HP educational licenses for OpenVMS

Robert Mehlman

Aug 10, 2017, 8:51:21 PM8/10/17
Does anyone know the status of the HP educational license program, or have
a working link to request new free license PAKs? I have administered these
licenses at UCLA for many years but the procedure I used in August of last
year seems not to work anymore. Last year's license PAKs will expire early
in September.

Stephen Hoffman

Aug 11, 2017, 3:28:17 PM8/11/17
I'd expect that the HPE educational license program has been
discontinued, as HPE discontinued the partner program last year. VSI
does have a partner program active and has discussed additional
programs, but I've not heard of any VSI educational or hobbyist
licensing programs starting to issue licenses.

Try contacting the HPE OpenVMS folks via the Hobbyist link (below) and
ask them whether the educational program is still available and for how
to obtain licenses, or try contact the VSI folks (below) and ask them
if they've started an educational program. The latter approach will
get you more current software, if they're interested in issuing the
necessary licenses.

https://www.hpe.com/h41268/live/index_e.aspx?qid=24548

in...@vmssoftware.com

I'd also ask the VSI folks for license and support quotes. From the
various VSI quotes I've been a party to, their prices are decent.

--
Pure Personal Opinion | HoffmanLabs LLC

Robert A. Brooks

Aug 11, 2017, 4:41:26 PM8/11/17
On 8/11/2017 3:28 PM, Stephen Hoffman wrote:
> On 2017-08-11 00:51:19 +0000, Robert Mehlman said:
>
>> Does anyone know the status of the HP educational license program,
>> or have a working link to request new free license PAKs? I have
>> administered these licenses at UCLA for many years but the
>> procedure I used in August of last year seems not to work anymore.
>> Last year's license PAKs will expire early in September.
>
> I'd expect that the HPE educational license program has been
> discontinued, as HPE discontinued the partner program last year.
> VSI does have a partner program active and has discussed additional
> programs, but I've not heard of any VSI educational or hobbyist
> licensing programs starting to issue licenses.

We (VSI) do have a CSLG-like program, although I'm not that familiar with
the specifics.

--

-- Rob

amp...@gmail.com

Aug 11, 2017, 11:31:54 PM8/11/17
I was able to get hobbyist OpenVMS and PAKs licenses in May of this year. I think the sign-up form I used is https://www.hpe.com/h41268/live/index_e.aspx?qid=24548 and there is also a sign-up form available at http://plato.ccsscorp.com/hobbyist_registration.php and I think that's the request form that I used. I used a DECUServe membership to qualify for the OpenVMS and PAKs licenses

At that time I was also able to download all of these for VAX:

ADA035.ZIP
BASIC_Compiler_39.zip
BLS32047.A
BLS32047.B
CC064.DCX_VAXEXE
CC064.ZIP
COBOL_Compiler_57.zip
CXX_Compiler_56c.zip
Datatrieve_72a2.zip
DCPS_27.zip
DEC-VAXVMS-DECNET_OSI-V0703--1.PCSI-ZIP
DEC-VAXVMS-DWMOTIF-V0102-6-1.PCSI-ZIP
DEC-VAXVMS-TCPIP-V0501-15-1.PCSI-ZIP
DECSET_122a.zip
F77_Compiler_66.zip
Pascal_Compiler_58.zip
PASCAL-VAX-V60-114.ZIP
VAXVMS 073 OS ISO.zip
VAXVMS-TCPIP-V0503.BCK
vaxvms-tcpip-v0503.bck.1
VAXVMS073.ZIP
VMS073LP.ZIP

and these for Alpha:

00 alpha_kit MD5 checksums.xlsx
ACMS_DEV_51B_ALPHA.ZIPEXE
acms_rt_51b_alpha.zipexe
ADA035.EXE
ALPHA084.ISO
ALPHA084LP1.ISO
ALPHA084LP2.ISO
basic_compiler_17.zip
browser_1112zip.zip
c_compiler_73.zip
CDRGEN-ALPHA083.IMG
cobol_compiler_29.zip
cxx_compiler_73.zip
decseteco1128.zip
DFO_V31_SSB.ZIP
FMSALPHA_KITS.ZIPEXE
fortran_compiler_82.zip
openvms_alpha_8_4_update500.zip
openvmsalphav84-tcp57eco5.zip
pascal_compiler_61.zip
unzip.exe
VMS84A_MANAGE-V0200.ZIPEXE

There is mention of the Educational VMS licensing program at https://www.hpe.com/us/en/servers/openvms/licensing.html and that page includes a link to a signup page for schools.

The email address that was used to communicate with me for the hobbyist licensing is openvmscustomerlab -a-t- hpe dot com .

Robert Mehlman

Aug 12, 2017, 7:04:29 PM8/12/17
Thanks to all who replied to my request. Before amp...@gmail.com replied, I
was able to get the hobbyist set of PAKs via the first of his two links, which
I had discovered already. There was some difficulty getting my information
across through that link, but a second try was successful. I suspect the 2nd
link, which looks more recent, would work better. I did try a link to sign up
a school for EDU licenses but had heard nothing. It's also good to know you can
get zip files of software as amp described, since I'm still running VMS 8.3.

Joukj

Aug 14, 2017, 2:44:11 AM8/14/17
Robert A. Brooks wrote:

> We (VSI) do have a CSLG-like program, although I'm not that familiar with
> the specifics.

Can someone point me to where I con find more information on this program?

Regards
Jouk

Bill Gunshannon

Aug 14, 2017, 7:32:06 AM8/14/17
Although I am no longer at the University and they don't use VMS
anymore either, having tried to work (unsuccessfully) with HP on
a reasonable EDU program I, too, would be interested in seeing
what the program looked like.

bill

Robert A. Brooks

Aug 14, 2017, 10:06:22 AM8/14/17
My guess is that our program is similar to HP's.

What didn't you like about the HP CSLG program?

For information on the VSI CSLG program, please email info at vmssoftware.com

--
-- Rob

Bill Gunshannon

Aug 14, 2017, 4:00:40 PM8/14/17
CSLG was nice. But it went away before HP even came into the
picture. The HP EDU Program had no similarity to CSLG.

It had requirements that would make the University lawyer
cringe. If someone chose to not run it by the lawyers at
all they would likely just violate it and not care.
Which is what I assume most did.

bill