Attn: Bob Headrick

Monica

May 26, 2009, 1:29:16 PM5/26/09
Bob, I was hoping you would weigh in on a HP Officejet 8500 duplexing
question. I remember you from WAY back, on this printing forum, always
having such good advice for my various Deskjets printing needs. I asked
this question on the HP user support forum but only got one answer. I'd
like your opinion please :)
Monica

Is it possible to have my INcoming faxes print on both sides of the paper
(duplex printing)? My duplexer is installed. Duplex printing works when
printing a doc via the computer when I set it up to do so, but, when I get
multiple page faxes (they print automatically when received) I'd like for
them to print on front and back. They don't and I don't know how to set it
up to do so. Surely it's possible. This machine brags about being "green"
so it seems like a two page incoming fax could print front and back on one
piece of paper. Again, the duplexing works, but just not in fax mode.
Thanks,
Monica

Bob Headrick

May 26, 2009, 4:11:57 PM5/26/09
"Monica" <re...@iluvlabs.com> wrote in message

> Bob, I was hoping you would weigh in on a HP Officejet 8500 duplexing
> question. I remember you from WAY back, on this printing forum, always
> having such good advice for my various Deskjets printing needs. I asked
> this question on the HP user support forum but only got one answer. I'd
> like your opinion please :)

I spend more time in the HP user forum these days, the signal to noise
ration there is much better. I saw your question over there but did not
have any answer.

> Is it possible to have my Incoming faxes print on both sides of the paper

> (duplex printing)? My duplexer is installed. Duplex printing works when
> printing a doc via the computer when I set it up to do so, but, when I get
> multiple page faxes (they print automatically when received) I'd like for
> them to print on front and back. They don't and I don't know how to set it
> up to do so. Surely it's possible. This machine brags about being "green"
> so it seems like a two page incoming fax could print front and back on one
> piece of paper. Again, the duplexing works, but just not in fax mode.

I do not know that it is possible. Properly printing the back side in
duplex mode requires storing the entire page and then printing it upside
down (from the bottom first) to make the page come out properly. This
data path may not be available in the printer hardware. It is normally
done by the driver on the PC when printing and mechanically by scanning
the back side from bottom to top when copying.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Monica

May 26, 2009, 5:53:50 PM5/26/09
Thanks for answering Bob. I feel confident now that I can stop trying to
get this to work <g> since you've explained it to me but it would sure be
nice if the printer was a little more "green" and I could save the paper :)
Monica

"Bob Headrick" <bo...@proaxis.com> wrote in message

GSalisbury

May 27, 2009, 10:01:59 AM5/27/09

> Thanks for answering Bob. I feel confident now that I can stop trying to
> get this to work <g> since you've explained it to me but it would sure be
> nice if the printer was a little more "green" and I could save the paper
> :)
> Monica

Does your "fax" have Receive Software? (my Brother AIO does.)
If yes have you tried letting it capture faxes and printing from the capture
folder as a print task (instead of having the machine do an immediate fax
print).
Might be different result plus you could select what to print etc...
Just a thought.

--
Geo. Salisbury
Long Valley, NJ

Bob Headrick

May 27, 2009, 2:03:18 PM5/27/09
"Monica" <re...@iluvlabs.com> wrote in message

> Thanks for answering Bob. I feel confident now that I can stop trying to
> get this to work <g> since you've explained it to me but it would sure be
> nice if the printer was a little more "green" and I could save the paper :)

I was in an office supply store yesterday and took a look at the various
Officejet 8500 models. At least on some of the models it looked like
there was an option to send incoming faxes to a folder on a computer on
the network. It may be possible to have the 8500 store faxes to your
computer where they could be later reviewed and printed double-sided.

Monica

May 27, 2009, 6:19:54 PM5/27/09
Sounds like Bob and you are saying the same thing. Yes, my model does save
incoming faxes to a designated folder. It even has a pop up notice that an
incoming fax has been saved to such-in-such folder. The AiO is set to "auto
answer" for faxes. It "auto" prints as well. I'll look in the manual to
see if there is a way to keep them from automatically printing...auto
printing would be optimal if it supported duplex printing in fax mode).
Thanks guys.
Monica

"GSalisbury" <invalid....@comcast.net.invalid> wrote in message

Mary

May 27, 2009, 7:01:29 PM5/27/09
Recently I bought an HP Photosmart C4345 all-in-one printer which scans,
copies prints and faxes. It uses one tri color and one black cartridge
(numbers 74 and 75). I have been using a Canon IP4000 for the past 3 years
which is not printing as well as it used to but could be that it needs a new
printhead. The Canon takes 4 color and 2 black cartridges. I've always used
compatible ink cartridges. The IP400 is a good printer, but I saw the HP
C4345 at a very good price, and thought I would get a 4 in 1 printer, though
I don't need a scanner.

Because the C4345 used one tri color and one black cartridge, will it use
less ink in general than the Canon which uses 6 cartridges? Also will the
C4345 use more ink because of having a scanner,printer, copier and faxer (I
won't be using a fax much, nor a copier). Also, the C4345 has a higher
resolution than the Canon (I'm not sure just how much higher) but wouldn't
that mean the C4345 would use more ink? I haven't taken it out of the box
yet, but I hope the C4345 is a good printer. Do you know much about that
model? As far as I know, its fairly new (at least in Canada). HP have come
out with a lot of models in the last year which all seem very similar.

Just wondering, can HP cartridges be refilled? They don't have any
compatibles as far as I know. I would appreciate any comments you might
have.

Mary

Burt

May 27, 2009, 8:00:08 PM5/27/09

"Mary" <nos...@invalid.swl> wrote in message
Mary - I remember answering some of your questions regarding the ip4000 a
few years ago when you were planning to buy it. It uses four dye-based
inks, Magenta, Cyan, Yellow, and Black, and a pigment-based black large
cartridge for text. Total of five cartridges. I also recall that you were
not interested in refilling but were using Staples bci-6 and bci-3ebk carts.
Those are the easiest carts to refill if that is what you now want to do.
Go to http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/ and describe the printer problem
you are having. Someone there might be able to tell you how to clean the
printhead if that is the problem. Sometimes that is all it will take. You
will have to accurately describe the problem you are having. Also there can
be problems with aftermarket cartridges in that they sometimes don't feed
the ink as efficiently and give the appearance of a clogged printhead
nozzle. Continued use of a faulty cartridge can ultimately burn out a
heating element in the printhead and ruin it. if all you need is a new
printhead and the printer is OK you will probably get more years of service
out of the ip4000 printer. I am using an i960 Canon printer that is about
six years old. I've changed the printhead once and it still works perfectly
and produces excellent prints. Refilling the carts costs a bit more than $1
US and the prints are excellent. I've given it a lot of heavy use and it is
still worth it even if I have to buy another printhead for it.

Also, Mary - don't pay any attention to our resident troll, Measekite, who
always follows my posts with his anti aftermarket cart and ink diatribe.

Mary

May 27, 2009, 9:00:06 PM5/27/09
"Burt" <nos...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

I remember you Burt. Yes, I was using Staples compatible carts which worked
fine, then I changed to another compatible cartridge company in the US who
were fine for a while, and around this time I was having trouble what I
thought was the printhead, and you gave me detailed instructions how to
clean it, which I did but it didn't make much difference, then Chris on this
group sent me one that was used but still in good conditiion.He didn't need
it any more, and I've been using it for a while now and it was working ok.
Then the company in the US I had been using for compatibles changed their
distributor and I started to have some problems with some ink carts printing
streaks, which I thought might be the printhead, but when I put in a new
cart of the same color, there were no streaks and it was ok again. Even if I
get this problem solved, I dont know how long the printhead will last since
it was already used, but I was glad to get it and its lasted quite a while.

I am still not interested in refilling but just wanted to know if HP carts
can be refilled in case I find out with this new printer that it runs out of
ink a lot more often than the Canon, but I am fed up with all the carts the
Canon uses though the company I bought them from was very reasonable priced.
At least with a two cart system its only two carts you need to worry about
instead of 5, and the total of the 5 was a lot higher than the HP two carts.
I was just curious about refilling 2 carts. Can you refill a tri color cart?

> Those are the easiest carts to refill if that is what you now want to do.
> Go to http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/ and describe the printer problem
> you are having. Someone there might be able to tell you how to clean the
> printhead if that is the problem. Sometimes that is all it will take.

You gave me great instructiions around a year ago when I was having trouble
with my old printhead. So I already know and have tried it recently but
didn't seem to make much difference. I think its the ink that could be the
problem. Just a guess.

>You
> will have to accurately describe the problem you are having. Also there
can
> be problems with aftermarket cartridges in that they sometimes don't feed
> the ink as efficiently and give the appearance of a clogged printhead
> nozzle.

It could be that. The old batches I got from the company I was using did not
cause clogs.

Continued use of a faulty cartridge can ultimately burn out a
> heating element in the printhead and ruin it. if all you need is a new
> printhead and the printer is OK you will probably get more years of
service
> out of the ip4000 printer. I am using an i960 Canon printer that is about
> six years old. I've changed the printhead once and it still works
perfectly
> and produces excellent prints. Refilling the carts costs a bit more than
$1
> US and the prints are excellent. I've given it a lot of heavy use and it
is
> still worth it even if I have to buy another printhead for it.

Well, I don't feel like buying a new printhead at the moment. I intend to
keep the IP400, and maybe will fix it up but I think I would rather have 2
carts, not 5. The colors often go around the same time and I find 5 carts is
a nuisance. But maybe two carts, one tri color and one back is just as bad
as far as getting ink frequently. But maybe I could refill 2 carts if I had
to, but not 5 carts. But my post was really to ask Bob Headrick about the HP
model I bought and ask his opinion of that model.

> Also, Mary - don't pay any attention to our resident troll, Measekite, who
> always follows my posts with his anti aftermarket cart and ink diatribe.

I remember him from before. I don't listen to him. He's like a broken record
saying the same things over and over. You would think he would be tired of
saying the same things and start on some new rants.

Mary

IntergalacticExpandingPanda

May 27, 2009, 10:11:34 PM5/27/09
On May 27, 4:01 pm, "Mary" <nos...@invalid.swl> wrote:
> Recently I bought an HP Photosmart C4345 all-in-one printer which scans,
> copies prints and faxes. It uses one tri color and one black cartridge
> (numbers 74 and 75). I have been using a Canon IP4000 for the past 3 years
> which is not printing as well as it used to but could be that it needs a new
> printhead.

We've covered this before. You're printhead is kauput, why not buy a
new printhead? The cost of ink is rather trivial in contrast to the
cost of the printer or print head. While this is an older model canon
still has printers that are comparable to it but the new printers take
cartridges with chips.

The printhead life is limited to about 10 cartridge changes according
to the numbers in the manual, reality is 15-20 or more. Given similar
use, that printer is going to cost an extra $80 CAD or so every 3
years, or think about $1.60 CAD hidden charge per cartridge change.

> Because the C4345 used one tri color and one black cartridge, will it use
> less ink in general than the Canon which uses 6 cartridges?

http://h10060.www1.hp.com/pageyield/us/en/PSC4340/index.html

Your canon you can expect about 500p (25ml)big black, and about 280
(13ml) pages color.

HP claims 750pages black, 510p color for their 74xl and 75xl
cartridges. Presuming OEM the black is 4.6c/page vs your canon at
2.5c/page. I'm not sure on prices up north, but if you buy OEM
cartridges, black costs more.

The actual amount of ink used is going to be less, as in the HP can
print more pages with 15ml of ink than the canon can with 25ml of
ink.

I'm sure you could refill the #74/75, but AFAIK there is no meter that
tells you the cartridge is empty, so if you print without ink you're
likely to screwup your cartridge's print head. Not such a big deal
since you can buy #74/75 cheaply enough.

Ease of refilling, you can check out google cache's page from
inksupply.com

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:bVCsvKh2p6QJ:www.inksupply.com/hp_74_75_refill_instructions.cfm+hp+74xl+refill+instructions&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

There is also the cartridge priming tool for the #74/75
http://www.inksupply.com/partnumber.cfm?action=search&search_part_number=MIS-PRIME2

It's hard to be accurate since I don't know this printer, but a rule
of thumb is these budget priced printers are going to be like spiffy
printers from 3 years ago. As such the ip4000 might be on par with
psc4300.

I'm not seeing a source for refilled #74/75 tanks.

But if you want to continue using Staples cartridges, buying a print
head is really the way to go. If you want to bulk fill your
cartridges, the ip4000 is easier and it'll blink at you when the
cartridge is empty.

measekite

May 27, 2009, 11:25:17 PM5/27/09
On Wed, 27 May 2009 19:01:29 -0400, Mary wrote:

> Recently I bought an HP Photosmart C4345 all-in-one printer which scans,
> copies prints and faxes. It uses one tri color and one black cartridge
> (numbers 74 and 75). I have been using a Canon IP4000 for the past 3 years
> which is not printing as well as it used to but could be that it needs a ne

> printhead. The Canon takes 4 color and 2 black cartridges. I've always used
> compatible ink cartridges. The IP400 is a good printer, but I saw the HP

My IP4000 is printing just as good as when I bought but of course I used
the ink Canon recommends and get the results that Canon says I should get.

Now you will use inferior ink in an inferior printer. But that is ok
since I own stock in HP also.

> C4345 at a very good price, and thought I would get a 4 in 1 printer,
> though I don't need a scanner.
>
> Because the C4345 used one tri color and one black cartridge, will it
> use less ink in general than the Canon which uses 6 cartridges? Also

That is old technology and when one color runs out you throw the remainder
away. Makes a lot of sense huh?

> will the C4345 use more ink because of
having a scanner,printer, copier
> and faxer (I won't be using a fax much, nor a copier). Also, the C4345
> has a higher resolution than the Canon (I'm not sure just how much
> higher) but wouldn't that mean the C4345 would use more ink? I haven't
> taken it out of the box yet, but I hope the C4345 is a good printer. Do
> you know much about that model? As far as I know, its fairly new (at
> least in Canada). HP have come out with a lot of models in the last year
> which all seem very similar.
>
> Just wondering, can HP cartridges be refilled? They don't have any

I am sure you can put the same crap in them that you can in any other
printer you would like to ruin and get results that the mfg does not
promise.

measekite

May 27, 2009, 11:30:26 PM5/27/09

Just like I said and have been saying. You never know what you get from
the junk ink retailers because they will not tell you. They also will not
tell you when they change their supplier either so when they buy even more
crap from who knows where and will not tell you you never know what you
are using and then your printhead goes bad.

At least when you use recommended ink you know what you are getting even
though it costs more but you also get much better results especially if
you print photos.

measekite

May 27, 2009, 11:32:40 PM5/27/09
On Wed, 27 May 2009 19:11:34 -0700, IntergalacticExpandingPanda wrote:

> On May 27, 4:01 pm, "Mary" <nos...@invalid.swl> wrote:
>> Recently I bought an HP Photosmart C4345 all-in-one printer which scans,
>> copies prints and faxes. It uses one tri color and one black cartridge
>> (numbers 74 and 75). I have been using a Canon IP4000 for the past 3 years
>> which is not printing as well as it used to but could be that it needs a new
>> printhead.
>
> We've covered this before. You're printhead is kauput, why not buy a
> new printhead? The cost of ink is rather trivial in contrast to the
> cost of the printer or print head. While this is an older model canon
> still has printers that are comparable to it but the new printers take
> cartridges with chips.

But the newer ink formulations should produce better photos and the risk
of fading is less. The cost of a new printhead and a new set of ink may
be more than getting a new printer with the latest technology.

IntergalacticExpandingPanda

May 28, 2009, 4:16:56 AM5/28/09
On May 27, 8:30 pm, measekite <inkysti...@oem.com> wrote:

> Just like I said and have been saying.  You never know what you get from
> the junk ink retailers because they will not tell you.  They also will not
> tell you when they change their supplier either so when they buy even more
> crap from who knows where and will not tell you you never know what you
> are using and then your printhead goes bad.

http://www.hp.com/sbso/product/supplies/supplies_reliability_ink.pdf

According to this Quality Logic report, Staples at the time was
reselling Dataproducts cartridges. The bci-3eBK has the Dataproducts
ID of DPCBCI3BK

http://www.printgrc.com/detail.asp?b=D&c=5&offset=10&col=18&ID=62

Staples could have changed. One can often checkout the barcode and
lookup the first few digits to see who manufactured it.

I know nothing about this brand other than it exists.

TJ

May 28, 2009, 9:28:40 AM5/28/09
Hello, Mary.

I can't help much with your decision, because I have never used either
of the printers you mention. However, I can give you some information on
HP ink carts that's based on the ones I do use.

The HP carts your printer uses have the printhead in the cart. While
this means you get a fresh printhead every time you buy a new cart, it
also means that "compatible" carts can't be made without violating HP
patents. What you will find are "remanufactured" carts. Supposedly,
these are used carts that have been cleaned, refilled, and checked out
by the remanufacturer. The truth of the matter is that some are more
meticulous at the process than others, and all many do is simply refill
them. I used remanufactured carts for several years, and I had a lot of
trouble sometimes getting a good tricolor cart. The black cart seems
much easier to get right.

I used a different tactic with the cart I'm using now. I bought it on
Ebay. (Don't cringe like that! If you're careful and learn what you're
doing, you won't have problems.) I searched for "genuine HP 57" (My
printer uses #56 and #57 carts) and bought a slightly expired cart for
about half the cost of retail. It's been working fine, unlike the last
half-dozen remanufactured carts I bought.

I also refill my carts. I've had great luck with refilling the black
cart, being able to refill several of them over two dozen times each.
I've had less luck with the remanufactured tricolors, but I once had an
original that I also refilled over two dozen times. I haven't had the
present cart long enough to refill it yet, so I don't know if that one
tricolor was a freak or not. Using Google to find refilling
instructions, the process looks the same for your carts as for mine.
It's easy, with just a bit of practice. The best way to prevent clogs is
to refill BEFORE you run dry of one color or another. If you want to go
that route, I would recommend buying an Inktec refill kit, which will
come with all you need to refill a few times. Thereafter, all you would
need is more ink, rather than a whole new kit.

I hope this was helpful, and good luck!

TJ

Frank

May 28, 2009, 10:09:00 AM5/28/09
measher-shit-head, the oem drinking austrian fascist atheist bigoted
asshole wrote:

STFU asshole...and learn how to properly post you moron!

Frank

May 28, 2009, 10:10:40 AM5/28/09
measher-shit-head, the POS oem ink drinking loser wrote:

STFU!

measekite

May 28, 2009, 10:16:50 AM5/28/09
On Thu, 28 May 2009 01:16:56 -0700, IntergalacticExpandingPanda wrote:

> On May 27, 8:30 pm, measekite <inkysti...@oem.com> wrote:
>
>> Just like I said and have been saying.  You never know what you get from
>> the junk ink retailers because they will not tell you.  They also will not
>> tell you when they change their supplier either so when they buy even more
>> crap from who knows where and will not tell you you never know what you
>> are using and then your printhead goes bad.
>
> http://www.hp.com/sbso/product/supplies/supplies_reliability_ink.pdf
>
> According to this Quality Logic report, Staples at the time was
> reselling Dataproducts cartridges. The bci-3eBK has the Dataproducts
> ID of DPCBCI3BK

In general, the dataproducts stuff I have used in the past have not been
high quality products.

measekite

May 28, 2009, 10:23:56 AM5/28/09

TRANSLATION:

Most are crap and you never know what you get. There is also the risk of
leakage. And you never know how much the printhead is used. Plus TJ
usually prints throw away flyers where quality matters little.

> I also refill my carts. I've had great luck with refilling the black
> cart, being able to refill several of them over two dozen times each.
> I've had less luck with the remanufactured tricolors, but I once had an
> original that I also refilled over two dozen times. I haven't had the
> present cart long enough to refill it yet, so I don't know if that one
> tricolor was a freak or not. Using Google to find refilling
> instructions, the process looks the same for your carts as for mine.
> It's easy, with just a bit of practice. The best way to prevent clogs is
> to refill BEFORE you run dry of one color or another. If you want to go
> that route, I would recommend buying an Inktec refill kit, which will
> come with all you need to refill a few times. Thereafter, all you would
> need is more ink, rather than a whole new kit.

My opinion is that this is just more crap and refilling is a big mess.
But one thing is certain, other than leakage you cannot ruin the printer
using integrated carts but you can still get lousy quality.

Mary

May 28, 2009, 11:59:32 AM5/28/09
"IntergalacticExpandingPanda" <intergalactic...@hotmail.com>
wrote in message

On May 27, 4:01 pm, "Mary" <nos...@invalid.swl> wrote:
> Recently I bought an HP Photosmart C4345 all-in-one printer which scans,
> copies prints and faxes. It uses one tri color and one black cartridge
> (numbers 74 and 75). I have been using a Canon IP4000 for the past 3 years
> which is not printing as well as it used to but could be that it needs a
new
> printhead.

We've covered this before. You're printhead is kauput, why not buy a
new printhead? The cost of ink is rather trivial in contrast to the
cost of the printer or print head. While this is an older model canon
still has printers that are comparable to it but the new printers take
cartridges with chips.

Printheads here in Canada are about $70.00 or maybe $80.00 by the time
shipping is included. Can. $ and are not commonly sold in any stores that
I've seen, but they can be bought from Canon website last time I looked.
Even if I got a new printhead, how can I be sure the printer will last to
make it worthwhile to buy a new printhead?

The printhead life is limited to about 10 cartridge changes according
to the numbers in the manual, reality is 15-20 or more. Given similar
use, that printer is going to cost an extra $80 CAD or so every 3
years, or think about $1.60 CAD hidden charge per cartridge change.

> Because the C4345 used one tri color and one black cartridge, will it use
> less ink in general than the Canon which uses 6 cartridges?

http://h10060.www1.hp.com/pageyield/us/en/PSC4340/index.html

>Your canon you can expect about 500p (25ml)big black, and about 280
(13ml) pages color.

>HP claims 750pages black, 510p color for their 74xl and 75xl
cartridges. Presuming OEM the black is 4.6c/page vs your canon at
2.5c/page. I'm not sure on prices up north, but if you buy OEM
cartridges, black costs more.

>The actual amount of ink used is going to be less, as in the HP can
print more pages with 15ml of ink than the canon can with 25ml of
ink.

You mean if you buy the larger yield HP carts compared to the small regular
Canon carts which I think are 16ml.
I would have to look at prices of 74XL and 75XL next time I go to Staples as
they are about the only store that has a lot of variety of brands of ink
carts. XL carts last longer but are expensive. Regular 74 and 75 are about
$50.00 for combo

>I'm sure you could refill the #74/75, but AFAIK there is no meter that
tells you the cartridge is empty, so if you print without ink you're
likely to screwup your cartridge's print head. Not such a big deal
since you can buy #74/75 cheaply enough.

Ease of refilling, you can check out google cache's page from
inksupply.com

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:bVCsvKh2p6QJ:www.inksupply.com/hp_74_75_refill_instructions.cfm+hp+74xl+refill+instructions&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

It's hard to be accurate since I don't know this printer, but a rule
of thumb is these budget priced printers are going to be like spiffy
printers from 3 years ago. As such the ip4000 might be on par with
psc4300.

I'm not seeing a source for refilled #74/75 tanks.

But if you want to continue using Staples cartridges, buying a print
head is really the way to go. If you want to bulk fill your
cartridges, the ip4000 is easier and it'll blink at you when the
cartridge is empty.

It doesn't blink when the cartridge is empty, but the status monitor shows
you when the ink is out.
Thanks for info. I am only exploring possibilities. I am not sure yet what I
am going to do.

Mary

Mary

May 28, 2009, 12:17:50 PM5/28/09
"TJ" <T...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

I am only asking about the HP printer. I've had the IP4000 Canon for a few
years.

> The HP carts your printer uses have the printhead in the cart. While
> this means you get a fresh printhead every time you buy a new cart, it
> also means that "compatible" carts can't be made without violating HP
> patents. What you will find are "remanufactured" carts. Supposedly,
> these are used carts that have been cleaned, refilled, and checked out
> by the remanufacturer. The truth of the matter is that some are more
> meticulous at the process than others, and all many do is simply refill
> them. I used remanufactured carts for several years, and I had a lot of
> trouble sometimes getting a good tricolor cart. The black cart seems
> much easier to get right.

I would think the black cart would be easier to get right, but I suspect tri
colors would be more tricky even if they could be filled, though I really
don't know.

> I used a different tactic with the cart I'm using now. I bought it on
> Ebay. (Don't cringe like that! If you're careful and learn what you're
> doing, you won't have problems.) I searched for "genuine HP 57" (My
> printer uses #56 and #57 carts) and bought a slightly expired cart for
> about half the cost of retail. It's been working fine, unlike the last
> half-dozen remanufactured carts I bought.

Ebay is OK as far as my experieces. I've bought and sold quite a few things
though not for a few years.

> I also refill my carts. I've had great luck with refilling the black
> cart, being able to refill several of them over two dozen times each.
> I've had less luck with the remanufactured tricolors, but I once had an
> original that I also refilled over two dozen times. I haven't had the
> present cart long enough to refill it yet, so I don't know if that one
> tricolor was a freak or not. Using Google to find refilling
> instructions, the process looks the same for your carts as for mine.
> It's easy, with just a bit of practice. The best way to prevent clogs is
> to refill BEFORE you run dry of one color or another. If you want to go
> that route, I would recommend buying an Inktec refill kit, which will
> come with all you need to refill a few times. Thereafter, all you would
> need is more ink, rather than a whole new kit.

I don't know if they sell Inktec refill kits in Canada where I am. If you
are in the U.S. its easier for you to have more access to refill kits, and
to many products in fact.
So you have refilled the color cart of your present HP printer successfully?
I am not saying I would even refill carts for any printer. I just thought if
it was going to be very expensive for HP carts (and it usually is because
there are no compatibles for them), then I was investigating the
possibility. For me, everything depends on price. I have a tight budget.
That was all.

> I hope this was helpful, and good luck!

Thanks for the info. I'll have to see.

Mary

Mary

May 28, 2009, 12:38:12 PM5/28/09
"TJ" <T...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

I checked Future Shop cart prices. They are chain stores and online sales. I
found 74XL(black) for $52.99 and 75XL(color) for $56.99 , so thats $110.00
total so thats too much. The regular #74 is $24.99 and 75 is $29.99 =$54.00.
The regular combo 74/75 is $49.00 so saves a few dollars to buy the combo.
Of course, there may be other places who sell carts a little cheaper. All
carts of all brands are high prices. thats why everybody buys new printers
and why landfills are stacked with used printers.

Mary

Mary

May 28, 2009, 1:16:22 PM5/28/09
wrote in message
On May 27, 4:01 pm, "Mary" <nos...@invalid.swl> wrote:
> Recently I bought an HP Photosmart C4345 all-in-one printer which scans,
> copies prints and faxes. It uses one tri color and one black cartridge
> (numbers 74 and 75). I have been using a Canon IP4000 for the past 3 years
> which is not printing as well as it used to but could be that it needs a
new
> printhead.

We've covered this before. You're printhead is kauput, why not buy a
new printhead? The cost of ink is rather trivial in contrast to the
cost of the printer or print head. While this is an older model canon
still has printers that are comparable to it but the new printers take
cartridges with chips.

The printhead life is limited to about 10 cartridge changes according
to the numbers in the manual, reality is 15-20 or more. Given similar
use, that printer is going to cost an extra $80 CAD or so every 3
years, or think about $1.60 CAD hidden charge per cartridge change.

I am not convinced the problem with the Canon is the printhead. I have been
using compatible carts I got from an online company in the U.S. since last
Fall. I printed a few pages in color this morning, but the yellow cart which
I had put in about a week ago, was streaky. That status monitor showed it as
being full. I did some cleaning, then deep cleaning and a nozzle print, and
yellow was very pale and hardly showed up. When I examined the yellow cart,
the sponge part was half dry. I checked the ink cart and it showed plenty
yellow ink. I put in a new yellow cart and it worked fine. So if it was the
printhead, how would a new cart make any difference? I've had this same
problem with magenta not long ago. I use the printer about once a week,
sometimes do a lot of printing in all colors, sometimes not. The batch I got
from the online company consisted of 2 each of all colors and 2 each of
black.

I contacted this company a couple of months ago to tell them about the
problem of a magenta cart drying up too quickly, but that when I put a new
magenta in the printer, it worked OK. The company told me they were buying
from another distributor whose cartridges are designed a bit different. I
had noticed the sponge in the new carts was a lot smaller than the old carts
from the old distributor but whether that would cause some drying up of the
cart I don't know. I have not been using Staples compatibles since last
Fall. The online company in the US sold compatibles much cheaper than I
could buy in Canada. And like I said, the first batches I bought were no
problem, but with the last batch some carts have been dry not long after I
put them in the printer.

Just trying to explain.

Mary

TJ

May 28, 2009, 1:20:49 PM5/28/09
Mary wrote:
> "TJ" <T...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
I just had a look at Ebay Canada, and all prices I'm about to quote are
Canadian and include shipping...

I searched for "Genuine hp 74xl" and found some black carts listed for
around $34, as well as some 74xl/75xl combo packs for around $50. I see
one 75xl for $28, but $30-32 is probably more common. These carts are
all listed as in the USA, but the shipping cost is to Canada.

From what I read, the xl carts have triple the page yield of the non-xl
carts.

As far as the Inktec kits are concerned, I don't see any on Ebay for
your printer. But look around. Aren't there some places here in the US
that will ship to Canada?

TJ

Mary

May 28, 2009, 2:32:57 PM5/28/09
"TJ" <T...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

Yes there are some, but it has to be worth it, because we have very small
Customs exemptions compared to people in the U.S. anything over value of
$20.00 Can.$ is taxed at 13%, plus a $5.00 Canada post "handling fee". but
if its a lot cheaper prices than here, it can sometimes be worth it. I'll
check your information above and get back to you later.

I saw your HP 56 and 57 in Future shop online and they are a lot more money
than the HPC4345 I have. #56 and 57 combo of black and color one is $83.00
Can. ($74.50 US) and thats regular carts, not XL. Future shop sometimes have
good sale prices, but its rare to see sale prices on ink carts anywhere.

Mary

IntergalacticExpandingPanda

May 28, 2009, 4:41:02 PM5/28/09
On May 28, 8:59 am, "Mary" <nos...@invalid.swl> wrote:

> Printheads here in Canada are about $70.00 or maybe $80.00 by the time
> shipping is included. Can. $ and are not commonly sold in any stores that
> I've seen, but they can be bought from Canon website last time I looked.
> Even if I got a new printhead, how can I be sure the printer will last to
> make it worthwhile to buy a new printhead?

Odds? Seriously the head is like a lightbulb. It works on producing
heat which boils ink and comes out the nozzles. They burn out. It's
their job. Printheads burn out much faster than printers.

Your odds are mitigated by the fact that you can pickup second hand
canons which need a new head for dirt cheap. the i860 for example, or
the multifunctional mp750/760/780.

But most of all, it falls into the category of of holistic printing
cost. Buying a printhead will allow you to use cheap consumables.

-ip4000-
Presuming $15 per tank @ 500p/tank, add $1.60/tank Works out to about
3.2c per page. If you only get half the life out of the printhead
before the printer goes kauput, that bumps you up to 3.64c/page. 1/4
the life that's 3.96c/page. 1/8th it's life that's 5.5c/page. This
is presuming CDN dollars.

-HP #74 black-
Presuming $20 @ 200 page yield that's 10c/page. This is not a good
deal

-HP #74xl black-
Presuming $48 @ 750 page yield, that's 6.4c/page

Conclusion. Presuming these prices, if you only get 1/8th the
expected life of a canon printhead, the canon is still cheaper.

> You mean if you buy the larger yield HP carts compared to the small regular
> Canon carts which I think are 16ml.
> I would have to look at prices of 74XL and 75XL next time I go to Staples as
> they are about the only store that has a lot of variety of brands of ink
> carts. XL carts last longer but are expensive. Regular 74 and 75 are about
> $50.00 for combo

Canon carts, for the ip4000, are 25ml and 13ml. However you can't
think in the same terms for HP since it uses about half the ink for a
given page.

The regular cartridges are not a good deal. The yield is

Black 200p @ $20 or 10c/page
Color 165p @ $30 or 18c/page
With loss of extra color.

The general rule on HP is for the XL cartridges, double the price for
triple the yield.

Canon is
black 500page @ $15 or 3c/page
color 280p/tank @ $45.99 or 16c/page
You do have to add the dye black, but that's negligible.

> It doesn't blink when the cartridge is empty, but the status monitor shows
> you when the ink is out.
> Thanks for info. I am only exploring possibilities. I am not sure yet what I
> am going to do.

Ok, you were not understanding. You refill a BCI6 with bulk ink, the
printer will see it as being full. If you do this on an HP, AFAIK
without a chip resetter the printer will not see the cartridge as
full. It's a guessing game. There is no meter, there is only an
estimate.

In terms of raw economics, presuming you print mostly black text, the
Canon is a better deal than this HP. It's an even better deal if you
go with aftermarket ink that cost less than staples, and even better
deal if you go bulk ink which is really where the savings is.

You can go bulk ink on your HP if you like. It's not "as" easy as
Canon but it is an option. Replacement "printheads" in the form of
regular cartridges are $50 CDN per set, vs Canon's $70-80. Odds are
high you'll have to replace them more often.

If you considered a non-budget HP model, the tale would be a little
different. But budget HP, Canon, and Epson printers cost an arm and a
leg for ink. There are exceptions, sometimes you can ride the wave
and get the regular model for budget price, but generally the budget
printers eat you alive with the cost of ink.

Message has been deleted

IntergalacticExpandingPanda

May 28, 2009, 5:27:01 PM5/28/09
On May 28, 9:17 am, "Mary" <nos...@invalid.swl> wrote:

> I don't know if they sell Inktec refill kits in Canada where I am.

First of all

http://enviroinks.com/product.php?productid=30964&cat=2210&page=1&gclid=CLjOzMb135oCFShRagodKjWFzQ

http://enviroinks.com/product.php?productid=30966&cat=0&page=1

I know nothing about this company, or even if they ship to Canada, but
the XL refill is more reasonable in price. The regular refill sucks
and should be ignored as a bad idea. There are people who sell
refilled cartridges.

Also, staples does carry bulk ink for the HP on their website. It's
the Jet Tec brand, not Ink tec. The Jet Tec is sort of a semi generic
which doesn't clearly state which cartridges it's formulated for. The
Canon Jet Tec kit makes it clear it's designed for the bci-6 series of
printers, which include the ip4000.

Message has been deleted

Barry Watzman

May 28, 2009, 5:37:41 PM5/28/09
Some problems with this post ....

First, the description of how printheads work applies only to thermal
printheads. Epson uses a totally different technology.

Second, the printheads do not burn out unless the ink supply runs dry.
The liquid ink acts as a coolant and if the printhead is not run dry, it
will not burn out. A bigger issue is that the aperture (the hole, the
nozzle) actually gets destroyed, eventually, by the ink being forced
through it. Also, of course, if the ink dries out it can clog the
printhead.

People bitch about HP having an "expiration date" on ink cartridges, but
they do that only for cartridges used in printers with separate ink
cartridges and printheads (e.g. they don't do it in cartridges with both
the ink and printhead in a single cartridge). And there is a reason for
it: Ink cartridges are not totally sealed (they are vented), and, over
time, the solvent in the ink will very slowly evaporate and the ink will
thicken. This leads to clogged printheads, and the purpose of having an
"expiration date" is to try and keep an old ink cartridge from clogging
printhead whose replacement is far more difficult and far more expensive
than replacing the ink tank.

Barry Watzman

May 28, 2009, 5:40:03 PM5/28/09
Some can, some can't. Depends on the model.

> I am still not interested in refilling but just wanted to know if HP carts

> can be refilled.

TJ

May 28, 2009, 6:02:27 PM5/28/09
Mary wrote:
> "TJ" <T...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

>> I just had a look at Ebay Canada, and all prices I'm about to quote are

>> Canadian and include shipping...
>>
>> I searched for "Genuine hp 74xl" and found some black carts listed for
>> around $34, as well as some 74xl/75xl combo packs for around $50. I see
>> one 75xl for $28, but $30-32 is probably more common. These carts are
>> all listed as in the USA, but the shipping cost is to Canada.
>
>> From what I read, the xl carts have triple the page yield of the non-xl
>> carts.
>>
>> As far as the Inktec kits are concerned, I don't see any on Ebay for
>> your printer. But look around. Aren't there some places here in the US
>> that will ship to Canada?
>
> Yes there are some, but it has to be worth it, because we have very small
> Customs exemptions compared to people in the U.S. anything over value of
> $20.00 Can.$ is taxed at 13%, plus a $5.00 Canada post "handling fee". but
> if its a lot cheaper prices than here, it can sometimes be worth it. I'll
> check your information above and get back to you later.
>
> I saw your HP 56 and 57 in Future shop online and they are a lot more money
> than the HPC4345 I have. #56 and 57 combo of black and color one is $83.00
> Can. ($74.50 US) and thats regular carts, not XL. Future shop sometimes have
> good sale prices, but its rare to see sale prices on ink carts anywhere.
>
> Mary

The HP 56 and 57 are an older design, before HP brought out the "xl"
cartridges. I haven't looked at the specs for ink content, but they're
probably roughly equivalent to the xl carts. HP "regular" carts have
been getting smaller and smaller over the years.

Be aware that IEP is right about the ink level with HPs. It is a
software indicator that estimates ink usage, and if you refill carts it
must be reset to work. On my printers, a Deskjet 5650 and an Officejet
6110, the printer remembers the carts, but can only remember a limited
number of them (three). To get the ink level indicator back I install a
couple of old carts, let the printer recognize them, then put in the
refilled cart to a reset indicator. Newer models and print systems may
very well not work the same.

Please don't think I'm shoving in the direction of HP, even though it
may look that way. It's just that I have information about HP, and I
have none about Canon. From what I read in your responses to others, you
may just need to change your Canon ink supplier again.

TJ

Frank

May 28, 2009, 6:24:12 PM5/28/09
measekite wrote:
> On Thu, 28 May 2009 01:16:56 -0700, IntergalacticExpandingPanda wrote:
>
>> On May 27, 8:30 pm, measekite <inkysti...@oem.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Just like I said and have been saying. You never know what you get from
>>> the junk ink retailers because they will not tell you. They also will not
>>> tell you when they change their supplier either so when they buy even more
>>> crap from who knows where and will not tell you you never know what you
>>> are using and then your printhead goes bad.
>> http://www.hp.com/sbso/product/supplies/supplies_reliability_ink.pdf
>>
>> According to this Quality Logic report, Staples at the time was
>> reselling Dataproducts cartridges. The bci-3eBK has the Dataproducts
>> ID of DPCBCI3BK
>
> In general, the dataproducts stuff I have used in the past have not been
> high quality products.

You're a fukkin LIAR, liar!

Frank

May 28, 2009, 6:25:44 PM5/28/09
measher-shit-head wrote:
-----------------------
REAL TRANSLATION;
measher-shit-head is a LYING POS low-life loser!
STFU asshole!

William R. Walsh

May 28, 2009, 6:44:21 PM5/28/09
Hi!

> It "auto" prints as well. I'll look in the manual to see if there is a
way to keep
> them from automatically printing...auto printing would be optimal if it
> supported duplex printing in fax mode).

It *ought* to. (I say this with some trepidation, because...well, why don't
you read http://greyghost.mooo.com/fax.htm for that story?)

I have a fax machine, and with it came a bundled fax spam problem. I've
never given my fax number to anyone other than a select group of people, so
I guess there is some "war dialing" going on with these scumbags.

I can definitely set that old OfficeJet 500 to receive faxes only to the PC.
Power outages are the only thing that makes it forget what I want to do. And
sometimes its RAM buffer gets full, if the PC is sleeping (which it rarely
is). This forces fax printing to occur.

What I'm not sure about is how you'd go about auto-printing them after
they've been received to the PC. I think HP's answer would be to change the
setting in the software, as opposed to providing a means for receiving to
the PC and then printing the faxes with an established set of parameters.

William

IntergalacticExpandingPanda

May 29, 2009, 4:16:37 AM5/29/09
On May 28, 3:02 pm, TJ <T...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Be aware that IEP is right about the ink level with HPs. It is a
> software indicator that estimates ink usage, and if you refill carts it
> must be reset to work.

I've seen some software solutions that would help you to judge when to
refill cartridges.

> It's just that I have information about HP, and I
> have none about Canon. From what I read in your responses to others, you
> may just need to change your Canon ink supplier again.

Or, accept that 3 years of use require a replacement head. If 3
refills of each tank were used per year, that's on par with the
estimated life of the printhead according to the service manual.

Arthur Entlich

May 29, 2009, 8:19:07 AM5/29/09
I think the poster was discussing Canon heads which are thermal, and I
believe he is aware that Epson uses a piezo mechanical head.

The nozzles in thermal heads have a resistor which turns on and off to
heat the ink, and they can indeed burn out similarly to a light bulb,
which also uses a resistive filament. For the sake of simplicity, I
don't find the explanation he provided to be drastically flawed.

Art

If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:

http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/

TJ

May 29, 2009, 8:46:40 AM5/29/09
IntergalacticExpandingPanda wrote:
> On May 28, 3:02 pm, TJ <T...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> Be aware that IEP is right about the ink level with HPs. It is a
>> software indicator that estimates ink usage, and if you refill carts it
>> must be reset to work.
>
> I've seen some software solutions that would help you to judge when to
> refill cartridges.

No doubt. I never looked into it for myself because they're probably all
for Windows, and I use Linux. (One of the many reasons I have not
considered buying a Canon. HP Linux support is MUCH better.) I have also
seen something about a procedure with the cartridge contacts, taping
over one or two, installing the cart for the reset, then removing it
again and removing the tape. But I've also seen conflicting reports on
the effectiveness of that. And as I said, I'm dealing with older carts
that don't have chips. The newer carts may, or may not. I just don't know.

>> It's just that I have information about HP, and I
>> have none about Canon. From what I read in your responses to others, you
>> may just need to change your Canon ink supplier again.
>
> Or, accept that 3 years of use require a replacement head. If 3
> refills of each tank were used per year, that's on par with the
> estimated life of the printhead according to the service manual.

Well, anything you use requires maintenance if it's to last. However,
somewhere above she said that one color smeared no matter what she did
until she replaced that color cartridge. Knowing absolutely nothing
specific about Canon printers, that sounds to me like the cart is
probably at fault. However, I can also see where it could be possible
that a printhead on the verge of failing might work OK with a full cart
(Higher line pressure?) but start to fail as the cart empties. And she
IS using a used printhead with an unknown (to her) amount of pages under
its belt. If the cart that was working when new suddenly starts smearing
when it's not so full, then the cart is probably not the problem after
all. One cart failing in this fashion is, I would think, possible. But
if cart after cart does the same thing then it's probably something else.

But I can see her point of view, too. If she spends, what was it...$90
on a replacement printhead and it DOESN'T cure the problem, the $90 was
wasted. Depending on a person's circumstances in this economy, that's
not to be taken lightly. Unfortunately, unless she decides to refill, I
doubt she would be happy with the HP, strictly as a printer.

TJ

Mary

May 29, 2009, 2:39:45 PM5/29/09
"TJ" <T...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

That could be the case because it happened with more than one color. When I
contacted the online company who I bought the cartridges from (they are
compatible cartridges), they said they had some complaints not so much with
my problem of the cartridge drying up after a week or so, but they did not
think the cartridges were as good as the previous distributor. (They had
changed ink cartridge distributors) with my last batch. The batch before
that from the old distributor were OK. It wasn't just one color I had this
problem with, it was cyan, magenta and yellow. A new cartridge fixed the
problem and sometimes was ok for a while, sometimes not.

However, I can also see where it could be possible
> that a printhead on the verge of failing might work OK with a full cart
> (Higher line pressure?) but start to fail as the cart empties. And she
> IS using a used printhead with an unknown (to her) amount of pages under
> its belt.

I didn't go into how old the used printhead was, but the person who gave it
to me, said there should still be a lot of use in it. In my view, I don't
think its the printhead. I think its the cartridges, but the printhead could
need replacing fairly soon anyway.

If the cart that was working when new suddenly starts smearing
> when it's not so full, then the cart is probably not the problem after
> all. One cart failing in this fashion is, I would think, possible. But
> if cart after cart does the same thing then it's probably something else.

> But I can see her point of view, too. If she spends, what was it...$90
> on a replacement printhead and it DOESN'T cure the problem, the $90 was
> wasted.

That is part of my dilemma. In any case, while I decide, I am exploring
possibilities for another printer and thats why I am asking about the HP
C4345 printer I got. I haven't opened the box yet, so can take it back if I
decide to.

>Depending on a person's circumstances in this economy, that's
> not to be taken lightly. Unfortunately, unless she decides to refill, I
> doubt she would be happy with the HP, strictly as a printer.

Why would I not be happy with the HP strictly as a printer? The one I got
has a copier which I would use, and a fax, which I wouldn't use much, but
handy to have, and the price is good and its probably OK. I may be able to
find compatible carts on a Canadian online site at a reasonable price. I am
looking to refilling. It would be a last restort, and only if I can't find
reasonable compatible cart prices, preferably in Canada where I don't have
to worry about Customs. I don't print a lot but sometimes like to print
photos, and thats when I use a lot of ink, but I don't do that very often.
I found out yesterday my daughter bought an HP C4400 all-in-one so is
similar to the one I got except no fax which I didn't care if mine had that
or not. She's been using it for a couple of weeks and thinks its ok. She
needs a new tri color already because she printed a lot of photos since she
got it, but they all use a lot of ink when printing photos, especially the
newer ones which mostly have higher resolutions..

Mary

Mary

May 29, 2009, 3:14:42 PM5/29/09
wrote in message

On May 28, 9:17 am, "Mary" <nos...@invalid.swl> wrote:

> I don't know if they sell Inktec refill kits in Canada where I am.

First of all

http://enviroinks.com/product.php?productid=30964&cat=2210&page=1&gclid=CLjOzMb135oCFShRagodKjWFzQ

http://enviroinks.com/product.php?productid=30966&cat=0&page=1

I know nothing about this company, or even if they ship to Canada, but
the XL refill is more reasonable in price. The regular refill sucks
and should be ignored as a bad idea. There are people who sell
refilled cartridges.

The above site does not ship to Canada. But there must be Canadian companies
who do. There are several factors about buying products in the US which you
don't have to think about when you live in the U.S. But buying anything from
the US is only worth it to me if the product is cheap enough that its worth
having to pay Customs tax of 13% plus Post office fee, or if its under
$20.00 Can. where I pay no tax. Of course we need to pay 13% when buying in
Canada for most products, but most times I can buy products in stores here
so I don't often buy anything online, unless on Ebay if I see a DVD movie I
can't get here which is just once in a while..

>Also, staples does carry bulk ink for the HP on their website. It's
the Jet Tec brand, not Ink tec. The Jet Tec is sort of a semi generic
which doesn't clearly state which cartridges it's formulated for. The
Canon Jet Tec kit makes it clear it's designed for the bci-6 series of
printers, which include the ip4000.

I had to dig a little to find that info, but its there. The refills for HP
printers doesn't specify which models the ink is for. Just says "for 750"
models and to see package. You would have to see the packages in STaples
stores if they happen to have them. I have 4 Staples stores near me but
never looked very closely are ink refill packages. I'll look next time I go
just to see. They are around $20.00-$25.00 Can.$ (which is fairly close to
US dollar right now).

Mary

IntergalacticExpandingPanda

May 29, 2009, 3:53:19 PM5/29/09
On May 29, 11:39 am, "Mary" <nos...@invalid.swl> wrote:
A new cartridge fixed the
> problem and sometimes was ok for a while, sometimes not.

Ok, if that's the issue, replace your cartridges. It would be best if
you bought OEM cartridges for testing. Share your supplier and likely
don't buy from them again.

http://www.amazon.ca/Canon-BCI-6-Tri-Color-Ink-Pack/dp/B000H5TXHE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1243624081&sr=8-1

http://www.piloshop.ca/pixma-series-pixma-ip4000-c-3008289_1045_104507_1006918.html

I've actually used G&G in my mp760, which is the all and one version
of your ip4000.

For bulk ink in Canada
Precisioncolors.com

For refilling cartridges
http://www.cartridgeworld.ca/

> If the cart that was working when new suddenly starts smearing

That's most likely a cartridge issue.

> That is part  of my dilemma. In any case, while I decide, I am exploring
> possibilities for another printer and thats why I am asking about the HP
> C4345 printer I got. I haven't opened the box yet, so can take it back if I
> decide to.

The alternative is to buy into a warranty program with Canon where
they will replace your printer. This warranty program will cost more
than a replacement printer, however given the very low cost of
supplies, given your canon takes cartridges without chips, it's worth
a premium to keep in service since your printing cost will be LOWER by
a long shot.

Another solution is to take your printer in for service, get an
estimate of evaluating a known good printhead in your printer.

> Why would I not be happy with the HP strictly as a printer?

Cost of supplies higher with a printer that isn't technically that
much better than the ip4000. Lack of aftermarket refilled cartridges
in your neighborhood.

If you go with bulk ink refills on that HP, well, that's another
story.

It may be possible you can find refilled HP supplies for $2.50~$5.00
black and $10~$20 color.

Presuming 10 black cartridges @ $20, that's $200
Presuming $5.00, that's a savings of $150

Presuming 3 tri color packs @ $45, that's 135
presuming $5 each, that's $75
That's a saving of $60

~$210

Keeping in mind that you can find cartridges for less than $5.00 each,
and you will continue printing beyond 10 cartridges @ 3 x 3 color
cartridges.

I didn't include the extra black since that doesn't get used as
often. I replace mine after about 4 cartridge changes of the color.

> I found out yesterday my daughter bought an HP C4400 all-in-one so is
> similar to the one I got except no fax which I didn't care if mine had that
> or not. She's been using it for a couple of weeks and thinks its ok. She
> needs a new tri color already because she printed a lot of photos since she
> got it, but they all use a lot of ink when printing photos, especially the
> newer ones which mostly have higher resolutions..

If she bought the regular cartridges, she spent too much money. The
rule of thumb is XL cartridges are about double the cost for triple
the yield.

Mary

May 30, 2009, 12:00:09 AM5/30/09
wrote in message

On May 29, 11:39 am, "Mary" <nos...@invalid.swl> wrote:
A new cartridge fixed the
> problem and sometimes was ok for a while, sometimes not.

Ok, if that's the issue, replace your cartridges. It would be best if
you bought OEM cartridges for testing. Share your supplier and likely
don't buy from them again.

But I am not positive its the cartridges. It may also be the printhead.
Sometimes the cartridge is ok, and sometimes doesn't last but still has
quite a lot of ink left. Also, I don't know how long the printhead will
last. Ive had it for a while and it was used when I got it, and I don't want
to buy another printhead. I won't be buying from them again. It was Abacus
which were recommended to me one time and the first two batches were ok last
year but as I said, they changed manufacturers.

http://www.amazon.ca/Canon-BCI-6-Tri-Color-Ink-Pack/dp/B000H5TXHE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1243624081&sr=8-1

It is usually referred to as Value Pak in STaples. The above says tri color
which is usually one cartridge with 3 colors in it. Anyway, the one pack you
refer to above is the same price as sold in Staples stores near me and its
always been there. Besides the 3 color pak, I still have to buy two blacks,
one is the same size as the color carts and one is a fat black, and that is
about another $25.00 so $70.00 total plus 13% tax. I don't buy carts in
Staples any more. I used to buy Staples compatibles which were cheaper than
the name brand, but now they are not much cheaper. I don't buy all carts at
the same time.

http://www.piloshop.ca/pixma-series-pixma-ip4000-c-3008289_1045_104507_1006918.html

Doesn't say how much shipping is till you check out. It is maybe OK.

I've actually used G&G in my mp760, which is the all and one version
of your ip4000.

For bulk ink in Canada
Precisioncolors.com

For refilling cartridges
http://www.cartridgeworld.ca/

They have a few stores around town, but I've never used them.

> If the cart that was working when new suddenly starts smearing

That's most likely a cartridge issue.

Could be.

> That is part of my dilemma. In any case, while I decide, I am exploring
> possibilities for another printer and thats why I am asking about the HP
> C4345 printer I got. I haven't opened the box yet, so can take it back if
> decide to.

The alternative is to buy into a warranty program with Canon where
they will replace your printer. This warranty program will cost more
than a replacement printer, however given the very low cost of
supplies, given your canon takes cartridges without chips, it's worth
a premium to keep in service since your printing cost will be LOWER by
a long shot.

Another solution is to take your printer in for service, get an
estimate of evaluating a known good printhead in your printer.

> Why would I not be happy with the HP strictly as a printer?

Cost of supplies higher with a printer that isn't technically that
much better than the ip4000. Lack of aftermarket refilled cartridges
in your neighborhood.

You gave me two or three online Canadian cartridge suppliers and I've seen a
couple who have reasonably priced compatibles.

~$210

Thanks for all your information. You bring up some good information But I
will have to make up my own mind and choose for myself what I want to do and
you have given me enough information to think about.

Mary

Mary

Jun 3, 2009, 8:08:01 PM6/3/09
wrote in message
On May 27, 4:01 pm, "Mary" <nos...@invalid.swl> wrote:
> Recently I bought an HP Photosmart C4345 all-in-one printer which scans,
> copies prints and faxes. It uses one tri color and one black cartridge
> (numbers 74 and 75). I have been using a Canon IP4000 for the past 3 years
> which is not printing as well as it used to but could be that it needs a
new
> printhead.

We've covered this before. You're printhead is kauput, why not buy a
new printhead? The cost of ink is rather trivial in contrast to the
cost of the printer or print head. While this is an older model canon
still has printers that are comparable to it but the new printers take
cartridges with chips.

The printhead life is limited to about 10 cartridge changes according
to the numbers in the manual, reality is 15-20 or more. Given similar
use, that printer is going to cost an extra $80 CAD or so every 3
years, or think about $1.60 CAD hidden charge per cartridge change.

> Because the C4345 used one tri color and one black cartridge, will it use

> less ink in general than the Canon which uses 6 cartridges?

http://h10060.www1.hp.com/pageyield/us/en/PSC4340/index.html

Your canon you can expect about 500p (25ml)big black, and about 280
(13ml) pages color.

The Canon IP4000 which I have has 3 colors and 1 black - all are 15ml. Also
there is fat black (3Ebk) which has 30 mil.
Looks like your above paragraph is calculating a tri color and a black cart,
which must be a different model.

>HP claims 750pages black, 510p color for their 74xl and 75xl
cartridges. Presuming OEM the black is 4.6c/page vs your canon at
2.5c/page. I'm not sure on prices up north, but if you buy OEM
cartridges, black costs more.

>The actual amount of ink used is going to be less, as in the HP can
print more pages with 15ml of ink than the canon can with 25ml of
ink.

Panda,

How do you get that the HP can print more pages with 15 ml of ink?. It only
says on the HP cart that it prints a certain amount of pages. It doesn't say
how many ml's of ink is in the cart. AT least I couldn't see any ml's when I
looked at the box at the store. And the Canon I have uses 15 ml carts, not
25 ml. I don't think the cartridges my Canon uses has XL carts, so you have
to compare regular to regular carts.

>I'm sure you could refill the #74/75, but AFAIK there is no meter that
tells you the cartridge is empty, so if you print without ink you're
likely to screwup your cartridge's print head. Not such a big deal
since you can buy #74/75 cheaply enough.

They are a lot more money here for cartridges than they are in the U.S. so
its a big deal to me. And XL is way too expensive unless I found a good
cartridge compatible.

The information you gave me below is not what I would likely be interested
in. I am only leaving it in for your reference if you want to see what you
said before. I was just curious about the things I asked above.

Mary

Ease of refilling, you can check out google cache's page from
inksupply.com

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:bVCsvKh2p6QJ:www.inksupply.com/hp_74_75_refill_instructions.cfm+hp+74xl+refill+instructions&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

It's hard to be accurate since I don't know this printer, but a rule
of thumb is these budget priced printers are going to be like spiffy
printers from 3 years ago. As such the ip4000 might be on par with
psc4300.

I'm not seeing a source for refilled #74/75 tanks.

But if you want to continue using Staples cartridges, buying a print
head is really the way to go. If you want to bulk fill your
cartridges, the ip4000 is easier and it'll blink at you when the
cartridge is empty.

I haven't decided what I am going to do yet.

IntergalacticExpandingPanda

Jun 3, 2009, 10:51:32 PM6/3/09
On Jun 3, 5:08 pm, "Mary" <nos...@invalid.swl> wrote:
> Panda,
>
> How do you get that the HP can print more pages with 15 ml of ink?. It only
> says on the HP cart that it prints a certain amount of pages. It doesn't say
> how many ml's of ink is in the cart. AT least I couldn't see any ml's when I
> looked at the box at the store. And the Canon I have uses 15 ml carts, not
> 25 ml.  I don't think the cartridges my Canon uses has XL carts, so you have
> to compare regular to regular carts.

"Canon" cartridges for the ip4000 are 25ml for the big black, and
13ml. You "might" be buying 15ml cartridges but those are not Canon.

Canon prints at about 20pages/ml @ 5% coverage. This covers the 500p
big black @ 25ml and 280 dye 13ml

The HP 74XL according to sources is 18ml (3.5x more) and has an
estimated yield of 750p or 41.6p/ml.

The HP74 is 5ml (72% less) and has an estimated yield of 200p or 40p/
ml

Info on HP page yields is here

http://h10060.www1.hp.com/pageyield/us/en/PSC4340/index.html

Volume and other specs are here
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00839662&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3265897

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00839826&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3266275

I don't know about the HP bulk inks, but I can compare Epson to Canon
and say with reasonable certainty that the Epson's ink is much more
dense. Simply put, Canon uses more water.

Now this would mean if you can keep your HP printheads in service, the
HP would be cheaper to print since the cost of the bulk in is about
the same, though slightly cheaper where I buy it from. You'll have to
ask a Canadian dealer like Precision Colors.
http://precisioncolors.com.

Mary

Jun 4, 2009, 1:08:31 AM6/4/09
wrote in message

On Jun 3, 5:08 pm, "Mary" <nos...@invalid.swl> wrote:
> Panda,
>
> How do you get that the HP can print more pages with 15 ml of ink?. It
only
> says on the HP cart that it prints a certain amount of pages. It doesn't
say
> how many ml's of ink is in the cart. AT least I couldn't see any ml's when
> looked at the box at the store. And the Canon I have uses 15 ml carts, not
> 25 ml. I don't think the cartridges my Canon uses has XL carts, so you
have
> to compare regular to regular carts.
>

>"Canon" cartridges for the ip4000 are 25ml for the big black, and
13ml. You "might" be buying 15ml cartridges but those are not Canon.

Maybe they were the Staples cartridges. I used to buy Canon cartridges when
they were on sale, but haven't bought them for a while. I didn't think the
Canon ones were 13 ml but can't find a site which tells the ml's on the
front. Its like they don't want you to see it.

>Canon prints at about 20pages/ml @ 5% coverage. This covers the 500p
big black @ 25ml and 280 dye 13ml

>The HP 74XL according to sources is 18ml (3.5x more) and has an
estimated yield of 750p or 41.6p/ml.

>The HP74 is 5ml (72% less) and has an estimated yield of 200p or 40p/
ml

I am not so interested in yields because I do not usually print a lot of
stuff, but sometimes I print photos and thats when I use a lot of ink. I am
much more interested in the price of cartridges than the yield. For me, I
want to try to find a printer which is fairly reasonably priced, though to
me ALL ink cartridges are expensive. I can't afford to lay out a lot of
money at one time which was what I told you before. I am interested in costs
to maintain a printer and that means cartridges.

>Info on HP page yields is here

http://h10060.www1.hp.com/pageyield/us/en/PSC4340/index.html

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00839826&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3266275

>I don't know about the HP bulk inks, but I can compare Epson to Canon
and say with reasonable certainty that the Epson's ink is much more
dense. Simply put, Canon uses more water.

>Now this would mean if you can keep your HP printheads in service, the
HP would be cheaper to print since the cost of the bulk in is about
the same, though slightly cheaper where I buy it from. You'll have to
ask a Canadian dealer like Precision Colors.
http://precisioncolors.com.

I did a survey tonight and compared cartridge costs for Best Buy US and Best
Buy Canada, so you can see the big difference between US and Canada prices.
Because cartridges cost a lot less in the US, you are looking at other
differences such as yields, but I am looking at cartridges which I think is
more important unless you print a lot which I don't. Best Buy US and Best
Buy Canada are good examples because they are the same store, only yours is
Best Buy in US dollars and my Best buy is in Canadian dollars. The Canadian
dollar is not much less than the US dollar right now, because the US dollar
has weakened recently against other currencies so its a fair comparison. I
chose #74 and #75 regular and XL, but not much chance I would be buying XL
even if it is 3 times more.

Best Buy U.S. with Best Buy Canada prices in brackets.

HP C4345 and most of the HPC4000 series which use #74 and #75
#74 regular = $14.99 (30.99)
#75 regular =$19.99 (24.99)

#74XL =$34.99 ($53.99) - almost $20.00 more for same item in Canada
# 75XL=$40.99 ($61.99) = $21.00 more for same item.

Theres a lot more difference in price between the #74XL/#75XL and the
regular #74/75 ones.

Canon IP4000

Canon cartridges (Canon brand)
#BCI-6 -$13.49 ($18.99) - 5 carts X $13.49 =$ 67.48 US (5X18.99 = $94.95
Can.) - about $27.50 difference.
Of course I don't usually buy Canon OEM carts, but these examples are just
to keep the same comparison for US and Canada Best buy stores and I don't
buy a whole set of BCI-6 cartridges all at one time, but thats the only way
to compare.

Best buy cartridges are very overpriced and I wouldn't buy carts there.
There are cheaper stores to buy carts, but are not greatly less in price
than Best Buy. Cartridges are hardly ever on sale, but the price of printers
is much the same here (when they are on sale) as in the U.S. unless its a
new printer, where it takes time to go down in price.
Canon BCI- compatibles in STaples are quite good and a lot cheaper than Best
Buy - $13.50 per cart. - 4X13.50 = $54.00 plus the BCI-3BK for $26.56 for 2
X 29 ml's each.

I saw an ad today for the Canon MP 480 sometimes on sale here for $69.00.
Its a 3 in 1 and prices for the carts don't seem so expensive. I don't know
anything about this printer.

Canon OEM carts:
PG-211XL - $34.99 Can.$ -
CL211XL -$27.99 - $53.00

regular size $22.99 and 29.99 = $52.99

Of course a lot depends on how many ml's is in the carts. 16 ml's is going
to print more pages than 13 ml. But the MP 480 is cheaper carts.

Burt

Jun 4, 2009, 1:46:23 AM6/4/09

"Mary" <nos...@invalid.swl> wrote in message
Mary - you are investigating so many factors that you are losing sight of
the real issue. You want to minimize your printing costs. You've now
gotten more information than you can possibly need to make a decision. I
remember that you agonized over the purchase of the ip4000 and finally took
many people's advice and were very satisfied with your new printer.

First of all, I don't know the MP480 printer, but it appears to have a
tricolor cart and a black cart. The cart stock numbers appear to be for the
most recent generations of canon printers which have chips on the carts.
You will not find compatable carts for these printers for a very long time
as the chip on these carts is different from the previous generation of
chipped carts which have been duplicated for aftermarket prefilled carts.
The absolute least coverage is generally from these tricolor carts, in
addition to which when one color runs out you throw away what is left of the
remaining colors. The number of ml. of ink in a tricolor cart is the total
of the three colors, so you can see that there is really very little ink of
each color and you will be buying new carts much more often than if you have
separate color carts. Looking for the least expensive cart is ultimately
false economy if you have to replace them three or more times more often.

The ip4000 printer has a world of aftermarket prefilled carts.
Unfortunately, purchasing the ones from a place like Staples isn't that much
of a savings over OEM carts, and buying them from a vendor online may get
you decent carts or not. The ones that I've heard are decent are G&G carts.
If no one on this newsgroup can tell you where to by them you can check out
Neil Slade's web site on inks and printers and see where he buys them. My
preference is to know the producer of the ink I put into my printer and that
is why I refill OEM canon carts with Image Specialist inks from Precision
Colors in Canada. The absolute least cost you will have will be to purchase
a new printhead for your ip4000 and refill carts for about $1 per cart.
Otherwise you are going to buy either OEM carts for a new printer or try to
find aftermarket carts that work well and have decent color balance for
photos. There is also a remote possibility that your printhead can be
cleaned with additional efforts. I already referred you to the nifty-stuff
forum site where there is more information on cleaning a printhead.

I feel badly that you keep circling around the issue and continue to beat
yourself up with all the research you are doing.

By the way, I have read that certain of the HP printers do print more pages
per ml. than some other printers. It may have something to do with the
construction of the cart and recapture of ink that otherwise goes into the
waste ink pad in Epson and Canon printers. Don't hold me to that
explanation as my only experience with HP printers has been with several
monocolor black laser HP printers.

IntergalacticExpandingPanda

Jun 4, 2009, 2:40:58 AM6/4/09
On Jun 3, 10:08 pm, "Mary" <nos...@invalid.swl> wrote:
> I am not so interested in yields because I do not usually print a lot of
> stuff, but sometimes I print photos and thats when I use a lot of ink. I am
> much more interested in the price of cartridges than the yield. For me, I
> want to try to find a printer which is fairly reasonably priced, though to
> me ALL ink cartridges are expensive. I can't afford to lay out a lot of
> money at one time which was what I told you before. I am interested in costs
> to maintain a printer and that means cartridges.

But the yields determine how often you BUY cartridges.

You're right, I print more than you. I burn though about 30-60 color
cartridges/year. But I spend an less than you do by a couple orders
of magnitude because I buy OEM cartridges and refill them.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/12-oz-Refill-Kit-Canon-iP4000-iP5000-i860-mp750-mp760_W0QQitemZ130219440341QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPrinter_Accessories?hash=item1e51aef8d5&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A30

About 4 black refills, and about 4 color refills of each color. CDN
$20 plus shipping, so let's say $30. It's a good deal.

> chose #74 and #75 regular and XL, but not much chance I would be buying XL
> even if it is 3 times more.
>
> Best Buy U.S. with Best Buy Canada prices in brackets.
>
> HP C4345 and most of the HPC4000 series which use #74 and #75
> #74 regular = $14.99  (30.99)
> #75 regular =$19.99  (24.99)
>
> #74XL =$34.99 ($53.99) - almost $20.00 more for same item in Canada
> # 75XL=$40.99 ($61.99)  = $21.00 more for same item.

HP 74=$31@200p = 15.5c/page
HP 74XL=$53.99@750P=7.2c/page
DOUBLE THE COST

HP75=$24.99 @ 165p = 15c/page
HP75XL=$61.99 @ 510P = 12.1C/PAGE
20% HIGHER

> Canon cartridges (Canon brand)
> #BCI-6 -$13.49 ($18.99) - 5 carts X $13.49 =$ 67.48 US (5X18.99 = $94.95
> Can.) - about $27.50 difference.

bci-6 $18.99 @ 280P = 6.8C/PAGE
X 3 20.4c/page

The small black is used about 1/3 less than the other tanks

Staples Twinpack
BCI-3e $29.20 CDN @ 1000 page = 2.9c/page
+ 1.6c/page for the cost of the head.
4.5c/page CDN

You "might" save money printing color on your HP using OEM ink, so
long as you don't toss away too much color ink when one tank becomes
empty.

BUT without a doubt, buying OEM ink the HP will cost more. The HP
costs twice as much to print text, triple as much if you buy the
regular cartridges.

But here's the kicker, you're the sort of user who's looking at per
tank cost rather than cost per page. You already have a ip4000 which
has a TON of aftermarket INK in cartridges READY to go.

> I saw an ad today for the Canon MP 480 sometimes on sale here for $69.00.
> Its a 3 in 1 and prices for the carts don't seem so expensive. I don't know
> anything about this printer.

It's the same deal as last year. It'll cost MORE to print with the
mp480 than the ip4000, without a doubt, but a great deal.

> Canon OEM carts:
> PG-211XL - $34.99 Can.$ -

PG-210XL @ 400 pages = 8.75c/page

Double the cartridge cost of your IP4000 with less yield
Assumign US prices.

> CL211XL  -$27.99    - $53.00
@ 329p yield 16.1c/page
vs
BCI-6 @ $15 x 3 = 15c/page plus black which is seldom used. And given
the CL211XL prints three colors to make black, the IP4000 is without a
doubt the better deal.

> Of course a lot depends on how many ml's is in the carts. 16 ml's is going
> to print more pages than 13 ml. But the MP 480 is cheaper carts.

I think 16ml is for the regular sized cartridge. And we're talking
16ml of three colors, so 5.3ml of each color.

You already have a printer that is cheap to maintain. A newer printer
will cost you more.

Mary

Jun 4, 2009, 12:03:20 PM6/4/09
"Burt" <nos...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

<snip>

Don't feel badly for me Burt. I don't beat myself up with all the research
I do. like to do research. It helps me make up my mind when I have several
ways I can go. I collect information and for me, the more information I have
the better, though for you or others it may be too much information. For me,
its not.

> By the way, I have read that certain of the HP printers do print more
pages
> per ml. than some other printers. It may have something to do with the
> construction of the cart and recapture of ink that otherwise goes into the
> waste ink pad in Epson and Canon printers. Don't hold me to that
> explanation as my only experience with HP printers has been with several
> monocolor black laser HP printers.

I value your opinion Burt and will consider what you have said. You always
give good information. I consider what people say to me, though It all
helps me decide what I want to do, then I make my decisions.. Thanks for
your help.

Mary

Mary

Jun 4, 2009, 1:06:28 PM6/4/09
wrote in message

On Jun 3, 10:08 pm, "Mary" <nos...@invalid.swl> wrote:
> I am not so interested in yields because I do not usually print a lot of
> stuff, but sometimes I print photos and thats when I use a lot of ink. I
am
> much more interested in the price of cartridges than the yield. For me, I
> want to try to find a printer which is fairly reasonably priced, though to
> me ALL ink cartridges are expensive. I can't afford to lay out a lot of
> money at one time which was what I told you before. I am interested in
costs
> to maintain a printer and that means cartridges.

>>But the yields determine how often you BUY cartridges.

Yes,but so does how much printing you and the price of cartridges you can
afford. Thats what I look at. I don't print a lot, though sometimes do, and
I don't want to go into all the details of how many pages, how many yields,
etc. Right or wrong to you, I do my own calculations.

>>You're right, I print more than you. I burn though about 30-60 color
cartridges/year. But I spend an less than you do by a couple orders
of magnitude because I buy OEM cartridges and refill them.

Thats up to you. You print a lot.

>About 4 black refills, and about 4 color refills of each color. CDN
$20 plus shipping, so let's say $30. It's a good deal.

That is ok if you want to refill. I don't. I can't say I will never ever
refill, but it would be my last resort. Its too much trouble, though for you
and others its fine.

Maybe. I am not sure about that. I don't have enough information on HP OEM
ink.

>BUT without a doubt, buying OEM ink the HP will cost more. The HP
costs twice as much to print text, triple as much if you buy the
regular cartridges.

Remanufactured ink carts would be cheaper.

But here's the kicker, you're the sort of user who's looking at per
tank cost rather than cost per page. You already have a ip4000 which
has a TON of aftermarket INK in cartridges READY to go.

I am not asking about Canon IP4000. I am asking about an HP 4345 and that
was what my original post was about.
I want another printer and will probably keep the IP4000 for now at least.

> I saw an ad today for the Canon MP 480 sometimes on sale here for $69.00.
> Its a 3 in 1 and prices for the carts don't seem so expensive. I don't
know
> anything about this printer.

>>It's the same deal as last year. It'll cost MORE to print with the
mp480 than the ip4000, without a doubt, but a great deal.

> Canon OEM carts:
> PG-211XL - $34.99 Can.$ -
PG-210XL @ 400 pages = 8.75c/page

Double the cartridge cost of your IP4000 with less yield
Assumign US prices.

> CL211XL -$27.99 - $53.00
@ 329p yield 16.1c/page
vs
BCI-6 @ $15 x 3 = 15c/page plus black which is seldom used. And given
the CL211XL prints three colors to make black, the IP4000 is without a
doubt the better deal.

I am not asking about the IP4000.

> Of course a lot depends on how many ml's is in the carts. 16 ml's is going
> to print more pages than 13 ml. But the MP 480 is cheaper carts.

I think 16ml is for the regular sized cartridge. And we're talking
16ml of three colors, so 5.3ml of each color.

>You already have a printer that is cheap to maintain. A newer printer
>will cost you more.

You have already given me your opinion on this several times. I want another
printer as well. Is anything wrong with that?
Thanks for your comments and opinion. You have given me a lot of
information.

Mary

measekite

Jun 4, 2009, 4:43:49 PM6/4/09

And that World is in Outer Space since it is crap.

> Unfortunately, purchasing the ones from a place like Staples isn't that much
> of a savings over OEM carts, and buying them from a vendor online may get
> you decent carts or not. The ones that I've heard are decent are G&G
> cart

You never know what is decent until it is too late.

s. If no one on this newsgroup can tell you where to by them you can
> check out Neil Slade's web site on inks and printers and see where he

Now that is a real cult.

> buys them. My preference is to know the producer of the ink I put into

And that is impossible. None of the fly by nites will tell you what you
are buying and when they change their own suppliers to save a dime.

> my printer and that is why I refill OEM canon carts with Image
> Specialist inks from Precision Colors in Canada. The absolute least

He does not know what he uses because that company does not publish their
sources. Go on their website and see for your self. They will not even
say when they change suppliers.

> cost you will have will be to purchase a new printhead for your ip4000
> and refill carts for about $1 per cart. Otherwise you are going to buy
> either OEM carts for a new printer or try to find aftermarket carts that
> work well and have decent color balance for photos. There is also a

Trying is not doing it.

> remote possibility that your printhead can be cleaned with additional
> efforts. I already referred you to the nifty-stuff forum site where
> there is more information on cleaning a printhead.
>
> I feel badly that you keep circling around the issue and continue to
> beat yourself up with all the research you are doing.

There is nothing else to do.

Frank

Jun 4, 2009, 5:17:15 PM6/4/09
measekite wrote:

>> The ip4000 printer has a world of aftermarket prefilled carts.
>
> And that World is in Outer Space since it is crap.

How do you know seeing as how you've never, ever used any after market
inks/carts according to you?
So lets stop this lying bullshit from your stupid mouth right now.
Either fees up to your constant lies or else just STFU and leave!
Get it asshole?

<--deleted the rest of this austrian fascist atheist lies as a public
service-->

TJ

Jun 4, 2009, 9:49:07 PM6/4/09
Mary wrote:

> I am not asking about Canon IP4000. I am asking about an HP 4345 and that
> was what my original post was about.
> I want another printer and will probably keep the IP4000 for now at least.

AH-HA! I, for one, misunderstood the intent of your original post. Could
be others did as well. I thought you were looking to replace the IP4000,
not back it up. That makes a difference in the way one looks at things.

I have two working HP printers, a Deskjet 5650, and an Officejet 6110.
Both use the #56 and #57 carts. I picked up the 5650 at a church sale
for free as a backup for my then main printer, a PSC 2110 that was
showing signs of potential failure. I did have to buy a $15 power supply
for the 5650 before I could use it, but that was all. It made a nice
backup because it used the same cartridges as the PSC.

A few months later the PSC did fail. (The scanner bulb failed to
initialize. Come to think of it, that's the problem with using an AIO.
Scanner bulbs don't last forever, and if the bulb goes out or gets too
dim to initialize your printer is gone, too.) The 5650 was able to step
right in and take over all printing tasks, except those related to the
scanner. That was the reason I bought the Officejet 6110 - on eBay. I
had become used to being able to make copies at the touch of a button,
and my Visioneer scanner won't work with Linux. The 6110 scanner works
perfectly with Linux, and if I use the sheet feeder I can make
legal-size copies and scans, too. As I said before, I refill my own
carts, so the cost per page is nearly negligible.

So now the 5650 is my "main" printer, and the 6110 is my backup...
except that I use the 6110 now and again to make a copy or scan
something. One piece of advice, if you're going to use the HP as a
backup, ready to step in if the Canon fails... Based on my experience
with my HPs, you'll want to print a page with that printer at least once
a month to keep the printhead clear - more often if the humidity is low.
And it doesn't matter if you're using OEM or aftermarket ink. Both take
about the same amount of idle time to dry up.

TJ

Burt

Jun 4, 2009, 11:35:12 PM6/4/09

> "(snip)>

> I am not asking about Canon IP4000. I am asking about an HP 4345 and that
> was what my original post was about.
> I want another printer and will probably keep the IP4000 for now at least.
(snip)

Mary - if you are keeping the ip4000 as a backup you will need to print
something in color fairly frequently or the printhead will get clogged. A
friend of mine has an ip5000 which he let sit too long while using another
printer he had purchased. The printhead became fatally clogged! I took a
printhead from one of my ip5000 printers and checked his printer and it
functioned perfectly. If he buys a new printhead for it for about $45 - $50
he will have an excellent functioning printer. If he lets it sit unused for
a long period of time he will have the same problem again.

TJ mentioned the same issue with an HP with the printhead integrated into
each cart. The good news there, however, is that if a cart/printhead
becomes clogged you just buy another cart. A low volume user with two
inkjet printers has to stay on top of this issue to keep both functioning
well.

Mary

Jun 5, 2009, 12:19:30 AM6/5/09

> "Mary" <nos...@invalid.swl> wrote in message
> > "(snip)>
> > I am not asking about Canon IP4000. I am asking about an HP 4345 and
that
> > was what my original post was about.
> > I want another printer and will probably keep the IP4000 for now at
least.
> (snip)
>
> Mary - if you are keeping the ip4000 as a backup you will need to print
> something in color fairly frequently or the printhead will get clogged. A
> friend of mine has an ip5000 which he let sit too long while using another
> printer he had purchased. The printhead became fatally clogged! I took
> printhead from one of my ip5000 printers and checked his printer and it
> functioned perfectly. If he buys a new printhead for it for about $45 -
$50
> he will have an excellent functioning printer. If he lets it sit unused
for
> a long period of time he will have the same problem again.

Burt - I think you are right about not letting the printer sit too long.
Doesn't Canon and Epson tend to do the same thing to their printhead if you
don't use them fairly frequently. When you say fairly frequently do you mean
once a week and print a few sheets of paper in color and black? And yes, I
will likely keep the IP4000 as a backup.

> TJ mentioned the same issue with an HP with the printhead integrated into
> each cart. The good news there, however, is that if a cart/printhead
> becomes clogged you just buy another cart. A low volume user with two
> inkjet printers has to stay on top of this issue to keep both functioning
> well.

Thats what I had in mind but wasn't sure if it was a good idea but I think
it could work out OK. The IP4000 is a good printer, but the HP I am
considering, may be ok for what I want it to do. It has a photocopier which
would be handy, and a scanner and a fax, though I wouldn't use the fax or at
least very rarely. It just happened to have one. Its one of the more compact
printers as I don't have a lot of room. Thanks Burt.

Mary

IntergalacticExpandingPanda

Jun 5, 2009, 1:25:46 AM6/5/09
On Jun 4, 10:06 am, "Mary" <nos...@invalid.swl> wrote:

> You have already given me your opinion on this several times. I want another
> printer as well. Is anything wrong with that?
> Thanks for your comments and opinion. You have given me a lot of
> information.

There is nothing wrong with wanting another printer. But another
printer isn't going to be as cheap to maintain as the ip4000.
Refilling yourself, buying bulk ink from Precision colors, works out
to be CDN $2.11 per big black, and $1.20 per color tank. Prefilled
cartridges start at double this.

Keep in mind that newer printers tend to have higher costs.

-----Now there is the Kodak Easyshare AIO printer-----

http://www.ca.buy.com/prod/COMBO_COLOR_INK_BLACK_INK_CARTRIDGE/q/loc/59205/211083147.html

You'll have to check out Canadian prices but if buy.ca is accurate you
can get a black for about CDN$9. The yield is about 400p putting it
on par with the ip4000 in terms of raw cost. The color cartridge is
around USD$15 but buy.ca claims you can get a par for $18.

Staples.ca says $10 for the black, $15 for the color, $23 for the
combo set.

Black 400p @ $10 =2.5c/page CDN

http://www.ca.buy.com/prod/Kodak_Easyshare_5300_Multifunction_Photo_Printer_Color_Inkjet_32_ppm_Mo/q/loc/59205/210479353.html

The 5300 is technically an older model, but the price is right at
$110. http://printers.kodak.com/

I know nothing about these printers. I thought about them, I even
went so far as to ask for samples from Kodak. They don't offer
samples.

I don't expect getting the color tank for much less than $15
aftermarket. Maybe $9.00, perhaps as low as $5. This is just a
guess. The color tank uses pigment ink which costs more than dye.

I've not used the printer, and there have been "some" complaints about
photos being over saturated.

For a Canadian, the price of ink is even MORE attractive since they
don't mark it up 20% higher. But I've not seen the printer in
action.

measekite

Jun 6, 2009, 1:02:30 AM6/6/09
On Thu, 04 Jun 2009 20:35:12 -0700, Burt wrote:

> "Mary" <nos...@invalid.swl> wrote in message
>> "(snip)>
>> I am not asking about Canon IP4000. I am asking about an HP 4345 and that
>> was what my original post was about.
>> I want another printer and will probably keep the IP4000 for now at least.
> (snip)
>
> Mary - if you are keeping the ip4000 as a backup you will need to print
> something in color fairly frequently or the printhead will get clogged.

That is a total fabrication and untrue. When using the Canon recommended
ink you can let the printer sit for at least up to a month and then print
something in color without a problem of issue. I have done this many
times and I do not consider that frequently.

Now if you use crap no name pseudo ink and are dumb enough to risk your
printer and waste your money than maybe you need to take these extreme
measures.

Many people who can afford to use good Canon ink can afford to take a
vacation for a month and they do not ruin their printers.

A friend of mine has an ip5000 which he let sit too long while using
> another printer he had purchased. The printhead became fatally clogged!
> I took a printhead from one of my ip5000 printers and checked his
> printer and it functioned perfectly. If he buys a new printhead for it
> for about $45 - $50 he will have an excellent functioning printer. If
> he lets it sit unused for a long period of time he will have the same
> problem again.

More proof of what noname inferior ink can do.

> TJ mentioned the same issue with an HP with the printhead integrated
> into each cart. The good news there, however, is that if a
> cart/printhead becomes clogged you just buy another cart. A low volume
> user with two inkjet printers has to stay on top of this issue to keep
> both functioning well.

TJ also uses inferior ink. I also have an hp and use hp ink and have let
it sit for over a month and have not problems.

measekite

Jun 6, 2009, 1:06:40 AM6/6/09

I am not sure he really knows what he means since he does not use a real
Canon printer as designed by Canon.

A real Canon printer uses a Canon branded cartridge with Canon branded
ink. I use this all of the time and have not problem after the printer
sits for a week.

Some Epson printer models have an issue and other models like the R series
do not and again we are talking about real Epson printers with factory
ink.

Most of the time you get what you pay for.

measekite

Jun 6, 2009, 1:11:26 AM6/6/09
On Thu, 04 Jun 2009 21:49:07 -0400, TJ wrote:

> Mary wrote:
>
>> I am not asking about Canon IP4000. I am asking about an HP 4345 and that
>> was what my original post was about.
>> I want another printer and will probably keep the IP4000 for now at least.
>>
> AH-HA! I, for one, misunderstood the intent of your original post. Could

Me too. Over about 20 posts it seems one time it is vanilla and the next
time it is chocolate and the next time everything seems encrypted.

> be others did as well. I thought you were looking to replace the IP4000,
> not back it up. That makes a difference in the way one looks at
> things.

Why would anybody want to back up a printer with one that has the same
functionality on anything that is not mission critical.

Frank

Jun 6, 2009, 1:11:48 AM6/6/09
measher-shit-head, the lying oem ink drinking loser wrote:
<---deleted this assholes diatribe
Re: lies, as a public service-->

STFU you lying POS of useless shit!

Frank

Jun 6, 2009, 1:14:21 AM6/6/09
measher-shit-head, the lying oem ink drinking fool wrote:

>> Mary - if you are keeping the ip4000 as a backup you will need to print
>> something in color fairly frequently or the printhead will get clogged.
>>

> That is a total fabrication and untrue.

Liar!

When using the Canon recommended
> ink you can let the printer sit for at least up to a month and then print
> something in color without a problem of issue.

Liar!

I have done this many
> times and I do not consider that frequently.

More of your lies!

> Now if you use crap no name pseudo ink and are dumb enough to risk your
> printer and waste your money than maybe you need to take these extreme
> measures.

Even more of your lies!

> Many people who can afford to use good Canon ink can afford to take a
> vacation for a month and they do not ruin their printers.

You are a pathological liar. Get some help measher-shit-head!
Oh and STFU!