com.mathworks.mlservices.MatlabDebugServices.createStackInfo(MatlabDeb
ugServices.java:740)
at
com.mathworks.mde.editor.ExecutionArrowDisplay.stackReply(ExecutionArr
owDisplay.java:614)
at
com.mathworks.mde.editor.ExecutionArrowDisplay.access$1100(ExecutionAr
rowDisplay.java:29)
at
com.mathworks.mde.editor.ExecutionArrowDisplay$ArrowCallback.dispatchA
ction(ExecutionArrowDisplay.java:762)
at
com.mathworks.mde.editor.ExecutionArrowDisplay$ArrowCallback.access$80
0(ExecutionArrowDisplay.java:732)
at
com.mathworks.mde.editor.ExecutionArrowDisplay$3.run(ExecutionArrowDis
play.java:751)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown
Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown
Source)

-------------

it is very annoying and I cant debug my programs. Any ideas? Thanks.
BTW, I use Matlab v. 7.0.0.27 (R14)

Camilo Cano.

Christina Ahrens

Jun 10, 2005, 12:12:36 PM6/10/05
Are you executing a file that has " after " or " at " in either its name or
full path? If so, that is the cause of the problem. Rename your file or
directory to work around this (this is a known bug that will be addressed in
a future release).

Hope that helps,

Christina Ahrens
The MathWorks, Inc.

"Camilo Cano" <camil...@nospamthanks.com> wrote in message

quo

Jun 10, 2005, 12:12:55 PM6/10/05
> java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: ""
> at java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(Unknown Source)
> at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Unknown Source)
> at java.lang.Integer.<init>(Unknown Source)

Basically this means that somewhere you are passing an empty string
to a function that wants a number. (The exception is usually thrown
when trying to convert a "null" string to a number.)

It's really difficult to know where the error is being thrown from
(for me at least - I'm sure this stack trace means can be tied to an
m-file by someone...), so some more info on what you're doing when
you get this error is helpful.

com.mathworks.mde.editor.ExecutionArrowDisplay$3.run(ExecutionArrowD

However, this line makes me think that you're atttempting to annotate
plots when you get this error. If not, all I can suggest is looking
for someplace in your code where you're passing '' as an argument to
a matlab function...

hope this helps
-quo

Camilo Cano

Jun 10, 2005, 12:52:51 PM6/10/05
Christina Ahrens wrote:

> Are you executing a file that has " after " or " at " in either its
> name or
> full path?

Indeed the name of folder containing the files had the word "after".
I changed this and i have not received the error message again.

Thanks a lot for the help and input.

Camilo