Console connection DS20

Jan-Erik Soderholm

Jul 17, 2015, 11:47:07 AM7/17/15
Hi.

We have three similar DS20e systems.
All have a terminal server connections to the console ports.

On two of them, after login in on the "console", it says:

$ sh term
Terminal: _OPA0: ........

In the third it says:

$ sh term
Terminal: _TTA0: ........

And on that last system, there are no OPCOM messages
on the "console" either.

Could it be as simple as that the serial cable
is connected to the wrong COM port on the back?

The systems are remote so I have to register a "support
ticket" to have the RS232 cable moved...

According to the manual it should be the connector
closest to the fans (COM1:)...

Jan-Erik.

abrsvc

Jul 17, 2015, 12:34:38 PM7/17/15
There are 2 DB9 connector on the back of the machine. I believe that you are connected to the second one. I don't recall if they are labeled (0,1) or (1,2).
If labeled (0,1) console is 0. Similarly, if labeled (1,2) console is 1.

Dan

Jan-Erik Soderholm

Jul 17, 2015, 12:56:20 PM7/17/15
Yep, the manual says "COM1" for the console and there are
"COM1" and "COM2" available.

Now, the chapter, where the console connection is described,
has a picture that points to COM2 but says COM1 in the
text right above... :-)

In the chapter about RMC (Remote Management Console) they
also talkes about COM1 but the picture points to the
other COM port...

Well, I'll register a ticket and the local hardware
support can look at it and compare the systems...

Thanks.
Jan-Erik.

Hans Vlems

Jul 17, 2015, 1:25:49 PM7/17/15
It depends on the setting of the srm variable console.
Set to graphics then db9 port 1 is called tta0: and port 2 is called ttb0:
Set to serial and the names revert to opa0: and tta0:
So the device name tta0 always exists and you can set its attributes in a startup procedure. For opa0: and ttb0: it is necessary to check for their presence.

Jan-Erik Soderholm

Jul 17, 2015, 2:22:13 PM7/17/15
OK, thanks. I'll check the console settings also...

Stephen Hoffman

Jul 17, 2015, 2:22:53 PM7/17/15
On 2015-07-17 15:47:06 +0000, Jan-Erik Soderholm said:

> We have three similar DS20e systems.

FWIW, "similar" is much like "compatible" in a bug report. It's often
industry jargon for "different". If the servers were actually
identical, they'd usually be called "identical".

> All have a terminal server connections to the console ports.

> Could it be as simple as that the serial cable is connected to the
> wrong COM port on the back?
> According to the manual it should be the connector closest to the fans
> (COM1:)...

This is expected with the connection via COM2 port.

A TT port can also appear when connected via COM1when the server you've
connected to has the SRM console set to graphics, though that device is
usually TTB0: and not TTA0: with recent OpenVMS. Older OpenVMS
versions IIRC did use TTA0: and did shuffle the port names.

Verify the setting with >>> SHOW CONSOLE or via some (undocumented)
kernel-mode.

--
Pure Personal Opinion | HoffmanLabs LLC

Hans Vlems

Jul 17, 2015, 5:36:55 PM7/17/15
Just to be sure I checked this on a DS20E vms 8.3:
Tta0: always refers to com2
Com1 is either opa0 with console set to serial or ttb0: if console is set to graphics.
Not sure what patches are installed, from memory update-1600 is installed.
So if you're seeing tta0: the wrong port got connected.
Hans

Jan-Erik Soderholm

Jul 18, 2015, 8:29:27 AM7/18/15
Thanks!

Yes, that verifies quite clearly that the cable is connected
to the wrong COM port. I have registred a ticket for the local
support to look at it. They can also simply compare with the
other two systems where the console works just fine... :-)