Gnu Awk on VMS maintainer needed.

John E. Malmberg

Aug 18, 2017, 9:03:37 AM8/18/17
Hello All,

The GNU Awk OR Gawk project is pretty active with changes, and it really
needs someone who uses Gawk on a regular basis to help out on the VMS port.

I have been mostly doing the minimal to keep the current Gnu Awk
building and passing as much tests as practical.

Usually this means just watching the automatic builds and then when
notified that new tests have been added, add the tests to the VMS test
script and hope that they pass.

The GNV Awk package is being built directly from the GNU Awk repository.

Besides this test / new feature maintenance there are a lot of things in
Gawk on VMS that could be improved.

* The GNV integration is not complete. Some code in GNV Diffutuils
updated kit might help there.

* The DCL / shell emulation has issues.

* Related to that above, the spawn/vfork-exec/popen/system code could
probably be greatly improved.

* Need to start building it with 64 bit pointers on Alpha/Itanium.

* At least one additional project for multi-precision math needs to be
ported to VMS for Gawk to be built with to get the same functionality as
Linux. Even better if it could be set up to be dynamically loaded so
that the Gawk package would not have a dependency on it.

I have automatic builds running that build and run the tests on Gnu Awk
every day that a change is committed to the repository.

Builds are currently on VAX/VMS 7.3, Alpha/VMS 8.3/8.4 and IA64/VMS 8.4.

I may drop the Alpha 8.3 builds in the future.

Regards
-John
wb8...@qsl.net_work

Carl Friedberg

Aug 21, 2017, 12:02:30 AM8/21/17
to comp.os.vms to email gateway, John E. Malmberg, Chris Thorn
John, you and I should chat offline about this. I'm sure I can help out
with this. Carl (frie...@esb.com)

John Malmberg

Aug 22, 2017, 10:32:38 PM8/22/17
to Carl Friedberg, comp.os.vms to email gateway, John E. Malmberg, Chris Thorn
Hello Carl,

Yes, any help would be appreciated. I have a ton of stuff added to what
I am doing in trying to get gnulib building and testing.

Regards,
-John