Monitor status of SSH and SCP connections?

Misanthrope

Feb 3, 2006, 12:31:02 PM2/3/06
Is there a way to monitor who is connected via SSH and SCP using
OpenSSH on Fedora Core 3? I know I can use "who" to simply see who is
connected, but I want to know that they're connected via SSH. More
importantly, I'd like to be able to see what files are being
transferred using SCP and the status of those files (size, % complete,
etc.).

All my searching has turned up nothing, so I'm guessing there may be no
way to do this without additional programs installed. There doesn't
appear to be any switches that can be used with sshd, scp, etc. that
will display this information.

Any help would be appreciated.

Nico Kadel-Garcia

Feb 3, 2006, 12:50:39 PM2/3/06

"Misanthrope" <google...@mytrashmail.com> wrote in message

> Is there a way to monitor who is connected via SSH and SCP using
> OpenSSH on Fedora Core 3? I know I can use "who" to simply see who is
> connected, but I want to know that they're connected via SSH. More
> importantly, I'd like to be able to see what files are being
> transferred using SCP and the status of those files (size, % complete,
> etc.).

The successful SSH connections made are normally loged in /var/log/secure, I
believe. It should be simple to parse those logs to report active
connections. However, that logfile often contains sensitive information,
such as mistyped logins when someone accidentally puts their password in as
their login name, and should thus not be parsed and published without some
careful thought.

> All my searching has turned up nothing, so I'm guessing there may be no
> way to do this without additional programs installed. There doesn't
> appear to be any switches that can be used with sshd, scp, etc. that
> will display this information.

What I describe above would require an add-on monitor program.

mario.vandenberg

Feb 4, 2006, 5:31:49 AM2/4/06
Misanthrope schrieb:
Hello,

have a look at "logwatch". Somewhere under /etc is a config file that
needs a little editing: fill in your mail address and the level of
precision (0 - 10). You won't get the filenames but the users and kb's.

Greetings

Mario