DICOM modality worklist / broker / HIS/RIS / HL7 question.

Joel Feldman

Jan 22, 2003, 9:02:58 AM1/22/03
Hello,

If I have a DICOM modality/device and I want to install it in a
hospital environment, what issues do I need to be aware of when trying
to integrate to the hospitals patient worklist?
I believe most hospitals store the patient worklist in a HIS/RIS. Is
the HIS/RIS always HL7 protocol? I know there exists a Mitra broker,
which converts HL7 to DICOM, therefore allowing DICOM devices to
obtain a patient worklist via modality worklist query, but what if the
hospital does not have a broker? Since my device currently only
supports DICOM, would I have to support the HL7 protocol as well. Are
there any HL7 toolkits available? Also, are there PACS systems
available now that act as a broker as well as image storage?
Furthermore, can anyone give me a degree of difficulty on how hard it
is to implement the DICOM modality worklist query. Also, can anyone
give me an estimate on how long it would take to add HL7 to my device
to retrieve HIS/RIS information via HL7?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Joel Feldman

Chandru Nagrani

Jan 22, 2003, 3:46:43 PM1/22/03
feldma...@yahoo.com (Joel Feldman) wrote in message news:<b66c507b.03012...@posting.google.com>...

send me an email and I can send you a pacs broker that uses a simple
text file with an editor the system does not require hl7 just populate
the text file with your his/ris orders and the scu is ready to role.

cha...@net-ris.com

Crane in Sky

Jan 29, 2003, 3:24:38 AM1/29/03
Would you pls send me one?
On 22 Jan 2003 12:46:43 -0800, cha...@net-ris.com (Chandru Nagrani)

Pascal

Jan 30, 2003, 7:39:04 AM1/30/03
feldma...@yahoo.com (Joel Feldman) wrote in message news:<b66c507b.03012...@posting.google.com>...
> Hello,
>
> If I have a DICOM modality/device and I want to install it in a
> hospital environment, what issues do I need to be aware of when trying
> to integrate to the hospitals patient worklist?
> I believe most hospitals store the patient worklist in a HIS/RIS. Is
> the HIS/RIS always HL7 protocol? I know there exists a Mitra broker,
> which converts HL7 to DICOM, therefore allowing DICOM devices to
> obtain a patient worklist via modality worklist query, but what if the
> hospital does not have a broker? Since my device currently only
> supports DICOM, would I have to support the HL7 protocol as well. Are
> there any HL7 toolkits available? Also, are there PACS systems
> available now that act as a broker as well as image storage?
> Furthermore, can anyone give me a degree of difficulty on how hard it
> is to implement the DICOM modality worklist query. Also, can anyone

It all depends on which basis you rely to do it. If you start from
scratch you have to deal with low level networking programming
(sockets) an develop all
necessary protocol layer so that your application can negociate an
association and send messages.
I developed recently a Modality worklist SCU service with Merge COM3
tool kit and it was not too difficult once I got a good understanding
of the standard (Annex K part 4 of the standard).

Basically you need to parse C FIND responses corresponding to the
attributes you have queried in your C FIND request (matching keys)
such as patient name, schedule date and hours, procedure description,
etc which values are returned to the modality (return keys).

This specific part as a first implementation of this service took me a
couple months all included (design, test and integration). Depending
on the level of abtraction you want, on programming style and your
experience with both DICOM and the sw modality this could be shorter
or longer.

jes...@gmail.com

Aug 26, 2014, 11:13:15 AM8/26/14
hey friend how are you, hope fine.

Can you send me that pacs broker too?
jes...@gmail.com

thanks advance

theonlyl...@gmail.com

Feb 24, 2015, 10:18:28 PM2/24/15

irs.pasto...@gmail.com

May 14, 2015, 10:01:00 AM5/14/15
me too

Hammad Moeen

Jun 7, 2015, 10:10:41 AM6/7/15
hey friend how are you, hope fine.

Can you send me that pacs broker too?
hammad...@gmail.com

thanks advance

celo.f...@gmail.com

Jul 26, 2016, 12:41:47 PM7/26/16
Hi, can you send me the broker? Thanks.

roniza

Jul 29, 2016, 3:14:23 AM7/29/16
Check also our HL7Kit with similar functionality - Worklist entries generated using HL7 order messages and served by DICOM Modality Worklist.

xra...@gmail.com

Jun 28, 2018, 10:41:38 PM6/28/18
Will this work when you have EHR(E clinicals) with HL7 and DICOM PACS. I am being told I have to purchase a DICOM BROKER. Trying to utilize our MODALITY WORKLIST. Any input would be appreciated..Thank you in advance CeCe