ntpq timed out

Chad

Sep 27, 2001, 12:05:07 AM9/27/01
I am trying to setup ntpd (4.0.99k) but cannot query the service using
ntpq. I think it is something simple, but have not been able to solve
the problem using the documentation. When I try to list the peers
with ntpq I get:
ntpq> pee
127.0.0.1: timed out, nothing received
***Request timed out

My configuration file is:

server ntp-1.cso.uiuc.edu
server ntp-2.cso.uiuc.edu
server ntp-0.cso.uiuc.edu
driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
authenticate no
restrict default ignore

I can set my time with ntpdate ntp-1.cso.uiuc.edu so I know I can
contact the server. I do not see any errors in the log file. Why
can't I run any ntpq commands? It makes it difficult to troubleshoot.

Ulrich Windl

Sep 27, 2001, 2:09:50 AM9/27/01
Have you tried removing the "restrict" first?

Ulrich

David Schwartz

Sep 27, 2001, 2:14:59 AM9/27/01
Chad wrote:

> When I try to list the peers
> with ntpq I get:
> ntpq> pee
> 127.0.0.1: timed out, nothing received
> ***Request timed out

> restrict default ignore

It is ignoring you, just like you asked it to.

DS

Chad

Sep 28, 2001, 1:52:57 AM9/28/01
Thanks, I knew it was something simple. It seems so obvious now. I
thought that line would prevent clients from connecting to me as a
server. I did not know that meant the local host too. Now I know.
Thanks again.