Discover 2016 London Tech talk DTS

Baldrick

Nov 25, 2016, 4:20:29 AM11/25/16
Well I suppose I should give myself a plug!

Next week as part of the Connect Tech Talks, I'm giving a presentation entitled "Disaster Tolerant Systems keeping the UK Healthy" (Wednesday 30th).

What I'm actually doing - in 30 minutes - is extolling the virtues of clustering, volume shadowing, quorum, and distributed locking.

OK I'm glossing over the details, squishing a 5 day course into 30 minutes is a tall order but the idea is to give attendees a flavour of what it can do, how, and a smidgin of the technicalities. Oh, and by the way IT'S VMS!

I'm describing two real world systems, split site clusters, and some real life examples of how they are managed.

balders.

ps. the other day i came across a service desk operative who commented on my internal chat status 'this is a sticker situation than when sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun' (blackadder) and i was obliged to guide her towards the comedy masterpiece. its almost like saying who is monty python?

Ian Miller

Nov 25, 2016, 5:37:48 AM11/25/16
Good to see someone with a clue [pun intended] is presenting at HPE Discover London 2016 (session DF12122):-)
I also noticed Ken Surplice is doing his bit to remind people VMS is not dead in session DF12030 - I still find many people are not aware that VMS is still being developed and has been outsourced to another company.

Baldrick

Nov 25, 2016, 6:22:05 AM11/25/16
On Friday, 25 November 2016 10:37:48 UTC, Ian Miller wrote:
> On Friday, November 25, 2016 at 9:20:29 AM UTC, Baldrick wrote:
> > Well I suppose I should give myself a plug!

> Good to see someone with a clue [pun intended] is presenting at HPE Discover London 2016 (session DF12122):-)
> I also noticed Ken Surplice is doing his bit to remind people VMS is not dead in session DF12030 - I still find many people are not aware that VMS is still being developed and has been outsourced to another company.

My intent is to drop the bombshell of what it is well after i've opened the sweetie shop. i only reveal its VMS in slide 17 of a 22 slide presentation and i've (in a non-technical way) described what VMS is very good at.

you could liken me to the child catcher, i wouldn't be offended...

Baldrick

Dec 6, 2016, 7:32:53 AM12/6/16
On Friday, 25 November 2016 11:22:05 UTC, Baldrick wrote:
> On Friday, 25 November 2016 10:37:48 UTC, Ian Miller wrote:
> > On Friday, November 25, 2016 at 9:20:29 AM UTC, Baldrick wrote:
> > > Well I suppose I should give myself a plug!
>

> > I also noticed Ken Surplice is doing his bit to remind people VMS is not dead in session DF12030 - I still find many people are not aware that VMS is still being developed and has been outsourced to another company.

Right ! Update !! I didn't have a great take up for my session, it was scheduled around lunchtime and the food offerings I have to say were of a high standard, so HPE put on a pretty decent show on the catering side as well as some good stuff from exhibitors. I think my mistake was NOT to mention OpenVMS...

Then Ken's session was a "sell out", even this end of day 5.30 PM session all seats taken with some people stood up, titled "Advancing your OpenVMS environment on Itanium today and on x86 tomorrow" so people clearly were interested in VMS, one guy hadn't even heard about VSI and was very interested. I was wearing my blue VMS tie (with the silent shaded "Open") and I had comments on it from a few during the 3 days. I was also being collared around various exhibitors and when I said I work with VMS, many immediately recognised it, and I told them where where it was headed!

VSI you should have been there !

The message is clear, I did myself no service trying to sneak VMS in the back door, shout it from the rooftops and the people will come.

Madrid is a nice city and I feel at Discover 2017 VSI should be hosting / presenting one of the larger room sessions. Over to you folks...

Balders.

IanD

Dec 6, 2016, 10:50:46 PM12/6/16
On Tuesday, December 6, 2016 at 11:32:53 PM UTC+11, Baldrick wrote:

<snip>

> VSI you should have been there !

marketing is as important as technical offerings these days

> The message is clear, I did myself no service trying to sneak VMS in the back door, shout it from the rooftops and the people will come.

<snip>

You picked a strategy that you thought would deliver a punchline with surprise value - in this case it didn't work but it might have

The real take is that you were there promoting VMS - give yourself some credit for that!