Decus list of submitted programs

ronald....@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2018, 4:56:30 AM4/13/18
I am looking for a "directory" listing of all Decus submissions that HAVE the tape name and the subdirectory names and the final submission name or a way in windoze/android/un*x to generate such a list? Thanks. Ron

Volker Halle

Apr 13, 2018, 9:01:03 AM4/13/18
Ron,

would this help ?

The web site www.digiater.nl keeps a list of the 'OpenVMS Decus Archive' under

https://www.digiater.nl/openvms/decus/

Volker.

Glenn Everhart

Apr 14, 2018, 11:45:31 AM4/14/18
On Friday, April 13, 2018 at 4:56:30 AM UTC-4, ronald....@gmail.com wrote:
> I am looking for a "directory" listing of all Decus submissions that HAVE the tape name and the subdirectory names and the final submission name or a way in windoze/android/un*x to generate such a list? Thanks. Ron

You want a directory of sigtape submissions for RSX? VMS? L&T?
I keep a copy of that material on my pc, can make a directory from that. The original tape name would appear early in the path.
Glenn Everhart
g...@gce.name
(note don't just "Reply" here as I believe Google has my son's email and I don't see how to correct it. The email above is right.)

ronald....@gmail.com

Apr 15, 2018, 11:58:06 PM4/15/18
Thanks for the replies. The "digiater.nl" site is my favorite site but they do not appear to have a "master list".

Glen I appreciate your many posts and submissions to Decus over the years. You are a great guy.

Glen I could not reply via your address but I want all you have offered <smile>. Not for me but for all of us that remember part of a name but can't remember the year.

I would love to have the "digiater.nl" site on a set of cds. I am always afraid it will disappear.

I have been to a site that has zips of some of the tapes but I can't remember it. If someone knows it - please post it.

Many thanks you guys. Ron

Graham Burley

Apr 17, 2018, 10:49:42 AM4/17/18
This stuff is available on DECUServe aka EISNER.

This might be sort of what you're after:

$ dir/nohead/notrail disk$repository:[master.vms.sig_tapes.*]

ronald....@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2018, 3:28:50 PM4/18/18
I am not sure what "EISNER" means. Not a simple Google term unless your looking for Disney<smile>.

Tried to register at "decuserve". no prompt. Just a flashing red curser.
Tried a few key commands but no response.

But that is exactly the command I would like to use on "digiater.nl".

Getting closer but not there yet.

Thanks for the tips and please keep them coming.

ronald....@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2018, 3:41:02 PM4/18/18
Got the Eisner thing.

Tried to download the simple telnet app from play store. No such app. Wierd. Suggestions to get ssh?

Thanks. Ron

Hans Vlems

Apr 18, 2018, 3:47:23 PM4/18/18
Putty?

Stephen Hoffman

Apr 18, 2018, 3:57:09 PM4/18/18
On 2018-04-18 19:28:48 +0000, ronald....@gmail.com said:

> I am not sure what "EISNER" means. Not a simple Google term unless
> your looking for Disney<smile>.
>
> Tried to register at "decuserve". no prompt. Just a flashing red curser.
> Tried a few key commands but no response.

The eisner server is commonly referenced by several different names,
including eisner and decus.org and decuserve and probably sometimes
still even as encompasserve.

That server is located at VSI in Bolton Massachusetts.
http://www.vmssoftware.com/news_DECUS.html

Try accessing the eisner server via telnet. telnet
eisner.decuserve.org or such. Log in as user REGISTRATION and follow
the instructions, and you should acquire an OpenVMS login. You'll also
be able to enter "hobbyist" at the command line over there, and get
back some information that'll allow you to apply to HPE to acquire a
hobbyist license, if you've not already done so. That'll get you free
licenses and a way to download OpenVMS kits for OpenVMS VAX, OpenVMS
Alpha and OpenVMS I64.

Eisner is (or was) running very old and known-problematic software;
OpenVMS Alpha V8.3, et al. The ssh server over there has a habit of
tipping over, too.

> But that is exactly the command I would like to use on "digiater.nl".

There's no registration at digiater.nl nor at decuslib.com; those two
are web servers and FTP servers.

decuserve is also running a web server with various host names,
including http://www.decus.org

There's been a long-standing configuration error over on eisner too, so
the host name often shows up in browsers as the IP address; that's
currently 104.207.199.162.

> Getting closer but not there yet.
>
> Thanks for the tips and please keep them coming.

For answers to questions related to OpenVMS, please search the
comp.os.vms newsgroup archives. These newsgroup archives are available
via the Google Groups searches. Where you're apparently posting your
questions to the newsgroup from. Google Groups has an extensive
archive of previous newsgroup discussion topics. As for other
searches, a DuckDuckGo search for decus sigtape directory/ shows other
resources, including http://www.trailing-edge.com/~shoppa/decus/
which appears to have decus sigtape data posted, too. The old OpenVMS
FAQ is located at http://www.hoffmanlabs.com/vmsfaq — various of the
links in that document are rotten, but you're seemingly more interested
in historical information anyway.

--
Pure Personal Opinion | HoffmanLabs LLC

Stephen Hoffman

Apr 18, 2018, 4:04:33 PM4/18/18
On 2018-04-18 19:41:00 +0000, ronald....@gmail.com said:

> Tried to download the simple telnet app from play store. No such app.
> Wierd. Suggestions to get ssh?

From a search for /Android telnet client/ there's a nice list here:
http://appcrawlr.com/android-apps/best-apps-telnet-client Or go ask
some Android folks what they'd recommend for Android? Or maybe use
macOS, BSD, Linux, Windows or OpenVMS as your client? Current macOS
will require an add-on telnet, and Windows 10 has ssh available with
the most current iteration from Microsoft (also see Services For Linux
(SFL) and related) and the add-on PuTTY terminal emulator can be used
on earlier iterations of Windows. For Apple iOS, Panic's Prompt app
works with OpenVMS and other platforms.

hb

Apr 18, 2018, 6:19:57 PM4/18/18
On 04/18/2018 09:57 PM, Stephen Hoffman wrote:

> Eisner is (or was) running very old and known-problematic software;
> OpenVMS Alpha V8.3, et al.    The ssh server over there has a habit of
> tipping over, too.

was, is:

$ sh sys/noproc/full
OpenVMS V8.4-2L2 on node EISNER 18-APR-2018 18:03:52.31 Uptime 5
23:47:56
AlphaServer DS20 500 MHz
$
$ sh net

Product: MULTINET Node: Eisner.Encompasserve.org Address(es): ...
$
$ pipe show net/full |search sys$pipe multinet,rev/match=and/noheader
Process Software MultiNet 5.5 Rev A, AlphaServer DS20 500 MHz, OpenVMS
AXP V8.4-2L2
$

The habit of the early Mercedes A-class? I didn't experience any problem
with ssh.

Stephen Hoffman

Apr 18, 2018, 6:44:25 PM4/18/18
On 2018-04-18 22:19:47 +0000, hb said:

> On 04/18/2018 09:57 PM, Stephen Hoffman wrote:
>
>> Eisner is (or was) running very old and known-problematic software;
>> OpenVMS Alpha V8.3, et al.    The ssh server over there has a habit
>> of tipping over, too.
>
> was, is:
>
> $ sh sys/noproc/full
> OpenVMS V8.4-2L2

That's a pleasant surprise.

> The habit of the early Mercedes A-class? I didn't experience any
> problem with ssh.

Sometimes the ssh server over there tipped over and needed a restart,
and sometimes it's seemingly just some old or misconfigured software...

key_load_public: invalid format
Unable to negotiate with 104.207.199.162 port 22: no matching host key
type found. Their offer: ssh-dss

Yeah, I can downgrade my ssh connections. The local ssh client is a
not-particularly current "OpenSSH_7.4p1, LibreSSL 2.5.0" client. With
OpenVMS, the brute-force command for that ssh connection downgrade
usually looks like this:

ssh -o HostKeyAlgorithms=ssh-rsa,ssh-dss -o
KexAlgorithms=diffie-hellman-group1-sha1 -o Ciphers=aes128-cbc,3des-cbc
-o MACs=hmac-md5,hmac-sha1 us...@host.example

No, I'm not going to suggest using telnet either. Nor should a server
be running telnet on an open network, absent unusual and extenuating
circumstances or a desire to be a honeypot.

hb

Apr 19, 2018, 3:45:18 AM4/19/18
On 04/19/2018 12:44 AM, Stephen Hoffman wrote:

> ssh -o HostKeyAlgorithms=ssh-rsa,ssh-dss -o
> KexAlgorithms=diffie-hellman-group1-sha1 -o Ciphers=aes128-cbc,3des-cbc
> -o MACs=hmac-md5,hmac-sha1 us...@host.example

Having the [bash] history in a file is a good thing. You may want to add
such options to your [.ssh/] config file, but I think I mentioned that
already
(https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.os.vms/a_oux_0E6zc/rg58c_0_BgAJ).

To access eisner with ssh I only need -o HostKeyAlgorithms=ssh-dss. But
my ssh client may be ancient as well.

IanD

Apr 19, 2018, 8:01:26 AM4/19/18
Not specifically replying to Hoff, but the want for a Telnet client on Android that the claim that there was not much around

Good Android telnet/ssh software = JuiceSSH

It's focus is ssh but it will do Telnet. It's highly configurable and quite extensive. I have not used it with Telnet however, only with ssh

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sonelli.juicessh&hl=en

There are heaps of Telnet/ssh software on the Playstore (the below is just for Telnet, I could be bothered also looking for ssh)

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=telnet&c=apps

Graham Burley

Apr 19, 2018, 10:49:30 AM4/19/18
In article <7380a6a0-2113-4e60...@googlegroups.com>, IanD <iloveo...@gmail.com> writes:

>Not specifically replying to Hoff

Not specifically replying to Ian :-)

For folks without a telnet or ssh client there is DCLinabox available
in a modern browser as per links on the DECUServe home page.

DECUServe has been around for 30+ years now. Rejoice.

EVER...@gce.name

Apr 19, 2018, 11:06:34 AM4/19/18
On Friday, April 13, 2018 at 4:56:30 AM UTC-4, ronald....@gmail.com wrote:
> I am looking for a "directory" listing of all Decus submissions that HAVE the tape name and the subdirectory names and the final submission name or a way in windoze/android/un*x to generate such a list? Thanks. Ron

I keep material as virtual disk containers (all ods-2, since older VMS won't grok ods-5 and newer vms has no trouble with ods-2). Also extracted content, and in some cases zip files plus odds and ends. I've tried to get zip files that do not have vms file attributes also, since those are easily read on PCs. Reading vms text files on non-vms systems that don't understand record size information is not so easy. I have a perl program from somewhere that does it, but nothing handy that will work on large collections of files at a time.
Internally zip files storing vms record attributes seem to store a bit image of the original file, and the attributes. Try to extract the file on, say, a linux box and you get the image file and get to figure out the record information yourself. Thus the simplest way to move collections is to store zip without vms attributes for text files, and store files that need the attributes (.obj, .exe, .olb...) separately with them. The zip files come over and text can be shared.

Storing the ods-2 is just good archival practice.

btw my current email (g...@gce.name will do, that's
g c e <at>g c e . n a m e
will get to me.
Some may have noted www.gce.com is no longer my stuff. My material and website can be found at www.gce.name which includes a working linux version of analyticalc, my old spreadsheet. I expect it'll compile on vms just fine too. Some of the old assumptions about address space being small don't make sense now, where a home system might be modestly outfitted with 16gb ram and a few TB of disk. Accordingly I removed some artifacts that limited sizes of data arrays. Damfino whether F4P would be choked on RSX, but the RSX code is still around separately. The .odl tree for that thing was the largest one I ever did...and I am glad not to have to do that any more. It was magical that an overlay system could be so (ab)used to fit that much into 64kb, but it made little changes a challenge.
I am getting some usb devices to put my collection on. Will entertain a limited number of requests for these. Alas, usb devices large enough are too costly to give out like DVDs.
Glenn Everhart

Stephen Hoffman

Apr 19, 2018, 11:49:51 AM4/19/18
I am aware of various options and alternatives and syntax with ssh, and
locally use a brute-force script /usr/local/bin/sethost for
connections. The script allows tailoring of settings by target host,
offers the use of telnet where that's necessarily the only option, and
allows the user to select a generic connection downgrade for
newly-encountered OpenVMS or iLO targets. The cited ssh command is a
brute-force connection downgrade, and works across a variety of
versions of OpenVMS and TCP/IP Services and other IP stacks, and across
various versions of iLO.

Chris

Apr 19, 2018, 12:08:29 PM4/19/18
On 04/16/18 03:58, ronald....@gmail.com wrote:

> I would love to have the "digiater.nl" site on a set of cds. I
> am always afraid it will disappear.

You could use wget to mirror the site, or subdirectories
thereof. You might like to clear it with the site owner,
but most don't seem to mind. Also, run wget with time delay
of say, 1 second between each access, then let it run
overnight. Have done that with quite a few sites that were
in danger of going offline...

Regards,

Chris

Steven Schweda

Apr 19, 2018, 12:35:18 PM4/19/18
> [...] Thus the simplest way to move collections is to store
> zip without vms attributes for text files, and store files
> that need the attributes (.obj, .exe, .olb...) separately
> with them. [...]

Beginning with Zip 2.32 ("June 19th 2006"), you should be
able to store Stream_LF text files using "zip -V", and
extract them anywhere. Info-ZIP UnZip on non-VMS systems can
normally cope with VMS text files with embedded byte counts
(look for "VMS_TEXT_CONV" in an "unzip -v" report), but other
extraction programs may have more trouble. (Bugs in Zip
versions before 2.32 caused files stored with "-V" to be seen
as corrupt (NUL-padded to multiples of 16KB) when extracted
on non-VMS systems.)

It's also possible to run Zip multiple times to add files
to a single archive, so that one could create one archive in
which text files are stored without VMS attributes, and other
files are stored with them.