How to analyze disk error

tadamsmar

Mar 30, 2007, 9:10:18 AM3/30/07
I need a little help analyzing a disk error on VMS 7.3.2.

I am getting one error listed when I do a SHOW ERR for one of my disks
in my shadow set.

I tried ANALYZE/ERROR but it does not seem to be able to do a bit to
text translation.

Do I need to install DIAGNOSE? Or is there a quicker way get more info
on this disk error?

Thanks!

Ian Miller

Mar 30, 2007, 9:24:48 AM3/30/07
what model of Alphaserver?

$ ANALYZE/ERROR/ELV may give you something.

Unfortunately you will need webes for some newer models of
alphaserver.

tadamsmar

Mar 30, 2007, 9:30:04 AM3/30/07

AlphaStation 400

ANALYZE/ERR/ELV does not give much, reports a problem translating. It
does not provide info on the type of error.

With shadowing, I guess I could have a hard error on the disk that is
supressed by shadowing? But with only one error so far, I guess
that's a good sign.

Robert Deininger

Mar 30, 2007, 9:41:30 AM3/30/07
In article <1175261404....@n76g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
"tadamsmar" <tada...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Mar 30, 9:24 am, "Ian Miller" <g...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> what model of Alphaserver?
>>
>> $ ANALYZE/ERROR/ELV may give you something.
>>
>> Unfortunately you will need webes for some newer models of
>> alphaserver.
>
>AlphaStation 400
>
>ANALYZE/ERR/ELV does not give much, reports a problem translating. It
>does not provide info on the type of error.

DIAGNOSE is probably the best bet for hardware errors on that vintage
Alpha system.

Bob Koehler

Apr 2, 2007, 8:49:42 AM4/2/07
In article <1175260217.9...@n76g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>, "tadamsmar" <tada...@yahoo.com> writes:

> I tried ANALYZE/ERROR but it does not seem to be able to do a bit to
> text translation.

Bit level translation generally requires knowing the internals of
the device driver (what data did it actually report), and the
hardware manuals.