Bind9 logging options

Techi

May 17, 2010, 6:38:58 AM5/17/10
to bind-...@lists.isc.org
Hallo,
I have a problem in my recursive DNS servers (Bind 9, on RHEL 5). Intalled
package on my system is the latest bind-9.3.6-4.P1.el5_4.2 from Red Hat. My
problem is that sometimes, queries are failed with timeouts and that the one
of my 2 DNS servers (the one set as primaryin my users) has 3 time more failed
queries than the secondary, while the succesful queries are almost the same. .
I am almost sure that the problem is network related (hardware or software),
but I need a proof for that. Is there any way to log the timed-out queries in
a log file?

Thank you
Techi

Todd Snyder

May 17, 2010, 9:09:46 AM5/17/10
to te...@tellas.gr, bind-...@lists.isc.org
Are the timed out queries recursive or authoritative?

I'd suggest tcpdump running on both the BIND servers and the client, so
you can match send/receive and show missed packets directly.

Cheers,

Todd.

Thank you
Techi

Techi

May 18, 2010, 2:13:01 AM5/18/10
to bind-...@lists.isc.org
The DNS Servers are authoritive. I have more than 100 users for them, and the
number of queries performed per minute is very high due to the nature of our
organization. Moreover, I do not have a specific time window in which the
timeouts occur, so, it is impossible to run it 24/7! From your answer I
conclude that there is no such option, correct?

Matus UHLAR - fantomas

May 18, 2010, 3:58:53 AM5/18/10
to bind-...@lists.isc.org
On 17.05.10 13:38, Techi wrote:
> I have a problem in my recursive DNS servers (Bind 9, on RHEL 5). Intalled
> package on my system is the latest bind-9.3.6-4.P1.el5_4.2 from Red Hat. My
> problem is that sometimes, queries are failed with timeouts and that the one
> of my 2 DNS servers (the one set as primaryin my users) has 3 time more failed
> queries than the secondary, while the succesful queries are almost the same. .
> I am almost sure that the problem is network related (hardware or software),
> but I need a proof for that. Is there any way to log the timed-out queries in
> a log file?

and there is nothing in the bind log files?

Due to unexpected conditions Windows 2000 will be released
in first quarter of year 1901

Techi

May 18, 2010, 5:04:27 AM5/18/10
to bind-...@lists.isc.org
No! Log files are indicating any issue! The only indication I have about the
problem, is the lack if queries in the log files. No timeouts, no failures. I
even tried to query a fake domain. The result was a normal record (with A+).
I did not find any error!
So, how on earth do I log them?

sth...@nethelp.no

May 18, 2010, 5:17:11 AM5/18/10
to te...@tellas.gr, bind-...@lists.isc.org
> No! Log files are indicating any issue! The only indication I have about the
> problem, is the lack if queries in the log files. No timeouts, no failures. I
> even tried to query a fake domain. The result was a normal record (with A+).
> I did not find any error!
> So, how on earth do I log them?

Use a packet sniffer (e.g. tcpdump, wireshark) on your DNS servers to
capture the DNS traffic.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sth...@nethelp.no

Tomasz Dereszynski

May 18, 2010, 5:27:42 AM5/18/10
to sth...@nethelp.no, bind-...@lists.isc.org
Quoting sth...@nethelp.no:

>> No! Log files are indicating any issue! The only indication I have about the
>> problem, is the lack if queries in the log files. No timeouts, no
>> failures. I
>> even tried to query a fake domain. The result was a normal record (with A+).
>> I did not find any error!
>> So, how on earth do I log them?
>
> Use a packet sniffer (e.g. tcpdump, wireshark) on your DNS servers to
> capture the DNS traffic.

if you set it to capture only 53 port and to save files up to
reasonable size you can leave it running for 24h without a problem -
wouldnt recommend doing that without specifying port/service.

bEsT rEgArDs | "Confidence is what you have before you
tomasz dereszynski | understand the problem." -- Woody Allen

Spes confisa Deo | "In theory, theory and practice are much
numquam confusa recedit | the same. In practice they are very
| different." -- Albert Einstein

Todd Snyder

May 18, 2010, 9:24:40 AM5/18/10
to te...@tellas.gr, bind-...@lists.isc.org

>The DNS Servers are authoritive. I have more than 100 users for them,
and the
>number of queries performed per minute is very high due to the nature
of our
>organization. Moreover, I do not have a specific time window in which
the
>timeouts occur, so, it is impossible to run it 24/7! From your answer I

>conclude that there is no such option, correct?

Well, it depends on the reason for the timeouts. If the packet is
getting lost along the way due to network issues, it would never hit the
server, and you wouldn't have any logs of it.

You could use filters on tcpdump (tcpdump -tt host x.y.z.a && port
53)and setup a script on a remote host to send a stream of queries. You
don't necessarily have to capture all traffic to troubleshoot the
problem. Make sure your servers are time sync'd properly so you can
correlate the logs.

Otherwise, if the issue is happening after the packet reaches the
server, then I'd bump up the debug level and turn on a bunch of logging
and make sure ntp is working fine and start watching logs while
generating a bunch of traffic from a test box.

Cheers,

Todd.