refresh: could not set file modification time

Mark_A...@isc.org

Apr 29, 2003, 8:08:49 PM4/29/03

> I have a linux box with redhat 7.3 with bind 9.2 and it works great!
>
> But I have one little problem. I have 2 zone's .. one that is called
> home.com (10.0.1.x) and a sub domain called sub.home.com (10.0.2.x).
> In the logfile I get this message....
>
> "zone sub.home.com/IN: refresh: could not set file modification time
> of 'sub.home.com': permission denied
> Apr 30 00:47:01 sub named[22252]: zone 2.0.10.in-addr.arpa/IN:
> refresh: could not set file modification time of
> '2.0.10.in-addr.arpa.zone': permission denied"
>
> Do anyone have any idea what to do?

Fix the file permissions so that the user named is running as
has permission to change the modification times.

Note 1. under linux named gives ups roots ability to override
file permissions.

Note 2. check the directory permissions as well as you obviously
have changed the way named is started from when the cache files
were created. Named needs to be able to write to all directories
containing slave/stub cache files

> I think I have tried everything now but I give up...please help!!
>
> //Stoffe

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742 INTERNET: Mark.A...@isc.org

SWEChris

Apr 30, 2003, 4:08:05 AM4/30/03
Mark_A...@isc.org wrote in message news:<b8n4eh$24a3$1...@sf1.isc.org>...

> > I have a linux box with redhat 7.3 with bind 9.2 and it works great!
> >
> > But I have one little problem. I have 2 zone's .. one that is called
> > home.com (10.0.1.x) and a sub domain called sub.home.com (10.0.2.x).
> > In the logfile I get this message....
> >
> > "zone sub.home.com/IN: refresh: could not set file modification time
> > of 'sub.home.com': permission denied
> > Apr 30 00:47:01 sub named[22252]: zone 2.0.10.in-addr.arpa/IN:
> > refresh: could not set file modification time of
> > '2.0.10.in-addr.arpa.zone': permission denied"
> >
> > Do anyone have any idea what to do?
>
> Fix the file permissions so that the user named is running as
> has permission to change the modification times.
>
> Note 1. under linux named gives ups roots ability to override
> file permissions.
>
> Note 2. check the directory permissions as well as you obviously
> have changed the way named is started from when the cache files
> were created. Named needs to be able to write to all directories
> containing slave/stub cache files
>
> > I think I have tried everything now but I give up...please help!!
> >
> > //Stoffe

Hi,

First, I must say, thanx for a quick answer!

I checked the filepermissons and it was not that:(...but then I found
the problem. In my named.config I had set the subdomain to slave
without having a master dns..stupid..:) When a changed it to master
the problem disapear. Hopefully it will help somebody else..

//Stoffe