IPM vs PPM

Jan Groshan

Sep 12, 2007, 10:32:35 AM9/12/07
I am looking for a desktop scanner.....something like the Visioneer Documate
152 or a Fujitsu ScanSnap.....but can't figure out what the difference is
between Images Per Minute and Pages Per Minute. Can someone explain the
difference to me?

Jean

Sep 13, 2007, 5:14:05 AM9/13/07

It has been explained to me that If images per minute is double the
pages per minute then it is a true duplex scanner with 2 cameras
positioned to catch the front and back image as the pages pass
through. If it is not double it means the scanner (or you) has to flip
the page to get the back side. I love my ScanSnap I just wish it were
TWAIN.

Jan Groshan

Sep 13, 2007, 11:16:15 AM9/13/07
So, basically, you're saying I should interpret the "specifications" (below)
to read that the Visioneer will scan 15 PAGES per minute in multiple formats
while the Fujitsu will scan 18 PAGES per minute in .pdf format only? Since
both scanners are similar and size and price, I'll have to decide if the 3
pages per minute and multi-format option makes a difference.

Visioneer Documate 152 : Scan Speed: 15 ppm Monochrome 200 dpi Simplex, 30
ipm Monochrome 200 dpi Full-duplex, 15 ppm Color 150 dpi Simplex, 30 ipm
Color 150 dpi Full-duplex

Fujitsu ScanSnap S510 : Fast monochrome and color scan rates of up to 18
pages per minute (ppm) / 36 images per minute (IPM)

"Jean" <jno...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Jean

Sep 14, 2007, 2:48:44 PM9/14/07

It doesn't look like you are getting apples and apples to compare. The
Documate provides you with the DPI they are using, which is really low
quality. Fujitsu is not telling you the DPI they are using. These
little scanners can be tempermental, my experience has been to go with
simple, reliable, and not have to mess with driver issues or flaky
hardware. Google around for feedback from owners.