MATLAB error during running

Skip to the first unread message

Indradeep Ghosh

4 Jul 2006, 12:59:5604/07/2006
Hi all
I have been encountering a problem repeatedly in MATLAB, and I wonder
if anyone has experience with this. Since I have no idea why this
problem is arising, I detail exactly how things unfold :
1) I open MATLAB and change the directory from C:\MATLAB\work to the
directory in which my programs are stored
2) I select one of the programs from the directory and open it in the
Editor Window
3) The Command Window displays a series of messages of the form :

java.lang.NullPointerException
at javax.swing.BoxLayout.preferredLayoutSize(Unknown Source)
at
javax.swing.JToolBar$DefaultToolBarLayout.preferredLayoutSize(Unknown
Source)
at java.awt.Container.preferredSize(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.getPreferredSize(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JComponent.getPreferredSize(Unknown Source)
at
com.mathworks.mwswing.MJToolBar.getPreferredSize(MJToolBar.java:404)
at
com.mathworks.mwswing.desk.DTDocumentContainer$TopToolBar.setClient(DT
DocumentContainer.java:2261)
at
com.mathworks.mwswing.desk.DTDocumentContainer.mergeToolBars(DTDocumen
tContainer.java:1275)
at
com.mathworks.mwswing.desk.DTDocumentContainer.propertyChange(DTDocume
ntContainer.java:2006)
at
com.mathworks.mwswing.desk.DTClient.forwardPropertyChange(DTClient.jav
a:1406)
at
com.mathworks.mwswing.desk.DTClient.itemStateChanged(DTClient.java:150
8)
at
com.mathworks.mwswing.desk.DTInternalFrame.setSelected(DTInternalFrame
.java:276)
at
com.mathworks.mwswing.desk.DTClient.setSelected(DTClient.java:432)
at
com.mathworks.mwswing.desk.DTSelectionManager.selectClient(DTSelection
Manager.java:75)
at
com.mathworks.mwswing.desk.DTMultipleClientFrame$4.run(DTMultipleClien
tFrame.java:1774)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown
Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown
Source)

4) The Editor Toolbar disappears - I cannot make edits to the
program, but I cannot save changes
5) MATLAB still runs the programs, but immediately after, again
displays the message I have copied above.

Any ideas what is going on? Much appreciated. Thanks.
Deep
5)

Robert McCormick

10 Jul 2006, 00:48:0710/07/2006
Does this problem happen on every one of your programs that you try
to open in the editor , or just some specific ones. Is there
anything in common between the programs that do cause this error.

Rob

Daniel Mena

10 Jul 2006, 01:15:0310/07/2006
I have this problem but very few times.

Indradeep Ghosh

10 Jul 2006, 15:10:5110/07/2006
Hi Rob
This happens every now and then, with a bunch of very different
programs. I access MATLAB on my school network (i.e., it is not a
personal copy), so perhaps this has something to do with that?
Deep

Robert McCormick

10 Jul 2006, 21:47:3910/07/2006
what about trying to run matlab with out the Java virtual machine

this is done by running the command "matlab -nojvm"