Other VMS logos?

dodecah...@gmail.com

Mar 2, 2015, 8:17:32 AM3/2/15
What do people think about other vms logos?

I know we have the spirally thing that vsi I believe cleverly added x86 to but I was thinking more along the lines of a creature that people would associate vms by

THE V|M|S logo I think is good but it's mostly only recognizable to those who were already familiar with the old DIGITAL wording

I know we have the shark but it looks dated and rather menacing actually, the way some of the configuration stuff is in vms the shark in it's current form might be misinterpreted as something biting you in he arse lol

Linux has the penguin and lots of opensource stuff has animals like hadoop and it's elephant etc

Should we revamp the shark and make him more friendly or pick another animal?

The Phoenix is nice but it still is associated with something rising from the ashes so I'm not totally convinced it's the best mascot going forward

I like Athena as a symbol but the owl isn't my choice, it's lacking the strength part

Hermes is another with a great meaning and Zeus as the lightning bolt is a bit too simplistic

I guess my research into family crsts of late has got me thinning about logo's etc for vms

What do you think would be some good ones ?

Jay Braun

Mar 2, 2015, 8:56:57 AM3/2/15
A vault encircled by padlocked chains.

Kerry Main

Mar 2, 2015, 9:05:04 AM3/2/15
to comp.os.vms to email gateway

VMS has way to many meanings these days - including Cisco's security
firmware: the VMS ship sailed a long time ago.

http://tinyurl.com/cisco-vms

> I know we have the shark but it looks dated and rather menacing
> actually, the way some of the configuration stuff is in vms the shark in it's
> current form might be misinterpreted as something biting you in he arse
> lol

Shark is the code name for IBM storage line ..google IBM shark storage

> Linux has the penguin and lots of opensource stuff has animals like
> hadoop and it's elephant etc
>
> Should we revamp the shark and make him more friendly or pick another
> animal?
>
> The Phoenix is nice but it still is associated with something rising from the
> ashes so I'm not totally convinced it's the best mascot going forward
>
> I like Athena as a symbol but the owl isn't my choice, it's lacking the
> strength part
>
> Hermes is another with a great meaning and Zeus as the lightning bolt is a
> bit too simplistic
>
> I guess my research into family crsts of late has got me thinning about
> logo's etc for vms
>
> What do you think would be some good ones ?

The current curly logo is too hard to read and focuses on HW. Going
forward the focus is not HW platforms, but rather the core OS. Kind
of like Microsoft model except with a real OS...not one that is based
on DOS and Win 95.

Is there a Greek or mythological God of security?

Rather than something cute, how about something like a bank vault

:-)

(yes, I know - lots of work to be done in security area)

Regards,

Kerry Main
Back to the Future IT Inc.
.. Learning from the past to plan the future

Kerry dot main at backtothefutureit dot com

li...@openmailbox.org

Mar 2, 2015, 9:15:04 AM3/2/15
to info...@rbnsn.com
On Mon, 2 Mar 2015 05:56:46 -0800 (PST)
Jay Braun via Info-vax <info...@rbnsn.com> wrote:

> A vault encircled by padlocked chains.

Too late, PGP did this one in the 1980s IIRC

JF Mezei

Mar 2, 2015, 2:36:39 PM3/2/15
On 15-03-02 08:17, dodecah...@gmail.com wrote:

> Should we revamp the shark and make him more friendly or pick another animal?

Hey, when I found the shark artwork and fixed it up, I made the teeth
meaner looking ! Don't try to make the shark look friendlier. We saw
what happened at Superbowl with those friendly sharks :-)

http://www.vaxination.ca/vms/shark/index.html

rdpi...@gmail.com

Mar 2, 2015, 3:51:00 PM3/2/15

Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)

Mar 2, 2015, 4:26:39 PM3/2/15
In article <20b3d243-6b52-4cee...@googlegroups.com>,
dodecah...@gmail.com writes:

> What do people think about other vms logos?

I don't think it matters. The DEC-style one is fine; it is familiar to
the old hands. New folks won't buy a VMS system they otherwise wouldn't
because of a logo.

mcle...@gmail.com

Mar 2, 2015, 4:42:24 PM3/2/15
Having just quickly read this thread for the first time my initial thought for a logo is a star in the form of an X with the points having a little square ... in other words a diagram of a 4-node VMS cluster.

Take it however you like
- VMS is s star (slightly corny)
- starlet, cluster, galaxy are all part of VMS
- VMS was first and is leads with clusters

And if you don't think of the logo as a cluster then think of it as a network diagram or connectivity to devices.

Dirk Munk

Mar 2, 2015, 5:57:59 PM3/2/15
A cow (DeLaval Voluntary Milking System)

Paul Sture

Mar 3, 2015, 3:54:16 AM3/3/15
On 2015-03-02, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
But isn't one of the functions of a logo to invoke positive feelings
(whatever they may be) and attract the attention of the potential new
customer?

--
Don't ever use the last two versions of GCC in serious stuff :)
-- fortune cookie seen on GCC Bugzilla – Bug List

MG

Mar 3, 2015, 7:30:10 AM3/3/15
Paul Sture schreef op 3-mrt-2015 om 08:48:
> But isn't one of the functions of a logo to invoke positive feelings
> (whatever they may be) and attract the attention of the potential new
> customer?

Not too loud! Some people seem to take great offense to this type of
'heresy' in here.

- MG

li...@openmailbox.org

Mar 3, 2015, 8:00:05 AM3/3/15
to info...@rbnsn.com
How about a picture of a ten dollar bill with a NO FLOATING POINT
CALCULATIONS REQUIRED sign diagonally across it? That ought to be good for
a few chuckles ;-)

JF Mezei

Mar 3, 2015, 1:27:57 PM3/3/15

The boring logo is likely a trademark of HP. I suspect VSI has rights to
use it, bot not change it.

However, VSI Inc could have its own logo as a company but may not be
allowed to tie it directly with VMS since VMS is an HP trademark. (or
rather OpenVMS).

It doesn't mean VSI couldn't get permission from HP to change the logo.
But likely means that they have to get permission to do so.

One day, maybe HP will sell VMS to VSI for $1, at which point VSI gets
full freedoms for marketing.

And this brings up an important question: with HP controlling the
trademark, how much does that impede VSI's ability to do marketing ? If
VMS is to get a renaissance 2, the one thing that needs is freedom to do
marketing.

You'll recall the short VMS renaissance under Compaq just prior to the
brutal bloody murder of Alpha. This was all due to Compaq removing the
"do no do any marketing" limitation for VMS and the limited marketing
resulted in near 10% growth in VMS which had been going down fast before.

So, if HP puts sticks into VSI's wheels that make it hard to market VMS,
there could be trouble.

Kuze Keisai

Mar 4, 2015, 8:13:39 AM3/4/15
The art of Liz Climo, and Amika Sterling ,
includes some very nice sharks in the modern comic genre.

They can be found on
http://lizclimo.tumblr.com/ and
http://belovedlights.tumblr.com