Changin VMS TPC/IP domain name

Lee Gleason

Apr 14, 2017, 4:22:32 PM4/14/17

I'm running VAX/VMS 7.3, TCP/IP services 5.1. I need to change the domain
name to a different domain.

What's the hot setup for doing this?

Thanks

--
Lee K. Gleason N5ZMR
Control-G Consultants

Steven Schweda

Apr 14, 2017, 5:56:40 PM4/14/17
On Friday, April 14, 2017 at 3:22:32 PM UTC-5, Lee Gleason wrote:
> I'm running VAX/VMS 7.3, TCP/IP services 5.1. I need to change the domain
> name to a different domain.
>
> What's the hot setup for doing this?

Define "hot setup"? Normally, I'd use
SYS$MANAGER:TCPIP$CONFIG.COM. My newer version (V5.7 -
ECO 5) says:

HP TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Core Environment Configuration Menu

Configuration options:

1 - Domain
[...]

Enter configuration option: 1

DOMAIN Configuration

Enter Internet domain [antinode.info]:

Otherwise, I'd guess something like:

tcpip set name_service /domain = XXX

Lee Gleason

Apr 14, 2017, 6:15:04 PM4/14/17

"Steven Schweda" wrote in message

On Friday, April 14, 2017 at 3:22:32 PM UTC-5, Lee Gleason wrote:
>> I'm running VAX/VMS 7.3, TCP/IP services 5.1. I need to change the domain
>> name to a different domain.
>>
>> What's the hot setup for doing this?

> Define "hot setup"? Normally, I'd use

You know, the hot setup - what the fast guys, the cool, tuned in, in the
know hep cats do when they need to do this...

>SYS$MANAGER:TCPIP$CONFIG.COM. My newer version (V5.7 -
>ECO 5) says:
>
> HP TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Core Environment Configuration Menu
>
> Configuration options:
>
> 1 - Domain
[...]

>Enter configuration option: 1
>
>DOMAIN Configuration

Ah, I had tried that, but it didn't look like it worked. But I struck the
rock a second time, and rebooted, and it looks like it did the business.

Thanks

Steven Schweda

Apr 14, 2017, 7:30:07 PM4/14/17
> You know, the hot setup - what the fast guys, the cool,
> tuned in, in the know hep cats do when they need to do
> this...

Ah. I thought that that was the "cool setup". Not being
hep myself, I conjectured that "hot setup" might be one which
avoids a reboot. I also don't know how dynamic that setting
is, so I would not be amazed if a stop-start of TCPIP were
needed to make it effective. A full reboot should certainly
be an adequate club.

> [...] it looks like it did the business.

What could go wrong?