Boss

Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)

Jan 22, 2018, 12:44:13 AM1/22/18
I'm experimenting with BOSS. This is a VAX-era program which allows one
to switch between multiple processes. One can even be logged in as
different users and switch between them. I suppose that in the day it
was something like a poor-man's terminal server, but my idea now is to
use it to allow more than one session when logged into my cluster via a
VT220 emulator on an iPad. :-)

It is impressive how powerful it is!

Is there a way to use /START_PROCESS to start a top-level process?

MG

Jan 22, 2018, 7:29:49 AM1/22/18
Op 22-jan-2018 om 06:44 schreef Phillip Helbig (undress to reply):
> I'm experimenting with BOSS. This is a VAX-era program which allows one
> to switch between multiple processes. One can even be logged in as
> different users and switch between them. I suppose that in the day it
> was something like a poor-man's terminal server, but my idea now is to
> use it to allow more than one session when logged into my cluster via a
> VT220 emulator on an iPad. :-)
>
> It is impressive how powerful it is!

You only found out about it only now? I used it all the time.
(Especially on remote sessions, like when I was logged onto
e.g. Deathrow.)

I thought it was one of those programs that most people who
used VMS for a while knew about...

- MG

Hunter Goatley

Jan 22, 2018, 10:18:05 AM1/22/18
On 1/21/2018 11:44 PM, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:

> Is there a way to use /START_PROCESS to start a top-level process?

No, at least not as it's written. The processes are created by calling
LIB$SPAWN. It could probably be modified to call $CREPRC instead, but I
don't know what else would be required.

--
Hunter
------

Stephen Hoffman

Jan 22, 2018, 12:06:15 PM1/22/18
On 2018-01-22 05:44:11 +0000, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply said:

> I'm experimenting with BOSS. This is a VAX-era program which allows
> one to switch between multiple processes.

screen and tmux are the equivalents, and these are available on most
recent systems...
https://www.gnu.org/software/screen/
https://github.com/tmux/tmux/wiki

Maybe minicom, which is handy if you need remote access to serial consoles.
https://alioth.debian.org/projects/minicom

Some other toys...
https://github.com/skavanagh/KeyBox
http://onethingwell.org/post/2924103615/reptyr
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/move-running-process-screen-bruce-werdschinski
https://github.com/jtesta/ssh-mitm
http://ganglia.info
https://docs.saltstack.com/en/latest/

Some folks at DEC used the SSU session support utility and sometimes
long timeouts on disconnected virtual terminals akin to what BOSS
provides, but that and thoughts akin to BOSS largely disappeared when
workstations arrived (with multiple windows and/or tabs) and as screen
and later tmux became available. OpenVMS stopped being the front end
system (though you're still using it that way), and the available
clients had and have better capabilities.

--
Pure Personal Opinion | HoffmanLabs LLC

Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)

Jan 22, 2018, 4:39:52 PM1/22/18
In article <5a65d93b$0$10090$e4fe...@news.xs4all.nl>, MG
I've known that it existed for a long time, but have never had any need
until now. I started out with a dumb terminal but connected to a
terminal server, so I had multiple sessions via the terminal server. I
then moved to a graphics monitor, CDE, DECwindows, and so on, so had
multiple windows. I have terminals at home, but mostly as serial
consoles. So, I've never had a need for BOSS until now.

Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)

Jan 22, 2018, 4:48:27 PM1/22/18
In article <p44vba$me5$1...@dont-email.me>, Hunter Goatley
<goath...@goatley.com> writes:

> > Is there a way to use /START_PROCESS to start a top-level process?
>
> No, at least not as it's written. The processes are created by calling
> LIB$SPAWN. It could probably be modified to call $CREPRC instead, but I
> don't know what else would be required.

If you're ever bored and looking for something to do.... :-D

It's not a big deal. I can have "SET HOST/LAST <SERVICE> as the stuff
string, which has essentially the same effect.

I probably need to change the BOSS escape character, though, since
CTRL-\ is the escape sequence for LAT connections. OK, I could use
TCPIP, but a common reason to log in on another node is to start or stop
some TCPIP stuff. I could use DECnet, but I don't have that running.
(Another thing I haven't needed; it's on my list of things to do.)

Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)

Jan 22, 2018, 4:57:51 PM1/22/18
Can I call BOSS from a (sub)process within BOSS without becoming John
Malkovich?

Bob Koehler

Jan 23, 2018, 9:09:28 AM1/23/18
In article <p45ln3$1fs1$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, hel...@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)) writes:

> I've known that it existed for a long time, but have never had any need
> until now. I started out with a dumb terminal but connected to a
> terminal server, so I had multiple sessions via the terminal server. I
> then moved to a graphics monitor, CDE, DECwindows, and so on, so had
> multiple windows. I have terminals at home, but mostly as serial
> consoles. So, I've never had a need for BOSS until now.

I've used DCL and TPU features to have EVE asa a kept editor, just
spawning the editor and then attaching to whichever process I needed.

The ability to define keys in both TPU and DCL made this trivial to
use. Never saw a need for a commercial product, although I did have
a couple demos and a one nasty sales call.

Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)

Jan 23, 2018, 3:19:23 PM1/23/18
In article <nN4g6S...@eisner.encompasserve.org>,
koe...@eisner.nospam.decuserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes:

> I've used DCL and TPU features to have EVE asa a kept editor, just
> spawning the editor and then attaching to whichever process I needed.
>
> The ability to define keys in both TPU and DCL made this trivial to
> use. Never saw a need for a commercial product, although I did have
> a couple demos and a one nasty sales call.

One can also spawn out of EDT. :-)

With BOSS, I can attach to a process of a different user.

Bob Koehler

Jan 25, 2018, 11:17:04 AM1/25/18
In article <p485c8$1a6e$4...@gioia.aioe.org>, hel...@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)) writes:

> With BOSS, I can attach to a process of a different user.

Never needed that. But I know some people do.