Can you profile compiled code?

samid...@gmail.com

Jan 19, 2013, 1:13:44 AM1/19/13
I am trying to profile some compiled code using Workbench but I don't seem to be able to get any timing data for the lines inside my compiled function. Do I need to set an option or will Profile[] automatically generate data for the compiled function?

I apologize if there is a readily available source that answers my question (I Googled and looked through the Workbench documentation), but I couldn't find one.

Thanks,
Sam

Szabolcs Horvát

Jan 20, 2013, 1:25:47 AM1/20/13
I am not aware of any way to profile the innards of a byte-code
compiled function (which doesn't mean that there ins't a way…)

But if you compile to C (not byte code), technically yo could use a
profiler for C to get some information about what needs to be sped up.
I expect it'll take some work to figure out how to profile such a
function effectively, as the code is generated and loaded into the
kernel by default. You could split the function off and call it from a
separate program (not the kernel) to profile it more easily. I have
never done this personally.