Mathematica on tablet computer

Šerých Jakub

Jan 3, 2012, 5:26:06 AM1/3/12
I hope, that my queestion is not too much off topic for this group.

I'm planning to buy tablet PC (or netbook). My first candidate is ASUS Transformer Prime, but the problem is, that until now it is sold only with Android OS (it is promised, that it shall be sold with MS Windows 8 in the near future).

As a teacher I don't need any massive computation, but I realy do need Mathematica running on that device. I would like to ask group members if they have any personal experiences with Mathematica on such devices (tablet PCs or netbooks running Windows or Linux (not MacOS)).

The second question is for group members from Wolfram: Is Wolfram planning to sell also Android version of Mathematica in the future? If not, would it be teorethicaly possible to run Mathematica on Windows 8 running on ARM processor platform?

Thanks for any responses in advance

Jakub

Bill Rowe

Jan 4, 2012, 5:06:25 AM1/4/12
On 1/3/12 at 5:24 AM, Ser...@panska.cz wrote:

>I hope, that my queestion is not too much off topic for this group.

>I'm planning to buy tablet PC (or netbook). My first candidate is
>ASUS Transformer Prime, but the problem is, that until now it is
>sold only with Android OS (it is promised, that it shall be sold
>with MS Windows 8 in the near future).

>As a teacher I don't need any massive computation, but I realy do
>need Mathematica running on that device. I would like to ask group
>members if they have any personal experiences with Mathematica on
>such devices (tablet PCs or netbooks running Windows or Linux (not
>MacOS)).

I don't believe Wolfram currently offers a version of
Mathematica that runs under either Android or iOS.

>The second question is for group members from Wolfram: Is Wolfram
>planning to sell also Android version of Mathematica in the future?

I've no idea. You would need to ask someone at Wolfram about
such plans.

>If not, would it be teorethicaly possible to run Mathematica on
>Windows 8 running on ARM processor platform?

In theory, yes, it should be possible. Whether it is practical
or profitable for Wolfram to do so is the real issue.

Šerých Jakub

Jan 4, 2012, 5:04:22 AM1/4/12

Dear Ralph,

I'm not sure, that you are true. The hardware power of contemporary tablets is pretty high (5 core processor runing at 1GHz, 1GB RAM, 32GB Flash hard drive, 1280x800 pretty powerfull graphic processor). The power of such tablet is fully comparable with mini notebooks on which Mathematica runs AFAIK without problems. The only problem is another architecture of processor (comparable netbooks run usualy Intel Atom or something similar but tablets usualy use some kind of ARM processor).

The solution with remote desktop should be theoreticaly usable, but I plan to use the tablet mainly when traveling, and in that situations the Internet connectivity is usualy very limited, sometimes pretty expensive and also massive conectivity needed for remote desktop applications tends to be very battery consuming.

So it completely looses the advantages of having Mathematica installed directly on the device.

But thanks for your tip

Jakub

P.S. Isn't it against the Mathematica license to run it in such remote manner?

Ralph Dratman

Jan 4, 2012, 5:08:27 AM1/4/12
Dear=C2 =C5 er=C3=BDch Jakub,

2012/1/3 =C5 er=C3=BDch Jakub <Ser...@panska.cz>:
> I hope, that my queestion is not too much off topic for this group.
>
> I'm planning to buy tablet PC (or netbook). My first candidate is ASUS Tr=
ansformer Prime, but the problem is, that until now it is sold only with An=
droid OS (it is promised, that it shall be sold with MS Windows 8 in the ne=
ar future).

> As a teacher I don't need any massive computation, but I realy do need Ma=
thematica running on that device. I would like to ask group members if they=
have any personal experiences with Mathematica on such devices (tablet PCs=
or netbooks running Windows or Linux (not MacOS)).

> The second question is for group members from Wolfram: Is Wolfram plannin=
g to sell also Android version of Mathematica in the future? If not, would =
it be teorethicaly possible to run Mathematica on Windows 8 running on ARM =

James Womack

Jan 5, 2012, 5:55:28 AM1/5/12
Hi Jakub,

I own an Asus Transformer tablet (with Android OS) and also a Samsung
N150 Plus Intel Atom netbook. I have not been able to find a way to run
Mathematica on the tablet yet and I'm not convinced that you would
currently be able to run Mathematica on an Arm-based tablet, like the
Transformer or other Android tablets, even with Windows 8 or Linux as
the OS. I think Mathematica would have to be recompiled specifically for
Arm and I am not aware of Wolfram having done this (yet).

I use Mathematica on my Intel Atom netbook on a regular basis. It works
well on the single-core 1.6 GHz system, with 2 GB RAM, running 64-bit
Lubuntu 11.10 (Ubuntu with LXDE as the desktop environment). I think
your best bet may be to pick up a touchscreen tablet PC with an x86 CPU
on which you could run Windows or Linux. In fact, I would suggest
something like the Dell Inspiron Duo, which is a netbook/tablet PC
hybrid with more than enough power to run Mathematica 8:

https://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-duo/pd.aspx?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

I am not sure how it operates in tablet mode and whether normal Windows
applications are available in this mode, though one would assume so.
Additionally, I believe the Dell Inspiron Duo is relatively compatible
with Ubuntu:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/59867/how-well-does-the-dell-inspiron-duo-work

Best regards,
James

On 03/01/12 10:24, Šerých Jakub wrote:
> I hope, that my queestion is not too much off topic for this group.
>
> I'm planning to buy tablet PC (or netbook). My first candidate is ASUS Transformer Prime, but the problem is, that until now it is sold only with Android OS (it is promised, that it shall be sold with MS Windows 8 in the near future).
>
> As a teacher I don't need any massive computation, but I realy do need Mathematica running on that device. I would like to ask group members if they have any personal experiences with Mathematica on such devices (tablet PCs or netbooks running Windows or Linux (not MacOS)).
>
> The second question is for group members from Wolfram: Is Wolfram planning to sell also Android version of Mathematica in the future? If not, would it be teorethicaly possible to run Mathematica on Windows 8 running on ARM processor platform?

Szabolcs Horvát

Jan 5, 2012, 5:55:59 AM1/5/12
I don't know what WRI is planning, but I think it's interesting to point
out that they seem to be committed to making the CDF player available on
tablets:

http://www.wolfram.com/cdf/adopting-cdf/supported-platforms.html

If I got it right, the CDF player must include at least some limited
version of the Mathematica kernel to be able to run the interactive
calculations.

--
Szabolcs Horvát
Mma QA site proposal: http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/37304

Andre Koppel

Jan 5, 2012, 6:00:36 AM1/5/12
Am 03.01.2012 11:24, schrieb Śerých Jakub:
> I hope, that my queestion is not too much off topic for this group.
>
> I'm planning to buy tablet PC (or netbook). My first candidate is ASUS Transformer Prime, but the problem is, that until now it is sold only with Android OS (it is promised, that it shall be sold with MS Windows 8 in the near future).
>
> As a teacher I don't need any massive computation, but I realy do need Mathematica running on that device. I would like to ask group members if they have any personal experiences with Mathematica on such devices (tablet PCs or netbooks running Windows or Linux (not MacOS)).
>
> The second question is for group members from Wolfram: Is Wolfram planning to sell also Android version of Mathematica in the future? If not, would it be teorethicaly possible to run Mathematica on Windows 8 running on ARM processor platform?
>
> Thanks for any responses in advance
>
> Jakub

Hi Śerých,
as far as I know Mathematica only runs on PC- and MAC-Architechture.
Even Android is based on LINUX (Mathematica runs on PC-Linux),
it is build on several different Microprocessor-Architectures. They
aren't supported by Mathematica. I think it wouldn't be a deal for
Wolfram to make a version that runs native on Android. There would be an
additional big problem on tablets: They did not have enough
power to run such a big application.
But a very good working alternative is using the Wolfram-Alpha-App (and
all the other wolfram-apps) on an android device.
These apps do only provide a user-interface for input and output, all
the computation is done on the wolfram-servers. This means
you do need a working internet-connection. But if you have one, its
quite a good alternative

Kind regards
Andre

Ralph Dratman

Jan 5, 2012, 6:02:39 AM1/5/12
You wrote,

"P.S. Isn't it against the Mathematica license to run it in such remote
manner?"

I think this use would be ok with them. It is still just one person using
it, specifically the licensed user, and that use is taking place on the
licensed computer. The fact that the sound and picture are moved to a
different part of my house is no different from my using lkeyboard, monitor
and mouse extension cords.

Bear in mind that under civil law, as I understand it, to bring a lawsuit
you have to show harm. In this case, the company has not been harmed. They
have not lost any sales or reputation.

Best regards

Ralph

nigel.a...@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2012, 5:17:10 AM6/21/12
It's not publicallyvavailable yet, but they are working on bringing Mathematica to ipads (and probably android).

I was at a physics conference in April and Wolfram had a booth setup. Stephen Wolfram was there and he talked briefly about the future of mathematica. He pulled out his ipad and had a version of mathematica running on it. He claimed it was the full version and could do anything the desktop version could.