Quark 8 crashing upon launching program...

Mikey

Nov 10, 2010, 11:13:51 PM11/10/10
I have a client using Quark 8 on a Mac running OS 10.5.8 (I believe!)
& Quark will not run!
It used to crash & burn when trying to open a doc - any doc, but after
trashing prefs (no help!) & re-installling program, now it crashes as
soon as the program is launched.
As much as I am trying, I can't get them to ditch Quark & go with
InDesign, so I am open for any suggestions!

MacAndy

Nov 11, 2010, 1:30:20 PM11/11/10
Hi Mikey,

Sounds like it could be an activation issue or even a font issue.

Check to ensure the person has activated the application properly or
look up activation issues for Mac OS X online and see what people may
have had to do. Sometimes deleting a file and reactivating works,
sometimes it's more involved.

Font-wise, and it could potentially be the same issue for InDesign,
ensure that the font utility they are using is up-to-date for the
version of OS they're using and that all Mac OS X fonts that need to be
installed are definitely installed, nothing removed from the System
Library Fonts folder unless they know what they removed.

Hope this helps!

MacAndy

In article
<d03f5e10-de1d-4eda...@32g2000yqz.googlegroups.com>,

Derek Tree

Nov 11, 2010, 4:44:17 PM11/11/10
That sounds like excellent advice to me.

Notwithstanding folks personal preferences, there is nothing inherently
unstable in Quirkdepress 8 that should make it crash more or less than
any other application.

Indeed, the fact that it IS crashing on startup suggests that there is
something intrinsically wrong with the installation, fonts and/or OS.

We use Quirkdepress 8 on three seats and have had no issues like this
with it. We've had OTHER issues...but that's another story...

I hope your client gets it sorted.
Throwing Xpress away in favour of In Design smacks a little of throwing
out the baby AND the bath water, i.e. a bit OTT!!

In message <111120101430209897%notmy...@notmydomain.com>, MacAndy
<notmy...@notmydomain.com> writes

--
Derek Tree

Eric Gill

Nov 14, 2010, 10:39:17 PM11/14/10
Derek Tree <derek...@spamnull.co.uk> wrote in news:hYtSgDFxOG3MFwW3
@noonehere.com:

> That sounds like excellent advice to me.
>
> Notwithstanding folks personal preferences, there is nothing inherently
> unstable in Quirkdepress 8 that should make it crash more or less than
> any other application.

I dunno, Del. QXP's font handling was notoriously fragile with buggy
typefaces. It's possible they've changed that since I stopped using it, of
course.

<snip>

> I hope your client gets it sorted.
> Throwing Xpress away in favour of In Design smacks a little of throwing
> out the baby AND the bath water, i.e. a bit OTT!!

Heh. I'm sure a lot of people, as horrible as it sounds, would love to
trade in their kid for the well-behaved child they were SO SURE their
genetics would produce...

(Even if they would never admit it.)

olafgr...@gmail.com

Dec 17, 2013, 11:47:35 AM12/17/13
deleting preferences isn't enough. you need to delete all folders containing the word Quark in the Library/Application Support and /Users/Application Support

then reinstall.