product not installing

Bill Cunningham

Sep 27, 2016, 3:43:36 PM9/27/16
I have copied into the directory dua0:[000000] a product called cc064.a
and one called cc064.b. Version 6.4 of the C compiler. I try to run
vmsinstal to install or attempt to install the kit. It will not work because
I am sure the memory pages aren't set correctly but I will get to that. I am
merely trying to get vmsinstal to work.

I type '@sys$update:vmsinstall cc064.a' and vmsinstal attempts to
install.

It wants to know if I am satiffied with my backup I answer 'yes' the
default. It asks where the product kit is.

I respond dua0:[000000] the MFD were the kit is. vmsinstal responds it
can't find it. I am ethier in the directory dua0:[000000] or [sysmgr]
directory which also has a logical name. I also notice shutdown doesn't work
after this. What am I doing wrong?

Bill

Bob Koehler

Sep 27, 2016, 4:14:46 PM9/27/16
You do not have a product called cc064.a or cc064.b. You have two
files by those names.

cc064.a and cc064.b are not product names. They are file names for the
files used in installing a product called CC064 .

hb

Sep 27, 2016, 4:26:36 PM9/27/16
You copied the save sets CC064.A and CC064.B of the product CC version
064 aka 6.4. VMSINSTAL expects the product name with or without the
version, which is CC064 or CC - not a save set file name.

But I can only guess, as you didn't really show what you typed and what
was printed on the screen: a '@sys$update:vmsinstall' will give an
%DCL-E-OPENIN, error opening SYS$SYSROOT:[SYSUPD]VMSINSTALL.COM; as input
-RMS-E-FNF, file not found
So how can I know what you entered as the product name?

Shutdown works as expected, only the symbol 'shutdown' was deleted, the
symbol which - guessing again - you used to run sys$system:shutdown.com.
After running VMSINSTAL there is no longer such a symbol because
VMSINSTAL deletes all global symbols not defined by VMS or VMSINSTAL.
Log out after running VMSINSTAL and log in again, then you have all
these symbols defined, again, including the 'shutdown' one.

Jan-Erik Soderholm

Sep 27, 2016, 4:31:03 PM9/27/16
1. VMSINSTAL is with one "L", never been with two.

2. Try: '@sys$update:vmsinstal cc064', VMSINSTAL will add .a and so on.

Bill Cunningham

Sep 27, 2016, 4:42:21 PM9/27/16

"Bob Koehler" <koe...@eisner.nospam.decuserve.org> wrote in message

> You do not have a product called cc064.a or cc064.b. You have two
> files by those names.
>
> cc064.a and cc064.b are not product names. They are file names for the
> files used in installing a product called CC064 .

Oh ok I see. Yes there was a typo vmsinstal there's never been two l's.
Then I typed cc064.a so I need to leave that extension of .a off. I will see
if it wishes to proceed further.

Bill

Bill Cunningham

Sep 27, 2016, 4:51:15 PM9/27/16

"Bob Koehler" <koe...@eisner.nospam.decuserve.org> wrote in message
It says error not a backup set and cc064.a is not a saveset. The text
files with the c compiler zip file mentions several texts some of which the
names have either been changed or they are not in the zip file. Seems I will
not another file(s).

Bill

Jan-Erik Soderholm

Sep 27, 2016, 5:00:24 PM9/27/16
You can always verify that by:

$ backup /list dua0:[000000]cc064.a/save

If not a saveset, you will get a "%BACKUP-F-NOTSAVESET" message.

If it is a saveset, you will get a list of files in it...

Steven Schweda

Sep 27, 2016, 5:36:16 PM9/27/16
> I type '@sys$update:vmsinstall cc064.a' and vmsinstal
> attempts to install.

As with many (most?) DEC/Compaq/HP[E] products, there is
an Installation Guide for this one.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/servers/openvms/documents.html#&pd1=1

Of course, many of the links there are broken, but you can
usually find a title, and then a normal Web search will
usually find it. For example:

http://h41379.www4.hpe.com/commercial/c/docs/igvax.htm

> It says error not a backup set and cc064.a is not a
> saveset.

As usual, showing the actual command with its actual
output can be more helpful than vague descriptions or
interpretations.

> The text files with the c compiler zip file mentions
> several texts some of which the names have either been
> changed or they are not in the zip file.

Which "The text files"? What do they actually say?

> Seems I will not another file(s).

Eh?

> I have copied into the directory dua0:[000000] a product
> called cc064.a and one called cc064.b. [...]

You "copied" these files how, exactly? Files on VMS have
attributes. Not all methods of copying files preserve those
attributes. BACKUP is especially sensitive to the attributes
of save sets.

VAXman-

Sep 27, 2016, 7:35:43 PM9/27/16
In article <nsei4s$h9h$1...@dont-email.me>, "Bill Cunningham" <nos...@nspam.invalid> writes:
$ @sys$update:vmsinstall cc064 dua0:[000000]

Jan-Erik Soderholm

Sep 28, 2016, 4:46:54 AM9/28/16
Den 2016-09-28 kl. 01:35, skrev VAX...@SendSpamHere.ORG:
> In article <nsei4s$h9h$1...@dont-email.me>, "Bill Cunningham" <nos...@nspam.invalid> writes:
>> I have copied into the directory dua0:[000000] a product called cc064.a
>> and one called cc064.b. Version 6.4 of the C compiler. I try to run
>> vmsinstal to install or attempt to install the kit. It will not work because
>> I am sure the memory pages aren't set correctly but I will get to that. I am
>> merely trying to get vmsinstal to work.
>>
>> I type '@sys$update:vmsinstall cc064.a' and vmsinstal attempts to
>> install.
>>
>> It wants to know if I am satiffied with my backup I answer 'yes' the
>> default. It asks where the product kit is.
>>
>> I respond dua0:[000000] the MFD were the kit is. vmsinstal responds it
>> can't find it. I am ethier in the directory dua0:[000000] or [sysmgr]
>> directory which also has a logical name. I also notice shutdown doesn't work
>> after this. What am I doing wrong?
>>
>> Bill
>

> $ @sys$update:vmsinstall cc064 dua0:[000000]

$ @sys$update:vmsinstal cc064 dua0:[000000]

VAXman-

Sep 28, 2016, 7:58:28 AM9/28/16
Oops, I was typing from the touch screen keyboard of my tablet.

Paul Sture

Sep 28, 2016, 8:10:49 AM9/28/16
Autocorrect bites again :-(

--
It said I needed to have eight characters for my password.
So I chose Snow White and the seven dwarves.

Jan-Erik Soderholm

Sep 28, 2016, 8:25:05 AM9/28/16
Just the wrong language/word list loaded... :-)

Use "English (OpenVMS)" instead of "English (UK)" or "English (US)". :-)

Bob Koehler

Sep 28, 2016, 9:54:04 AM9/28/16
In article <nsem3n$vlp$1...@dont-email.me>, "Bill Cunningham" <nos...@nspam.invalid> writes:

> It says error not a backup set and cc064.a is not a saveset. The text
> files with the c compiler zip file mentions several texts some of which the
> names have either been changed or they are not in the zip file. Seems I will
> not another file(s).

The file system you downloaded from, or the technique you used to
download the files may have disturbed file metadata needed by BACKUP.
There are lots of FAQ entires on this one.

VAXman-

Sep 28, 2016, 1:10:18 PM9/28/16
Probably more "key bounce" than auto-correct. I often have to go back and
delete Cs and Ms due to hitting them and not the small "space bar" that is
provided.

Bill Cunningham

Sep 28, 2016, 1:32:22 PM9/28/16

<VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG> wrote in message
I knew what you meant :)

Bill Cunningham

Sep 28, 2016, 1:49:25 PM9/28/16

"Steven Schweda" <sms.an...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> I type '@sys$update:vmsinstall cc064.a' and vmsinstal
>> attempts to install.
>
> As with many (most?) DEC/Compaq/HP[E] products, there is
> an Installation Guide for this one.
>
> http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/servers/openvms/documents.html#&pd1=1
>
> Of course, many of the links there are broken, but you can
> usually find a title, and then a normal Web search will
> usually find it. For example:
>
> http://h41379.www4.hpe.com/commercial/c/docs/igvax.htm
>
>> It says error not a backup set and cc064.a is not a
>> saveset.
>
> As usual, showing the actual command with its actual
> output can be more helpful than vague descriptions or
> interpretations.
>
>> The text files with the c compiler zip file mentions
>> several texts some of which the names have either been
>> changed or they are not in the zip file.
>
> Which "The text files"? What do they actually say?
>
>> Seems I will not another file(s).
>
> Eh?

Need, Steven. Need. Those accursed typos.

>> I have copied into the directory dua0:[000000] a product
>> called cc064.a and one called cc064.b. [...]
>
> You "copied" these files how, exactly? Files on VMS have
> attributes. Not all methods of copying files preserve those
> attributes. BACKUP is especially sensitive to the attributes
> of save sets.

I realize the attribs can be changed. Yes that happens when I copy the
license into the vms via simh. I reset the attribs. I supposed that could be
the case here too.

Bill

Bill Cunningham

Sep 28, 2016, 2:20:44 PM9/28/16

> The file system you downloaded from, or the technique you used to
> download the files may have disturbed file metadata needed by BACKUP.
> There are lots of FAQ entires on this one.

Hum. I googled comp.os.vms faqs and got several sources. Hoff has some
good FAQs IDK if will help me or not. Is there an official faqs for c.o.v ?
I'm not seeing anything specific.

Bill

Bill Cunningham

Sep 28, 2016, 3:46:56 PM9/28/16

> $ @sys$update:vmsinstall cc064 dua0:[000000]

I will copy from the log what that gets me,

$ @sys$update:vmsinstal cc064 dua0:[000000]

OpenVMS VAX Software Product Installation Procedure V7.3

It is 28-SEP-2016 at 15:41.

Enter a question mark (?) at any time for help.

* Are you satisfied with the backup of your system disk [YES]?

The following products will be processed:

CC V6.4

Beginning installation of CC V6.4 at 15:41

%VMSINSTAL-I-RESTORE, Restoring product save set A ...
%BACKUP-F-NOTSAVESET, DUA0:[000000]CC064.A;1 is not a BACKUP save set
%VMSINSTAL-E-NOSAVESET, Save set A cannot be restored.

VMSINSTAL procedure done at 15:42

Steven Schweda

Sep 28, 2016, 4:50:10 PM9/28/16
> %BACKUP-F-NOTSAVESET, DUA0:[000000]CC064.A;1 is not a BACKUP save set
> %VMSINSTAL-E-NOSAVESET, Save set A cannot be restored.

Apparently, CC064.A (and, I'd guess, CC064.B) got damaged.

> You "copied" these files how, exactly?

Still wondering.

You might get better results with more ease if you could
get a working UnZip executable onto the VMS system, and
unpack the product.zip kits there. The part of the OS which
actually runs a program (image activator?) and UnZip itself
are both less fussy about file attributes than BACKUP is, so
a working UNZIP.EXE and product.zip kit may be easier to
arrange than a working BACKUP save set.

hb

Sep 28, 2016, 5:12:20 PM9/28/16
The output of $ DUMP/HEADER/BLOCK=COUNT=1 DUA0:[000000]CC064.%; should
show if the save sets are damaged or if the file attributes are wrong.

VAXman-

Sep 28, 2016, 5:32:20 PM9/28/16
In article <nsh6n3$mra$1...@dont-email.me>, "Bill Cunningham" <nos...@nspam.invalid> writes:

><VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG> wrote in message

>> $ @sys$update:vmsinstall cc064 dua0:[000000]
>
>I will copy from the log what that gets me,
>
>$ @sys$update:vmsinstal cc064 dua0:[000000]
>

> OpenVMS VAX Software Product Installation Procedure V7.3
>

>It is 28-SEP-2016 at 15:41.
>
>Enter a question mark (?) at any time for help.
>
>* Are you satisfied with the backup of your system disk [YES]?
>

>The following products will be processed:
>
> CC V6.4
>

> Beginning installation of CC V6.4 at 15:41
>
>%VMSINSTAL-I-RESTORE, Restoring product save set A ...
>%BACKUP-F-NOTSAVESET, DUA0:[000000]CC064.A;1 is not a BACKUP save set
>%VMSINSTAL-E-NOSAVESET, Save set A cannot be restored.
>

> VMSINSTAL procedure done at 15:42

This is a common problem with downloads. To where did you initially download
the files? I'm going to assume it wasn't to OpenVMS. These files were, IIRC,
in a .ZIP archive. Where did you UNZIP them? Again, I'll assume that too was
not on OpenVMS. You have the kit installation files but their format has been
corrupted.

You need to get the files as .ZIP archives and UNZIP them on OpenVMS. You can
find UNZIP for OpenVMS on various site on the web. In fact, I believe HP has
both ZIP and UNZIP for OpenVMS on its web site.

Henry Crun

Sep 28, 2016, 11:00:07 PM9/28/16
If your OpenVME is up-to-date, try BACKUP/RECOVER.
Otherwise, try the following:
<quote>
Fixing a BACKUP save-set file attributes:
How to figure out the record length of a BACKUP saveset.
(This assumes that you have SET FILE/ATT, which appeared with
VMS V6.0. If not, then get the Joe Meadows FILE utility.)
First, set the record size on the saveset to 2048 (the smallest
legal value for a BACKUP saveset):
$ SET FILE/ATTRIBUTE=(RFM:FIX,RAT:NONE,LRL:2048,MRS:2048) file.ext
Then do this:
$ BACKUP/ANALYZE/LIST/NOASSIST/NoCRC file.ext/SAVE
This may report some errors, but it should show you the
actual record size - e.g.
BLOCKSIZE = 10240
Then you can do this:
$ SET FILE/ATTRIBUTE=(LRL:size,MRS:size) file.ext
</quote>

--
Mike R.
Home: http://alpha.mike-r.com/

Steven Schweda

Sep 28, 2016, 11:31:31 PM9/28/16
> If your OpenVME is up-to-date, try BACKUP/RECOVER.

Or, if your OpenVMS is modern (and, so, not on a VAX) then
you might try BACKUP /REPAIR.

> Fixing a BACKUP save-set file attributes:
> [...]

Or, if you believe that a computer program could handle
some of that mess, then you might look for a copy of
RESET_BACKUP_SAVESET_FILE_ATTRIBUTES.COM
which may be available in many places. For example:

http://h41379.www4.hpe.com/openvms/freeware/backup.html
http://antinode.info/dec/sw/fixrec.html

Bill Cunningham

Sep 29, 2016, 12:01:23 PM9/29/16

>> %BACKUP-F-NOTSAVESET, DUA0:[000000]CC064.A;1 is not a BACKUP save set
>> %VMSINSTAL-E-NOSAVESET, Save set A cannot be restored.
>
> Apparently, CC064.A (and, I'd guess, CC064.B) got damaged.
>
>> You "copied" these files how, exactly?
>
> Still wondering.

See post infra.

Bill Cunningham

Sep 29, 2016, 12:05:52 PM9/29/16

"Henry Crun" <mi...@rechtman.com> wrote in message
Ok that's probably the problem. I unzip from linux. I use 'unzip -a' so
that text and binary are not altered at this point. Then use genisoimage -o
cc.iso CC064.A CC084.B into an ISO called cc.iso.

I attach that to simh as a cdrom. and mount it in vax as dua0 for
example. Mount it in VMS using mount /over=id dua0. Then go to that
directory and copy to VMS's MFD. So I will need to set the attribs. At least
I know I have the right file(s) being cc064.a and cc064.b.

Bill

Bill Cunningham

Sep 29, 2016, 12:16:47 PM9/29/16

"Bill Cunningham" <nos...@nspam.invalid> wrote in message
So9rry that of course should be CC064.B

hb

Sep 29, 2016, 12:36:52 PM9/29/16
On 09/29/2016 06:05 PM, Bill Cunningham wrote:
> I attach that to simh as a cdrom. and mount it in vax as dua0 for
> example. Mount it in VMS using mount /over=id dua0. Then go to that
> directory and copy to VMS's MFD. So I will need to set the attribs. At least
> I know I have the right file(s) being cc064.a and cc064.b.

You may want to try to mount the CD-ROM (image) with
/UNDEFINED_FAT=FIXED:NONE:32256. That should enable backup as well as
vmsinstal to access the CC064.% files on the CD-ROM.

Bill Cunningham

Sep 29, 2016, 12:43:31 PM9/29/16

"hb" <end...@inter.net> wrote in message news:nsjfv1$2em$1...@gioia.aioe.org...

> You may want to try to mount the CD-ROM (image) with
> /UNDEFINED_FAT=FIXED:NONE:32256. That should enable backup as well as
> vmsinstal to access the CC064.% files on the CD-ROM.

Humm. In following Henry's advice I ran that list option. The screen
scrolled and scrolled. Finally I halted it and there were errors and
repeated information. One thing, blocksize was 32256. So I set the attribs
to lrl and mrs (I believe, no familiar with the options there) to 32256. Run
vmsinstal and it worked like a charm. Then I came to what I expected. gbl
pages and memory values not set right. So I believe that is changed in
modparams.dat.

So so far it seems to be going, thanks to all.

Bill

Bill Cunningham

Sep 29, 2016, 12:46:37 PM9/29/16

"Steven Schweda" <sms.an...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Those links seem to work. But I have V7.3 so I don't think I need that
program. But I will look at them.

Bill

VAXman-

Sep 29, 2016, 1:18:44 PM9/29/16
...and that'll hork the record structure of the saveset as well as many other
OpenVMS type files (eg. indexed files).

> I attach that to simh as a cdrom. and mount it in vax as dua0 for
>example. Mount it in VMS using mount /over=id dua0. Then go to that
>directory and copy to VMS's MFD. So I will need to set the attribs. At least
>I know I have the right file(s) being cc064.a and cc064.b.

Move the .ZIP file(s) on your simh and then UNZIP them there. You'll then be
able to install.

Bill Cunningham

Sep 29, 2016, 1:47:54 PM9/29/16

> Move the .ZIP file(s) on your simh and then UNZIP them there. You'll then
> be
> able to install.

Ok I didn't know VMS had zip. But I can try it.

Steven Schweda

Sep 29, 2016, 2:40:18 PM9/29/16
> Ok I didn't know VMS had zip. But I can try it.

If you can find an OS which does _not_ have Info-ZIP Zip
and UnZip, then please notify the developers.

Normally, the fossil versions of the Info-ZIP executables
distributed by HP[E] are buggier than I'd choose, but almost
anything will work well enough to get the C compiler
installed, and then you can get less obsolete versions built.
(You still won't have some newer features (like large-file
support) on VAX, but having fewer bugs is possible anywhere.

VAXman-

Sep 29, 2016, 3:46:26 PM9/29/16
Both ZIP and UNZIP. ZIP has some special "switches" just for OpenVMS files
to preserve/record their file attributes so that, when UNZIPped, they can be
reconstructed properly.

Jan-Erik Soderholm

Sep 29, 2016, 5:11:22 PM9/29/16
VMS doesn't "has ZIP", but it can be downloaded. Sometimes there are
a copies on the same wen page where the CC kit was in the first place.

VAXman-

Sep 29, 2016, 6:34:34 PM9/29/16
Is that available on the world wide wen?

Bill Cunningham

Sep 30, 2016, 3:55:40 PM9/30/16

"Jan-Erik Soderholm" <jan-erik....@telia.com> wrote in message

> VMS doesn't "has ZIP", but it can be downloaded. Sometimes there are
> a copies on the same wen page where the CC kit was in the first place.

I logged into 'system' and I noticed that. There was no zip or unip for
vax at the download site HP gave me. It is accessable by ftp, sftp, dropbox
and a couple other ways. They don't want you giving this out per license
agreement. I guess they give it to everyone individually.

The C compiler pages to install is 100K blocks. This I am supposing has
nothing to do with modparams.dat and autogen. Because it speaks of using
'authorize'. Show device sys$sysdevice is used.

Now is this not a global pages or sections setting? What kind of
settings are changed by UAF> Authorize? I've never used it and I keep
reading and can simply copy the typed words, but IDK what I'm doing?

Bill

John Reagan

Sep 30, 2016, 4:44:24 PM9/30/16
On Friday, September 30, 2016 at 3:55:40 PM UTC-4, Bill Cunningham wrote:
> "Jan-Erik Soderholm" <> wrote in message
>
> > VMS doesn't "has ZIP", but it can be downloaded. Sometimes there are
> > a copies on the same wen page where the CC kit was in the first place.
>
> I logged into 'system' and I noticed that. There was no zip or unip for
> vax at the download site HP gave me. It is accessable by ftp, sftp, dropbox
> and a couple other ways. They don't want you giving this out per license
> agreement. I guess they give it to everyone individually.
>
> The C compiler pages to install is 100K blocks. This I am supposing has
> nothing to do with modparams.dat and autogen. Because it speaks of using
> 'authorize'. Show device sys$sysdevice is used.
>
> Now is this not a global pages or sections setting? What kind of
> settings are changed by UAF> Authorize? I've never used it and I keep
> reading and can simply copy the typed words, but IDK what I'm doing?
>
> Bill

There are several issues that the installation guide talks about:

1 - The actual number of disk blocks needed to install the compiler, the additional stuff in the help file, etc.
2 - The additional "global pages"/"global sections" if you decided to
install the compiler SHARED. In that case, VMS keeps additional information
in memory to reduce the overhead of repeated compilations by multiple people
on the system at the same time. You don't have to install the compiler SHARED
for it to work. It is the global pages/global sections that may require you
to modify MODPARAMS.DAT, run AUTOGEN, and reboot.

Steven Schweda

Sep 30, 2016, 5:38:06 PM9/30/16
I assume that this is yet another hopeless exercise, but
I'll give it a try.

> > VMS doesn't "has ZIP", but it can be downloaded. Sometimes there are
> > a copies on the same wen page where the CC kit was in the first place.
>
> I logged into 'system' and I noticed that.

You logged into _what_? As _user_ "system"? You noticed
_what_? That VMS doesn't include Info-ZIP programs? That
they can be downloaded? That there are copies near the C
compiler kit?

> There was no zip or unip for vax at the download site HP gave me.

Even if that's true, your Web search for, say:
vax unzip.exe
found nothing useful?

> It is accessable by ftp, sftp, dropbox and a couple other ways.

_What_ is?

> They don't want you giving this out per license agreement.

Who doesn't want whom to give out what why?

> I guess they give it to everyone individually.

You guess that who gives out what to whom?

> The C compiler pages to install is 100K blocks.

Huh? About _what_, exactly, are you talking? As usual,
showing actual commands with their actual output can be more
helpful than vague descriptions or interpretations.

> Now is this not a global pages or sections setting?

Huh? About _what_, exactly, are you talking?

Perhaps you should guess and suppose less, and use
pronouns less. You may know what you mean, but the
non-psychics in your audience may not. If you expect useful
answers, then asking intelligible questions may help. If
you're only blithering (blathering?), then you're poisoning
the well from which you may later wish to draw water.

> http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Like water off a duck's back. Do you have some kind of
mental disability which renders you unable to form a clear,
useful question or problem description?

Bill Cunningham

Oct 1, 2016, 2:22:27 PM10/1/16

> Like water off a duck's back. Do you have some kind of
> mental disability which renders you unable to form a clear,
> useful question or problem description?

Steven you might want to ask yourself why you seem to be the only ne here
that seems to have trouble undertanding what's being said. Course you might
have to look upthread.

Bill Cunningham

Oct 1, 2016, 2:53:56 PM10/1/16

"John Reagan" <xyzz...@gmail.com> wrote in message
OK great! I am the only one using my system. If I don't do anything
shared then I don't have to worry about UAF> and authorize then? If I am
understanding correctly. I am familiar with modparams.dat. But I have not
seen anything yet that would need to be changed there. what I am seeing with
80K and 100K is installation and blocks need for /simply having/ the
compiler around. Now are you saying I don't have to worry about that? I am
looking at the iguide. Somewhere in there surely it will mention what needs
to be down with modparams.dat. I will concentrate on that then.

Thx.

Bill Cunningham

Oct 1, 2016, 5:15:28 PM10/1/16

"John Reagan" <xyzz...@gmail.com> wrote in message
It's saying to use ,
dir/size sys$library:dcltables.exe

I guess I use what is listed there. And show device sys$device. I need 180K
for the installation of the compiler and docs. 120K to use them after the
installation. That seems to be my understanding. :)

Bill

Bill Cunningham

Oct 1, 2016, 5:38:06 PM10/1/16

"John Reagan" <xyzz...@gmail.com> wrote in message
OK John. IDK if I'm getting this right. sys$device is not defined I can
see. So I typed sh dev dua0: which I am mounted on.

Freeblocks are 2475639 then there are Tran blocks which if I remember right
is about 128. Then mnt count which is 1.

Now when I tried dir/size sys$library:dcltables.exe the size returned was
571. IDK if I'm on the right track here.
So I think I might be off on something here. I don't want to install
shared. How can I manage that?

Thx
Bill

Jan-Erik Soderholm

Oct 2, 2016, 7:01:19 AM10/2/16
> OK John. IDK if I'm getting this right. sys$device...

sys$sysdevice.

I do not understand your issues. You are "only" installing the
C compiler, and that should be a totaly problem-free operation
on a newly installed VMS system.

> is not defined I can
> see. So I typed sh dev dua0: which I am mounted on.
>
> Freeblocks are 2475639 then there are Tran blocks which if I remember right...

"Remember right" ???

Why not just copy the output from the command here??

You are doing things *way* harder then needed...

Hans Vlems

Oct 2, 2016, 3:43:06 PM10/2/16
Bill, be kind to Steven because he's just about the only person in this group who is actually trying to help you.
Hans

VAXman-

Oct 2, 2016, 7:13:02 PM10/2/16
In article <a4eb6b43-4972-48bd...@googlegroups.com>, Hans Vlems <hvl...@freenet.de> writes:
>Bill, be kind to Steven because he's just about the only person in this group who is actually trying to help you.
>Hans

Huh?

Bill Cunningham

Oct 3, 2016, 1:45:31 PM10/3/16

"Jan-Erik Soderholm" <jan-erik....@telia.com> wrote in message
The issue here is unzip changes attributes. I with the help of others
got that right.

That memory has to be altered comes from the installation huide for the
C compiler. I will post more errors if that will help. I thought my
descriptions were good. Maybe not. Since I'm using simh I will have to turn
on logging.

Bill Cunningham

Oct 3, 2016, 1:54:37 PM10/3/16

"Hans Vlems" <hvl...@freenet.de> wrote in message
> Bill, be kind to Steven because he's just about the only person in this
> group who is actually trying to help you.
> Hans

Perhaps I am misunderstanding but upthread there is a link to the online
manual I appreciate. And there are a lot of dead links here. It's an online
copy of the C compiler manual I have but looks neater. Steve was criticizing
and gettin hung up on simple typos and anything not at issue. I got a new
keyboard and seem to have more trouble with it than the old one.

Bill

Rich Alderson

Oct 3, 2016, 7:01:45 PM10/3/16

+-------------------+ .:\:\:/:/:.
+-------------------+ / \
| | @@@ / /|,,,,,|\ \
| | @@@ /_// /^\ \\_\
@x@@x@ | | |/ WW( ( ) )WW
\||||/ | | \| __\,,\ /,,/__
\||/ | | | jgs (______Y______)
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\//\/\\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Source:
http://it.geocities.com/roccopapaleo/faq/italiano/asciidontfeed.html

--
Rich Alderson ne...@alderson.users.panix.com
Audendum est, et veritas investiganda; quam etiamsi non assequamur,

John Reagan

Oct 4, 2016, 12:05:01 PM10/4/16
On Saturday, October 1, 2016 at 5:38:06 PM UTC-4, Bill Cunningham wrote:
> "John Reagan" <> wrote in message
Don't overthink this. The Installation Guide gets very detailed since you might have only a few blocks remaining on your system disk or perhaps you only have a few more global pages inside the kernel (the GBLPAGES parameter in MODPARAMS.DAT). You would need GBLPAGES to install the compiler as shared (you aren't going to do that since you aren't a large multi-user system). You also need pages when you update DCLTABLES with the new C command line. The underlying code might have to keep the old DCLTABLES in memory for currently logged-in users) and need more room for the new one going forward. Again, I doubt you have this issue. I hate to say "Don't read the fine manual", but...