OpenVMS and NetApp

Shael Richmond

Jul 24, 2015, 4:43:48 PM7/24/15
Has anyone had experience with using a NetApp array connected to OpenVMS? We have always used EVA's and now 3Par's, but after some re-organization all storage falls under our Enterprise storage group.

NetApp has certified their storage for OpenVMS, but I haven't tested it yet. Hopefully we will do that in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks,

Shael Richmond

Craig A. Berry

Jul 24, 2015, 5:32:55 PM7/24/15
On 7/24/15 3:43 PM, Shael Richmond wrote:
> Has anyone had experience with using a NetApp array connected to OpenVMS? We have always used EVA's and now 3Par's, but after some re-organization all storage falls under our Enterprise storage group.
>
> NetApp has certified their storage for OpenVMS, but I haven't tested it yet. Hopefully we will do that in the next couple of weeks.

When we upgraded our NetApp storage about a year ago, we were initially
told that the new array supported VMS. Then we were told that it didn't.
Eventually I heard that someone at NetApp who knew how to support VMS
had passed way in between these two statements.

We didn't need much space so switched to local storage in our VMS system
in order to have something officially supported. But anything and
everything could have changed in the last year so verify with your own
NetApp contacts what they support and get it written into your support
contract.

Regardless of official support, it probably works fine. To get it set
up, you need someone involved who knows that a UDID is not the same
thing as a UUID and also needs to know what the UDID is called in the
particular version of the particular storage console you are using (this
is harder than it sounds as it's been called many different things, even
in different versions of NetApp products). You may or may not need a
dummy LUN depending on your VMS version (I think that requirement went
away in recent versions but don't know details).

Jerome Ibanes

Jul 24, 2015, 11:02:38 PM7/24/15
> Has anyone had experience with using a NetApp array connected to OpenVMS?

Yes, it works well on 8.4.