HP's VMS files

Bill Cunningham

Sep 26, 2016, 12:34:18 PM9/26/16
I downloaded a new vms 7.3 and many files that were with it. What they
all do IDK. But one is called openvms73.bck or the like. WHat's it for?

Bill

Steven Schweda

Sep 26, 2016, 1:38:33 PM9/26/16
> I downloaded a new vms 7.3 and many files that were with it.

You downloaded _what_, exactly? From where?

> What they all do IDK.

I can believe that.

> But one is called openvms73.bck or the like. WHat's it for?

What it's for might be related to what it's actually called.

Have you considered the advantages of asking a question which offers
even a little accurate, useful information? Or is your goal to waste as
much of everyone's time and patience as possible?

Bill Cunningham

Sep 26, 2016, 5:33:43 PM9/26/16

"Steven Schweda" <sms.an...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Or is your goal to waste as
> much of everyone's time and patience as possible?

[...]

That's not my goal. If I try someone's patience this way I am sorry but I
think it would be good for them to learn more patience. Especially in this
day and age. Now I will list the files names. If you can help I would
appreciate it. f not well sometimes you can't...

openvms73 is the OS file in zip format.
Dataretrieve_72a2.zip
CC064.zip /* which I believe is a C compiler */
dcps_27.zip
decset_122a.zip
vms072lp.zip contains file of same name with extension .bck A backup file I
gather for what IDK.

And that's all I downloaded expect a basic and pascal compiler.

Bill

VAXman-

Sep 26, 2016, 5:38:33 PM9/26/16
The .BCK is very likely an OpenVMS BACKUP saveset. However, you haven't said
from where you've downloaded these files.

Bill Cunningham

Sep 26, 2016, 6:07:00 PM9/26/16

<VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG> wrote in message

> The .BCK is very likely an OpenVMS BACKUP >saveset. However, you haven't
> said
> from where you've downloaded these files.

An ftp link sent by email from HP openvms hobbyist project.

Bill

David Froble

Sep 26, 2016, 6:36:03 PM9/26/16
Well, if you are running VMS, you can see the contents of BACKUP save sets using

BACKUP /LIST <save set name> /SAVE_SET

Usually, when you download a file, or files, the source location has some
information on what the files are, and sometimes even some information about how
to use the files. Did you check out that information?

John E. Malmberg

Sep 26, 2016, 7:01:28 PM9/26/16
https://sourceforge.net/p/vms-ports/wiki/VMSInstallation/

In the discussion area are screenshots of what packages are available
for hobbyists download and a comment about the contents of the ZIP files
to avoid duplicate downloads.

Note that none of the CD-ROM images are ISO volumes.

They are all just disk images.

Regards,
-John
wb8...@qsl.net_work

Steven Schweda

Sep 26, 2016, 9:02:48 PM9/26/16
> [...] Now I will list the files names. [...]
>
> openvms73 is the OS file in zip format.

That's a file name? What, exactly, does "the OS file"
mean to you? Is it a CD-ROM image, or what?

> [...] I think it would be good for them to learn more
> patience. [...]

I think that it would be good for you to learn how to ask
and answer questions. It's really not difficult. This new
copy+paste technology can be useful, too.

> Dataretrieve_72a2.zip

This new copy+paste technology can be useful for avoiding
simple spelling errors, too.

> CC064.zip /* which I believe is a C compiler */

Yup.

> dcps_27.zip
> decset_122a.zip

Did your Web search for, say:
openvms dcps
or:
openvms decset
reveal nothing?

> vms072lp.zip contains file of same name with extension .bck
> A backup file I gather for what IDK.

Not "073"? This new copy+paste technology works on
numbers, too. "LP" might stand fot Layered Products, which
could be an assortment of many things.

> BACKUP /LIST <save set name> /SAVE_SET

Yup.

hb

Sep 27, 2016, 3:33:03 AM9/27/16
On 09/27/2016 12:36 AM, David Froble wrote:
> Well, if you are running VMS, you can see the contents of BACKUP save
> sets using
>
> BACKUP /LIST <save set name> /SAVE_SET

... and if you have built for your system, ask Google for the latest
sources, you can see the contents of a BACKUP save set on non-VMS
systems as well:

Usage: ./vmsbackup [OPTION]... [FILE]...
Version 4.4.3hb
Reads and optionally unpacks OpenVMS BACKUP savesets

Main operation mode:
-t --list List files in saveset
-x --extract Extract files

Available options:
-b --blocksize Use specified blocksize
-B --binary Extract as binary files
-c --complete Retain complete filename
-d --directory Create subdirectories
-e --extension Extract all files
-f --file Read from file
-F --full Full detail in listing
-o --output Extract to file
-s --saveset Read saveset number
-v --verbose List files as they are processed
-V --version Show program version number
-w --confirm Confirm files before restoring
-? --help Display this help message

Bill Cunningham

Sep 27, 2016, 12:35:27 PM9/27/16

"David Froble" <da...@tsoft-inc.com> wrote in message

> Usually, when you download a file, or files, the source location has some
> information on what the files are, and sometimes even some information
> about how to use the files. Did you check out that information?

I didn't see it. It seems any docs are in the zip files.

Bill

John E. Malmberg

Sep 27, 2016, 6:56:20 PM9/27/16
David,

This is the hobbyist distribution. HPE and it predecessors assumed that
the people requesting hobbyists distributions know a few minimum things
including:

1. How to find the online VMS documentation, if nothing else then by
using a search engine.

2. That they can figure out how to properly unzip a zip archive file for
VMS or a CD/DVD image.

3. They can figure out how to either burn a CD/DVD image or copy it to a
target system.

4. They can read the online documentation and follow it.

Yesterday evening I posted a link to what media is available to
hobbyists downloads.

On that same page are links terminal session logs of installations of
most of the layered products available to hobbyists for VAX/VMS 7.3
which should have answered all the questions that he asked today.

And if my memory serves me correctly there was an almost identical
thread a few months back where I also posted the same link for the same
reasons.

Regards,
-John
wb8...@qsl.net_work