VMS JOB in Rhode Island

Sue

Aug 24, 2016, 1:58:41 PM8/24/16
Dear COV,

I am not sure that this is the appropriate place but the following is a VMS Job message I just send out to the VMS SIG.

I received the following request for a VMS Person in Rhode Island. Here are a few additional answers to questions I normally receive when I send out a job so I asked for you. If you do send your resume please let them know you heard about the job from me.

This is a long term contract.
It is on sight, remote working is not available
US Citizenship is not required.
Sponsorship is not available

Here is the email since google recommends not posting with the resume

Lisa dot Brody @ harvardpartners.com
_____________________________________

Hi Sue
My name is Lisa Brody and I am head of Talent Operations at Harvard Partners. We are a strategic IT infrastructure consulting firm headquartered in Boston and I was in touch with ********* about an OpenVMS Systems Admin role that I’m working on and he suggested I contact you.

The opening is a long term contract position in RI and they are interested in candidates who have experience with OpenVMS 8.4,7.0 or 7.3 along with HP Alpha Itanium hardware and cluster experience. They are maintaining 1500 Users and 20 Servers.

I’m happy to discuss the opening further, Please let me know if you’re interested or if you might be able to recommend someone.
Regards,
Lisa Brody

Lisa Brody | Manager Talent Operations
Harvard Partners, LLP
75 Arlington Street Suite 500 | Boston, MA 02116 | USA
Cell 617.543.2437 | Fax 617.969.1148
Office 617.861.4227

David Froble

Aug 24, 2016, 5:46:09 PM8/24/16
Sue wrote:
> Dear COV,
>
> I am not sure that this is the appropriate place but the following is a VMS Job message I just send out to the VMS SIG.

This seems to be the proper place for anything VMS, and usually more.

:-)

> I received the following request for a VMS Person in Rhode Island. Here are a few additional answers to questions I normally receive when I send out a job so I asked for you. If you do send your resume please let them know you heard about the job from me.
>
> This is a long term contract.

Why don't they just hire someone? "Long term contract" sounds a bit lame.

> It is on sight, remote working is not available

System management is sort of a "hands on" type of job.

> US Citizenship is not required.

Well, it ought to be ....

> Sponsorship is not available

What is sponsorship?

Arne Vajhøj

Aug 24, 2016, 8:03:14 PM8/24/16
On 8/24/2016 5:46 PM, David Froble wrote:
> Sue wrote:
>> I received the following request for a VMS Person in Rhode Island.
>> Here are a few additional answers to questions I normally receive when
>> I send out a job so I asked for you. If you do send your resume
>> please let them know you heard about the job from me.
>>
>> This is a long term contract.
>
> Why don't they just hire someone? "Long term contract" sounds a bit lame.

They may not like all the obligations that comes with
permanent employees.

>> US Citizenship is not required.
>
> Well, it ought to be ....

Unless it is top secret stuff then citizenship is usually not required
for jobs.

>> Sponsorship is not available
>
> What is sponsorship?

I would guess H1B sponsorship.

Arne

VAXman-

Aug 25, 2016, 7:33:44 AM8/25/16
In article <npl4iv$2c5$2...@dont-email.me>, David Froble <da...@tsoft-inc.com> writes:
>Sue wrote:
>> Dear COV,
>>
>> I am not sure that this is the appropriate place but the following is a VMS Job message I just send out to the VMS SIG.
>
>This seems to be the proper place for anything VMS, and usually more.
>
>:-)
>
>> I received the following request for a VMS Person in Rhode Island. Here are a few additional answers to questions I normally receive when I send out a job so I asked for you. If you do send your resume please let them know you heard about the job fro
>>
>> This is a long term contract.
>
>Why don't they just hire someone? "Long term contract" sounds a bit lame.
>
>> It is on sight, remote working is not available
>
>System management is sort of a "hands on" type of job.
>
>> US Citizenship is not required.
>
>Well, it ought to be ....
>
>> Sponsorship is not available
>
>What is sponsorship?

This looks like another opportunity to claim that there are no qualified VMS people
so that they can push to get H1B sponsorship. Everyone here should contact them as
a potential candidate. Let's see if there are any responses. I've already reached
out; let's see.

Arne Vajhøj

Aug 25, 2016, 8:23:43 PM8/25/16
On 8/25/2016 7:33 AM, VAX...@SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
> In article <npl4iv$2c5$2...@dont-email.me>, David Froble <da...@tsoft-inc.com> writes:
>> Sue wrote:
>>> Sponsorship is not available
>>
>> What is sponsorship?
>
> This looks like another opportunity to claim that there are no qualified VMS people
> so that they can push to get H1B sponsorship.

Unlikely.

Not being able to recruit local is not a requirement for H1B (LCA).

Not being able to recruit local is only a requirement for green card (LC).

Arne

David Turner

Aug 26, 2016, 9:37:24 AM8/26/16
THe only people I know in Rhode Island are GTECH
The lottery people. And I am sure they would prefer an English speaking
person seeing as they are now a US/UK company. And sponsorship is not
available so no H1B

FYI

Jan-Erik Soderholm

Aug 26, 2016, 10:02:17 AM8/26/16
Den 2016-08-26 kl. 15:37, skrev David Turner:
> THe only people I know in Rhode Island are GTECH
> The lottery people. And I am sure they would prefer an English speaking
> person...

Who within IT isn't English speaking today?

David Turner

Aug 26, 2016, 5:35:11 PM8/26/16
I didn't say have a comprehension of English
I mean ENGLISH speaking. Have you ever talked to customer service or
tech support people in India. They may be using English words but what
they are speaking in most cases is NOT English

David

abrsvc

Aug 26, 2016, 5:45:50 PM8/26/16
Update:

An offer has been made to a candidate.

Jan-Erik Soderholm

Aug 26, 2016, 6:21:02 PM8/26/16
This was not a remote (phone) support position, it was an
on-site "OpenVMS Systems Admin" position.

Of course there are a lot of people from around the
world that could very well fill that position, doesn't
have to be someone with a native English background.

You are just silly.

VAXman-

Aug 26, 2016, 7:47:20 PM8/26/16
In article <LuOdne3GGceT213K...@supernews.com>, David Turner <dtu...@islandco.com> writes:
>THe only people I know in Rhode Island are GTECH
>The lottery people. And I am sure they would prefer an English speaking
>person seeing as they are now a US/UK company. And sponsorship is not
>available so no H1B

I speak English. Perhaps, not fluent British English but I do speak Enlgish,
and I've still not received a reply back from the "headhunter."

David Froble

Aug 26, 2016, 9:03:38 PM8/26/16
VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
> In article <LuOdne3GGceT213K...@supernews.com>, David Turner <dtu...@islandco.com> writes:
>> THe only people I know in Rhode Island are GTECH
>> The lottery people. And I am sure they would prefer an English speaking
>> person seeing as they are now a US/UK company. And sponsorship is not
>> available so no H1B
>
> I speak English. Perhaps, not fluent British English but I do speak Enlgish,
> and I've still not received a reply back from the "headhunter."

Perhaps you aren't qualified ???

:-) :-)

Paul Sture

Aug 27, 2016, 4:52:49 AM8/27/16
"Over-qualified" is the usual euphemism and is usually some mix of "too
expensive" and "we want someone who won't threaten our own position".

The "too expensive" variation is a load of baloney when they've haven't
even asked how much or little you are prepared to work for.

--
It was untidy, so got unplugged.
It was unplugged, so got thrown away.

Bill Gunshannon

Sep 1, 2016, 8:17:40 AM9/1/16
On 8/24/16 5:46 PM, David Froble wrote:
> Sue wrote:
>> Dear COV,
>>
>> I am not sure that this is the appropriate place but the following is
>> a VMS Job message I just send out to the VMS SIG.
>
> This seems to be the proper place for anything VMS, and usually more.
>
> :-)
>
>> I received the following request for a VMS Person in Rhode Island.
>> Here are a few additional answers to questions I normally receive when
>> I send out a job so I asked for you. If you do send your resume
>> please let them know you heard about the job from me.
>>
>> This is a long term contract.
>
> Why don't they just hire someone? "Long term contract" sounds a bit lame.

There is much less administrative overhead for contact workers.
you don't have to deal with withholding taxes or SSI. Also, it usually
means no vacation, paid holidays or benefits.

>> It is on sight, remote working is not available
>
> System management is sort of a "hands on" type of job.
>
>> US Citizenship is not required.
>
> Well, it ought to be ....

Agreed.

>> Sponsorship is not available
>
> What is sponsorship?

Sponsoring a foreigner for their greencard. A practice the should be
eliminated until all Americans have jobs.

bill

Bill Gunshannon

Sep 1, 2016, 7:28:25 PM9/1/16
On 8/26/16 10:02 AM, Jan-Erik Soderholm wrote:
> Den 2016-08-26 kl. 15:37, skrev David Turner:
>> THe only people I know in Rhode Island are GTECH
>> The lottery people. And I am sure they would prefer an English speaking
>> person...
>
> Who within IT isn't English speaking today?

Huh? Did you get the logic wrong on this?
My daughter used to work for a well known scooter company and the IT
department did not speak english at all. All internal communications
was in their native language.

bill

Jan-Erik Soderholm

Sep 2, 2016, 5:44:19 AM9/2/16
Who within IT (looking for a job in the US) isn't English speaking today?

But yes, you have a point anyway. I talked with a hiring company earlier
this year about a (full time consulting) VMS job at a swedish bank, and
speaking and writing Swedish was a requirement. This was due to that the
older staff close to retirement was quite bad in English... :-)

Anyway, my point was that an IT company in the US doesn't have to
get a native US'er to get an "English speaking person", of course.

seasoned_geek

Sep 9, 2016, 9:46:53 AM9/9/16
On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 9:02:17 AM UTC-5, Jan-Erik Soderholm wrote:
> Den 2016-08-26 kl. 15:37, skrev David Turner:
> > THe only people I know in Rhode Island are GTECH
> > The lottery people. And I am sure they would prefer an English speaking
> > person...
>
> Who within IT isn't English speaking today?

Pretty much every off-shore team I've been saddled with. I'm sure there are off-shore teams which can actually speak English, but, the ones I had to deal with for OpenVMS sites couldn't even _fake_ the skill. The on-site person was fluent, but the off-shore component's primary skill was "being priced right."

seasoned_geek

Sep 9, 2016, 10:03:41 AM9/9/16
On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 6:47:20 PM UTC-5, VAXman- wrote:

> I speak English. Perhaps, not fluent British English but I do speak Enlgish,
> and I've still not received a reply back from the "headhunter."

You weren't "priced right."

"Long term contract" is generally a synonym for several diametrically opposed definitions.

1) First time pimp found something lasting longer than 3 months (You'd be surprised just how often this is the translation.)

2) Deathwatch

I love the second definition, especially since it is usually the definition used by the world's most clueless management team.

I have one former client that has been "getting out of" OpenVMS ever since the Gartner Group blew smoke up their most southerly corporate orifice 20+ years ago saying VMS was "non-strategic." This was just before the Gartner Group came up with the criminal enterprise called "right sizing" laying off veteran software developers directly in front of Y2K so upper management could latch onto short term bonuses. But given no bank CEO went to prison over the mortgage fraud (not crisis, fraud) which created the financial crisis, we cannot expect the U.S. Department of Injustice to prosecute the Gartner Group.

Oh, that former client. They are still "getting out of it." Over the years they have gotten into massive financial and legal trouble as a direct result of those attempts, but, they are still "getting out of it" no matter how many CEOs they go through during the process.

At one time I worked on the trading floor system for the Chicago Stock Exchange. It was originally written as a "temporary" solution on PDP hardware in BASIC. Ported to VAX BASIC, then to the Alpha. I don't know if they moved to the Itanic but I do know there were numerous efforts to come up with a replacement system for the trading floor. I can tell you when this "temporary" system went away. It was the day they got rid of the trading floor. I haven't talked to anyone there in years, but the clearing portion may still be ...

Most everyone here probably remembers the Owens Corning saga. One of their locations along the east coast was "getting out of it" and took the absurd action of kicking their staff to the curb. For years we all so postings looking for Cognos PowerHouse consultants to go there. Does anyone know if they are _still_ running OpenVMS and a system written in Cognos PowerHouse?

VAXman-

Sep 9, 2016, 11:23:50 AM9/9/16
In article <e214971a-b751-492e...@googlegroups.com>, seasoned_geek <rol...@logikalsolutions.com> writes:
>On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 6:47:20 PM UTC-5, VAXman- wrote:
>>=20
>> I speak English. Perhaps, not fluent British English but I do speak Enlg=
>ish,
>> and I've still not received a reply back from the "headhunter."
>
>You weren't "priced right."

How would they have known? I didn't state any salary. I didn't even get an
acknowledgement from them that I made contact.

>"Long term contract" is generally a synonym for several diametrically oppos=
>ed definitions.
>
>1) First time pimp found something lasting longer than 3 months (You'd be s=
>urprised just how often this is the translation.)
>
>2) Deathwatch
>
>I love the second definition, especially since it is usually the definition=
> used by the world's most clueless management team.

What other kind of management teams are there?