Large Qty of rx2800 i2 in stock NOW

David Turner

Jul 21, 2015, 2:58:19 AM7/21/15
FYi we have received quite a large qty of HP Integrity rx2800 i2 Servers
All come with rack kits, and can be configured with all options and
OpenVMS licenses

Let me know if you are interested

Pricing for these OpenVMS specials is not on our website yet, but
pricing starts at $6000 each

Regards to all

David Turner
Island Computers
www.islandco.om
877 636 4332

Neil Rieck

Jul 21, 2015, 7:43:31 AM7/21/15
There was once a time when I thought that most companies (with access to their own source code) could "not afford to stay on VAX". I now think the same of Alpha since my current Itanium porting efforts appear relatively painless.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/docs/itanium_diary.html#porting

ps. we are moving from an AS-DS20e to an rx2800-i2

Neil Rieck
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.

Jan-Erik Soderholm

Jul 21, 2015, 8:12:49 AM7/21/15
Den 2015-07-21 kl. 13:43, skrev Neil Rieck:
> On Tuesday, July 21, 2015 at 2:58:19 AM UTC-4, David, Island Computers
> wrote:
>> FYi we have received quite a large qty of HP Integrity rx2800 i2
>> Servers All come with rack kits, and can be configured with all
>> options and OpenVMS licenses
>>
>> Let me know if you are interested
>>
>> Pricing for these OpenVMS specials is not on our website yet, but
>> pricing starts at $6000 each
>>

>> Regards to all
>>
>> David Turner Island Computers www.islandco.om 877 636 4332
>
> There was once a time when I thought that most companies (with access to
> their own source code) could "not afford to stay on VAX". I now think
> the same of Alpha since my current Itanium porting efforts appear
> relatively painless.
>
> http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/docs/itanium_diary.html#porting

Yes, I know it is not the first time that link is posted, but
I must say thank you for a well written page with a lot of
good information.

Jan-Erik.

abrsvc

Jul 21, 2015, 8:13:56 AM7/21/15
I would tend to agree with you. I have ported a couple of application systems recently from Alpha to the IA64 platform with little effort.

1) Fortran/MaCRO32 based system - Most of the time was spent removing "old" style constructs no longer supported by modern compilers. As an example: the Octal constant format no longer supported by Fortran90 compiler.

2) MACRO32 code changes - Support for 64 bit was never implemented in the Alpha code which required the use of old RTL .EXE files. (Not supported). Some time was required to update the MACRO code to use the new 64 bit structures and thus the new and supported RTLs.

Other than the above, there were no changes required in the source code. I would think that for applications not rooted in true legacy code would be even easier. The applications I ported recently were each over 25 years in the making with lots of code from the "early" years, some form PDP11 days.
Dan

Hein RMS van den Heuvel

Jul 27, 2015, 8:59:11 AM7/27/15
Good notes.
Nice pics. Notably the Dream Machine (I recognize that table :-).